• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV is second fastest selling FF game in the UK [Up: Week 2 down 75%]

Also the appalling internet speeds the country has compared to the US and most of the rest of Europe

That to, living in the Highlands of Scotland and having 5mb download (on a good day) I can not imagine downloading a full retail release digitally when I can get it delivered to my door cheaper on release day.

Celine

No, I'm surprised PS1/PS2 FF's sold worse than both of these.
Just first week.
Always keep in mind that it isn't wise to compare figures without context and the industry sure changed a lot in these past 15 years.
I doubt XV will touch FF VII, VIII or X LTD worldwide.
For reference Final Fantasy series sales (shipment data):

eMuja0v.jpg

jjonez18

21%'s not that bad right? I mean that's a solid chunk right? I need some context.
For SE that is. Your standard JRPG would sell less units than XB1 consoles sells weekly in Japan. I know those aren't not worth the effort.

Zhao_Yun

21%'s not that bad right? I mean that's a solid chunk right? I need some context.
For SE that is. Your standard JRPG would sell less units than XB1 consoles sells weekly in Japan.

FFXIII only had a 54:46 split in favor of PS3, so it's a huge shift.

For SE that is. Your standard JRPG would sell less units than XB1 consoles sells weekly in Japan.

Most multiplaform games in the UK are a 60/40- 50/50 split, its one of the territories where we guess the console sales are closest.

But SE should prioritize the PC in the future and also the Switch.
Its a waste of time and ressource to bring a Xbox Version at this point

DKHF

Factoring in the boost digital would have given it in sales (even though the UK might not be a big digital market, still would not be an insubstantial amount of sales) this is a good result.

The split between PS4 and Xbox One being around 80% is what I was expecting for the UK. Guessing the split in places like Germany is even more insanely skewed towards PS4 given the console's sales dominance there.

But SE should prioritize the PC in the future and also the Switch.
Its a waste of time and ressource to bring a Xbox Version at this point

I don't think much will change. The vast majority of FF fans are just on PS4.
Also don't get it wrong. The XBO port will probably lead to 500k+ sales, making it easily worthwhile.

For SE that is. Your standard JRPG would sell less units than XB1 consoles sells weekly in Japan. I know those aren't not worth the effort.

It's a big drop than last time, but 21% on a large number (assuming the same holds true for North America) is still a fairly large number. Square Enix would have no doubt taken into consideration the 50/50 split of last gen as an indicator that their big budget RPGs need an Xbox One version to be sustainable, and I'd suspect that the 21% of sales of FFXV (1 million of the initial shipment) would still be sizeable enough to justify an Xbox One version.

The question is what happens with future games, particularly smaller ones. Other formats like PS3 or PC could yield similar returns to Xbox One, and development teams can't split their resources among too many platforms. I suspect money was involved in keeping stuff like NieR automata off Xbox One, though, as Platinum definitely can handle three formats of a game. Star Ocean 5 would be a case where Tri-Ace don't have the resources to do PS3/PS4/XBO and for that game (and its shoestring budget and audience) it made more sense to do a PS3 version instead of XBO. It was never going to be a big hitter internationally.

I think it's more that there's probably no reliable data for back then. Because FFVII was a phenomenon and I would not be surprised if it had sold more, but on the other hand games weren't so top-heavy back then and it was the first game in the series to launch in Europe so would not have been so well-known.

Zafir

Since FFXIII was not sold digitally iirc, the difference between both games might be smaller than the numbers here suggest.

I doubt digital sales will make that much of a difference though.

1) The digital prices in the UK are pretty bad so I can't imagine many people would pay the premium for it digitally when they can get it significantly cheaper from Amazon, or their local super market. Hell I'm pretty sure GAME in store is even still cheaper than digital prices here...
2) The more hardcore buy digitally on the US PSN store rather than the UK one so they'd be factored into US sales anyway.

The Market in the UK has just changed since XIII, I don't think people are spending quite as much money on games when you look at the data/sales figures in general. It's also come out at a worse time, XIII released March time from what I remember, so there wasn't as many games vying for peoples attention. Where November is where everyone releases a good amount of big hitters.

It's entirely possible XV may have better legs considering it doesn't have quite the negative reaction that XIII did. I mean people have voiced problems with the game, but it's not to the level of "XIII killed my cat" which plagued XIII for months, even years after its release.

Gaming culture was different back then though. Pre-ordering wasn't as much of a thing then.

Final Fantasy 7 wouldn't have sold massively on launch anyway, because it was the first FF released in Europe. Final Fantasy IX in general didn't sell as well.

That leaves Final Fantasy VIII which I think can be attributed to what I just said, as well as the fact that the gaming industry was smaller in general. Less people were playing games. The market expanded massively over the years.

sirronoh

It's a big drop than last time, but 21% on a large number (assuming the same holds true for North America) is still a fairly large number. Square Enix would have no doubt taken into consideration the 50/50 split of last gen as an indicator that their big budget RPGs need an Xbox One version to be sustainable, and I'd suspect that the 21% of sales of FFXV (1 million of the initial shipment) would still be sizeable enough to justify an Xbox One version.

The question is what happens with future games, particularly smaller ones. Other formats like PS3 or PC could yield similar returns to Xbox One, and development teams can't split their resources among too many platforms.

