• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

November 2016 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes Tuesday, December 6th

Boke1879

December should be fun to see. Both consoles getting a drop i price.

If nothing changes game wise. No delays. PS4 is looking to have a strong first 4 months.

he is VP
greenberg is boss

yeah. the 1tb BF1 and 500gb Minecraft Bundle being sold out at amazon the whole december so far is a sing of too much supply.

not to mention the already sold out gears 4 limited edition bundle, when last year the halo 5 limited editiom console was available into spring.

it's time for you to finally contribut something substantial for the fist time ever

Don't listen to the haters. Don't stop, quadruple, quintuple down!

Legit surprised. Thought MS would take Nov as well due to the poor choice of UC4 bundle and low PS4 Pro interest.

Nah, all indicators, from amazon rankings to comments from retail managers showed a strong demand for the Pro. As a matter of fact, people saving their money for the upcoming Pro was one of the main reasons for the XBOX winning streak within the last months.

According to Sony's Shuhei Yoshida, the PlayStation 4 Pro is off to an unexpectedly strong start. Speaking with Digital Spy, the likeable suit admitted that the company had primarily anticipated the premium platform to sell to early adopters, but it turns out that many are selecting the supercharged system as their first foray into the world of PS4.

"We need more time to analyse the situation, but it seems that more people who are buying PS4 for the first time are choosing PS4 Pro," he told the British website. "I think that's driving a larger demand than we had anticipated. In many markets it's sold out and hard to find."

Sony not knowing why the heck they sell so many consoles, again.

yeah. the 1tb BF1 and 500gb Minecraft Bundle being sold out at amazon the whole december so far is a sing of too much supply.

not to mention the already sold out gears 4 limited edition bundle, when last year the halo 5 limited editiom console was available into spring.

it's time for you to finally contribut something substantial for the fist time ever

But Abdiel said that MS was smarter with the amount of stock, so it's more of a matter of not overshipping. And you mentioned not taking Amazon as gospel and yet, you're now relying on that for your argument. You can't have it both ways...

so i'm right low supply for the xbox one s.
many skus are still sold out at some retailers.

and it's obvious microsoft will match the ps4 slim pricecut and not being $50 more expensive the last 2 weeks before christmas

LMAO

What ARE you doing. Whatever it is, just stop man. I can't even tell what you're trying to say.

watdaeff4

Nah, all indicators, from amazon rankings to comments from retail managers showed a strong demand for the Pro. As a matter of fact, people saving their money for the upcoming Pro was one of the main reasons for the XBOX winning streak within the last months.

What retail managers besides Abdiel stated a strong demand for the Pro? Just curious.

And the whole "Xbox only won Sept/Oct because people were waiting for Pro" is some spin almost as bad as the MS fanboy in this thread about the Nov results.

Almost

But Abdiel said that MS was smarter with the amount of stock, so it's more of a matter of not overshipping. And you mentioned not taking Amazon as gospel and yet, you're now relying on that for your argument. You can't have it both ways...

Yeah especially when Amazon hasn't had much stock of many Xbox SKUs for months now. That was the whole reason Amazon would show PS4 winning in the 4 months where Xbox won NPD. That was super clear that they weren't a good indicator of Xbox supply.

What retail managers besides Abdiel stated a strong demand for the Pro? Just curious.

And the whole "Xbox only won Sept/Oct because people were waiting for Pro" is some spin almost as bad as the MS fanboy in this thread about the Nov results.

Almost

I think even the post you quoted said "one of the main reasons". I've not seen a single person that said Xbox only won because people were waiting for PRO, but there's no denying that was a contributory reason, especially given how small some of the margins were.

Raylan

Banned
iirc Adobe mentioned that the PS4 was still the best selling console of november when xbox won black friday. I think the Pro boost from earlier in the month edged it to sony
Wrong. According to Adobe, Xbox was more popular when it came to online sales in the United States. Online sales only!

watdaeff4

I think even the post you quoted said "one of the main reasons". I've not seen a single person that said Xbox only won because people were waiting for PRO, but there's no denying that was a contributory reason, especially given how small some of the margins were.

Go back and read the Sept/Oct threads. Yeah there were IIRC.

And it's hard to say as we don't know how much the Pro sold and it's possible hat a good number of those that did sell were current PS4 owners that would not have bought another PS4 if it wasn't the Pro.

Sept/Oct were also decent margins between the two as well. Not huge, but not insignificant

Almost

You call it fanboy drivel / spin. I call it marketing 101. Of course the Pro announcement for November let to consumer reticence in September and October, in anticipation for that product. This happens almost every time a company announces a new product, although this is indeed a special scenario as technically the Slim was also a newly introduced SKU. And yes, I think this was one of the main reasons, not the only one.

watdaeff4

You call it fanboy drivel / spin. I call it marketing 101. Of course the Pro announcement for November let to consumer reticence in September and October, in anticipation for that product. This happens almost every time a company announces a new product, although this is indeed a special scenario as technically the Slim was also a newly introduced SKU.

See my post right above yours.

I give you credit, you said "one of" but until we know exact numbers (and to really know would need to know how many Pro buyers didn't already own a PS4) your "statement of fact" is not fact, it's speculation

Just to make myself clear, MS did a great job with the XBOX One S. It maintained its ground although Sony introduced a new cheaper SKU shortly after. But from now on, MS will need Scorpio to match and/or surpass Sony's offer of a cheap entry-level and a premium SKU.

