• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2016 - Voting Thread [Voting closed]

Mathieran

Banned
1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine ; What a great expansion. The world was great, the story was great, and saying bye to Geralt was bittersweet.

2. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided ; Had a lot of fun tinkering around in this world. Adam Jensen was great again and the music was good.

3. RIGS: Mechanized Combat League ; This was just plain fun. The feeling of playing in the giant robots was spectacular. I only played offline though. I would love some sort of singleplayer mech RPG like this.

4. No Man's Sky ; Sure it was shallow, but I got mostly everything I wanted from this game for the first 30-40 hours. Exploring new planets was wonderful.

5. VR Worlds ; The luge sucks but everything else is super fun. I come back to play danger ball and do the shooting range pretty regularly.

6. Life is Strange ; I did not realize this came out this year until looking through the list of games. I loved this game. All of the characters really drew me in, even annoying Chloe. They all felt awkward but I thought that seemed perfect for teenagers so it didn't bother me. The music and the atmosphere blended together perfectly with the story to really create something special.

7. Dying Light: The Following ; Not as good as the base game but still damn good. Running over zombies with the buggy is pretty fun.

8. Doom ; I'm not done with this yet but the game play is really fun! Every time I'm in combat is thrilling and I don't realize it until it's over but my heart rate speeds up every time. Also it runs and looks great.

9. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition ; First time playing this so I had no prior experience. Its age shows technically, but this is still a pretty great experience. Sense of exploration is pretty awesome. I haven't finished it yet so can't put it at the top of my list in good conscience.

10. Firewatch ; Really enjoyed the characters and the art style. Probably one of the best so called walking simulators I've played.

1. The Division ; After more than 30 days of playtime I'm sill addicted as fuck. I thought nothing could get me off Destiny, but I haven't logged into the Tower since March. The Dark Zone is the perfect blend of PVE and PVP and Survival is a masterpiece.
2. Let It Die ; What Dark Souls 3 should have been. It is an entirely fresh take on the Souls formula with style out the ears.
3. Salt and Sanctuary ; A brilliant 2D take on the Souls formula.
4. Dark Souls 3 ; Though for me the weakest in the series, it's still a joy to play and looks incredible.
5. Skyrim: Remastered ; Such a joy to finally play this in 4K with mods and get the PC experience (almost).

Fantomas

1. Doom ; From the moment the game started I knew it was going to be exactly what I wanted, a fast-paced loving homage to the first two games in the series that didn't take itself or it's story seriously and provided me with an ample amount of demons to kill. The single-player is quite long too for a first person shooter, especially as someone looking out for secrets everywhere. I'm apparently what's wrong with gaming these days because I also enjoy the multiplayer in this game a lot. I don't really care that it isn't exactly like the old Doom's multiplayer, or that it doesn't use the same physics as Quake 3, it's still faster than most console FPS's out there and the simplicity of it makes it easier for me to enjoy too. Snap Map is an amazing level editing feature that is more comprehensive than almost any other that I can think of. The built in programming logic features alone are an amazing way to teach programming concepts to people that might not be too familiar with them. Running for-loops and switch statements with these little visualized gadgets is awesome, and the amount of things one can do when creating something in Snap Map, especially after all the updates it's received, is really amazing. All of this is why Doom is my Game of the Year for 2016.

2. Hitman ; As a longtime fan of the Hitman series, I was very excited when IO first announced that the new game would be drawing inspiration from Blood Money and the other older games in the series. When the announcement that it was going to be released episodically came out, I was skeptical but still optimistic that the game would, at the least, be great once it was completed. Each episode of Hitman turned out to be an amazing new level filled with all the easter eggs and ridiculous "accidents" that the old games had and then some more on top of that. The levels are huge compared to previous games and have so much going on that it can take hours just to get your bearings. IO Interactive have completely redeemed themselves and, in my opinion, are the current kings of the stealth genre.

3. The Witness ; A gorgeous game full of puzzles and mysteries. A very zen-like experience as well, sitting alone with headphones on and contemplating a difficult puzzle can be very calming for me at least. Then there's the other times where I've got screenshots and notebook paper and cutouts of tetris shapes and I feel like a madman trying to solve a little line puzzle in a video game. The Witness is probably the only game I've played that could put me into either one of those spots at any moment.

4. Final Fantasy XV ; Square Enix finally made a Final Fantasy game that I liked for the first time in many years. I know FF fans have very different opinions on the games, but for me personally I haven't really enjoyed a Final Fantasy game since VII. FFXV broke that streak though by offering me a pretty unique experience in the world of video games. For every random fetch quest that could exist in any game, there are tons of little things in FFXV that are just so unique and/or peculiar that it makes the game stand out among it's open-world peers in my opinion.

5. EA Sports UFC 2 ; As big UFC fans, this is the go-to multiplayer game when my friends and I are hanging out. The single-player career mode could use some more work, I still think the old EA Sports MMA game had a better career mode. The Ultimate Team mode is decent but gets boring kind of quick. However, sitting down with your buddy and telling him you're going to put him in an armbar and make him tapout and then yelling in his face when you do, that's why this game is awesome for me.

6. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; I enjoyed the reboot of Tomb Raider in 2013, so I was eagerly awaiting the chance to play the sequel when it came out on PC. Crystal Dynamics improved upon the reboot in a lot of ways, adding a lot more room for exploration and backtracking then the previous game as well as, in my opinion, a more interesting setting, story, and characters.

7. Dragon's Dogma ; I loved this game on PS3, it's almost embarrassing how much time I spent on it to be honest. However, the poor graphics, low framerate, letterboxed presentation, and constant screen tearing were incredibly annoying. The PC version fixed all of that and then some, making one of my all time favorite RPG's feel brand new again.

8. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Special Edition ; Never got around to playing the expansion packs for Skyrim, really enjoyed both of them while playing through the special edition. It's also nice having this as a base to mod from now, cuts down on a lot of the old graphics mods that I used to download for vanilla Skyrim for sure.

9. Watch_Dogs 2 ; Got this game for free with my new graphics card a couple weeks ago. Enjoyed what I've played of it so far, but found the missions to be kind of boring standard open-world stuff. I'm also not big on the hacking stuff but at least it felt a bit better than the first game. Graphics are really nice though.

10. No Man's Sky ; I played when it came out for about a week and a half straight, then dropped it like a rock until the big update came out. I enjoy hopping into No Man's Sky while listening to a podcast or watching something on TV. It's kind of boring to play it just by itself without some other thing going on in the background to keep my mind engaged, which doesn't necessarily make it a bad game, I do the same thing with games like Diablo. I'm at least content with where the game got to by the end of the year and am looking forward to more updates in the future to see what more they can add.

Honorable Mentions
x. Life is Strange ; Although this game came out last year, I didn't get around to it until this summer. Very few games can make me get a little misty-eyed, even fewer can straight up make me cry, and Life is Strange made me do both by hitting pretty close to home for me personally in some realistic ways. The story, characters, setting, and especially the music are all absolutely amazing and make Life is Strange the best narrative-focused adventure game I've ever played. I highly recommend it to anyone who has enjoyed that style of game in the past, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Gq0GqD0.jpg

1. Hitman ; Hitman is something rare and special: an honest-to-god comeback, a return-to-form that sets the bar for all future returns-to-form. From a game that made one question if IO had forgotten what made the series special, that altered many of the series' unique features in baffling ways, to a sleek game that pushes the Hitman series to new heights.
But even putting all that aside, Hitman is a triumph of game design, with sprawling clockwork sandboxes just waiting for you to poke and prod and manipulate, each one heavy with atmosphere and clever story vignettes, with so many ways to approach each mission that a single one can last you a dozen hours, and a huge amount of additional content that challenges your assassination prowess in new ways. This is the sequel I've been waiting a decade for.

DSMjQ8n.jpg

2. Inside ; At a glance, one might question what exactly makes Inside so special. Its visuals seems muted and dull, strip away everything and it's a game of mostly traversing right and solving environmental puzzles, it's a game where the only controls are move, jump, and grab. But Inside can't be fully appreciated at a glance; it must be played to understand its excellence.
Inside is a bleak crescendo of a cinematic platformer, every aspect building upon the other until its incredible finale. The animations, how the boy stumbles and struggles, how he looks with nervous glances or hunches over in tense fear. The aesthetic, rife with countless details and a cohesive palette that accentuates the game's depressing dystopian tone. The sound design, from the subtle heartbeat of a soundtrack to the boy's hurried breathing when stealth shifts to desperate pursuit. Everything coalesces to create an oppressive miasma of unease and tension, where you never feel safe, where every mistake is met with quick ruthless death, and its lean puzzle design is always driving you forward to more haunting imagery and more surreal discoveries.

