• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor Mill (TAKE WITH GRAIN OF SALT): Marvel vs Capcom 4 revealing at PSX/Capcom Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eolz

As someone with no familiarity with fighting games, won't this cannibalize sales and community for Street Fighter V since that just came out?

Not really no. It's a different kind of fighter, while still being a Capcom fighter.

As someone with no familiarity with fighting games, won't this cannibalize sales and community for Street Fighter V since that just came out?

Not anymore so than other fighting games existing along side it. There's some overlap I'm sure but they are two different styles of fighting games.

It's making about $25+ million a month.

I think Marvel would probably want a heavily updated fighting game under the service game model on consoles to complement that. I just don't know if it would be Capcom or someone else they would do it with, since they have a few options (Namco, Capcom, Iron Galaxy, or maybe even just convincing Kabam to make a more complex fighter for consoles as well).
Well shit maybe they're better off making a CoC on consoles and having it connected to mobile version. Kinda like Injustice and MKX already do.

.la1n

I think Capcom is IP rich enough that they don't need to invest in the Marvel license to create a successful VS game. Having said that; MvC is my favorite fighting game franchise so there is no way I wouldn't lose my shit over this.

kirblar

Yet no Black Panther or Jessica Jones.

HmmmmmmmmM~
TV/Movies have had a complete breakdown where they're not talking to each other. I wouldn't get your hopes up for any TV characters, unfortunately.
No, it's a symbiotic relationship.

MvC3 got me back into FGs, which got me back into SF.

A new mvc game could make sense if they have plans to esport it up. Historically it's been dominated by American players so they avoid the problem of top players not being able to do interviews and identify with the NA tv audience.

SaikyoBro

I wouldn't really think so, I think if anything they'd help each other, especially since SFV has already dropped in price so much.

I do worry that SFV's terrible launch might have cost them some faith but if they've truly learned from it than I don't think they'll have to worry about it. My biggest hope is that they launch with a big enough roster (I think 35-40 has to be bare minimum at this point) and the kind of features/modes people are going to be expecting, hopefully including a cinematic story mode like Street Fighter's.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well shit maybe they're better off making a CoC on consoles and having it connected to mobile version. Kinda like Injustice and MKX already do.

I think there's an argument to having an all Marvel fighter. It mainly depends on who they can get to make their games though, because devs that can make high end console games and are available to work with are few and far between.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
more like MCU vs Capcom am I rite?

actually that would be fine

Ironman
Captain America
Thor
Black Widow
Hawkeye
Scarlet Witch
Vision
Quicksilver
Spider Man
Hulk
Ant Man
Black Panther
Starlord
Drax
Rocket Racoon
Groot
Gamora
Mantis
Thanos
War Machine
Dr. Strange
Loki
Winter Soldier
Daredevil
Punisher
Luke Cage
Iron Fist
Quake
Ghost Rider
Valkyrie
Falcon

did I forget someone that could be included in a MCU only roster?

edit: well and the Royal Family assuming that Inhumans show coming next year has the main characters. Blackbolt and Medusa at least.

Eolz

I mean if Sony ponies up the money like Street Fighter V it will be.

Ponying up the money for both Capcom AND Disney? No way.
Just like a Darkstalkers 4 wouldn't happen with moneyhatting, there's limits when it still puts employees off other projects.

kirblar

I wouldn't really think so, I think if anything they'd help each other, especially since SFV has already dropped in price so much.

I do worry that SFV's terrible launch might have cost them some faith but if they've truly learned from it than I don't think they'll have to worry about it. My biggest hope is that they launch with a big enough roster (I think 35-40 has to be bare minimum at this point) and the kind of features/modes people are going to be expecting, hopefully including a cinematic story mode like Street Fighter's.
The big thing with Marvel - a trickle release like LoL/SFV would be a terrible idea for the game. They'd want to stick to an expansion-style model with large amounts of content coming at once (even if the updates are smaller in scale than w/ something like MvC3->UMvC3.)

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I'm all up in this hype...once receipts are provided to the mods. Until then...Capcom pls. Marvel pls.

Anth0ny

they need to PUMP DLC out with this thing. non stop.

in exchange, let capcom support the fucking thing beyond a year. please.

Jawmuncher

Just like a Darkstalkers 4 wouldn't happen with moneyhatting, there's limits when it still puts employees off other projects.

I don't think they have to pony up money to Disney to get a negotiation. The new Spider-Man game is exclusive and not many people thought that would happen. Sony probably paying for exclusivity and playing the middle man with capcom and Disney

AAMARMO

Banned
Cx-46tyVQAAd7Wm.jpg

Given Sony's history with working with Capcom on SFV and Marvel with the new Spider-Man game, this does seem plausible.

Won't hold my breath though.

Eolz

I don't think they have to pony up money to Disney to get a negotiation. The new Spider-Man game is exclusive and not many people thought that would happen. Sony probably paying for exclusivity and playing the middle man with capcom and Disney

Spiderman is a single IP that they negociated the exclusivity of.
What would be the point of Sony to "get a negotiation" without it being an exclusive, and the point of Capcom to have to pay for the licences? The former would have no real interest when they have a bigger Capcom and a bigger Marvel exclusive, and the latter has money and energy better spent elsewhere at the moment.

bman94

Sony already has a good relationship with both so I odn't see that being a problem. And Sony already has a large chunk of the FGC thanks to Tekken and Street Fighter V so I dont' see why they wouldn't triple down with Marvel Vs. Capcom 4 and be the default fighting game console this generation.

If marvel vs capcom 4 is indeed a thing, and that's a big damn IF. I think there's going to be more than just money involved.

...like?

Ryce

I really didn’t intend for a thread to be made out of my GAF post, but if a mod wants to PM me I’ll share a bit more of what I know. I just don’t want people to think I’m making this up.

Just to clarify, I heard that MvC4 will be announced after the Capcom Cup grand finals at PSX, not during the press conference itself.

Eolz

Sony already has a good relationship with both so I odn't see that being a problem. And Sony already has a large chunk of the FGC thanks to Tekken and Street Fighter V so I dont' see why they wouldn't triple down with Marvel Vs. Capcom 4 and be the default fighting game console this generation.

They are already the default fighting game console this generation, whether MvC4 would be an exclusive or not. It's not just a matter of good relationships and EVO numbers...

liquidtmd

Banned
I really didn’t intend for a thread to be made out of my GAF post, but if a mod wants to PM me I’ll share a bit more of what I know. I just don’t want people to think I’m making this up.

Just to clarify, I heard that MvC4 will be announced after the Capcom Cup grand finals at PSX, not during the press conference itself.

will-smith-fresh-prince.gif

HardRojo

You know what, I won't hype myself up for nothing, I will only be expecting SFV news and nothing else from Capcom. If they finally want to reveal stuff like DMC5 and MvC4, then so be it, but I won't set myself up for disappointment.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I thought sony in general was involved with the movies which is why the spiderman game is happening. idk.
Yeah they have the movie license, makes it pretty easy to request a exclusive Spider-Man game if they're paying for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom