• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sales: In terms of UK boxed sales, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth's opening week is down nearly 30% over the launch of the previous game

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
This data isn't that useful without the digital data to back it up.

Physical sales are getting lower every year and more publishers are releasing their games digital only. It's makes sense that more people will be transitioning to digital purchases.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Not good. Install base is almost 50 million but people in uk are not buying games anymore. Digital should make up for it and get them close to the last game but sequels should sell more upfront.

No idea what’s going on in the uk. U.s sales have been fine. Maybe no one wants to pay $70 pounds for these games.

Raven117

Install base is irrelevant. BOTW went on to sell 30M+ copies and started off with an install base of 0 (or 12M for the Wii U but no one bought that).

Games of that caliber move consoles, not the other way around.

The big x-factor here are digital sales because they represent a significantly higher amount than they did back when Remake was released.
Stop. This is not apples to apples.

Whether the sales of Rebirth are good or not… don’t know. But to compare it to a launch Nintendo Switch title is just silly.

ByWatterson

I mean it might be lower overall, but are we really still doing the "UK boxed chart means a ton" thing? It has proven so unreliable in the past, especially given how boxed sales go down and down year after year.

near

Gold Member
Super Mario 64, best-selling N64 game and a launch title. The list can go on because once again, when a platform has lots of great games, people will buy them. The amount of great games explains the amount of console sales, not the other way around.

vOmDVuL.png

Look at the top-selling PS2 games. You'd think the best-selling ones would all be late games but 6/10 came out within 2 years of the platform's release.

What about PS4? Same thing. Second best-selling game is GTA IV that came out in 2014. Third one is Uncharted 4 that came out in May 2016, 1.5 years after launch. The The Witcher 3, 6 months later. And it goes on and on and on.

Some titles don't have the capacity to move systems, while others do. I don't see how that list proves the irrelevancy of having a higher install base.

I'm discussing long term sales and totals. The argument that the main difference explaining the boxed sales disparity is the install base is incorrect. A much more important factor is the split between digital and physical, and the fact that FF VII Remake was released during the peak of the COVID. These are much more relevant than a 60M install base vs 90-100M.

Right, if you're discussing long term sales and totals, then you account for the continued growth and sales of the system it is also being sold on. I can agree with you on the argument that the boxed sales disparity in this case isn't solely due to the current install base. As there are a variety of other factors to consider. Having said that, install base is always relevant to sales data.

ProtoByte

Just keep in mind that the digital ratio for Rebirth should be considerably higher vs Remake due to the Twin Pack they offered with Intergrade for free which was a big incentive to go digital vs physical on this one.
I wouldn't be so about it be way higher... the type of player that wants FF is always going to skew physical.

wa600

So I looked a bit through that forum and someone wrote remake on ps4 had 60k debut, but then also XV had 94.8k debut on ps4 plus another 25.2k on xbox. Thats exactly double compared to remake. My question is.. how?!
Are these numbers published anywhere?

So I looked a bit through that forum and someone wrote remake on ps4 had 60k debut, but then also XV had 94.8k debut on ps4 plus another 25.2k on xbox. Thats exactly double compared to remake. My question is.. how?!
FFXV is one of the best selling FF games ever. Not sure why that's surprising.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

And those games' numbers are in a time when digital wasn't that crazy. This 41k isn't the full picture. It's good data, but not all the data.

NEbeast

Super Mario 64, best-selling N64 game and a launch title. The list can go on because once again, when a platform has lots of great games, people will buy them. The amount of great games explains the amount of console sales, not the other way around.

vOmDVuL.png

Look at the top-selling PS2 games. You'd think the best-selling ones would all be late games but 6/10 came out within 2 years of the platform's release.

What about PS4? Same thing. Second best-selling game is GTA IV that came out in 2014. Third one is Uncharted 4 that came out in May 2016, 1.5 years after launch. The The Witcher 3, 6 months later. And it goes on and on and on.

I'm discussing long term sales and totals. The argument that the main difference explaining the boxed sales disparity is the install base is incorrect. A much more important factor is the split between digital and physical, and the fact that FF VII Remake was released during the peak of the COVID. These are much more relevant than a 60M install base vs 90-100M.

