• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen at $141 million of funding.

Forkball

I don't see how this game will be anything but disappointing. I'm not saying it will be bad, but people have unrealistic expectations, as they did for No Man's Sky. People want too much from these space sim type games. They want an expansive universe with seemingly infinite things to do. Guess what... making a whole universe is hard. All games, and people, have their limit. Just be fortunate if you get 20 hours of fun out of it.

Chumley

Banned
I don't see how this game will be anything but disappointing. I'm not saying it will be bad, but people have unrealistic expectations, as they did for No Man's Sky. People want too much from these space sim type games. They want an expansive universe with seemingly infinite things to do. Guess what... making a whole universe is hard. All games, and people, have their limit. Just be fortunate if you get 20 hours of fun out of it.

This is going to be NMS times 10. Mark my words. There are people spending upwards of $1000 on pre-release ships. It's baffling to watch unfold every year, there's a good reason why Giant Bomb mostly considers them laughable.

SnowTeeth

Banned
This is going to be NMS times 10. Mark my words. There are people spending upwards of $1000 on pre-release ships. It's baffling to watch unfold every year, there's a good reason why Giant Bomb mostly considers them laughable.

Well I'm totally convinced.

That list is fascinating. Vanilla World of Warcraft made on just 40 million, while Deadpool and APB cost 100 million? That's crazy.

Equally crazy are some of the dev/marketing ratios. MW2, dev cost 50M, marketing cost 200M. Then there are those that are crazy because of the opposite: The Old Republic, dev cost 200M, marketing cost 11M. One wonders if it could have done better with a bit more marketing.

There is a dedicated engine team working constantly with the engine and new tech.

So this is outdated?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAIAQDPSkiI
Constantly having to overhaul the visual assets and the engine work to be state of the art will have a serious impact on devolopment time, just throwing that in. And it will get worse and worse the longer development drags on.

In addition to the feature creep. And all the finished outsourced work from one, two or three years ago they are doing all over again themselves. At one point they will have to start to lock things down content wise.

zoozilla

People keep bringing up GTA V, but I bet if we were able to keep tabs on that game's development from the very beginning there would be multiple points where we'd go "shit, this is getting out of hand. Will this game ever come out?"

See the "get me the Benz" stuff. If we could see that stuff unfold in real-time, I bet the development of GTA V would look way more fraught than Star Citizen.

People keep bringing up GTA V, but I bet if we were able to keep tabs on that game's development from the very beginning there would be multiple points where we'd go "shit, this is getting out of hand. Will this game ever come out?"

See the "get me the Benz" stuff. If we could see that stuff unfold in real-time, I bet the development of GTA V would look way more fraught than Star Citizen.

But they made GTA 4 before that so you know they are capable of delivering.

valkyre

Looking forward to the Thread "SC reaches 200 million in crowd funding, will feature scooba diving in planets, inter galactic formula 1 championship, an entire "so you think you can dance" contest and cooking lessons by Jamie Oliver."

Release date: TBD 2025 but you can play beta cooking contest tho

Lothars

I love Giant Bomb but your post is not convincing anyone other than you looking forward to it failing. The game will be fine. I really don't get the hate it's been getting but it really does make me shake my head.

I also haven't seen an convincing argument on why they are going to fail and the game is going to be crap, I've seen arguments from people that shouldn't be believed like derek smart but so far I would like to see an actual argument on why it's going to fail.

Peroroncino

This is gonna crash and burn hard, mark my words.

Of course I'd like to be wrong, but if they didn't make an outstanding game already with this kind of paper, it's only gonna get worse over time with constantly diminishing budget, because the interest is fading along with donations.

As for me, I'm gonna probably buy Elite: Dangerous and have my fill there.

Llyranor

I had 425$ on this game, but elected to get a refund last fall. Maybe the game will end up good, in which case I'll gladly buy it, but I don't have enough faith in it in its present state to gamble with that much money.

Ganrob

Neo Member
There is a dedicated engine team working constantly with the engine and new tech.