Q73LANR.jpg

3. The Last Guardian ; I liked Ico, and I loved Shadow of the Colossus, so I had high expectations when I started The Last Guardian. And somehow, Ueda's vision was able to surpass them. This is an incredible journey of friendship told not through cutscenes or prose, but the medium's most unique element: interactivity. No doubt many great stories in gaming have been conveyed through audio logs and expert writing and compelling voice actors, but The Last Guardian tells the story of boy and beast through gameplay, through Trico's groundbreaking animations, through your petting and cleaning of feathers and removal of spears, through the desperate saves from certain death and the graceful leaps through this world's mysterious architecture.
From that foundation emerges a cinematic platformer that pushes boundaries on myriad fronts: playable set-pieces that rival Naughty Dog's work, tense platforming over vertigo-inducing heights, smart puzzles driven by cooperation, and an gripping ending that won't soon be forgotten

53L4Sx3.jpg

4. Titanfall 2 ; My eyes were opened to the joys of online multiplayer this year, first with Overwatch and Rocket League. then Battlefield 1 and Rainbow Six Siege. But I've played one shooter more than all of them, and that game was Titanfall 2. It's a demanding game, where quick reflexes and deft wall-running are your ultimate advantage, so it took a while for me to gain the skills to not get slaughtered. But with practice comes precision, and with precision comes some of the most intense and entertaining action I've enjoyed in a long time. There's nothing quite like wall-running past a missile salvo between warring titans, or sliding around a corner to cut down an incoming enemy, or grapple-hooking an ejecting pilot to deliver a killing mid-air blow. It's fast, furious, skillful, where a typical match can produce awesome emergent set-piece moments.
But those awesome set pieces aren't reserved to multiplayer, because Titanfall 2 also comes with one of coolest FPS campaigns in a while, a lean series of missions that shifts from one cool concept and encounter to the next, all wrapped in the stylish skillful parkour and combat that defines the series.

qAKh4Ro.jpg

5. Oxenfree ; The narrative adventure has seen a renaissance since Telltale revitalized it with The Walking Dead way back in 2012. From Dontnod's Life Is Strange to the historical 1979 Revolution, their influence has been undeniable. But while they may be the originator, Oxenfree is the innovator. Harkening back to the Spielbergian adventures of the 80s, this tale of friends on an island where dark forces lurk pushes the genre forward in wonderful ways. Its walk-and-talk mechanic allows for the kind of pacing that Telltale games and their ilk could never do, letting you make tough dialogue choices without breaking away from regular gameplay. And that dialogue is so natural, flows so smoothly, with interjections and interruptions and whatnot, a far cry from the turn-based style of conversation seen in everything from Mass Effect to Fables. And finally Night School found a clever way to do a New Game Plus within the confines of a narrative adventure, giving you another reason to revisit these likeable characters and atmospheric locales.

K5KK9aC.jpg

6. SuperHOT ; It's the most innovative shooter I've played in years. No really, clever joke aside, it is. SuperHOT takes the one hit kills and limited ammo and encroaching enemies on all sides of Hotline Miami, and makes it a pseudo-turn-based action puzzler through its core time-moves-when-you-move mechanic. That simple idea changes everything. It's a game of minimalism and restraint, more time spent side-stepping bullets and planning your next move than attacking. Those methodical minutes-long sequences of time-slowed action only last mere seconds in real time. Every moment is one of careful movement, since every step by you means danger is one step closer. Every variable needs to be considered. How many bullets do you have left in your gun? Do you have time and space to evade the bullets headed your way? Can you stun that enemy and close the distance soon enough to grab his fallen weapon?
The combat in SuperHOT is the stuff of Hollywood magic, scenes that are usually only reserved for scripted moments and set pieces. You snatch a gun out of the air and spin around to kill the enemies approaching from behind. Point blank shots are negated by a katana slicing the bullet in half. You weave between bullets with effortless ease. It's a low-poly dance through a rain of crystalline shards and it never gets old

aZyrUXd.jpg

7. Stephen’s Sausage Roll ; 2016 was the year of the puzzler. The Witness, Obduction, SHENZHEN I/O, Recursed, Sethian, Thoth, and more, this year was one with quality puzzle games of all kinds. But none impressed or stumped me as much as Stephen's Sausage Roll. It may not seem like much, a Sokoban-style puzzler with a low-fi aesthetic, but that's where the genius of the games lies. Stephen's Sausage Roll is an ever growing puzzle box of new mechanics, mechanics that were always there, hidden in plain sight through level design alone. Your basic toolset of rotation and fork is so versatile, allowing for puzzles so satisfyingly diverse and tricky, it is astounding to think back to how the early puzzles were only about rotating and pushing sausages with your fork. This is an ingenious work of level design and clever puzzles that should not be missed.

2w35yHh.png

8. House of the Dying Sun ; At one point, House of the Dying Sun was a bigger game, an ambitious sprawling Mount-and-Blade-style campaign with procedural factions and an open map. But instead the finished game is a lean collection of hand-crafted missions, polished and distilled to focus on one thing: combat. Combat is House of the Dying Sun's core element, each mission dropping you into a volatile situation and asking you to seamlessly manage both intense dogfighting from your interceptor cockpit and fleet tactics from the macro RTS view. No map to travel, no trading or hangars to buy a better fleet, no smaller jobs to build up your reputation, just relentless combat where positioning and expert flight is key to survival.
But it would remiss to not single out House of the Dying Sun's stellar sound design. The audio makes the game. The muted rumble and thuds of your weapons. The rasp of your oxygen mask. The tinny chatter of your wingmen, The mechanical whir when you reload or switch weapons. The sound design draws you into the combat, gives every action an immersive and atmospheric reaction

j0ubPzP.jpg

9. Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun ; You know a game is going to be good when a demo shifts your expectations from "Huh, seems interesting" to "I need to keep playing, please release it already". In an ideal world, Shadow Tactics will be for real-time Commandos-style tactics what Divinity was for CRPGs. Polished to a mirror sheen, this is a game of weaving through vision cones, of carefully planning out precisely timed distractions and executions, of managing all your of team's special skills and abilities to overcome seemingly impossible odds. A single mission can last 2-3 hours, as you plan and study and observe and act and react and quick-save like a madman. This is one of the best stealth games of 2016, and the best Commandos-like in a long time.

7qCKvs5.png

10. Imbroglio ; Michael Brough's games have often hinged on the dichotomy of simple on the outside and surprisingly deep within, a lo-fi aesthetic contrasted by challenging strategy. His latest game Imbroglio is no different; it plays like a distant cousin of his previous roguelike 868-Hack, with a focus on positioning and smart use of your abilities, but expanded exponentially and offering surprising complexity.
Imbroglio is many things. It's a roguelike, as you tactically use different skills and turn-based movement to outlast increasingly challenging groups of enemies. It's a card game, with each class having unique skills and limitations that define the kind of deck you can build. And it's a board game, as you use those cards to build the floor of the board itself, carefully considering synergy between abilities and your health and mana and where enemies will enter the arena. Imbroglio is the kind of simple-to-play yet surprisingly complex game that you'll often find on mobile, and one of the best roguelikes the platform has to offer.

Honorable Mentions
x. Sethian ; I've never played anything like Sethian. Essentially Arrival: The Game, it's a narrative adventure/linguistic puzzler that challenges you to learn how to read and communicate in an alien language. Wholly unique and very clever
x. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine ; I missed The Witcher 3 last year, so this is essentially a vote for the whole game, not merely the DLC, I was blown away by The Witcher 3; it's the sprawling detailed bleak medieval fantasy RPG I always wanted
x. N++ ; I'd place the physics-driven platforming and slick smooth controls of the original N up there with games like Super Meat Boy as one of the forefathers of the indie precision platformer, and N++ is the culmination of 12 years of refinement on that original game, with thousands of smartly-designed stages that wringe diverse platforming challenges from a simple moveset.
x. Devil Daggers ; If DOOM was the modern update of the old-school shooter, Devil Daggers is the other side of the coin, distilling the genre to its leanest form. You, your weapon, an arena, a cacophonous onslaught of eldritch horrors, now survive. An oppressive symphony of distorted shrieks, skittering legs, guttural roars, echoing moans brings to life a bestiary of bone and flesh and too many appendages. Devil Daggers' sound design is some of the best you'll hear this year
x. Thumper ; The most intense, most satisfying, and most draining test of reflexes since Super Hexagon, Thumper is equal parts simplicity and excess, easy-to-understand but challenging-to-master gameplay within a sensory overload of movement, color, and sound. If Super Hexagon was hypnotic in its shifting twisting geometric minimalism, then Thumper is 2001's mesmerizing mindfuck given metal life.
x. The Witness ; Jonathan Blow's seven-years-in-the-making magnus opus is a puzzle game masterpiece, a vibrant Myst-like that wordlessly teaches you to understand its expansive repertoire of mechanics
x. Doom ; You are not a one-man army. You are a god of death, a bringer of ruin and slaughter to the forces of hell. They fear you and rightfully so, as you unleash unstoppable fury upon them through relentlessly fast first-person shooter action

1. DOOM ; With roots firmly planted in classic game design, DOOM delivers the most fun and intelligently badass game of the year. We need more big budget games like this where the focus is on quality level design over laundry lists of chores, gameplay over ceaseless narrative exposition. DOOM is probably tied with Tropical Freeze for my game of the generation. Bring on the sequel!

2. Overwatch ; When I was hooked on this game, nothing else would suffice. Great cast of characters and locales, just casual enough for a casual like me to enjoy. I don't think it tops Splatoon as my favorite multiplayer shooter this gen but it comes damn close.

3. The Last Guardian ; An Ueda game in 2016, bless up. Hope it's not his last! Last Guardian was the closest I've ever come to being emotionally moved by a game. What a beautiful ending! If it had been polished, I may have placed it above Overwatch, but the framerate is inexcusably abysmal.

4. The Witness ; A beautiful and horrific game.

5. XCOM 2 ; I'll probably never finish it, but I love strategy/tactical games and they are all too rare on consoles nowadays. Had a blast slowly losing my hopeless war of attrition against the aliens.

6. Star Fox Zero ; Since this game is impossible to discuss without a mention of the controls, I'll just say they gave me no issue. In fact, I thought they brought new possibilities to the genre.

7. Dishonored 2 ; Improves on the original in every way possible...except narrative. A thoroughly forgettable story and cast of characters. But the story of the world of Karnaca unfolds perfectly through gameplay, and that's what matters most.

8. Pocket Card Jockey ; Just about a perfect handheld game. Solitaire horse racing at its finest.

9. Inside ; This game plays out like a picture book of a haunted subconscious. Wonderful narrative experience in a genre I'm typically not interested in.

10. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE ; It somehow took a bunch of stuff I dislike, i.e., tropey anime, SMT/Persona gameplay, J-pop, and turned it into a super fun and charming experience by unapologetically going for it. Probably my favorite straight JRPG since FFVII.

Honorable Mentions: Paper Mario: Color Splash, Kirby: Planet Robobot, Star Fox Guard

Leeness

Was scrolling through the spreadsheet because I can never remember when games come out anymore, but why is Life is Strange in there? Pretty sure it finished in 2015? Or was there a port or something?

