• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Impressions: Mark All Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
So about the Crown update, and the fact that the update we already have doesn't have everything.

I'm assuming there is going to be another update closer to release, but my question is: will our saves get screwed up or anything? I won't have to restart will I?

Ploid 3.0

I saw the 40 and 50 hunt fights on a Japanese youtube with devs or something. They are still dying and using a lot of items to revive full health. Still looking for signs of the combat being interesting. I like that it seems like hunts are in this in full force, too bad the other part doesn't seem to be there (builds, strategy, party composition = I'd enjoy the heck out of it. Still enjoying hunts in FFXII, on the Mandragoras and I'm still scared).

I thought I read somewhere that Noctis has an ipod? Maybe he can listen to music when you are on foot exploring.

It's his phone, it plays music. After combat it starts up again.

Zakalwe

Banned
It's pretty safe to say that everything in 2011 trailer was scrapped, same with 2013 trailer.

That's still development time though. This happens with most design/development processes, early iterations are made/scrapped/remade, you cannot separate the final product from these things.

So about the Crown update, and the fact that the update we already have doesn't have everything.

I'm assuming there is going to be another update closer to release, but my question is: will our saves get screwed up or anything? I won't have to restart will I?

All I've seen missing (aka that people have mentioned not having) is the warp strike and maybe on more thing.

Falk posted a music link but it sounded largely the same to me (I went to sleep, maybe I should go back and track any follow up posts).

I think the update is out and stuff just needs to be unlocked.

DarkStream

Can German/Swiss Gaf that already has the game confirm if it includes English text with Japanese audio?

Need to know if I can buy this in physical formart or if I should go digital from the US store

Wait... It's available in Switzerland?!
Any reference to a post? I could buy it tmrw then ;-)

Is this a good game?

jrpVx2y.jpg

Ploid 3.0

Nice. Can it use the same car songs, or is it separate? I think you buy the songs at the stores, yes?

I don't know, I saw it in a stream on english voice option. I'd imagine it has to be the full selection, there is no reason for it not to be. I believe a past FF game music was playing on the phone. I'd look for the video but I'm sure youtube took it down.

RPGCrazied

I don't know, I saw it in a stream on english voice option. I'd imagine it has to be the full selection, there is no reason for it not to be. I believe a past FF game music was playing on the phone. I'd look for the video but I'm sure youtube took it down.

Oh okay. I'm afraid to use the phone for music and miss out on the other music tracks for the main game.

Falk

that puzzling face
Feels like for most people that'd be something you do when you're grinding out all the optional/postgame content (there's a lot) even if you fancy FFXV's music.

wmlk

Yeah, don't miss out on some cool original tracks by listening to music you've already heard before. Sounds like a mistake.

Is there a quick way of disabling portable music?

Ploid 3.0

Yeah, the phone music is a nice touch for the dead traveling. I'm not even sure if there's background music that plays when you're just exploring and running around. I'll look that up now actually.

At least in the first big map there's no music playing when you're exploring. Edit: ok subtle bgm kicks in nvm.

Yep, this will be good for the farming and grinding. Maybe camping for hunts. I also forgot about city/hub music.

RPGCrazied

Yeah, the phone music is a nice touch for the dead traveling. I'm not even sure if there's background music that plays when you're just exploring and running around. I'll look that up now actually.

Yeah, there wasn't any in one of the demo's. Just music for battles.

I cancelled my order with them after seeing that Simplygames were shipping it today, ordered earlier and it just shipped.

Fingers crossed you ordered before 15:30 otherwise it may not arrive tomorrow for you....

Here's to hoping though buddy!

Yeah, don't miss out on some cool original tracks by listening to music you've already heard before. Sounds like a mistake.

Is there a quick way of disabling portable music?

Part of me thinks if you can buy music tracks for the phone like another user said, you'd be able to buy the tracks from this FF too. Kind of like how you could buy music/movie spheres in FFX

Zakalwe

Banned
If anyone needs a fix while waiting for the real ease date proper, Odin Sphere is heavily discounted on psn and it's one of the best action orientated RPGs I've ever played.

