• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sales: In terms of UK boxed sales, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth's opening week is down nearly 30% over the launch of the previous game

Astral Dog

How will this work? To get full(but still incomplete story😃, you would still want to play Remake first. This isn’t a new entry it’s a direct sequel that you should play previous game to understand story!
Two reasons why i think it will eventually pass the first game(plus they can always sell it as a bundle,like Capcom did with REVII-VIII)

The open design + very high review scores

While i get gamers are overtly critical of Square Enix decision to make this project a trilogy, they did so to assure the highest quality possible, and meet fans expectations , they wanted to expand the whole story and advance the combat mechanics with each entry, a single game wouldn't do, this is a very ambitious project that goes beyond any remaster

So far i think they are on the right track, i mean eventually the FFVII Remake project will be considered the most ambitious remake effort 🤔some people will wait until the trilogy is out to buy it but it should still be successful for them

Hardensoul

Two reasons why i think it will eventually pass the first game(plus they can always sell it as a bundle,like Capcom did with REVII-VIII)

The open design + very high review scores

While i get gamers are overtly critical of Square Enix decision to make this project a trilogy, they did so to assure the highest quality possible, and meet fans expectations , they wanted to expand the whole story and advance the combat mechanics with each entry, a single game wouldn't do, this is a very ambitious project that goes beyond any remaster

So far i think they are on the right track, i mean eventually the FFVII Remake project will be considered the most ambitious remake effort 🤔some people will wait until the trilogy is out to buy it but it should still be successful for them
Glad you are joying it. I won’t pick them up until all of it is released!

There are fans like me that don’t like the way it’s being released. There are so fans that don’t like the Remake due changes to story. It’s some of the reasons why I doubt Rebirth will sell more.

Astral Dog

Glad you are joying it. I won’t pick them up until all of it is released!

There are fans like me that don’t like the way it’s being released. There are so fans that don’t like the Remake due changes to story. It’s some of the reasons why I doubt Rebirth will sell more.
just consider Square Enix wouldn't have been able to release a project with the scope of FFVIIRebirth, without the experience they learned from making the linear and smaller FFVIIRemake first.they learned the basics(art direction,visuals,cutscenes,combat system,script,sound design)and delivered a much bigger ,improved sequel

Sales wise, we could argue that they are not as good as they should with the quality and brand, but i think its still going to be a success overall, once the full trilogy is out(the games themselves will sell enough to justify making the next part)

Last edited:

Hardensoul

just consider Square Enix wouldn't have been able to release a project with the scope of FFVIIRebirth, without the experience they learned from making the linear and smaller FFVIIRemake first.they learned the basics,and delivered a much bigger ,improved sequel

Sales wise, we could argue that they are not as good as they should with the quality and brand, but i think its still going to be a success overall, once the full trilogy is out(the games themselves will sell enough to justify making the next part)
Wait, what? That just sounds like they had no direction or planning of overall development of the project. How is SQ still in business working like that. 🤦‍♂️ 🤣

Anyways, not talking about FF series sales. Just sales between Remake and Rebirth. I just disagree that Rebirth will sell more.

At this point SE will need to finish the whole thing to not piss off the fans! 😂

demigod

Install base is irrelevant. BOTW went on to sell 30M+ copies and started off with an install base of 0 (or 12M for the Wii U but no one bought that).

Games of that caliber move consoles, not the other way around.

The big x-factor here are digital sales because they represent a significantly higher amount than they did back when Remake was released.
What a terrible take. You’re not even comparing apples to apples. Seriously just stop.

Even worse, terrible reporting by dring to make it sound like the game flopped. How does he not mention different install bases between the two. Oh i know why…..

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
What a terrible take. You’re not even comparing apples to apples. Seriously just stop.
No, it's a perfectly valid take. The install base isn't the cause for the disparity of boxed sales. The reason is more sales are digital since, y'know, the PS5 has a digital-only model. Digital sales have also surged significantly compared to the year Remake was released.

As pointed out, many big games have huge numbers on relatively small install bases. This doesn't explain the lower boxed sales numbers.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I think he is just pointing out that the boxed sales don't provide any context without knowing the total sales number. Sales could be up over the previous release even with the boxed sales being lower (unlikely, but still).
That's what I'm getting at but some are getting defensive and think I'm trying to paint this game as a flop when I'm not. Apples to apples would be total sales. Not boxed vs boxed when digital is far more popular than it was several years ago.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That's what I'm getting at but some are getting defensive and think I'm trying to paint this game as a flop when I'm not. Apples to apples would be total sales. Not boxed vs boxed when digital is far more popular than it was several years ago.

I'm curious to see what the total sales are. I'm expecting it to be about 10-15% lower than FF7: Remake in the UK.

HoodWinked

isnt this expected, the remake had a huge build up and tons of hype.

Rebirth's release feels like it was stealth released and also channeled Wii-U levels of idiocy when it came to naming the episodes and just made things more confusing throw in Intergrade.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Digital sales.

Believe it or not Gaf, most gamers do not give a shit about increasing their collection of plastic boxes on the shelf. Not saying physical is bad, most people just don't want to deal with swapping discs and the clutter.

fart town usa

Gold Member
People also bought Remake thinking it was a Remake and a lot of the liberal changes / VII-2 shit would have turned off a certain amount of buyers. Not saying that's the reason, but probably one of them.

Beginning of lockdowns, bigger install base, etc plenty of reasons for this to start a bit slower.
I honestly think the FF7 purists are a total mirage. I rarely even see them anymore. It's nothing but praise on YT and social media.

You really gotta be a special kind of curmudgeon to play FF7-1/Rebirth and come away salty, claiming Square ruined the game because of the story changes.

Neofire

Wait til the full numbers come out. I already see people putting the cart before the hose. "Well if it had released day and date on pc" or "the ending sucked" just petty shit. I have no doubt in the end the game will perform phenomenally because it is a great game.

If it really is selling at a lower rate, it could also be that’s there’s so much competition now in the gaming software landscape as well. Sure, Final Fantasy is still a big franchise, but there is so much choice now and I’m not sure if FInal Fantasy is the powerhouse it once was. Didn’t even FF16 fall below sales expectations also?

Last edited:
Top Bottom