If it qualifies, I'll totally add it to my list though lol

1. Pokemon Sun and Moon; Best Pokemon game in at least four years, probably more. Improves upon XYORAS on every way apart from ease of getting into multiplayer.
2. Overwatch
3. Doom
4. Fire Emblem Fates
5. Star Fox Zero; Contrary to popular opinion I really liked this after about half an hour of getting used to the controls.
6. Unravel

Rarely, if ever, post in GOTY threads as I don't buy most games at launch but wait for a discount meaning by the end of the year I've only played at most half the games I eventually will. I only posted this time because I was so impressed with Sun/Moon.

Was scrolling through the spreadsheet because I can never remember when games come out anymore, but why is Life is Strange in there? Pretty sure it finished in 2015? Or was there a port or something?

If it qualifies, I'll totally add it to my list though lol

If something released on a new platform (I think PS4 in this case?), it's eligible to be voted on, but it also gets marked as a "re-release" which means it isn't counted for the main "Games of the Year" list. It is still counted in the platform and genre specific awards, though.

There's a "re-release?" column on the far right of the spreadsheet that indicates this. The data is still being filled out so don't be surprised if some titles aren't marked as re-release yet... we'll be correcting the data up until the end of voting, especially as new nominations come in.

Namikaze1

1. Uncharted 4 ; A perfect send-off for Drake and co. ND and all the actors involved brought their A-game for Drake's last adventure. Both Nolan North and Emily Rose give their best performances yet as Nathan Drake and Elena Fisher respectively. ND's attention to detail is still, in my opinion, second to none.

2. Inside ; A short but brilliant game. Although the ending got spoiled for me, I still ended up enjoying the game.

3. Dark Souls 3 ; To this day, the only Souls game I have platinumed. I still remember how I reacted upon seeing a certain area of the game, one that I was glad to not have gotten it spoiled. I also had a different reaction when I got killed by the enemies in that area. Screw you, you bastards.

4. Pokemon Sun ; the changes Sun and Moon brought to the franchise were desperately needed. The new Pokemon designs are one of the best in a long while. I won't forget my time traveling around the Alola islands with my fire cat, Litten and its later evos. The first Pokemon game were I sought to complete the dex and I did.

5. Final Fantasy XV ; while the story felt (and kinda is) incomplete, I found myself enjoying my time with Noctis and the gang. The new combat system is great and something I hope they can expand and improve upon in further games. The OST is simply amazing. Favorite of the year and one of my favorites in gaming.

6. Watch Dogs 2 ; I was surprised by how good the game was after being disappointed with the first game. Marcus is a much, MUCH better protagonist than Aiden or whatever his name is. Thanks to the game's mechanics, I found myself completing all kinds of missions just by hacking and without any confrontation.

7. Battlefield 1 ; the guns' sound, the destruction, the planes, the freaking tanks...I loved everything about BF1. Especially Operations. Best addition to the series. Spent so much time in that game mode. Now if only folks playing medic could do their damn role!

Honorable Mentions
x. Doom
x. Titanfall 2

1. Uncharted 4 ; Worthy end of a thief
2. Doom ; Rip & tear as gameplay principle rocks so much
3. Steins Gate Zero ; Cause I just love time travel stories
4. Ratched & Clank ; cause why not

Leeness

If something released on a new platform (I think PS4 in this case?), it's eligible to be voted on, but it also gets marked as a "re-release" which means it isn't counted for the main "Games of the Year" list. It is still counted in the platform and genre specific awards, though.

There's a "re-release?" column on the far right of the spreadsheet that indicates this. The data is still being filled out so don't be surprised if some titles aren't marked as re-release yet... we'll be correcting the data up until the end of voting, especially as new nominations come in.

I see, I see. I guess I'll keep it off my list because I played it in 2015 haha.

Thanks for the info though.

Vuze

1. Hitman ; Great mechanics, fantastic levels, refreshing distribution. It was great returning to the game over the course of the year!
2. Batman: The Telltale Series ;
3. Dark Souls 3 ;
4. Rise of the Tomb Raider ;
5. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided ;
6. Forza Horizon 3 ;
7. Skyrim Remastered ;
x. Uncharted 4 ; Great graphics/art style and locations but horrible pacing and simply not fun gunplay. Still deserves a honorable mention for what the devs pulled off on the platform.
x. Unravel ; Absolutely lovely graphics and story telling but unfortunately suffers from a weird difficulty curve and partially wonky physics.
x. God Eater Resurrection ; Was happy to see this making its way to PC. Not my favorite title of the "hunting" genre but I hope it showed there is demand for more of these titles on PC. Enjoyed what I played.
x. Watch_Dogs 2 ;

maxcriden

Thanks as always to Cheesemeister and Timetokill!

Looking forward to reading entries. I feel like 2016 I played the fewest new releases of any recent year. Paper Jam, Robobot, TPHD... Color Splash... anything else...? Hmm. A little bit of Starfox Guard. Maybe we'll play Unravel this week....

Sabree

Neo Member
1.Rez Infinite ; The one game that made me care about VR.
2.The Last Guardian
3.Doom
4.Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
5.Super Mario Run

1. DOOM ; Easily the best shooter I've played in years, and the best game of the year.
2. Forza Horizon 3 ; I don't even care for racing games that much, but I love this series.
3. Mafia 3 ; A fantastic story and brutal gunplay really made me enjoy this game despite some of its repetitive mechanics.
4. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE ; Best JRPG of the year. Yup, much better than FFXV. This one has a story and characters that actually make sense and you come to care about.
5. Hitman ; Definitely the surprise of the year for me. I never cared too much for this series, but this game is fantastic
6. Overwatch ; I played a ton of this game, but I can't put it higher because of the loot box garbage.
I'll finish the rest later

1. Dark Souls III ; This game absolutely set the bar for action RPG gameplay. The controls are responsive, the difficulty is very challenging from start to finish (but almost never unfair), the combat has a weight to it that I've never felt in another game, the hitboxes are orgasmic, the bosses get your adrenaline pumping like nothing else, and the summon/invade system adds a co-op/PvP element into the game that results in plenty of fun, unpredictable, and sometimes downright hilarious moments. The story presentation is minimalism done right -- it contains tons of lore but few cutscenes and little dialogue, so you get to decide how much you want to delve into the story. And let's not forget the incredible sound design and rock solid OST! Dark Souls III surpassed my expectations in every way, and is unquestionably my top game of 2016.

2. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen ; If I had played this game any other year, it would have easily been my GotY. Another incredible action RPG, and in a different way than Dark Souls III. Dragon's Dogma contains party-based combat (though you can play solo if you want), 9 playable vocations with unique skills and passive abilities, big monsters than you can climb on, and quite possibly the best spellcasting gameplay in the entire action RPG genre. Unlike A.I. teammates in so many other games, the pawns in Dragon's Dogma are super helpful and make you feel like a team, instead of it feeling like you're carrying some dumb NPCs through the levels with you. The DLC area Bitterblack Isle (included in the PC version) feels like it was inspired by Dark Souls, and that's most definitely a good thing -- it's full of horrifically strong monsters that act as a great test of your positioning skills, enemy weak spot knowledge, and party setup cohesion. Sure, the story and characters are pretty weak (with the notable exception of the dragon Grigori), but for those of us who value gameplay above all else, this game delivers a very satisfying and memorable experience that few other action RPGs can match.

3. Overwatch ; There isn't really much to say that hasn't already been said about this game. I loved Team Fortress 2, and Blizzard basically gave us that mixed with MOBA elements and the leftover characters and lore from their scrapped MMO project Titan. It's by far the best multiplayer game of the year, and I expect to have fun playing it with my friends for years to come.

Query:

Fire Emblem Fates was released as one package, in admittedly limited quantity, as a triple pack. Am I not able to vote for that? It seems contradictory that Assassin's Creed Chronicles Trilogy Pack is eligible for voting, but I can't cast a vote for Fire Emblem Fates as a whole.

Adding to the sentiment that it's weird Fire Emblem Fates doesnt blanket each of its releases under the same entry. The spreadsheet counts Pokemon Sun and Moon as the same entry, so it's especially strange that you guys are segregating the votes for Fates. They're all designed to be different parts of one gigantic game, and you only get the full narrative if you've played all three. I feel like Fates will be placed unfairly in the final ranking if it's as three separate games.

Glad this thread is back, though! Excited to put together my list. I still need to play a few big releases from this year.
Nah, unlike Pokemon the games are very different. And I won't vote for it at all if they're combined, because fuck Revelation.

1. Final Fantasy XV ; Regardless of some flaws, it was just a jolly ride
2. Pokémon Sun/Moon ; For me the best Pokemon generation, so much low for the fans and still so many new things
3. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; What to say, ND made it again, this is worthy ending for this story
4. Dark Souls III ; DS serial is back again. This is, after the Bloodborne, best Souls game for me personally
5. Picross 3D: Round 2 ; I'm such an addict for this game, so much fun for such a simple concept

Thanks as always to Cheesemeister and Timetokill!

Looking forward to reading entries. I feel like 2016 I played the fewest new releases of any recent year. Paper Jam, Robobot, TPHD... Color Splash... anything else...? Hmm. A little bit of Starfox Guard. Maybe we'll play Unravel this week....

A lot of people sleeping on Pocket Card Jockey, apparently.

plidex

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; The perfect send off to Drake, I loved all the slower scenes like the mansion and Drake's house. For the ones that have been following his story, it's much more than a generic 3rd person action adventure game.

2. Inside ; A game that took me by surprise. Fantastic art, enjoyable puzzles and an intriguing world.

3. Forza Horizon 3 ; The open world driving formula perfected. If only its handling was more realistic.

4. Battlefield 1 ; Battlefield's return to form. I hadn't enjoyed an online FPS this much since Bad Company 2.

5. Hitman ; It has an amount of re-playability that it would had probably been wasted if the game hadn't been released episodically. I had doubts the game was going to be good, but it turned out to be great.

6. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; Great graphics (especially on Pro), world, and gameplay. Held back by the story.

7. Watch_Dogs 2 ; Ubisoft realized that having good characters matter.

8. Overcooked ; So good it makes antisocial people wish they had friends.

9. Civilization VI ; It's very difficult to innovate when you have a winning formula, but they managed to make a great change with the inclusion of districts.

10. Oxenfree ; Great dialogues, intriguing story, engaging gameplay.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
1. Uncharted 4; Great end to a great franchise.
2. Destiny Rise of Iron; Don't care if it is a game or not, better than all the other 2016 FPS.
3. Watch_dogs 2; Love the setting and banter between chars.
4. Gear of War 4; Fun game, nothing special.
5. No Man's Sky; Backlash was total BS. Good game that did what it set out to do.

Lots of games I have not played or not played enough.

Bsigg12

It is truly incredible how many people don't read the OP. There is a lot of work being done by Cheesemeister to handle this for us and they can't take 2 minutes to read through how the ballots should be made.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
1. Dark Souls III ; It's Dark Souls, it's amazing and I put more time into it then any other game this year.
2. Xanadu Next ; Incredible isometric Symphony of the Night em up. Brilliant top to bottom.
3. Tyranny ; A really nice CRPG with Obsidian's trademark reactivity. Really cool setting and characters too.
4. Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun ; I forgot how much I missed the Commandos series before playing this fantastic throwback.
5. Hitman ; IO really turned things around after the miserable Absolution. Might even eclipse Blood Money as my favorite in the series.
6. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided ; It's more Human Revolution, it didn't do anything to really improve the formula but it executed it well with some really fantastic level design.
7. Dirt Rally ; Simply the best racing game I've played since Rallysport Challenge 2, in fact it might be my new favorite racing game of all time.
8. Doom ; Biggest surprise of the year. I thought it was going to be terrible, but it turned out to be a lot of fun. Nice to see id still has it.
9. Dishonored 2 ; Beneath all the technical issues lies a very well made game with some really creative level designs.
10. XCOM 2 ; I almost didn't include this since I needed to mod out the terrible turn limits to enjoy the game, but with those removed it's better the the first in every single way.

I voted for Xanadu Next even though it's not on the spreadsheet. It got it's first ever english release this year so it should definitely count.

1. Final Fantasy XV ; I get excited for every new mainline Final Fantasy, always hoping this will be the one to rekindle the fire I felt for VI, VII, and X. The last decade of games have all disappointed me in one way or another. Despite that, I've sunk countless hours into them, and love them all in different ways. XV is no different. While the broad strokes of the story are great, the delivery is abominable. Far too fractured and strangely paced. Despite that, the world was a joy to explore, the dungeons a joy to delve, the combat system a joy to get my head around, and, by the end, I felt a real affection for the core cast of initially tiresome bros. They went on a journey, and, when all was said and done, it was one with a lot of heart and spectacle. 70 hours in, just starting on post-game content, and excited to see what else the game has in store.

2. Witcher 3 - Blood and Wine ; Damn I love the Witcher 3. Orginal game is still my gotg, easily edging FF XV. It's all about characterization, narrative, and solid writing. Gritty but never takes itself too seriously. Like a fine post-communist Eastern European work, there's comedy, tragedy, and it's all wrapped up in a shaky but genuine faith in the possibility of occasional human decency. Blood and Wine's writing didn't reach the heights of the main game or of Hearts of Stone, but it was still solid, putting our grudging protagonist in a whole slew of trouble, and letting us guide him through with grace, lots of blood, and large helpings of bone-dry humor. The finish, Geralt sitting on his vineyard, kicking it with his wayward daughter, really hit home for me.

3. The Witness ; I'm not a huge fan of puzzle games. However, I gave the Witness a chance and ended up spending 10s of hours on it. It's not really a puzzle game in some ways. It's more like a language-training program at first, rooted in the complex emergent interactions of a limited set of simple symbols. But part way through, it becomes much less about learning a new language, and much more about learning a new way of seeing. I think it's not a coincidence that, in the year 2016, the primary interface for puzzles is so tablet-like. As you crouch over your puzzles, tracing meaningless glowing lines, one might as well be huddled over the ipad, poking at something vapid and fundamentally soulless. But, then, suddenly, you hit a dead-end. Your eye wanders. It catches a crooked branch in the background.... By the end, the game had trained my eye and attention to continually probe the environment, consider my place in relation to it, and work through how the nexus of where I'd been, where I was, and where I was going led naturally, and often quite effortlessly, to the correct solution of puzzle after puzzle. I even found myself after playing defaulting up from my phone or tablet in real life to cast my eye around, and often noticed interesting things I would have missed otherwise.

4. Dragon Quest Builders ; I've only scratched the surface on this, but damn it's fun. Even my kids (who I'm proud to say have limited interest in games) got way into this and went around talking about Bildrick for a few days. When I put more time in it might rise in the rankings, but I'm just too early to say for now. EDIT: OK, after 20 plus hours I've bumped this from 10 to 4. This game delivers. I'm sinking a ton of time in world two into making the perfect nature-themed resort town, and the exploration, progression, and quests all add to the fun. This may currently be my favorite DQ game of all time, edging 4 and 5. Perhaps my favorite element is how when starting a new world you start almost from square one, and then accrue different recipes. This kind of layered learning to learn is one of the most reliable broad game mechanics for me.

5. I Am Setsuna ; This was a sweet little game that didn't come close to the heights of its inspirations (e.g., Chrono Trigger). But I still enjoyed it quite a bit. Good tonal consistency, nice size, and I really appreciated the attempt to make something in the classic style, even if some of it fell flat.

6. Stella Glow ; This funny little strategy game was my one big time investment on handheld this year. The battle system was fast enough and crunchy enough, and the witch songs catchy enough, that I kept plugging away, even when the story was a bit generic. Man, I'd really like another FF Tactics or Tactics Ogre style game...

7. Shinovi Versus Estival ; Looking back on the year, I'm embarrassed I played as much of this as I did. The fan service is embarrassing when not just silly. But there's something super appealing to me in a simple but flashy brawler with a huger character roster and my time with this was a lot of fun in a year where I didn't have much mindless time-waster gaming.

8. Bravely Second End Layer ; Didn't come close to the first game, which I loved. The story and music just didn't deliver at the same level. The battle and job systems are great though, a ton of fun to work through, and I hope an inspiration to other developers looking to modernize turn based battle.

9. Trails of Cold Steel 2 ; Almost left this off. God the beginning is bad. Like, the first 10 hours plus, just horrible plotting, terrible writing, miserable pacing, such a let-down after CS1's ending. It's like they had no idea how to take a direct sequel and make the transition work effectively as the beginning of a new game. However, it does pick up some, and as the less irritating characters start showing up it gets better. I'll probably even finish it one of these days! Still, shamefully bad opening given the broader series' writing.

10. Final Fantasy Brave Exvius ; What? A mobile game? There were things that I didn't like about this game, and, surprise surprise! They were clearly due to it's being on mobile. Specifically, the gated progress and gacha crap. However, it still felt more or less like an engaging classic Final Fantasy adventure, and that goes a long way w/ me.

Side note: I'll be starting TLG when I get back from traveling, so that may well find it's way on the list given how much I loved SotC.

Also, this was a strange year for gaming for me. I anticipated a great deal, and started a moderate amount, but enjoyed only a small portion of the games I played. I didn't have the time I've had in the past (new demanding job while having to simultaneously take point on all childcare), which may have been part of it. Almost all of the games on my top ten were actually substantial disappointments, not delivering in certain ways I hoped they would (barring Estival, which I didn't expect to get into, and Builders which has way over-delivered). Even in my top two, though I found a lot to like, and don't regret the cumulative 100 hours I've put into them, they didn't hit the highs I hoped they would.

I'm craving deep and well paced narrative in my games, and 2016 didn't do much to provide that. I'm more hopeful for 2017, Persona 5, Ni No Kuni 2, FF 7R, Nier: A, Dragon Quest 11, and hopefully some smaller RPGs and indies that aren't on my radar yet, but I wonder if I'll end up w/ the same qualified disappointment I did this year.

1. DOOM ; A return to the glory days of the FPS genre. Fast paced, well designed and superbly staged. Almost no QTE, scripts or auto-recovery bullshit. Just pure and fun gunplay (and some good platforming).

2. The Last Guardian ; A flawed gem with a lot of heart. Trico feels like a real companion, and is easily one of the better characters ever depicted in a videogame.

3. Paper Mario: Color Splash ; Still not your traditional Paper Mario 3, but improves vastly on everything Sticker Star tried to do. Bigger, prettier and much, much funnier.

4. Titanfall 2 ; The campaign, while short, is absolutely fantastic. Like a Call of Duty mixed with Mirror's Edge, mixed with Steel Battalion, mixed with some other great and random ideas like the factory of a DKC game or the timeshift stones of Skyward Sword.

I've played some more games, but these are my picks for getting a little push on the list.

Alex

1. Overwatch ; Wasn't planning for an FPS to top my list, hasn't been my thing in a long time. Nice to see Blizzard hit the mark, it actually makes up for the digital torture that is Legion.

2. Monster Hunter Generations ; It's more Monster Hunter and I really like the format. It makes me a little expectant of no. 5 though.

3. Dragon Quest Builders ; Significantly better than I expected. The very best iteration of Minecraft-like game out there and it's one of those spinoffs that manages to use the franchise in a non-tacky manner.

4. Final Fantasy XV ; Still not what I want out of Final Fantasy, but a quality title that is better than the sum of it's parts. Big step up from XIII, big step down from Heavensward.

5. Pokemon Sun ; Never expected to care about Pokemon again. This one is the real deal though, great time to give it another try.

6. Stardew Valley ; Not the biggest fan of the art but it's a great iterations of a Harvest Moon-like. I wasn't as smitten by it as some, I wouldn't pick it over say... Rune Factory 4 but I would take it over the first Story of Seasons.