They don't have a major impact on AAA exclusive lifetime sales as countless examples show. Furthermore, the smashing success of BOTW is more responsible for those big numbers than the number of Switches available for TOTK. Games sell consoles, not the other way around. Halo 2 was one of the best-selling games of its generation and there were what, 25M Xbox sold?
You seem happy that this game is selling less. Why? It's a little weird.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
You seem happy that this game is selling less. Why? It's a little weird.
Where did you even get that? I'm saying install base in this context doesn't explain the lower physical sales. Rather, this is due to the higher digital percentage.

Last edited:
Remake debuted with 100-110million PS4s, and sold 60K* at launch in the UK.

Rebirth debuted with 55million PS5s, and sold 42K* at launch in the UK.

Selling 30% less physical copies against 50% less consoles is rather impressive. I'll be curious to see UK digital sales data, we could be on track to match or exceed Remake's first week sales, if it does, that will be insane because there is literally 50% less hardware to sell this game on.

Last edited:

wa600

FFXV is one of the best selling FF games ever. Not sure why that's surprising.
A lot of people argue that 15 didnt start that amazing and it was the price drops that pushed the numbers.
In Japan Remake & 15 had pretty much 1:1 physical sales in their debut week. So a 2:1 from UK is a different beast.

Larivel

Userbase says nothing really.

GT3, FFX, MGS2,DMC1, Onimusha 1, KH1 and God of War 1 etc all have something in common. They sold better than their sequels released on a far bigger usebase. And no, FFXII wasn't seen as a shit game either, it reviewed better actually.
It's not the only factor, but I don't see how having a bigger install base wouldn't result in higher sales. They maybe wouldn't be higher than FF7 Remake, but I would bet that the gap wouldn't be 30%.

mckmas8808

Where did you even get that? I'm saying install base in this context doesn't explain the lower physical sales. Rather, this is due to the higher digital percentage.

But we aren't talking about lifetime physical sales. But first week physical sales. It 100% matters what the console base numbers are. 100%!!!

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Userbase says nothing really.

GT3, FFX, MGS2,DMC1, Onimusha 1, KH1 and God of War 1 etc all have something in common. They sold better than their sequels released on a far bigger usebase. And no, FFXII wasn't seen as a shit game either, it reviewed better actually.
Yeah there is something else at play here and that’s far more interesting to dissect than blaming it on the userbase which is already pushing 50 million.

If I was SE, I would look at whether or not it was a good idea to make up a brand new 30 hour game instead of including a lot of these rebirth levels in the first game. Was it a good idea to split it into 3 games?

It's also possible the first game wasnt as well received as they thought. At least not with the fanbase or rather the casuals who picked up the first and just didnt care for it.

Lastly, i dont think the FF series is as popular today as it was in the past. FF16 proved that. Its a franchise on the way down and their attempts to rejuvenate it havent brought in new players. I thought FF16 demo was absolutely fantastic and was shocked to see it disappear from the charts after selling 3 million in the first week.

Maybe the demand for JRPGs is dying. Blaming covid, digital sales, and install base is easy. These games have sold far worse than FF15 did almost 8 years ago. Thats not a good trend.

Go_Ly_Dow

So about 30% under Remake and 30% over FF16, but a bit of a useless comparison without digital. On one hand FF7 Remake launched on double the install base at the start of the pandemic, but on the other digital sales are likely a fair bit higher now since 2020 and Rebirth had a digital dual pack where you get Remake for free.

16 was frontloaded and we know it sold 3mil copies in the 1st week of release. I think Rebirth should have more sustained sales as it's open world, its FF7, higher metacritic (92 vs 87) a crazy high metacritic userscore (9.0 vs 8.1), better word of mouth and you have part 1 and in a few years part 3 driving interest into it.

It's an exceptional game and more will play it I'm sure once word gets around and as the trilogy of games comes to an end.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Yeah there is something else at play here and that’s far more interesting to dissect than blaming it on the userbase which is already pushing 50 million.

