• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan: Final Fantasy XV down ~56% from FF13, lowest singleplayer debut since FF5

duckroll

Haha good point. However when Ps3's user base was at like 7 or 8 million in 2009 and PS4 is at I think 1.1 million in Japan, there is a big difference that has to be addresse. it looks like that almost half the people who had the Ps4 bought the game.

No, actually that's wrong. The PS3 userbase just before FFXIII came out was like 4 million. The PS4 userbase just before FFXV came out was 3.6 million. The hardware gap isn't that wide. People are just sick of paying 8800yen for garbage games when they can play awesome free games on their phones like Terra Battle from the Father of Final Fantasy instead.

This is what happens when try to target everyone and end up pissing off long time fans.
While not getting any new people to buy your game.

Blobbers

pdsTqNH

never forget

ayy

Go_Ly_Dow

That was FFXV

Not really, I don't feel XV's character designs and general aesthetics were created this way to directly appeal to Western markets. The real world approach was just something Nomura's team wanted to try since it had never been done before. A lot of it existed when it was Versus.

Shinji Hashimoto has already stated the next FF won't necessarily go down the same avenues as XV.

sublimit

Banned
The main party could not be more pandering to its native market.

The main party got a pretty big make over to appeal more to Western people with the end result being a weird mix of characteristics that look strange to both Western and Japanese fans IMO.

tomhan

Personally I'm just glad that the game turned out to be good, how many copies it sells is only important for Final Fantasy's future. The issue at hand is what impact this will have on the next FF if FF XV is a critical success but doesn't meet financial expectations (which seems to be the case but could change).

Will Square give the development team the same time and financial resources to make another good game. I think because of the critical success there isn't much to be worried about but not meeting financial expectations does make it a concern that they could blow it all up and try something radically different. Which may or may not be a good thing.

JBwB

It's a sign of the times for gaming in Japan. Console gaming is not valued as much as it was last generation. Nowadays it's all about that handheld / mobile market.

marrec

Banned
No, actually that's wrong. The PS3 userbase just before FFXIII came out was like 4 million. The PS4 userbase just before FFXV came out was 3.6 million. The hardware gap isn't that wide. People are just sick of paying 8800yen for garbage games when they can play awesome free games on their phones like Terra Battle from the Father of Final Fantasy instead.

FF 16 to be a gacha game

hank_tree

How can we blame "the state of consoles in Japan" when games like persona 5 have had their biggest openings in history? Didn't Atlus just say P5 was their strongest debut, sales wise?

Looks more like FF falling off than consoles in Japan.

Persona 5 sold about half what FFXV sold and it was on both PS3 and PS4. I'm pretty sure 700,000 on it's first week makes FFXV would put FFXV very close to the top of fastest selling PS4 games in Japan.

Seems to me it'd be far more apt to compare XV's sales to its contemporaries, given how different the console market is (especially in Japan) from when XIII launched.

Like, how does XV's launch compare to other JRPGs or big budget Japanese titles today?

This was in August, but FFXV's first week has sold more than any of the top 50 games of japan's first 8 months. Why people ignore this, idk.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/08/01/japans-best-selling-games-2016/

HotHamBoy

I keep forgetting how much more these games cost in Japan. That makes it all the more insulting to deliver the product that they did.

Yeesh.

I imagine the combat and open world is a bit of a turn off, too. FF and Dragon Quest have largely been seen as chillout games. This game is far more agressive and far less passive.

RibMan

Disappointing news for the franchise. Weirdly enough, I think FF will recover. Both FF14 and FF15 have a positive reputation that can benefit the next FF game. Given the development time FF15 went through, I'm actually impressed the performance -- both critically and commercially -- wasn't a complete nightmare.

I think they really need to nail the FF7 remake. If they can go into FF16 with overall positive impressions from FF14, FF15, and FF7R, then I think a lot more people will be on board to play it.

LordKano

Persona 5 sold about half what FFXV sold and it was on both PS3 and PS4. I'm pretty sure 700,000 on it's first week makes FFXV would put FFXV very close to the top of fastest selling PS4 games in Japan.

FFXV is probably already the best selling PS4 games with its first week alone. I don't recall a single PS4 game that did better tbh.

Sad considering FFXV is at least 56% better than FFXIII but i don't think there's anything they could have done to not see some sort of drop of there. At least it's doing well worldwide.

0000qgbh

Noctis > Lightning still

18% of japanese PS4 owners bought FF XV this week.

35% of japanese PS3 owners bought FF XIII during its first week.

It's more about the brand than about PS4.

Which is weird because nowhere else globally is the brand down so much, its even likely to have grown in some areas like Asia.

Yeah, after XIII, there is no way I'm ever buying a FF game at full price again. Maybe once it hits the bargain bins I might go pick it up, but there are tons of games out already to play this holiday season, XV can wait until spring/summer.

Not surprising considering that the console market is in the shitter in Japan, no way it'd pull the same numbers a game did 7 years ago did. 700k is still a pretty decent start... highest selling PS4 game at this point, yeah?

Could've been worse

Toth

Your right about the amounts. The point about Persona 5 though still stands.

Kill3r7

I try to remember recent new releases of other titles for PS4 in Japan, and, I think that ~700000 is not that bad nowadays (for Japan only).

How many PS3s were sold through when FFXIII vs PS4s today? That should give us a better idea. My guess is that it is more of FFXV problem.

bigol

If it has art as good as this it'll already be more appealing than FFXV.

1124_fukushu_chara.png

I don't like that art. I don't like FF XV characters art too,it's too realistic. Something like FF VI,VII would be good. A good mix of realistic and fantasy art.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
There it is.

Awful prospect for the FF franchise in Japan.

Yet the game is amazing IMO and is resonating well with a whole new gamer generation in the west and everywhere else (it's on fire down here in NZ too, lots of sales if people talking here is anything to go by).

I guess it's just an evolution of the franchise in where it's doing well, also I see it having very long legs with the way word of mouth is going: feels like cult hit after the XIII and co ventures.

duckroll

Which is weird because nowhere else globally is the brand down so much, its even likely to have grown in some areas like Asia.

It's not weird. Growth in Asia is completely normal because it is a developing market. In the past Japan completely ignored Asia and only published Japanese games in Asia. When they realized they were throwing money away by not building on an interested audience, they started paying more attention to actually publishing games here in languages the people actually understand, and having proper marketing and events that serve the local market.

The Asian market isn't suddenly getting more interested, we've always been interested, but instead of buying US or JP imports, we can actually buy local versions now.

Top Bottom