7. Dragon's Dogma ; Great game, great port. Happy to see this get another chance at life.

8. Dragon Quest VII ; Great game, so-so port. Odd menu quirks should be ironed out but Square always impresses in their unreliability.

9. Dark Souls III; I'll be honest, I merely liked this and something else should probably go here but I'm halfway through like... four games. It's better than Bloodborne or Dark Souls II but not as enjoyable, to me, as Demon's Souls or Dark Souls. Maybe I'm just ready for From to take the format somewhere else.

10. Rollercoaster Tycoon Classic ; Random. This is a really, really good port and it's nice to care about something on mobile again besides Terra Battle.

No honorable mentions or anything, I struggled to make this list and it is barely in any kind of order and I'm still playing through a lot of other titles. It was an interesting year for games, my list did not look like I expected at all.

Bumhead

Banned
1. DOOM ; My top 3 ended up being split by a hair this year, and for top spot I went for the one of the three that I think I'll still be coming back to play in years to come. That's DOOM. For me it's near-perfect. A well paced, consistently fun fusion of everything I want out of a game, and it never skips a beat.

2. Forza Horizon 3 ; Again, just an incredibly fun experience. Gorgeous visuals and sound and a game that makes simply driving around fun in itself. Some of the big "set piece" race events are utterly extraordinary.

3. Titanfall 2 ; The first FPS (apart from Titanfall 1) to give me a real game changer buzz since Modern Warfare. Only unlike Titanfall 1, this sequel adds in a wonderfully surprising single player campaign too.

4. Gears of War 4 ; Even as a fan of the series this came out of left field for me. Way better than it had any right to be. Reminded me why I love and probably always will love the core gameplay of Gears.

5. Pokémon Go ; Brought my non-gamer friends and family together in a way I've personally never seen video games do. It might have only lasted a month but what an incredible experience.

6. Reigns ; Hilariously written and inventive. Scratched a Tinder swiping itch without getting me in trouble with the other half..

7. Dirt Rally ; Difficult but incredibly rewarding and ultimately enjoyable

1. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided ; This is a great example of how much better a game can be when a developer addresses the complaints of its predecessor instead of trying to do too much. Better world building and level design, tighter mission structure and interesting new abilities. They didn't try to do too much, but knew Human Revolution wasn't flawless and focused on those flaws to make a fantastic sequel. In addition to a strong campaign, the game also introduces a surprisingly solid First Person Puzzle experience with Breach. Easily my favorite game of the year.

2. Overwatch ; I don't think I need to say much about this game that hasn't already been said. Great art style and characters. Solid competitive gameplay. And best of all, backed by one of the few developers known for regularly supporting their titles beyond paid DLC.

3. Grim Dawn ; I think every time I write up a GOTY list, some sort of Diablo clone makes it's way into my top 3. This year is no exception. Again, much like Squeenix did with Mankind Divided, Crate did with Grim Dawn. They knew they had a solid foundation already with Titan Quest, and instead of trying to do to much, they simply built upon it. Darker setting, faster combat, and a devotion system that expands on the already strong dual class skill system.

4. Titanfall 2 ; This was a year I knew I would only be buying one of the big 3 FPS titles this holiday season, and I think I made the right choice with TF2. I've had my fill of CoD and BF over the years, and have always said the movement of the original was going to breath new life into the FPS genre, and I am glad I was right. The developers nail the seamless movement and combat better than any one else. A strong campaign that introduces the players to each of the new titans in addition to some clever puzzle platform mechanics are the highlight of what is still a very strong competitive multiplayer shooter. Customization for pilots and titans still isn't as strong as a CoD title, but a lot of that has more to do with the two unique play styles than a lack of content. Bounty Hunt is a great new game mode that encourages movement and PvP engagements and yet it seems like the majority of TF players only care about the PvE element of Attrition. I hoped that the Campaign would quench that thirst and open the multiplayer up to more competitive game modes, but sadly Attrition still dominates. It is worth noting that EA and Respawn are much like Blizzard and Overwatch are taking a Free updates approach for the life of the product. Hopefully that keeps players interested for the foreseeable future, but so far it seems the game is suffering the same fate as the original... A slow death due to a lack of interest in any game mode besides Attrition. That game mode can go die in a fire. This game could have easily made my Top 3 if Attrition was left out.

5. The Division ; And another Loot game makes the list. A game generally hated by the masses at Gaf, but damn if it doesn't have some of the best Gunplay of a third person shooter. While the missions feel very samey, there are some fun side missions and collectibles to hunt out that build on the world. I feel like this is a game that, much like Destiny, has a solid foundation that just needed more time. A sequel to The Division could do great things for this Franchise.

6. Doom ; Great Gunplay and atmosphere propel this throwback shooter to heights I never expected it to reach. While I wish the Hell sections were better designed, the game felt like a proper reboot of the franchise than Doom 3. A true throwback without trying to shove too much newness down our throats. While the multiplayer wasn't on par with IDs best work, Snap Map is what I have the highest hopes for.

7. Gears of War 4 ; To be honest, I didn't think i'd get this game. A friend of mine bought it for me, and I had a lot of fun with the multiplayer for a bit. The Campaign seems solid enough however I am yet to beat it, but the thing that interested me the most about it was the evolution of Horde mode. They turned it into a very interactive Tower Defense mode that feels both fresh and inviting.

8. Star Ocean 5 ; I feel like this game gets a lot of hate mainly because the voice acting in SO4 was so god awful. Combat IMO was weaker than previous versions but serviceable, but story was certainly better and the character design was better as well. I feel like this game could have benefited from a larger budget and more development time. Ultimately the game was a step back but still enjoyable.

The Truth is i have played more backlog games this year than 2016 games... my list is very light

1. Steep ; (PS4) The mountains literally talk in this addictive, immersive and gorgeous winter sports sim... and there's more to come!

2. Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir ; (PS4) One of PS2's greatest 2D action games is redone to perfection. The game has sublime controls, beautiful soundtrack and amazing hand-drawn art.

3. Star Fox Zero ; (Wii U) It's a Sega 90's game but the label on the back says Nintendo.

4. Pro Evolution Soccer 2017 ; (PS4) The king is back (in single player, that is). If every iteration of PES was released every 4 years, PES 2017 would be in my top 3. As it is, it will be forgotten when PES 2018 arrives.

5. NBA 2K17 ; (PC/PS4) The series has raised the bar in basketball simulation so high that no other developer can touch it in 10 years.

6. Clash Royale ; (IOS) Brilliant RTS, MOBA and card came hybrid. Pure addiction in a 3-mins-a-round package. Could have been GOTY if not for the permanent level-up system. Games should start from level 1 in the beginning of every match like traditional RTS's.

7. Pokemon Go ; (Mobile) The app is gone in my phone but the fun of catching pokemon in the real world with friends will stay in my memory forever. The experience was far greater than the game itself.

8. Gundam Breaker 3 ; (PS4) Hack and slash, build and destroy.

9. Super Robot Wars OG: The Moon Dwellers ; (PS4) The translation was bad, yes, but at least we have this in English.

10. House of the Dying Sun ; (PC) How many people developed this game again?

Honorable Mentions:
x. Rez Infinite ; The game that never gets old.
x. Pokken Tournament; Great mechanics but the low-res graphics bring it down.
x. Overwatch; Great FPS but it can't touch Splatoon as the best and most original shooter of this generation.
x. No Man's Sky; Chill game but would have preferred it to have less walking and more flying. The horizon is also too short for a flight sim. Too much fog.

Disappointments of the Year:
z. The Last Guardian - Horrible controls and camera but still worth playing for its magnificent presentation. You can "play" this on Youtube.
z. Ratchet & Clank - No split-screen multiplayer and the controls were stuck in the PS2 era--and at 30 fps (the original ran at 60). The developers should have copied Splatoon's gyro controls and traversal system to make the game feel faster.

1. Overwatch; Blizzard hits a much needed home run. Fast paced, fun, and bursting with personality that even invites non-players along for the ride, it's nothing short of a triumph.

2. Forza Horizon 3; a celebration of life on the road itself, Forza Horizon 3 is the best refinement of the formula yet, with an eye-popping world, tons of interesting roads and backwoods, and a generous assortment of gorgeous cars. Microsoft's most comprehensive first party experience by far; fully realized and compromise-free

3. Doom ; . The DMC level structure of being forced into constant arena rooms in between bouts of fast, fun platforming was the perfect way to show how efficient and badass the main character was. And that wouldn't have worked in a slower paced game. I hope whatever they do next with Quake involves the labyrinth sprawling lovecraftian castles of Quake 1, that'd make some from delicious platforming.

4. X-COM 2 is a challenging--too challenging-follow up to the last game, and a fine sequel that fixes a lot of the issues of the first game, though I still wish it were a bit more like the classic title. It can still be too difficult to tell exactly what tripping an alien pod is gonna do to you.

5. Planet Coaster; it may be more design tool than game, but it's a simple moveset and an impressive, imaginative creation suite. Glad to ride again.

6. Pokemon Moon, hated the constant Lillie cutscenes, but loved how playable the whole thing was, and the new pokemon, which seem to be more modeled after actual dangerous wildlife than cutesy, wimpy fish.

7. Gears 4 is a competent shooter that is boosted by some great out of the box support for different modes, but it's pretty biege over all. That IQ though...Unreal Engine 4 has arrived.

These are the titles I played this year that I liked.

Sane_Man

1. Overwatch ; I wasn't convinced by the beta but ended up taking a chance on the game anyway. Amazing decision. Probably the most fun online shooter I've ever played. It frustrates the hell out of me at times but I always come back for more.

2. Dark Souls III ; Perfect end to my favourite games series of all time. Probably the best experience of the year for me but for originality I had to give the number one slot to Overwatch.

3. The Last Guardian ; Trico was real to me, dammit. I was constantly moved by this game like never before. Somehow worth the wait.

4. Monster Hunter Generations ; These games always stick their claws into me and while the addiction lasts it's astoundingly fun and rewarding.