If I was SE, I would look at whether or not it was a good idea to make up a brand new 30 hour game instead of including a lot of these rebirth levels in the first game. Was it a good idea to split it into 3 games?

It's also possible the first game wasnt as well received as they thought. At least not with the fanbase or rather the casuals who picked up the first and just didnt care for it.

Lastly, i dont think the FF series is as popular today as it was in the past. FF16 proved that. Its a franchise on the way down and their attempts to rejuvenate it havent brought in new players. I thought FF16 demo was absolutely fantastic and was shocked to see it disappear from the charts after selling 3 million in the first week.

Maybe the demand for JRPGs is dying. Blaming covid, digital sales, and install base is easy. These games have sold far worse than FF15 did almost 8 years ago. Thats not a good trend.

Sure ultimately these companies want constant IP growth, as do the shareholders. But as the mini industry crash shows constant growth isn't sustainable all the time hence all the layoffs. There's a competition for attention and a handful of very big games are winning that battle. So I think you just accept the trend, make sure the games are profitable enough to make more and then look for that breakthrough moment when the wind blows the other way.

Also I wouldn't say they've sold far worse. FF7 Remake part 1 for example is at 7-8mil copies sold (Sept 2023 last update) and this is despite launching on exclusive platforms and despite being put on PS+ a year after release and staying there. FF15 is at about 10mil. A lot of 15s sales would have come when the game has been heavily discounted, whilst Remake seems to have retained a higher price which = more revenue.

Remake and Rebirth will have good legs considering there's a blockbuster finale to come.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Not good. Install base is almost 50 million but people in uk are not buying games anymore. Digital should make up for it and get them close to the last game but sequels should sell more upfront.

No idea what’s going on in the uk. U.s sales have been fine. Maybe no one wants to pay $70 pounds for these games.
There isn't 50M PS5s in the UK though. Game sales increased last year.
38 million video games were sold in the UK during 2023, the latest GSD figures reveal.

It's a slight increase of 2.6% over the year before

As is typically the case, if it's a direct sequel to an existing game, on the same console, the sequel typically doesn't do as well commercially.

Your audience by definition is smaller than the first title, because you're only selling it people who bought and played the first game. Rather than vs the original, where anyone could jump in and give it a shot. You go from an audience of potentially the entire user base, down to just the people who bought the first game. And rarely will you ever get more customers that way.

Same thing as what happened with TotK, Mario Rabbids Sparks of Hope, or if Nintendo released Mario Kart 9 on the Switch instead of on new hardware. It would only have a chance at matching or outselling the first title, if it released on new hardware.

Sort of like the old-school economics of cinema, which is still true occasionally. "A sequel costs twice as much to make, and makes half as much money". But there are exceptions, of course. Always.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
the type of player that wants FF is always going to skew physical
This makes no sense whatsoever. How does the final fantasy franchise mean “physical” ?

we are going more and more digital every single day. There are a few stalwarts here still holding the fort and I applaud them for it but this will be my last generation of buying physical games, it is so much more convenient having a digital library, the main reason and I know it’s a dumb one but you have no loud as fuck disc drive spinning randomly during your play session. Sometimes thought my PS5 was going to lift off, what is it doing 😂. Check the disc is there to authenticate the key and then shut up.

I think too much emphasis has been put into Japanese sales for this game when the rest of the world is seeing higher sales than games like FFXVI.

Rockman33

We are going on year 4 of the PS5. The people who want a PS5 and play regularly on PS ecosystem have switched for the most part. The only people still using last gen as their main are most likely sport and COD type users…

No one made this argument when Spiderman 2 came out.

magnumpy

A remake (of sorts) of one of the most beloved RPGs of all time, a game that people who played it had an immense emotional attachment to, I'm surprised it's not selling better than it is.
I'll never understand you humans and your supposed so called "emotions" 🤖

Last edited:

Kumomeme

first opening week not indicator. tons of game that sold well not having big week numbers.

whats important it is keep selling even in long run. the game is good. it is even has type of stuff that usually would factored in selling well like the open world aspect.

it is gonna be fine.