So this is outdated?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAIAQDPSkiI

No it certainly isn't outdated. I really do think it looks pretty good. But at the same time, when the first images/videos were shown I found it quite impressive, but their competition has caught up with them now/in the process of doing so.

In the end this type of game won't live on the visuals though I think.

Maledict

I love Giant Bomb but your post is not convincing anyone other than you looking forward to it failing. The game will be fine. I really don't get the hate it's been getting but it really does make me shake my head.

I also haven't seen an convincing argument on why they are going to fail and the game is going to be crap, I've seen arguments from people that shouldn't be believed like derek smart but so far I would like to see an actual argument on why it's going to fail.

Because some of what they are trying to do is literally impossible. There are reasons no-one has ever attempted what they are doing before, and it's not because he's some grand visionary and everyone else is stuck in the mud.

Because Chris Roberts hasn't successfully launched a game without someone else intervening and bailing him out in decades.

Because the model they are using to fund their game looks like a scam operation, and the clear focus they have on selling ships over anything else is a warning sign.

Because they have slipped release and info deadlines constantly, often without warning.

Because they are more obsessed with mo-capping expensive actors lip syncing than they are showing us an actual interesting, functioning game.

Outrun

There are lots of causes of concern though,the most obvious is the failure of CIG to hit the dates that they themselves have set.

Their solution now is not to set any dates. If we have joined today, that may be acceptable. If you joined in 2013, there may be a disconnect between what Roberts says today, and what he stated a couple of years back...

CIG states that they have enough money to complete the project. They need to start delivering soon. I don't consider 2.6 to be proof of time and resources well spent. The new hope now is that 3.0 (which should have been out end of 2016) will be the update that shows this project coming together.

I will believe it when I see it, and not a moment before.

As fans are literally setting the budget and ambition of the game with their support, the only way to see this released is to convince each other to stop pumping money into it.

Looking forward to the Thread "SC reaches 200 million in crowd funding, will feature scooba diving in planets, inter galactic formula 1 championship, an entire "so you think you can dance" contest and cooking lessons by Jamie Oliver."

Release date: TBD 2025 but you can play beta cooking contest tho

The game already has this planned LOL, and the ability to train in alien martial arts, mix drinks using fluid simulations, teach aliens cultural concepts, a player run arbitration guild to settle organisation disputes, and a full career as a Sports Star in the scifi universe.

None of this with a single line of code written of course, it's really hard to parody because they'll have thought of the most ludicrous stuff before you.

Spuck-uk

Banned
SC has tech that is lightyears away from every other studio, and innovating in ways that make Naughty Dog look like they are streets behind.

Quoting this so I can return every few months for a hearty chuckle.

This amazing tech being a butchered reworking of Cryengine?

The game already has this planned LOL, and the ability to train in alien martial arts, mix drinks using fluid simulations, teach aliens cultural concepts, a player run arbitration guild to settle organisation disputes, and a full career as a Sports Star in the scifi universe.

None of this with a single line of code written of course, it's really hard to parody because they'll have thought of the most ludicrous stuff before you.
Oh my, things do look more dire than I imagined when it comes to feature creep. It is really turning into a self running parody by now. Release in 2025 it is then.

Vash63

The anti-CIG circle jerk is so strong here, it's insane. It's like you guys refuse to even acknowledge the possibility that they're actually making a game or that their timelines aren't that unusual for a big AAA title.

After they just put out their biggest content release to date with 2.6, have 3.0 upcoming and show no signs of stopping or slowing down. If anything development has been looking better and better since Erin Roberts took over.

DNAbro

I literally can't tell if you are joking

Quoting this so I can return every few months for a hearty chuckle.

This amazing tech being a butchered reworking of Cryengine?

That is so insulting to the hard work of engineers having to create solutions to things on a rendering level or interactivity / scale level that 99% of other games never even have to consider (physics grids, zone system, 1st person / 3rd person, etc.). Heck, even MJP of ReadyAtDawn fame (as part of a team that made one of the best looking games out there) referenced the way Star Citizen does ship damage as an inspiration for future advances in their engine.