5. Uncharted 4 ; Didn't top 2 but it was masterfully made. Amazing storytelling.

6. Forza Horizon 3 ; I usually get bored of racers after a few hours. This was an exception. Beautiful and endlessly fun. Custom soundtracks heightened the experience massively.

7. Destiny: Rise of Iron ; Almost didn't put it on here because my hype and excitement for Destiny has dropped with each DLC. I still probably put more hours into this than any other game though and the raid was great.

8. Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun ; I didn't realise how badly I needed a Commandos like experience until I played this. Super addictive and intense.

9. Titanfall 2 ; One of the most exciting single player experiences I've ever played in a shooter. Multiplayer was fun for a short while.

10. Doom ; Heaps of fun. Exhilarating. Intense.

danowat

Banned
1. Inside ; Pure genius, everything about it is crafted so well, and the last part of the game is a masterstroke.

2. Forza Horizon 3 ; Arcade racing personified, plus the best skies in gaming to date.

3. Doom ; One of the slickest FPS's ever made, the glory kill system is such a simple but extremely effective addition.

4. Unravel ; Simply gorgeous, looks sublime and a heartfelt story to tug the heartstrungs.

5. Oxenfree ; Not my usual cup of tea, but a genuinely interesting and genuinely unnerving story.

6. Enter the Gungeon ; Cracking twin stick roguelike with a very likeable art style.

7. Dirt Rally ; The best hardcore rally game since RBR, hard as nails but extremely satisfying when you nail a stage.

8. Xcom 2 ; If you like repeatedly kicking yourself in the balls this game is for you, rock hard, but so fun and compelling.

9. Steamworld Heist ; One of the best turned based games there is, combined with a nice art style and a light hearted story.

10. Dungeon of the Endless ; Great little roguelike with a smattering of Tower defense thrown in, very compelling gameplay.

Honorable Mentions
x. Assetto Corsa ; A true sim for consoles, very bare bones but the physics carries it.

x. Ironcast ; Just when you thought you had seen all the match 3 style games, this comes along, I had a lot of fun with it.

x. Stardew Valley ; Bit late in the day for an addition to the main list, but a very fun game.

Miletius

Quick question: are the Hearthstone expansions eligible? There were 3 released this year -- Whispers of the Old Gods (WoTOG) 4/2016, One Night in Karazhan (ONiK), 8/2016 and Mean Steets of Gadgetzan (MSoG) 12/2016.

Jachaos

n6XJEGz.png

1. Final Fantasy XV ; My first Final Fantasy and I'd say it was a tough call. The side characters were not interesting and the story was told with very weird pacing, seemingly rushing me through chapters from halfway on. We've also talked a lot about the shallow females of FFXV. And the chapter 13 is one of the most frustrating and awful parts of a game I've played in a while.

Despite all of that though, I love the package as a whole. I've had a lot of fun with the combat. The unique open-world is breathtaking at times. The music is awesome. The visuals, while uneven, can be astonishing. I enjoyed party's adventure - the Three Musketeers feeling of it all. And I loved the ending: the song for the credits, its use of
Prompto's photos
, and the post-credit scene's voice acting. Speaking of
Prompto's photos
, that's the feature that put this game over the hump for me. It was very strong mechanically and narratively. It's one of the most innovative ideas I've seen for this kind of game in a long time.

O7BvuhO.png

2. Battlefield 1 ; What can I say, it's simply a fun game. I have a great time playing it and I'm looking forward to more of it. Great visuals, love the sound and the setting. Operations are awesome. There's not much bad to say about it. Maybe the slow pause menu and the odd bugs here and there.

DpjD4dV.png

3. The Last Guardian ; What a ride. It's very unique. Trico is charming and a great companion. It feels so real. I recognize all of my animals in it. The art is awesome. In fact this game is a piece of art. Interesting tale told through exploration. However, the 3C can break a game, and while I would've put this game at #1 based on what I said above, it was simply too frustrating too often to get that spot. Basically, the camera sucks and the controls suck. The camera went haywire more than a few times, the way most actions are mapped is odd and the movements are clunky, so much that I often fell to my death and didn't feel like it was my fault, it was the game's, and that's basic game design. Don't frustrate your player like that. The boy is simply a pain to control.

Trico on the other hand is very good in that regard, its movements are natural and they feel good. However, too often it simply won't listen, even though I've been using the right commands and pointing the camera at where I want it to go. As such, I often found myself thinking that wasn't the way to go, even though it was, and lost dozens of minutes each time. The level design is mostly great but there's some weaknesses. Most notably, that water cave where you need to have a crate float in a specific spot for Trico to help.

xhsUFGJ.png

4. Uncharted 4 ; Fun adventure. Great visuals, good story and I actually liked the pacing more than others it seems like. Good level design, nice mix of stealth, combat, platforming and puzzles. There wasn't anything especially strong with this one aside from the visuals, animations and polish, but it was a great package all around.

j3tOj0o.png

5. Mirror's Edge Catalyst ; Yeah, it disappointed overall. Still, I had a lot of fun with it. It's Mirror's Edge, there's nothing else quite like it, and the combat was better than the first game's at least. The story too, I thought while playing. The ending was weak as hell though. I know the move to open-world didn't please everyone, and more could've been with it for sure, but creating your own races was cool and there were still linear levels in some missions and sidequests.

3cVEM8a.png

6. Jackbox Party Pack 3 ; So much fun was had with friends and family playing Fakin' It, Quiplash 2 and Trivial Murder Party. That latter one in particular is very clever in a lot of its design. There are many fun situations it pits losing players in. The rush at the end and the catch-up mechanics offered there. It was a fun party game and a nice surprise hit here.

DxBcESw.png

7. Watch_Dogs 2 ; I'm not finished with it but what I've played so far is good and I love that they recreated San Francisco and some of the bay area as I loved visiting that place a couple of years ago. The seamless multiplayer can be fun and there's a lot of great ideas for the open-world hacking and the in-game phone apps.

BeA1a2q.png

8. Fire Emblem Fates ; Loved the music and there were some great maps in there, for Conquest in particular. Still, the overall gameplay was much weaker than Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn's. So were the stories, the world building, the characters, the writing, the artstyle (too many trashy pandering designs)... this game could've been much higher on this list since some of the Fire Emblem games are among my absolute favourites of all time.

9. Super Mario Run ; Perfect controls for a mobile game and there's so much depth in here

v3VPyPq.png

10. Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma ; It's Zero Escape at least, but it's a disappointment too. The story had some moments of brillance though, and I loved the puzzles, some were the best in the series. I haven't played Steins;Gate 0 yet and it probably would've made the list in lieu of this as it seems it was a much better sequel. But from the games I've played, this was still one of the decent ones overall, even though it was bad by the series' standards.

Honorable Mentions

x. Pokémon GO ; While the experience it gave me was stronger than even some games in my top 10, I simply can't list it because it's just not well designed. I set my expectations low for gameplay but it was even worse than I thought. Shallow gameplay made even shallower on Day 2 with the removal of tracking. Still, walking around town with family and friends, meeting new people, that renewed sense of community found in my neighbourhood, I just have to at least mention it for all it gave me.

x. No Man's Sky ; Similarly, I set my expectations low with this one. After seeing the expectations people had for this small team, I knew the blowback would be worse than Destiny. Still, the amount of shameless lies and the piss-poor communications between the devs and the fans (also applies to Pokémon GO's launch), that was just too much. I want to mention the game for its ambitions, for the feelings of wonder it did bring me at times, for its originality, for all it did actually deliver and the technical achievement they made, for the visuals and the beautiful screenshots I got to take, for the fun I've had learning the aliens' languages and doing the stuff tied to that (this was the best part of the actual game) and for the devs sticking with it and releasing a big update.

x. Inside ; Not done yet.

x. Super Hot ; As much an FPS as it is a puzzler, I loved the original spin found here.

Edit: I missed the fact Yakuza 5 came out in December last year. I'll think of something else.

Thewonandonly

1. Overwatch ; Holy shit! I have never been so addicted to a game in my life then I am to overwatch. I may get bored of a character but their is so many other characters that all play differently that I don't get bored of one. Do I want to flank behind and blast fools with my sawed off, or do I want to beat the shit out of people with a hammer. Honesly this game is a masterpiece and the best multiplayer game ever.

2. Uncharted 4 ; Most people say you need to play all the uncharteds to appreiciate it but that's false. I have only played 2 and parts of 3 and I was still blown away. What a fantastic story and the gun play is heavily improved. Really like this game and now I truley thing naughty dog are the best.

3. Dark Souls 3 ; While this may not be my favorite dark souls it's still fantastic. This has some of the best bosses in the whole series and that's what really gets it so high on the list. I play souls games for bosses and this one had plenty that left me with my jaw dropped.

4. Far Cry: Primal ; I really like the gameplay of this game. I also loved the envirment, they could have added more unique ice age creatures but they nailed the feel of that time. Also stealth is my favorite part of far cry and this game has perfect stealth with the eagle and the spears. Still need to beat it tho but it got a little repetitive.

5. Final Fantasy 15 ; Talking about repetitive this is the definition. There are so many boring tedious side mission that's I've slowed down on playing it. Fetch quest won't fly after the witcher 3. Enough being negative let's talk about the positives the creature design. Wow some of this designs blow my mind like that bird as big as a ship. The combat is really good to exspecially after I changed it to the triggers.