They will probably win December as well with the FFXV LE consoles selling out and winning cyber Monday
whoever wins novemer, also takes december. 2013 was just differnet becausw of low supply for ps4.
2014 xbox one won both months
2015 ps4 won both months

What ARE you doing. Whatever it is, just stop man. I can't even tell what you're trying to say.
i say; last year in november npd xbox one sold more units and we had no reports about low stock situations but rather overstocking
this year, xbox one sold less units and we have some low stock situations

= lower supply for whatever reasons.
so microsoft will probably report xbox hardware sales being down due to lower prices of consoles sold and a decline in volume of consoles sold in the next Q10 filling

ethomaz

Banned
Just to make myself clear, MS did a great job with the XBOX One S. It maintained its ground although Sony introduced a new cheaper SKU shortly after. But from now on, MS will need Scorpio to match and/or surpass Sony's offer of a cheap entry-level and a premium SKU.
MS needs to be cheaper... that was always the case and it will be this whole gen because it has the weaker hardware.

But Sony hardware is cheaper to make than MS hardware and that create a lot of issues to MS because they only can go down in price cut to a certain point while Sony can go lower if they want (but they won't because at the same price they sell more).

Scorpio is too late to really make a difference... it will be the first MS console this gen that is stronger and expensive and not weaker and expensive like today.

Again XB1 needs to be cheaper at least $50 to sell on pair with PS4... that is true for the whole generation in US.

watdaeff4

Again XB1 needs to be cheaper at least $50 to sell on pair with PS4... that is true for the whole generation in US.

I said a stAtement of similar effect back around April or May. It would be interesting if there was data to support our thoughts. With the exception of the S release I would imagine it held true.

And now that the S initial sales have tempered, and with Sony's lineup and momentum going into 2017, I would imagine it continues to hold true.

Vena

This pink blob gets it.

So I guess we are looking at more and more of this in November:

MSYkMbt.png

allan-bh

Apparently Cosmic was right, both consoles down YoY.

Sony didn't even bother to make a minor statement about NPD, likely because they have nothing good to say outside of selling more than Xbox One.

RexNovis

Banned

... LOL ...
I see I was a bit late with my post. Definitely not ok...

Sony didn't even bother to make a minor statement about NPD, likely because they have nothing good to say outside of selling more than Xbox One.

They should've saved their 50 million sold announcement for today.

Sterok

The 3DS should be well up, and there's also Pokemon + NES Mini, but Nintendo probably isn't going to say anything for another week or so. PS4 is probably down YOY, but I wouldn't take silence as an outright confirmation of that.

It's not like last years Sonys November NPD PR said anything about yoy growth either despite having massive yoy growth:
Sony said:
PlayStation 4 is the top-selling console in the United States during the month of November, according to NPD. We have hit several key milestones over the last few weeks. Prior to Black Friday, we announced we have sold through more than 30.2 million PS4s to consumers around the world and that PS4 continues to exhibit the fastest growth in PlayStation hardware history. In addition, Black Friday sales were the strongest in PlayStation history demonstrating more people game now than ever before. We are also pleased to announce November was the biggest month ever for PlayStation Store indicating a strong digital marketplace complementing healthy retail sales.

But maybe you are right and having no PR at all tells us that sales were down.

Unknown?

But they stopped commenting on NPD for a long time now, even before Xbox One S started winning. I'm not sure this necessarily means much and they already gave their statements about Black Friday.

RexNovis

Banned
It's not like last years Sonys November NPD PR said anything about yoy growth either despite having massive yoy growth:

But maybe you are right and having no PR at all tells us that sales were down.

That is indeed the most likely reason for no NPD PR. Especially since they've already done total software sold/attach rate PR with the 50m sold through announcement. If they don't have anything particularly good to say (SW or HW up YoY) then they are likely to not say anything at all.

Personally I anticipate a VERY steep decline in SW YoY and ~20% HW decline. But we shall see. Gotta admit that BF boast threw me for a loop at first. I had forgotten that BF has become more of an international affair lately.

Elios83

They could be both down although so far only MS is confirmed to be down given that being up yoy was the only positive thing they could say in their PR and they didn't mention it but it's not for that that Sony has not made a comment.
It's because their marketing line is that the only sales numbers they want to share are the worldwide milestones they achieve. Hence why they released a worldwide PR yesterday.

RexNovis

Banned
I wonder if the gap in November basically wiped out any gains Xbox was making in those 4 months.

The sales gap for the past few months was ~300k in favor of XB1. It's certainly possible but I think this months sales will end up being just shy of covering the whole gap with December going back to widening the predicting gap again.

gtj1092

The sales gap for the past few months was ~300k in favor of XB1. It's certainly possible but I think this months sales will end up being just shy of covering the whole gap with December going back to widening the predicting gap again.

You still think the UC4 bundle was a disaster.

Elandyll

Banned

Doesn't mean much frankly, they already released the PR statement that matters to them (50m+ consoles sold through WW, Best BF in PS history, probably WW but logically in the US too, no reason not to)

With that, imo, and knowing the following

- PS4 won BF retail (Infoscout)
- Pro released with 3 months of pre orders
- BF week is mostly about cheap slim at $249
- Single SKU allowed Sony to replenish stocks with more efficiency than multiple one

I predict the slim alone did at least as good a the XB1s, and the Pro put another 300k+ on top, possibly 400k.

PS4 up at least 3% YoY.

Top Bottom