Yep. The bad thing for Microsoft is that the percentage is trending in the WRONG direction. Last gen was much closer but this gen is going back to PS2 level splits. As others have said, Kingdom Hearts 3 split and future Square-Enix titles will probably be worse as the generation gets older. People who play these games are increasingly doing so outside of the Xbox ecosystem.

Hasney

I think it's more that there's probably no reliable data for back then. Because FFVII was a phenomenon and I would not be surprised if it had sold more, but on the other hand games weren't so top-heavy back then and it was the first game in the series to launch in Europe so would not have been so well-known.

Nah, with the data we have, FF 8 sold under 300k lifetime and 9 under 200k. They will have the 7 figures, they just didn't do awards then.

Hesemonni

Banned
Final Fantasy debuted in Europe 19 years ago topping the UK charts with Final Fantasy VII.

Week 46, 1997 - All Formats (Units)

01 (NE) FINAL FANTASY VII (SONY)
02 (02) GOLDENEYE (NINTENDO)
03 (01) CHAMPIONSHIP MANAGER 2 97/98 (EIDOS)
04 (03) CROC (EA)
05 (05) LYLAT WARS (NINTENDO)
06 (06) FIGHTING FORCE (EIDOS)
07 (07) MARIO KART 64 (NINTENDO)
08 (08) V-RALLY OCEAN ­ (INFOGRAMES)
09 (09) MICROSOFT FLIGHT SIMULATOR '98 (MICROSOFT)
10 (04) G-POLICE (PSYGNOSIS)
11 (NE) THE CURSE OF MONKEY ISLAND (VIRGIN)
12 (16) WORMS (OCEAN)
13 (11) SUPER MARIO 64 (NINTENDO)
14 (15) ROAD RASH (EA & OCEAN)
15 (RE) GAMEBOY GALLERY (NINTENDO)
16 (13) COLONY WARS (PSYGNOSIS)
17 (09) AGE OF EMPIRES (MICROSOFT)
18 (27) CRASH BANDICOOT (GT INTERACTIVE)
19 (26) HERCULES (SONY)
20 (10) RIVEN (BRODERBUND)
Holy shit that series was dope.

Hasney

Gaming culture was different back then though. Pre-ordering wasn't as much of a thing then.

Final Fantasy 7 wouldn't have sold massively on launch anyway, because it was the first FF released in Europe. Final Fantasy IX in general didn't sell as well.

That leaves Final Fantasy VIII which I think can be attributed to what I just said, as well as the fact that the gaming industry was smaller in general. Less people were playing games. The market expanded massively over the years.

But one thing has always been true: JRPGs don't sell great here. Even the PS2 numbers, despite the bump in popularity, weren't great.

Yep. The bad thing for Microsoft is that the percentage is trending in the WRONG direction. Last gen was much closer but this gen is going back to PS2 level splits. As others have said, Kingdom Hearts 3 split and future Square-Enix titles will probably be worse as the generation gets older. People who play these games are increasingly doing so outside of the Xbox ecosystem.

Yup. Microsoft is stuck in a hard place until this generation "resets" itself and all competitors get another fresh chance. That's why I was surprised that Sony isn't going down the iterative route and PS4 Pro is just like New 3DS - I wasn't expecting them to start again from zero with PS5. I guess it depends on whether Sony can nail forwards-compatibility with PS4 games for PS5 so the move to next gen feels seamless rather than a fresh start.

79% in U.K. pretty much translates to 90+ % for everywhere else in the world that ain't US, Brazil and maybe Mexico/Canada.

That is the rock and hard place.

Zafir

But one thing has always been true: JRPGs don't sell great here. Even the PS2 numbers, despite the bump in popularity, weren't great.

That's true.

The UK isn't like say France which has a lot more appreciation for Japan.

I doubt digital sales will make that much of a difference though.

1) The digital prices in the UK are pretty bad so I can't imagine many people would pay the premium for it digitally when they can get it significantly cheaper from Amazon, or their local super market. Hell I'm pretty sure GAME in store is even still cheaper than digital prices here...
2) The more hardcore buy digitally on the US PSN store rather than the UK one so they'd be factored into US sales anyway.

The Market in the UK has just changed since XIII, I don't think people are spending quite as much money on games when you look at the data/sales figures in general. It's also come out at a worse time, XIII released March time from what I remember, so there wasn't as many games vying for peoples attention. Where November is where everyone releases a good amount of big hitters.

It's entirely possible XV may have better legs considering it doesn't have quite the negative reaction that XIII did. I mean people have voiced problems with the game, but it's not to the level of "XIII killed my cat" which plagued XIII for months, even years after its release.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1305615
You would be surprised how many buy digital for sheer convenience. UK digital prices are around the same as GAME day 1 prices.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
But holds some truth. It's a shame because there are jrpgs fan but developers need to consider whether it's worth investing in a different platform that might yield better results.

Dont think he is disagreeing - SE expanding to PC/Switch is more or less expected.

AHA-Lambda

How do the install bases between 360/PS3 and PS4/XB1 compare at the release of each game?

Cos I'm quite surprised it couldn't beat 13 :/

That article isn't specific to the UK?

The NA prices are much more reasonable in comparison to EU.

NA and UK are the biggest areas of digital adoption growth:

And finally, just a quick clarity point, did I hear you correctly say that digital downloads are growing about five points a year, perhaps more in North America and the UK

Vexii

I don't know if I was just really young or a different type of gamer back then, but I can't understand how XIII substantially outsold XV.

Top Bottom