You can dip in and out of it too due to the nature of the combat (early 90s arcade beat-me-up style, so you'll be able to play it around longer sessions of FF15.

Mifec

Fingers crossed you ordered before 15:30 otherwise it may not arrive tomorrow for you....

Here's to hoping though buddy!

Part of me thinks if you can buy music tracks for the phone like another user said, you'd be able to buy the tracks from this FF too. Kind of like how you could buy music/movie spheres in FFX

I just want you to know, that they didn't include To Zanarkand in the FFX tracks on the player, it's a sin.

~Cross~

That's still development time though. This happens with most design/development processes, early iterations are made/scrapped/remade, you cannot separate the final product from these things.

True, but there is a difference between full production and a few dudes throwing ideas, drawing up some art and using an already available engine to model a few assets while they worked on other titles.

No game will be able to have a 300 man team in production for 10 years.

If anyone needs a fix while waiting for the real ease date proper, Odin Sphere is heavily discounted on psn and it's one of the best action orientated RPGs I've ever played.

You can dip in and out of it too due to the nature of the combat (early 90s arcade beat-me-up style, so you'll be able to play it around longer sessions of FF15.

Discounted where? Says $59.99 on the US store.

Servbot24

Banned
Itamuro and Nojima are no Shakespeares.

It's ridiculous to claim that's what they're doing, or that they're even accomplishing a Shakespearean method.
Using a Shakespearean method is easy. Just copy it. He's the most famous writer of all time, so it would be shocking if other writers weren't looking to him for influence. That's how pretty much all art is made. Only question is if it's done well.

True, but there is a difference between full production and a few dudes throwing ideas, drawing up some art and using an already available engine to model a few assets while they worked on other titles.

No game will be able to have a 300 man team in production for 10 years.

Exactly, everything you saw during versus era was either prototype, either barebone concept that would be ideas that could construct the overarching world of Versus, but because it was in a trailer, people will basically believe it will be in the final build. Time for a reality check people.

_Legacy_

Yeaaaah boy. Bought today in London for £55. Seems like they have about 5 copies left. PM if you want info as don't want to out the guy!

What version did you buy? £55 seems a bit much for the standard. I pre-ordered through the XB1 store and it was cheaper!

_Legacy_

So I have played around 27 hours, currently at
Chapter 9 in Altissia to meet Luna
and here are my impressions from what I have played of the game.

Malik's Fantasy - Part 1
Malik's Fantasy - Part 2

Ascension Grid

So the last time I posted, I talked about the combat being great, right? Well there is way to make it even better by upgrading to unlock new skills in the Ascension grid. The ascension grid revolves around a set of categories so we have the 'combat' grid which unlocks new abilities for combos or skills for Noctis. We have the team work grid which works by letting the Party AI learn new abilities or techniques that can come real handy in battle. Then we have the Armiger grid and the Stats grid, the latter of which is important if we want to gain more stats after leveling up. We can basically unlock nodes in that grid to improve our stats like Strength or HP. There are more grids to look into and honestly there is a lot to customize our playthough, depending on our play style. In my case, I focused mostly on Noctis which means I didn't learn new techniques for the party members until after quite a while.

It is easy to have one look at the grid and consider it disappointment and lacking any details but if we play the game, we can soon figure out that it won't be possible to max it out as easily, because it requires a lot of AP. So please keep this in mind and carefully focus on the grid that tailors to your play style. I prefer going all solo with Noctis hence I focused on his grid but I highly recommend to learn some of the better techniques as well have important stat boosting grids unlocked.

Party AI

The party members have a great AI and they do kick ass in battle, however they can also easily get obliterated during some of the tougher boss fights. It is not easy to kill them though and if they do die, we have items like Phoenix Down or Mega Phoenix (for all members) that can review them with full health. But these items are expensive and since there are no monsters that drop gil unlike in the past FFs, money will mostly come through doing sidequests and hunts. We can also sell some of the rare treasure that we pick up during our journey throughout the world.