Spuck-uk

Banned
The anti-CIG circle jerk is so strong here, it's insane. It's like you guys refuse to even acknowledge the possibility that they're actually making a game or that their timelines aren't that unusual for a big AAA title.

After they just put out their biggest content release to date with 2.6, have 3.0 upcoming and show no signs of stopping or slowing down. If anything development has been looking better and better since Erin Roberts took over.

Nothing they have put out comes close to being finished, and what little there is, is disappointing. They have no track record to suggest they're capable of delivering what they've promised, and what they've promised is so bloated it's doubtful that t's even possible.

Outside of the SC subreddit, I think you'll find this is a fairly common opinion.

Ethelwulf

Hope it gets fully released someday. That is a crazy amount of money. Where does it go? Marketing? Or this is just for development?

Spuck-uk

Banned
That is so insulting to the hard work of engineers having to create solutions to things on a rendering level or interactivity / scale level that 99% of other games never even have to consider (physics grids, zone system, 1st person / 3rd person, etc.). Heck, even MJP of ReadyAtDawn fame (as part of a team one of the best looking games out there) referenced the way Star Citizen does ship damage as an inspiration for future advances in their engine.

This is the ship damage that doesn't actually exist in-game, yes?

That they based a massive scale game off an engine entirely unsuited for it because it made things look pretty does tell you a lot about their ambition versus their competence.

Vash63

That they based a massive scale game off an engine entirely unsuited for it because it made things look pretty does tell you a lot about their ambition versus their competence.

Good point, they should've used an engine suited for ground level FPS scaled up to full solar systems in a single map, with full physics simulation on the interior of moving vehicles.

Care to name such an engine?

Llyranor

Meanwhile they haven't even been able to show a single basic mission of Squadron 42. Which had its initial release date set as 2014.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Good point, they should've used an engine suited for ground level FPS scaled up to full solar systems in a single map, with full physics simulation on the interior of moving vehicles.

Care to name such an engine?

They should have taken one look at the scale of what they promised, and realised there wasn't an engine capable of creating this game, and built their own with appropriate supporting middleware, yes, agreed.

Except they didn't, they went 'yup, Crysis is pretty'.

To clarify, I'd love this game to even do half of what it's promise, within anything resembling a timescale before it DNF's and other games overtake it visually. But based on experience, and what I've been told from friends working at 'RSI', that just isn't going to happen.

faridmon

What a stupid comment.

If anything, this game is the Anti-NMS where the devs have made their fans updated from the start and the ones who are invested in it know exactly where their money is going and what they are getting out of it.

Effect

But Chris Roberts made Freelancer!*

*By 'made', I mean 'bungled development so badly that he had the project taken off him by Microsoft. '

It drives me up the f'n wall how many people are willing to ignore that bit of history. I enjoyed Freelancer a lot but looking at that game's development I never would have gotten to play it had he not been removed and the game taken away from him. That's after delays and him running out of money (I think he had to get additional funding around this time and still ran out of that) and having to sell his company and game to Microsoft to keep development going.

There is really is nothing in Robert's history that suggest he's a good manager of anything be it from projects to money. Weren't pretty much all the Wing Commander games he worked on delayed and over budget and that's with him not even ultimately being in charge of the studios or management just the development team.

Now I will admit I like some if not many of his ideas. It's the primary reason I enjoyed the Wing Commander games I played and Freelancer. I think that's just it though. I think he's a ideas man and it should be up to other people to implement those ideas without him directing the details of how those ideas get brought to life. He needs someone else with control of the money to tell him no. Some people need that check on them even if they believe they don't. I firmly believe this is why past games, with their problems, eventually came out. The bad management on his part was already there and with the the check and balance removed we have the current situation since he's now at the top with a revenue source that is stopping a repeat of Freelancer where he has to go to another company or see it all die.

Vash63

They should have taken one look at the scale of what they promised, and realised there wasn't an engine capable of creating this game, and built their own with appropriate supporting middleware, yes, agreed.