I'm going to finish my list later after I play dishonored and watch dogs. Preety sure this will be my top five tho

valeu

1. Rez Infinite ; This was the first game I played when I got my PSVR and I literally screamed with joy, “I’m in The Matrix!”. Since I was 13 and saw Tron, I've dreamed of being ‘in a video game’. This game delivers that.
2. Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End ; For me this is the best adventure game I’ve ever played - it had great characters, exotic locations, insane action, mystery. I felt like I was in a GOOD Steven Spielberg movie.
3. Bound ; In VR this game takes you into another dimension, created by what seems to be a brilliant mad graphic designer who is haunted by her parents'
divorce
. The camera may be a chore but it allows you for some incredibly cinematic views. The Beatles would like this - it’s a jaw-droppingly beautiful psychedelic platformer trip.
4. Thumper ; Again, in VR this game is insanely intense. You have to be so focused and one with it’s scary rhythm-racer world. Thrilling, scary, and satisfying. I was absolutely hooked.
5. Until Dawn: Rush of Blood ; I love roller coasters and haunted houses. Combine them in VR with tight dual-wielding guns, excellent pacing, and jump scares that cause you to scream out loud and scare your roommates, and this is a fave.
6. Volume ; Another one of those games made so much better by VR. I was kind of meh about it when I tried it originally on the TV, but in VR you really feel like a hacker as you manipulate the board in front of you like you’re Tom Cruise running a simulation in Minority Report.
7. Dishonored 2 ; Some of the levels in this game are among the best I’ve ever played (Clockwork Mansion). The art and detail are top notch and although most of the powers for me boiled down to being the same - just different ways to neutralize enemies - I had fun with the combat.
8. Enter The Gungeon ; This was my go-to couch co-op game all year. Really fun and hard.
9. Dungeon Warfare ; My one iOS game on the list. This is just a really good, really satisfying, tower defense game, where you set up traps in creative dungeons (one is like Crossy Road, for ex.) to stop what seems like a thousand enemies, and watch them get crushed, set on fire, and impaled in pixelly blood.
10. The Witness. Ok, I had to youtube-cheat through a lot of it. I'm not Mensa, sorry. But I was still amazed at the brilliance, creativity, and cohesiveness put into it from start to finish.

Honorable mention:
x. Don't Starve: Shipwrecked (iOS). (released Dec. 26th) I'd been hoping this would come to iPhone, and waited to play it, and my Christmas wish just came true. I sunk days into the first one on iOS (which is now also on Android). It's a perfect port. And although I've barely gotten into this new one, I know it's love. I mean Don't Starve with islands, boats, treasures, seamonsters?

Seeing a lot of variance in people's Top 5. This is going to be interesting to watch how it plays out. There isn't 1 or 2 games dominating the top 2 spots like we've seen in some years.

Also really surprised and happy to see a good amount of Gears 4 mentions. It seemed like that game came and went here on GAF but apparently a lot of people enjoyed it

Vertti

1. Ratchet & Clank ; never played the original or the PS3 games but loved 2 & 3 as a kid. Ratchet & Clank remake was all I could ask for. Great graphics, fun weapons, solid gameplay. Nothing too innovative but all around the best package of 2016.

2. Hyper Light Drifter ; could have been number one especially with the 60 fps update. Really fun combat, great world and fantastic soundtrack by the great Disasterpiece.

3. Doom ; perfect mixture of adrenaline pumping combat and fun secret hunting. I was grinning almost my whole playthrough. It was so much fun.

4. Uncharted 4 ; Gameplay wise not even in top 10 of 2016 but everything else was so well done that I was really impressed through the whole campaign.

5. Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE ; The battle system was so much fun that I had to keep playing even with some stupid desing choices.

6. The Witness ; clever as hell with some of my favourite puzzles of all time. Also looked so damn good. I wanna see more games with similar art style.

7. Dark Souls 3 ; too similar to DS1 and the level desing was a bit too linear. Otherwise I had really good time.

8. Gravity Rush Remastered ; Reminded me of PS2 generation. Too bad the combat was so simple and story pretty poor. Flying was really fun tho.

9. Owlboy ; Great pixel art but pretty bland level design.

10. Firewatch ; Really interesting but the ending could have been much better. Props for mentioning Toto Africa.

1. DOOM ; many people didn't liked MP open beta, but it hooked me and i was expecting to see good game at release date. But i was not prepared that it will be SO GOOD. Amazing singleplayer experience and great MP, played this game for almost 100 hours, have no regrets. It's not ideal unfortunately, because of this dumb season pass and looked behind DLCs MP achievements, but definitely best game i played in 2016.
2. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided ; while MD is not better that Human Revolution, it's still Deus Ex. Almost 5 year after release, nobody tried to copy Deus Ex formula, and this is disappointing since i would love to see more cyberpunk FPS/RPG hybrids. And even without lack of contenders, MD is still a great game that was undeservedly bashed by some people. After 50 hours i can't say that story was halfbacked or unfinished, it sure lacks some scale and epic feeling, but it was very atmospheric and interesting. I would love to come back to Deus Ex world again, and hope that Square Enix will greenlight at least one more game.
3. Rise of the Tomb Raider ; PC version, not perfect game, but gameplay was fun and graphically it is very impressive.
4. WASTED ; criminally underrated roguelike post-apocalyptic pub crawler. Hard to learn, but when you get basics, it's like a drug. And soundtrack is one of the best for this year, just listen this - Matthew Heath - Cry Baby
5. Forza Horizon 3

1. Inside ; Inside is a perfect game. Strangely, Inside is not normally a game that I would like. A "2.5D" scrolling puzzle-platformer. Gross. But I did like the art style from the preview coverage, so I gave it a try. Wow. Sometimes when numeric scores for games are being discussed, you will hear some people say (ridiculously) that "no game deserves a 10, because there are no perfect games." Well, even under that silly criteria, there is now a perfect 10 game - Inside. I cannot think of anything that would improve it. The art style, graphics, sound, movement, concepts, even the nature of the mysterious world are meticulously crafted and perfect to me. One of the best games ever created.

2. The Witness ; I enjoyed Braid, but always though Jonathan Blow was a little bit up his own ass as an 'auteur' and wouldn't be able to follow up on that modest success with The Witness. Boy, was I wrong. I haven't been as enthralled with a game in a long time. The puzzles used all of your senses and, like most people, had me making pages of drawings and cutting out Tetris pieces to make sense of the more difficult puzzles. Then the meta game of the nature of the island and the environmental puzzles kicked in and I was in love. I definitely won't underestimate Mr. Blow's next game.

3. Forza Horizon 3 ; I'm only really a casual racing game fan, but I will always be a hardcore Forza Horizon fan. With each entry, they expand the scope and add new concepts while keeping the core open-world fun intact. The best franchise on either console.

4. Titanfall 2 ; I'm done with slow-moving shooters like Battlefield and Call of Duty. Respawn has built on everything that made the first game great.

5. Civilization 6 ; Like with every Civ game, there are some issues with the vanilla release with balancing and some of the mechanics, but I love everything about the new visual look of the series and the expansion of the government styles and civics. I will definitely end up putting more hours in this game than just about any other.

6. Quantum Break ; I'm a huge Remedy fan and this game didn't change that. I really enjoyed the time-bending mechanics of the game and felt that the live-action video sections enhanced the world of the story quite a bit. There were certainly some performance issues, but not enough that I didn't play it twice on the PC and Xbox One.

7. The Witcher 3 - Blood and Wine ; More Witcher is always good, but to be honest I was a bit burnt out on the game after over 100 hours. This DLC was definitely high-quality though, and a fitting capper to one of the most content-rich games that have ever been created.

8. Doom ; Just bought this, but I have no doubt it deserves a spot on my top 10.

It's been a year of working through my backlog, so I didn't get a chance to get to Dark Souls 3, Hitman, or Gears 4 yet, but I'm sure they are good.

YaBish

1. Dishonored 2 ; Arkane took everything that worked with the first game, and polished it to a fine sheen. The ways to get through levels, the way that powers work together in interesting ways, and just the general player-empowerment puts this game over the top. Not to mention one of my favorite one-two punches in level design ever in levels 7 and 8. Like the first game, I can see myself coming back to this one for years to come.

2. Watch Dogs 2 ; In-progress, but this just gets beat out by Dishonored.

3. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided ; Something about a game where I can talk my way out of most confrontation appeals to me deeply.

4. Hitman ; Absolutely stellar level design begets one of the most enthralling stealth games in years. If Absolution was a misguided foray into cinematic Hitman, IO Interactive more than righted the ship with this release.

5. Uncharted 4 ; The graphics actually blew my mind. More than excited to see what Naughty Dog does next with TLOU.

6. Furi ; an Audio-Visual masterpiece that feels like a fever dream to play. The combination of SHMUP and timing based combat made it a joy to play. One of the few PS+ games I can recommend wholeheartedly to anyone looking for a challenge.

7. The Last Guardian ; In-progress
8. Doom ; In-progress
9. Mirror's Edge Catalyst ; In-progress
10. Titanfall 2 ; In-progress

My list is still subject to change, but I thought this was a great year for gaming for ALL genres. If you didn't find something to play this year, I don't know what you're doing.

1. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair ; Finally got around to playing these games thanks to the PC rerelease and they're already some of my favorite games of all time. I thought about which one should get the top spot, but despite the first game having my favorite character and a better sense of place I really do think 2 is the better game, which is rare for a sequel. The beginning of the game gives me pretty strong Majora's Mask vibes where everything is different but familiar enough to give you a weird sense of dread and I love the focus on characters who are just sort of losers and weirdos. Despite being basically a throwaway extra mode, I love Island Mode because it makes you think about how great everything would have been if Monokuma never showed up, which is pretty emotionally affecting. It's also one of the only games to ever make me cry, which is impressive considering how ridiculous the whole thing is.

2. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havok ; I imagine the PS4 versions of these two games will be high up in my list next year too. Hina is a super cool character and got me to start exercising more seriously again. And a decent amount of my exercise playlist comes from this soundtrack 🍩

3. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney- Spirit of Justice ; While it doesn't quite reach the highs of Trials and Tribulations, this is probably one of my favorite Ace Attorney games, and a definite improvement from Dual Destinies. I really liked Khura'in and the stuff they did with Apollo's storyline, even if I'm still kinda annoyed that they still have to shove Phoenix in there to get the game to sell (bring back Hobo Phoenix). I know I'm really enjoying a game when I end up shirking my social reponsibilities just so I can get a few more minutes (/hours) of play time in. I put this above Pokémon because it's just a much more emotionally fulfilling experience, there were a few times when this game gave me Danganronpa vibes.