If you are tired of the Party getting their ass owned in tougher battles, I urge to focus on the Ascension grid related to the party members. First of all, make sure to utilize their technique in battle, as they can be quite handy at times. Secondly, the Ascension grid can add slight tweaks to their AI like if they are close to death, they can use a first aid kit to save their ass. There are more advanced options that are unlocked later but they all require a lot of AP, and as I have said, they don't come easy. So good luck in trying to attempt a balance between your own skills and the Party on the Ascension grid.

Sidequests

Since I have spent a considerable amount of time in the world now, I feel confident in talking in detail about the quests. People said they were mostly fetch quests, which might rub the wrong way, but having spent a considerable amount of time with them, I can safely say that not all of them are simply 'fetch' quests. These quests actually urge us to explore the world map, discover its lore, even if they are simple fetch quests. Attempting more of the quests, I discovered 2 secret dungeons which completely surprised me as I had no idea of their location until I attempted the quests corresponding to them. I also uncovered more of the map and discovered some of the hidden monsters during my exploration. So even if they sound like simple fetch quests, they reward the player with exploration. They are also tied to the narrative it is not like every single one of them has some dumb reason to get the X item and get back.

There are quests to upgrade weapons done by Cid. Quests to upgrade the Regalia so it travels at a faster speed (YES!!!!) and also to make it travel at night without having to bump into enemies on road (YESSSS!!!). The weapon upgrades are all neat and they are done by Cid. I recommend to attempt them as soon as you can because Cid will take his sweet time to complete these quests but the reward is a much better weapon than what we can get at that point.

Aside from the side quests, we have the option to fish and as far as I can tell, it is a fun distraction. We can buy the bait and fishing line from outposts or shops all around the world map and we need a specific bait to catch a certain type of fish, so it is not completely barebone mini game. There is a good amount of work put in it which will please the people who love these type of things in an RPG. There is also racing with the chocobos, which is another thing that I didn't attempt much. I mean I have already played an insane amount of the game and yet there is just so much to do. So yeh, I did skip around some of these side content but I am just pointing it out that it is available in case you want to attempt it.

Talking more about the quests, there are some quests given by people at certain locations and then they change their location. There are also quests that are given by people that maintain their location and this results in a quest loop that can be addicting. MMO players might be familiar this feeling of the quest loop. We just keep doing the quests while getting new ones from the person and it honestly feels like there is no end in sight. So I did drop some of them midway even though I was enjoying my time in attempting them.

There are secret boss fights and dungeons to explore. I discovered two of them thanks to side quests but I am sure there is atleast one more. I saw that dungeon in one of the videos but I haven't come across yet, although it had the Samurai with the mine and Goblins. I discovered the Sewer dungeon and another dungeon that had similarity to
Chapter 7 dungeon
. Keep in mind these are extremely challenging dungeons that require you to be atleast Level 50 before you can attempt them. Otherwise be ready to get your ass kicked.

We have seen the Niflheim base infiltration and it will be a story mission in the game, but there are even optional bases that are scattered throughout the world map. For starters, each of the base is designed in its own way. I played through 3 bases
2 of them are required for story
and each of them had a different design. We can go full stealth in the base or all guns blazing, which won't be easy if we have a low level. The base infilration ends with boss fights with magitek armors over level 50, so make sure you are prepared for the final fight as it won't be easy.

Loot

I feel that this is very important point to highlight here as there is plenty of loot to collect in the world of Final Fantasy XV. I highly recommend to have atleast one of each type of item from the shops across the world map because some of the side quests will require these items, if we already have them, it makes the job easier. Also don't sell every loot that you collect as mentioned above, they can be given in some of the side quests. We can also use the loot to craft magic and some of the more powerful and rare loot can craft a very powerful magic spell. I was able to craft a powerful firga spell having potency of 200+ but sadly there is a damage cap of 9999 and to unlock it, we need an insane amount of AP points (999!!!).