To clarify, I'd love this game to even do half of what it's promise, within anything resembling a timescale before it DNF's and other games overtake it visually. But based on experience, and what I've been told from friends working at 'RSI', that just isn't going to happen.

The game's original budget was under 30 million and wasn't planning all the seamless transitions between planets and space. On top of budget concerns, building a new from scratch engine would've added even more years to their timeline.

~Cross~

What a stupid comment.

If anything, this game is the Anti-NMS where the devs have made their fans updated from the start and the ones who are invested in it know exactly where their money is going and what they are getting out of it.

I dont know where the fuck MY money has gotten into and I wish I did like Roberts initially promised people that funded them during that period. I genuinely want them to follow up on their promise to audit the company after delaying the game for this long. It would eradicate any distrust I have in their management if their books show they have 80m+ left in the bank to finance at least the next 2 years of development that would represent the bare minimum needed to release the title.

shootfast

You know nothing is appropriate response here. Ben Parry who worked on Elite dangerous and now working on star citizen went through all the options rsi had to make star citizen. https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6644630/#Comment_6644630 read it!

With the disclaimer that I've never worked on a team that built an engine from scratch, it would probably have been a terrible idea. Certainly if you'd wanted the current scope, but even suppose you reined it in to something much more restrictive consider how much wouldn't have been possible to even start for months or years of work.
Random example, there's a lot of talk about gutting the network serialisation to make it better, but working from scratch would just mean no network at all until that kind of work had been done. Worse, you'd probably have to build a rough-cut version of it first just so you could get people moving on the systems that had to talk to it. Along with that, no editor, no designer whiteboxing, no ability for artists to see what their work would look like in-game, or any really honest estimates of its performance.

Maledict

What a stupid comment.

Hahah, no they dont. What ridiculous nonsense.

They have missed every single release date they have given. A game that was supposed to be out 3 years ago still hasn't had a single bit of gameplay shown for it. Meanwhile, despite promising no more feature creep people are still being hit up for new ships money in an incredibly aggressive way that makes it seem like the main point of RSI is selling spaceships.

The idea that RSI has been really transparent and everyone knows where the money is going is objectively false. We don't have a clue where the money has gone because nothing they have shown off comes close to justifying that amount of cash, and theyve consistently missed their own deadlines for literally years.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

My disappointment is kind of in the opposite direction; I am not super interested in a lot of secondary/tertiary features that are being added. They look to be well executed and all that, but I kind of just want a freelancer-y space sim where I can fly around like Han Solo, selling shit and getting into space battles and getting that sweet cash to buy new ships and bigger guns.

I don't really regret contributing to SC, but I probably would have been better off just buying Elite Dangerous based on what I am looking for.

KKRT00

What are you talking about? Ship damage was implemented like almost year ago to live builds, every ship uses it now.
Damage states also work, i had my engines blow up or damaged, parts of my ships flying away which made me way harder or impossible to control etc.

Have you even played it?

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Disaster of a project.

Feel sorry for all those that put their money in and will have to be mentally excusing all the incredible jank for the products lifetime.

Fuchsdh

Oh my, things do look more dire than I imagined when it comes to feature creep. It is really turning into a self running parody by now. Release in 2025 it is then.

You would have thought the entire gaming industry would have learned about this kind of hubris with the giant walking example that was and is Duke Nukem Forever. If they'd delivered half of what they'd planned we'd have gotten the game eight years earlier and it probably would have been ground-breaking for its time.

Instead we got a terribly anachronistic game no one really liked, all because 3D Realms had more money than sense.

With that said, the date it "actually" releases doesn't mean much in this era of software development. It could be a good game at version 0.0.2 even if it doesn't have all the bells and whistles. Hell I've been using pieces of software for a decade that just got to 1.0 and that didn't matter to me at all. Will be interesting to see if SC ends up making a definitive "this will be enough for 1.0 feature complete, the rest will come later" decision at some point.

Grief.exe

Disaster of a project.

Feel sorry for all those that put their money in and will have to be mentally excusing all the incredible jank for the products lifetime.