4. Pokémon Sun ; This is pretty much my dream Pokémon game. Hoenn was previously my favorite region and Alola was basically the same but better. I really dug the story with Guzma and Hau and Kukui and the quality of life enhancements for things like EV training and HMs are super cool. I never even got into the competitive aspect and this is still already my most played Pokemon game ever, and also the only one where I filled in the Dex.

5. Dark Souls III ; This game was a breath of fresh air after Dark Souls II was a pile of shit, but it's not on the level of Dark Souls or Bloodborne. I'm gonna wait til all the DLC comes out to get back into it, but it was really fun playing and replaying the game to get the platinum trophy (except for those dumb ears). This is what Dark Souls II should have been.

6. Rhythm Heaven Megamix ; The story mode probably wasn't completely necessary, and I would have liked more new games, but it's still really good and I'm glad we're still getting Rhythm Heaven games.

7. The Witness ; This game is probably the best looking game I've played all year, and the excitement you feel when you finally discover a puzzle solution is something. I'm not big on all the quotes from famous scientists and that whole aspect to the game, it feels a little heavy handed.

8. Street Fighter V ; I love the way this game looks and plays and it was definitely one of my most played games of 2016, but I can't pretend that Capcom didn't completely drop the ball on this game in multiple aspects. I want a Super Street Fighter V.

x. Fire Emblem Fates ; This game has a lot of problems and I never finished it, but the maps and objectives are pretty fun and it was great for when I was working hospital night shifts and sitting with patients.

Basically, 3DS picked up a lot of slack on what would otherwise be a pretty mediocre year for consoles. I spent a lot of time catching up on DS and Vita games I've missed.

I know I already included them, but I hope the PC release of Danganronpa and Danganronpa 2 make them eligible :)

1. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; Ended the Series exactly how i wanted it too. Going to miss these characters and their hilarious banter so much. This game also probably has my favorite cutscene ever in a game.

2. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine ; Gigantic open world just oozing with sights to see and things to do. The main story kept me hooked as well. Gonna miss Geralt and company

3. Titanfall 2 ; Not a fan of the MP but the campaign is the best FPS campaign since MW1.

4. Gears of War 4 ; Campaign starts a little slow, about 25% of the way through it really picks up and never lets up. Horde mode has been really fun to play with my wife and friend.

5. Ratchet & Clank ; Absolutely beautiful and hilarious. Never played a RnC game before but this ensured i wont missed any to come.

6. Killing Floor 2 ; Put alot more time into than i thought i would. 1 trophy away from that damn platinum. Damn you Hell on earth!

7. Doom ; This game defines non stop action in gaming for me. Love the brutality

8. Forza Horizon 3 ; never wouldve voted for a racer before but i bought this when there was a pricing error, no regrets.

9. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered ; Same amazing campaign with updated graphics.

10. Bioshock: The Collection ; Same as #9.

Mr. Tibbs

1. Titanfall 2 ; This is a game with zero fat. Not only does this game have a best-in-class player movement system, the campaign offers so many completely unexpected, clever ideas and executes on them confidently that nothing over stays it's welcome. It's like a Shogo reboot with Valve-level polish.

2. Hitman ; The most engaging stealth sandbox I've ever experienced. I found it so enjoyable that calling it a return to form would be selling it short. It's the best game IO have ever made.

3. Mafia 3 ; New Bordeaux is a marvel. This late-’60s re-imagining of New Orleans offers one of the medium's strongest stories, an excellent crime story filled with vivid and entertaining characters that provoked all kinds of emotional responses. It's nice to see racism tackled without being an ill-conceived alien or robot allegory. It's also the first AAA title that's offers similar dynamic encounters since Clint Hocking's Far Cry 2 released nearly a decade ago: strapping bombs to your car to clear a check point, using a device to create a distraction and whip out everyone out with a single grenade, lead the Sal's men back to your hideout and watch the Mafia tear itself apart. It has some issues, but I don't think I'll ever not be okay with creatively killing racist mobsters.

4. Doom ; I thought this game was going to be an embarrassment to the series. Bethesda's incompetent marketing, which focused on the subpar multiplayer and Snapmap, proved they didn't know what they had. A power fantasy ride through hell and a surprisingly strong story. The levels mostly lent themselves to good exploration, but I'm the focus on combat arena's and waves detract from the experience for me. They need to get back to the maze and the monsters design philosophy. Still, a remarkable shooter, and the best Bethesda published game since New Vegas.

5. Tyranny ; We don't deserve Obsidian.

6. Superhot ; Such a fantastic, novel experience. Some of the goofy world-building was a little self-satisfied, but the mechanics were executed so well, and the game loves to drop you into so many outrageous set-ups that you're frequently reassured the team know what their games strengths are.

7. Devil Daggers ; By equal turns endlessly replayable and bloody frustrating, this is one of the few 'retro' inspired shooters that does something new with that aesthetic. Untouchable presentation.

8. Grim Dawn ; Crate Entertainment took their time but the wait was absolutely worth it. My favorite a-rpg ever.

9. Dark Souls 3 ; Not on par with Dark Souls, but still a very strong game.

10 Shadow Warrior 2 ; A Borderlands game with good combat! It's great to see Flying Wild Hog go from strength to strength.

sSmEi2y.png

1. The Last Guardian ; This game is very, very good until a very emotional point midway. From there until the end it's just something else on an entirely new level. The most surprising thing for me is how the game made me care. As the boy, I would often forget about self preservation and just try everything I could to help Trico. It's a powerful reminder that our life is about our adventures, sure, but it's also about sharing that journey with people (or pets) we love. Don't you ever leave this industry Ueda.

2DnvIdi.png

2. Forza Horizon 3 ; For months this was my GOTY and it took a very unique game to displace it from the top spot. Actually this might be a 1a and 1b kind of situation for me. Forza Horizon 3 is that good. In my book, it absolutely does for the racing genre what The Witcher 3 did for the WRPG genre. It looks great, it plays great and it's fun as fuck. Don't miss this one!

WOySLcg.png

3. DOOM ; YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS! RIP AND TEAR! Seriously, this game is fucking awesome and if you played it and didn't like it at all you should seriously consider a different hobby.

21al7a7.png

4. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine ; This expansion manages to add some very good content into my personal game of the generation. It's a very worthy farewell to one of the best characters in gaming. At least until he comes back as viking dad.

EDXJELJ.png

5. Ratchet & Clank ; While it doesn't quite hit the same peaks as DOOM, I feel this beautiful remake companion of sorts to the movie succeeds in the same idea to give the player an old school awesome gameplay rush. Insomniac is just a fucking great studio and I'll play anything by them.

AsR6OnV.png

6. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided ; Undone by a stupid marketing campaign, this game got a lot of bad rep, including from a fuckton of people who didn't play it, for its story. The issues are overblown IMO, I don't think it's as tone deaf at all as people make it out to be and while it's not great, it isn't very intrusive and doesn't get in the way of what is a mechanically sound and fun as fuck experience.

J5DVd0P.png

7. Paper Mario: Color Splash ; This one is closer to Sticker Star than it is to TTYD, but I'm one of those weirdos who loved SS and Color Splash manages to do its own thing. It's a beautiful game that summarizes the kind of year Nintendo had to me: underrated and very pleasing to its fans despite the wrong impressions of people just not watching closely.

LKQDCIv.png

8. Trackmania Turbo ; 90's arcade racers are awesome. Trackmania Turbo is an awesome 90's arcade racer kind of game that came out a bit too late to be big, but in due time for fans of the genre. It's a perfect mix between Trials and Daytona USA that controls as awesome as that sounds. Just great stuff!

otTtITF.png

9. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess HD ; I usually dislike remasters and really don't think I'm the target audience for them. However, Twilight Princess is the rare case where I didn't even know how much I wanted it. The game looks, feels and plays beautifully and it's the definitive way to play one of the best games of all time. Twilight Princess just flat out shines in this beautiful version.

aLqtpgq.png

10. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End ; This game looks, sounds, plays and looks (yes, again) amazing. The story is good, not great but good, and shooting shit is as fun as ever. Sadly, I feel like the game is held back by braindead moronic platforming that looks great but has no bite. I feel like this game is the ultimate rollercoaster of gaming: it looks great and will give you a nice adrenaline rush, but it's ultimately safe and nothing you haven't seen before. Still very good, just off the "great" tier.

Honorable Mentions
x. Carmageddon: Max Damage ; I love this series and this one is a great sequel to Carpocalypse Now.
x. No Man's Sky ; Flawed but unique and just a great experience. I do not regret buying at launch and I think this game got a bit shafted.
x. Star Fox Zero ; Another game I feel got sort of underrated this year. The fact that you can control it without motion controls and to me that makes it ever greater.

Jachaos

Seeing a lot of variance in people's Top 5. This is going to be interesting to watch how it plays out. There isn't 1 or 2 games dominating the top 2 spots like we've seen in some years.

Also really surprised and happy to see a good amount of Gears 4 mentions. It seemed like that game came and went here on GAF but apparently a lot of people enjoyed it

Yeah there's no clear heavy hitters like the past years it seems like. I personally found it pretty tough to make my list. I feel like there's so many games I've yet to play and I just don't have the time to. At least in the past I saw the same names come and go, but this year's had so much depth with so few clear-cut masterpieces that it's tough to know where to start.

danowat

Banned
Yeah there's no clear heavy hitters like the past years it seems like. I personally found it pretty tough to make my list. I feel like there's so many games I've yet to play and I just don't have the time to. At least in the past I saw the same names come and go, but this year's had so much depth with so few clear-cut masterpieces that it's tough to know where to start.
Yeah, that was also my biggest issue, I never even played most of the big hitters this year.
I started playing Mafia 3 yesterday and if I'd have started it at release it would probably be in my top 10 somewhere.

Top Bottom