Hardensoul

vOmDVuL.png

They don't have a major impact on AAA exclusive lifetime sales as countless examples show. Furthermore, the smashing success of BOTW is more responsible for those big numbers than the number of Switches available for TOTK. Games sell consoles, not the other way around. Halo 2 was one of the best-selling games of its generation and there were what, 25M Xbox sold?
Another tidbit about that BoTW launch on Switch. There was actually more BoTW copies sold than Switch consoles.

Sakura

But we aren't talking about lifetime physical sales. But first week physical sales. It 100% matters what the console base numbers are. 100%!!!
I would disagree. The audience for a game like FFVII is going to be comprised of largely core gamers. The kind of people who want to buy a game like FFVII, are also going to be the kind of people who purchase a video game console in the first half of its life. Kind of like how Xenoblade 2 and 3 both have similar first week sales numbers even though Xenoblade 2 was released in 2017 when the Switch had an install base of 10~ million, and Xenoblade 3 was released in 2022 on an install base around 10x higher at 110 million.
Obviously there would be some increase in the amount of sales if FFVII Rebirth was released on the same install base as Remake was, but I don't think it would be anything that significant.

In any case, this is just one data point. It is hard to say anything without knowing digital sales (split could favour digital more than previously) and other regions (UK in general could be buying less games than they did when Remake came out because of economy etc).

Last edited:

mckmas8808

wait. are people dooming and glooming without knowing the number of digital copies sold, or am I missing something?

Yes and it's insane. They can't even wait until we get the full first week numbers before they doom and gloom.

I would disagree. The audience for a game like FFVII is going to be comprised of largely core gamers. The kind of people who want to buy a game like FFVII, are also going to be the kind of people who purchase a video game console in the first half of its life. Kind of like how Xenoblade 2 and 3 both have similar first week sales numbers even though Xenoblade 2 was released in 2017 when the Switch had an install base of 10~ million, and Xenoblade 3 was released in 2022 on an install base around 10x higher at 110 million.
Obviously there would be some increase in the amount of sales if FFVII Rebirth was released on the same install base as Remake was, but I don't think it would be anything that significant.

In any case, this is just one data point. It is hard to say anything without knowing digital sales (split could favour digital more than previously) and other regions (UK in general could be buying less games than they did when Remake came out because of economy etc).

But you're assuming the first 50 million are the hardcore and only the hardcore would buy a FFVII: Rebirth game. That's an odd thought. You even said it would have sold more if it was sold with a higher user base. That difference could have been that it could have sold 10% less, instead of 30% less. Who knows.

Astral Dog

Was Remake received really well? I had thought it was mixed. What I see tends to happen is a sequel to a mixed game doesn’t do so well, even if by accounts the sequel is much better. Same with the opposite.
By critics? Yes

By gamers? it was mostly positive with some mixed opinions, but the linear nature of Remake vs Rebirth will push the later higher.

I believe Rebirth will eventually surpass Remake in sales, even if this data suggest otherwise, the quality is there, maybe advertisment was a little weak?idk but this game is basically a must play for any FF fan

Hardensoul

By critics? Yes

By gamers? it was mostly positive with some mixed opinions, but the linear nature of Remake vs Rebirth will push the later higher.

I believe Rebirth will eventually surpass Remake in sales, even if this data suggest otherwise, the quality is there, maybe advertisment was a little weak?idk but this game is basically a must play for any FF fan
How will this work? To get full(but still incomplete story😃, you would still want to play Remake first. This isn’t a new entry it’s a direct sequel that you should play previous game to understand story!

Ozriel

M$FT
We are going on year 4 of the PS5. The people who want a PS5 and play regularly on PS ecosystem have switched for the most part. The only people still using last gen as their main are most likely sport and COD type users…

No one made this argument when Spiderman 2 came out.

Yeah, the install base arguments are a bit washy, 4 years into the gen. We had a current gen exclusive Final Fantasy XVI release nearly a year ago. It’s fair to assume that the bulk of people who’d be purchasing an FF game day one would already own a PS5 by now.

This most likely has a higher digital split thanks to the great preorder deal

Top Bottom