Posts like this are embarrassing tbh.

Either you aren't following the progress, don't understand game development, or both.

There are places to be critical of RSI, but "disaster of a project" is far from an informed conclusion.

I might as well post the not-even-complete list of stuff still to do in every SC thread to warn people off:

Star Marine/On Foot Combat
  • Gadgets - a quick barricade, a hologram that creates a 3D version of yourself, med kits, an energy grapple gun
  • There's a big gun in Star Marine, a cluster bomb that gets fired from a launcher
  • Shoulder carried railgun for anti-ship attacks
  • Energy riot shields will be in the game
  • We will be able to wear backpacks to increase storage capacity, but this might inhibit other things.
  • Shoulder patch character customization in Star Marine
  • Co-op will be in Star Marine.
  • They may do weapon skins, as long as they're not stupid.
  • Have basic melee, but can also train in alien martial arts at a Tevarin dojo.
  • You will be able to engage in combat on lawless landing zones

FPS Stances and Breathing
  • Three stances, lowered, ready and ADS
  • Stamina System, consumed by sprinting, vaulting, mounting, climbing and holding breath
  • Armour increases stamina drain rate, low stamina increases weapon sway
  • Fire is most accurate at top and bottom of each breath.
  • Weapon sway also dictated by the weapons and their attachments
  • FPS dungeons/instances are a core part of the PvE FPS gameplay mechanic we're designing for the PU. Something like taking a five man FPS team into a Vanduul mining station or arms factory and either steathing or killing everything that moves on your way to the objective? Yes.

Persistent Universe
  • 100 Star Systems
  • Linux support has been announced. CryEngine supports it, and so can SC. If CryEngine ever supports Mac, then so would Star Citizen.
  • Track IR support
  • At least one waterworld in the PU
  • There may be missions in the PU exclusive to those who completed Squadron 42 (The Vanduul have invaded Vega... help!)
  • Voice acting in PU with subtitles as a backup.
  • There are a bunch of ‘world changing' events that they have planned for the PU, but they're not going to take any officially yet. It's too early yet.
  • Organization system will form the basis for the faction system.
  • Organizations will be both player and NPC-run. Smal factions like your friends, organization, and allies, big organizations like the UEE, Banu, Xi'An, and Vanduul
  • There will be shifting alliances. If you choose to be a friend to the Xi'An for example, the Banu and Vanduul will both be displeased with you.
  • Cool plans for streaming tech (streaming the game) to come down the line.
  • Secret military bases in the PU? Yes.
  • You need to log out in a bed
  • Hyper Vanguard Force might be in the game. They've talked about having all the mini games in the final game somewhere.
  • Pirate, smuggler, drug runner, hacker, militant, terrorist... bad dudes you can be.
  • Missions won't necessarily be stand-alone, some will interlink, or drive into other ones.
  • We've got an awesome NPC/Boss-NPC system, if anyone has player Shadow of Mordor and liked their nemesis system, this takes it another level beyond that, it'll add a much more personal level of interaction, your actions will effect those NPCs and those around you etc. Plus, global ones that affect all the players, so some pirate that might be your nemesis could gain enough infamy that he becomes the pirate lord in that system, where all players can go after him. We've got a really cool system worked out for all of that, blending into the economy.
  • Some Jump points might be dangerous or dynamic
  • You can share star map locations
  • In fiction live team reporting on in-game events from spaceship news vans

Organisations

• There will be player influenced politics
  • There will be a player arbitration guild for settling organisation disputes and drama
  • Organisations can be corporations, PMCs, Cults, Syndicates, or Misc
  • Organisations have internal ranks

MobiGlas
  • Can be damaged, will glitch out
  • Can project onto nearby walls, can interface with things in the environment that have TAGs
  • There will be a military variant of the mobiGlas
  • Backers get an explorer class Mobiglas rig
  • Can automate cargo loading through MobiGlas
  • mobiGlas will have socket for different modules
  • A module may enable you to scan other players, or detect when they're scanning you
  • SkyLine app wouuld allow them to store personal information on top of the map