The loot is also unique with each enemy. The larger and harder monster variety drops loot that can be sold for a good amount of gil, or used for weapon upgrade by Cid. They can also be used to craft powerful spells. The smaller enemies also drop loot but of course the rare monsters are the bigger draw here. We can also kill monsters to get some of the food items that can be used by Ignis to cook food, which in turn can give stat buffs. As I played through the game, I learned the importance of these buffs and since some of the bigger buffs can be expensive (there is one in Altissia that can cost 300,000 gil!!!), Ignis' cooking can come handy as he cook them free of cost. Sadly he can only cook at camps which means we will have to look around for camping spots if we want to buff up without having to spend money at a restaurant.

Altissia and Coliseum

So
our entry to Altissia
is a breathtaking visual spectacle. It is like seeing the city of Midgar for the first time. It is easy to get overwhelmed as we enter the city of the first time as it looks like there is a lot to do and discover. The city is huge and full of NPCs and the best part is that we can just stay next to them to hear their conversation. This removes the need to talk to every NPC manually and adds more realism to the exploration aspect. This is nothing new of course, I just wanted to point out that I really like the implementation here in FFXV.

Altissia will offer the players plenty of new things to try. New weapons, sidequests, new items and new hunts. The hunts that are offered in Altissia are all set during the night and I was able to unlock some very powerful hunts including some secret bosses that will please the old FF fans :). They require a higher level of course but no one is stopping you from attempting them. One thing I should mention here is that Altissia hunts somehow allow the option to wait until Nighttime, since every hunt is set at night. This should have been an option with the other hunts dealer as well, so I hope it is added with a patch.

I will conclude this post with the Coliseum impressions. It is basically an arena where we witness the monsters killing each other for sport. We can wager and bet on the monsters by purchasing medals. Our only participation in these battle is through the use of horns that we can blow during the battle. These horns can either boost their attack or provide stat buffs. We start with a default horn which improves the attack, I think. I didn't really look much into it but there was a vendor right outside the Coliseum which was selling horns with different types of buffs/advantages in arena. They were expensive AF though so unless you have a shit load of money, you won't be able to buy them. Watching the battle unfold is actually quite fun and the prizes that we can win in Coliseum range from powerful weapons to new type of Skins for Regalia. Speaking of which, the Big Bang amano artwork is an unlockable skin in the Coliseum but good luck in getting it, as it requires a lot of medals. We initially purchase them through money but we can get more with bets.

To Be Continued

So this concludes my impressions for the second part and I will now post my final part of impressions once I am done with the game. I will have one thing to say though, if you are rushing through the game just to beat the story in a short time, you are missing quite a big chunk of what makes FFXV so good.

Thanks for this, this is the impression I was waiting for!

According to my friend, it's quicker (or relatively the same, he didn't time it, just the feeling he got) to travel by car between the regions then it is to fast travel with the loading screen.

Hes on base PS4. So either the trip isn't long or the loading times are. Take it as you will.

ChazGW7

Yeah, but to have waited 10 years for this game only to beat it in 25 hours would just be depressing. I know I'm going to do everything in this game. Not use fast travel, do every hunt and side quest.

He said 25 to 40... and that's only if you're doing the main story. You just said you are going to do everything the game has to offer, so you will not "beat" the game in 25 hours! It could easily take you past 100 hours from what's been spoken

Plus, the game was rebooted 4 years ago. Yes its been a 10 year wait but you are not playing 10 years worth of content. Lower your expectations dude!

Using a Shakespearean method is easy. Just copy it. He's the most famous writer of all time, so it would be shocking if other writers weren't looking to him for influence. That's how pretty much all art is made. Only question is if it's done well.
I don't believe they're attempting a Shakespearean method in that particular discussed issue, and even if they were, I have no confidence in their ability to pull it off.

Lyonaz

So I either order the game within 30min for €50 and get to play it tomorrow or I'll wait for my Deluxe Edition that comes tuesday...

Decisions, decisions.. uggh.

Just a general heads up if you paid for next day delivery from simply, you wont get the game till tuesday.... seeing people on the reddit make this mistake lol

My reaction to the story
and gameplay sections
from
Chapter 10 to 12.

Pdg0hjq.png

Also
Chapter 13
is the worst thing to happen to FF since FFXIII.

The should fire the designer that gave the idea for Chapter 13 and never let him work on another FF again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom