• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV is second fastest selling FF game in the UK [Up: Week 2 down 75%]

Zedark

How do the install bases between 360/PS3 and PS4/XB1 compare at the release of each game?

Cos I'm quite surprised it couldn't beat 13 :/

You should realise 2 things. First, there is a digital percentage that will increase this number. Secondly, FFXIII had enormous hype behind it (yes, really), which may have cause it to sell sp much in its first week (it is renowned for its awful legs as well). This result is not at all bad imo, actually pretty good.

Kill3r7

FFXIII only had a 54:46 split in favor of PS3, so it's a huge shift.

Very different market today vs back then. Based on the numbers and what we know, some of those 360 folks have migrated to PS4. Also, the X1 player base is pretty different than it use to be. Case in point, Halo and Gears.

Fbh

Good news :D

Whatever issues some people might have with the game, big budget JRPG's selling well will allways be a positive thing for me

Zafir

NA and UK are the biggest areas of digital adoption growth:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

I know people who buy directly on Steam despite their prices being £10 odd more because of convenience. (Though it really isn't that much more effort to buy it cheaper....)

Mind you, I do wonder if that's just for titles like FIFA, CoD, Battlefield where it probably is beneficial to have a digital copy if you play it a lot so you don't have to shove in a disk every single time.

But then again, I guess in general people aren't really buying many games outside those 3 in the UK, heh. :p

Makes me sad though, means the digital prices will never be fixed if people are alrewady caving on them. Sigh.

AHA-Lambda

As mentioned before, 13 had no digital copy at that time

And? It's said every single week that digital has little impact on these sales. Even with digital it's very likely under 13

Cos isn't the PS4/xb1 install base bigger than the 360/PS3 base was when 13 released?

Even if you added an unlikely 30% of digital sales, it's still a sizeable drop from XIII.

Exactly.

You should realise 2 things. First, there is a digital percentage that will increase this number. Secondly, FFXIII had enormous hype behind it (yes, really), which may have cause it to sell sp much in its first week (it is renowned for its awful legs as well). This result is not at all bad imo, actually pretty good.

Well if I was SE I'd be asking myself why hype was lower for a game that took 10 years to make and is the first mainline FF game in 6 years and for a new generation of consoles.
To me not outdoing a game from 6 years ago on a bigger(?) install base ain't praiseworthy

Scrawnton

XV will most likely outsell XIII in the long run though.

This. XV has good word of mouth, has depth, mass appeal, stream appeal, and DLC support for up to a year so I think the legs in this will be much better than XIII which fell flat two weeks after release.

Jawmuncher

I figured it wouldn't pass 13 launch. This had hype, but that launch was even bigger. Especially with the whole first time going multiplat for mainline.

Hasney

Even if you added an unlikely 30% of digital sales, it's still a sizeable drop from XIII.

Actually, it would put it in the range of the known figures we have of XIII. If that range is 70% of the sales, you divide the number by 0.70. So in the middle, taking 125000, it would make sales overall 178,571.

Like I said, probably didn't do 30%, but if it did, it would put it in line with XIII.

LordKano

This. XV has good word of mouth, has depth, mass appeal, stream appeal, and DLC support for up to a year so I think the legs in this will be much better than XIII which fell flat two weeks after release.

I can't really say the word of mouth I've witnessed these last days is that good...

Zafir

I can't really say the word of mouth I've testify these last days is that good...

It's better than XIII's lol.

People were on the war path for XIII. I've not seen anything quite that bad, it's mostly just disappointed comments. A good amount of people, like myself, are still enjoying it despite the issues.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Final Fantasy debuted in Europe 19 years ago topping the UK charts with Final Fantasy VII

Square and Nintendo can go and fornicate themselves, I still haven't forgiven them for how they treated Europe in the 90's.

Im amazed nearly 30k people bought it on Xbox, I don't know anyone that did either at retail or through digital.

That's actually better than I thought it would do, lol

Mr_Moogle

Remember, we didn't get FF games over here really until FF7, so there wasn't really a lot of nostalgia/love for the series until the Playstation generation grew up outside of the RPG hardcore.

Those bastards didn't even release Chrono Trigger or FFT here either. Fans of JRPG's in PAL territories had it tough in those days.

It sucked being in Australia because you were basically waiting for translation into European languages for no reason.

There was like a 6 month delay between the US version of FFX and the PAL release. It was brutal and when it finally came out, it wasn't even properly localised.

ethomaz

Banned
Not at all FF13 wasn't available digitally for a starter
People are putting too much weight in digital this time... this game was not released same day retail/digital.

The street date broke 2 weeks before the plan and a lot of gamers get it a week before... it is FF after all and probably some digital buyers choose retail to play the game.

I guess retail early release affect digital sales but of course I can be wrong... I'm just using common sense.

hussmk

Neo Member
A decline from XIII is sad, but releasing in the December period will give the game relatively stronger legs (XIII had absolutely atrocious legs, after all). The difference in first week sales isn't that significant, FFXV could still come out on top in the UK but we'll have to wait and see.

redcrayon

Actually, it would put it in the range of the known figures we have of XIII. If that range is 70% of the sales, you divide the number by 0.70. So in the middle, taking 125000, it would make sales overall 178,571.

Like I said, probably didn't do 30%, but if it did, it would put it in line with XIII.
Fair point.

ethomaz

Banned
But it makes it a lot closer and considering how big the opening for XIII was by Final Fantasy standards it's decent result.
FFXIII was the first game to have big launch numbes outside Japan... so it is normal the new game sells better than the previous FFs that did really low numbers in US and a bit better in EU.

If you account Japan only FFXIII already did below what you expect from FF franchise.

The hype for XIII was much higher and I think there was some disappointment with that game so a drop should be expected. I don't think XV will see exceptional legs though.

Top Bottom