Permadeath
  • If you eject, you live, if you don't, you lose a life.
  • Each character has a number of deaths they can be revived from
  • Characters will bear scars from deaths
  • Characters can extend their number of lives with missions and money
  • Lose all of your lives and you must roll up a new one
  • You cannot buy game-character slots with in-game credits. That's something you'll have to buy with money outside of the game.
  • Character creation is in-world, first character is in a bathroom, second at a funeral for the first
  • You can sign up with the UEE Navy or head out as a civilian
  • Players have basic insurance for their possessions
  • Systems will be in place to prevent insurance fraud.
  • There's a system for the insurance, they'll never have you pay for something and then take it away from you.
  • Players can take out loans to buy more stuff
  • You can use simulators to practice combat with no financial penalty or risk
  • Reputation and faction alliances pass on to your new character, but slightly diminished
  • Possessions can be passed onto the new character
  • If you disconnect you autopilot
  • Shooting ejection pods or ejected players in space has a big penalty
  • Ship modules will decrease chances of life-loss with better ejection systems and automation
  • You can be captured and sold into slavery with consequences, this does not count as a deaths
  • Characters aging: It will likely be done, however, it is not a priority for the initial launch as it will happen so slowly.
  • You can also allow a character to retire.
  • You will be able to "Agent Smith" and possess NPCs to play with your friends

Healing Your Spacemen
  • 10 areas of the body can be damaged in four different states
  • Damage is visual, also can be determined through diagnostics
  • Limb damage reduces weapon handling and movement
  • Hard to instantly kill a player, they get downed and can be revived
  • Can be dragged by other players, or drag yourself
  • Healing in the field is limited, you can't be restored to full health
  • Need to travel to a medical bay to be fully healed
  • Some ships have medical bays that work like stations with medical bays
  • Players can respawn in any medical bay, including ships medical bays
  • You can bleed out
  • Medical profession, like all professions, is something that you can be skilled at and get better at, not just push a button and done.

Player Character
  • Female character model
  • At least ten different facial structures to choose from per sex
  • Characters can lose limbs and replace them with cybernetic ones
  • Medical procedures can get you transplants if you don't like the aesthetics and are prepared to pay
  • Clothing system will allow top hats
  • All clothing customization options will have an impact on your character.
  • Food/Sleep/Showering will affect the player in a fun way. Lack of showering might affect player interactions/appearance, or lack of food/sleep might weaken the player a little.
  • There will be augments that grant skills or performance enhancers.
  • Play as an alien race (long term)

NPCS
  • NPCs will be unique and can also perma-die
  • Lots of NPCs variety required, at least ten types with both sexes
  • PU NPCs are "highly interactive"
  • NPCs will react to you based on your appearance, clothing or ship
  • Aliens speak their own languages

Pets
  • Pets will have robust health & damage models, in the way that the humans are going to have. Pets will have a fair amount of detail in terms of animation, their AI.

Character Interaction with Gameworld
  • You can pick up items with grabby hands, features animations of you picking them up
  • You can put down items again
  • You can rotate items that you are holding
  • Two handed items are re-oriented automatically
  • You can throw and flip items like in Elder Scrolls, flipping coins
  • You can USE items by double-tapping
  • You can perform vandalism and tagging

Ships and Ship Systems

• You will be able to paint ships.
  • You will be able to rent ships.
  • You will be able to buy ships with immersive purchases, such as talking to a salesman and signing a deal
  • Purchasing ships/ship components with ingame currency
  • Ship/component/cargo insurance
  • Ships should be able to dock to each other
  • Panel Access to Components/Internal Repair
  • Component Tweaking/Tuning/Overclocking/Testing
  • Ship locking / access control
  • Ship hacking / forced boarding / component disabling
  • CPU Resource System
  • Working escape Pods/Vehicles
  • Xi'An Volper bomber will be in the game.
  • Vanduul Bomber will be in the game.
  • More Banu ships will be in the game.
  • Many promised ships such as the Banu Merchantman, 890 Jump, etc
  • Flying an alien ship, will affect your standing with that race.
  • Pilots can bulkheads/depressurise in their ships as a means to make boarding attempts more difficult.
  • There will likely be some sort of in-universe way to tell how far/long your ship has run.
  • Ships will be able to attach and detach parasite craft
  • Ships like the Retaliator will be able to fit different internal modules
  • Ships like the Endeavour will be able to store ships in internal landing bays
  • We're still missing the Idris, Polaris, Javelin, Bengal and other capital ship categories that were in the Kickstarter
  • Capital ships have a command and control system, where they can relay data and targets to other players on their team
  • Larger ships will need shuttles to land on planets
  • Some ships will have fishtanks onboard

Multicrew

• Larger ships will have crew stations for different activities
  • Crew stations can be crewed by other players or NPCs
  • Communications is a multicrew station, can communicate with other ships
  • There will be short range voice communication between player ships
  • Can send information like cargo manifests or docking requests based on modules fitted
  • Scanning is multicrew function, depends on array installed
  • Avionics is a multicrew function, can prioritise systems such as ITTS or missile lock to reduce lock on time
  • Power Management is a multicrew function
  • Navigation is a multicrew function
  • All users can see ship stats and overlays over a ship model for damage, heat, power and EM sig, with filters
  • Multicrew stations have presets that can be renamed
  • Multicrew stations will log player chat, critical information and server information
  • Multicrew stations can recieve notifications from other players
  • NPCs can crew stations on your ship, but not as well as players
  • NPCs can be assigned to stations manually
  • NPCs will have their own skills that determine their effectiveness at their jobs

Electronic Warfare
  • Ships will have many types of signature: cross section, electromagnetic and Infrared
  • Reducing your signature below a certain level is illegal, like driving at night with headlights off
  • Ships have a unique signature like reg tags
  • Players will be able to scan their surroundings either passively or actively.
  • There will be multiple states for signature detection, including fuzzy contacts
  • There will be multiple EWAR methods available and multiple types of ESM
  • EMP will shut down a target completely, requiring a reboot
  • Signal Intercept is mostly passive, allows you to reroute or scramble communications, can change tracked targets, or interfere with radar and scanners
  • Dataspike missiles allow you to hack in and shut down components like engines, weapons, shields and cooling
  • Distortion reduces power flow to components, will repair over time
  • Modules like ship-mounted antenna systems and custom avionics modules can improve function of EWAR
  • Heat chaff are countermeasures for IR tracking.
  • EM flares are countermeasures for EM tracking.
  • Data chaff are countermeasures for hacking or spoofing
  • Decoy missiles can act as a ship by spooking a tag, but not the cross section
  • You can get ship shields with scan shielding
  • There is a dedicated scan shield component
  • Hulls can be modified to be scan shielded

Ship Repair and Maintenance

• You have a repair arm and a task manager
  • You can bring up diagnostics including damage area
  • Repairs require materials to be socketed for repair quantity and speed
  • Repair is a multi-stage process, first you must strip the damaged area, then spray over it to reach 100% on each area, this affects quality
  • You also have a personal multitool that does the same thing
  • Subcomponents can be repairs by turning the component off, swapping out a subcomponent, and turning it back on.
  • Repair ships can take damaged ships aboard [presumably only if they fit of course] and jump away to safety, if needed.
  • Miller ERS (External Repair Structure )can be locked together to create a scaffolding around a ship as a portable orbital drydock
  • There will be repair drones
  • Backers get a Class I Repair Bot
  • You can EVA to perform ship repair
  • The Crucible will be able to repair fighters

Shields and Management
  • Can allocate power to different shield faces
  • Multicrew shield management has five presets
  • Can allocate priority between Recovery, Regeneration and Max HP
  • Can reinforce shield segments and boost recharge
  • Can prioritise shield segments for recharge

Engineering: Ship Components

• Ships can reduce their signature for stealth
  • Ships can have hull breaches for boarding
  • Items have varying quality
  • Ship also has CPU as limitation like in Eve
  • Parts have durability and can be damaged
  • Parts can be performance tuned
  • Higher performance at cost of higher wear and tear, or risk of burning component out
  • Testing, overclocking equipment in a hangar
  • There can be illegal components
  • Parts connect via pipes, need supply of resources to function, these pipes can be damaged
  • You can melt modules for raw components
  • Backers get an engine tuning kit
  • Engines can be tuned to racing level

Economy
  • Economic Background sim that represents millions of agents
  • No fixed prices, everything is supply and demand
  • Industry is represent by thousands of nodes, representing refineries and factories
  • Nodes are NPC run, players can purchase them
  • Some nodes are atomic, others are agglomerations, i.e. a business may represent multiple nodes
  • Node types: Population, Training, Entertainment, Repair, Raw Materials, Refinery, Manufacturing, Advanced Manufacturing, Component Manufacturing, Assembly Line, Reseller, Transport, Communications
  • Manufactured goods are not unlimited
  • Manufactured goods need to be shipped around manually by NPCs or players
  • Production is realtime and can take a long time, an Idris takes a month.
  • Background simulation spawns missions for players, especially in emergencies
  • Nodes away from civilised space request goods less frequently
  • There is a job or contract system
  • You can run your own business

Cargo and Trade Design Document

• Containers have cargo unit capacity and fixing points
  • Cargo containers are standardised sizes and interchangeable
  • Cargo containers will be armoured
  • Players will be able to stowaway in cargo containers
  • Cargo containers can be scanned on foot
  • Cargo containers can be booby trapped
  • Heavily armoured containers can transport less
  • Pallets can be loaded to move multiple containers at once
  • Cargo is stored in a stasis grid as long as there is power
  • There will be a Space Craigslist for player trading.
  • Long term you might be able to open a storefront.
  • Space globes will be purchasable and tradable.
  • Inertia on objects not anchored on ships
  • Tractor beams and EVA for picking up cargo from space
  • Cargo containers can be opened in space
  • Smaller fighters can be de-assmebled and transported in parts as cargo
  • There will be trade lane and cargo software, which will be more in depth on larger freighters

Smuggling
  • For smuggling, you need to know what types of scanners you have to protect against and buy/install the appropriate components to mask your illicit goods.
  • In order to smuggle past the planetside cargo scan you will need electronic countermeasures to set off a false cargo manifest.

Mining Gameplay
  • Trade and Development Division is the commodities marketplace
  • Miners can work freelance or get a fixed price as an agent for a cut of their cargo
  • Pioneer career uses long range sensors to prospect
  • Prospecting information can be sold to information brokers
  • Organisations may automatically share private discoveries between themselves
  • Mining roles - Pilot, Scan Operator, Beam Operator, Cargo Operator, Refinery Operator
  • Scan Operator injects sampling missiles by scanning the asteroid for an injection point
  • Missiles are manually controlled, can scatter, skilled operators can barely scan and still hit
  • Beam operator controls voltage to sculpt big or small, can explode the asteroid at full power
  • Too much power creates seismic tremors that can blow things up in the asteroid
  • You can see materials quantity around the mining beam
  • Cargo dude scans fragments that come off, direct them into the crusher with a tractor beam
  • Has to balance attractive and resistive force to avoid breaking up fragments
  • Refinery operator channels different ores between different processors like Cook/Serve/Delicious
  • You can continue mining while not at the controls
  • You can jettison ore containers to drop the mass and increase speed
  • You can jettison ore containers to be picked up by others
  • There will be different mining lasers with some better at boring holes, or mining lighter/denser materials

Salvage Gameplay

• You can explore ship wrecks
  • Most wrecks will not explode, so they can be salvaged
  • When you find a ship you want to salvage you can either go over to it and pick the parts you want off of it, or you can just turn the whole thing into scrap.
  • There will be a manned cutter which you can use in EVA to explore ship interiors

Refuelling Gameplay
  • Refuelling is a multicrew function
  • Players can choose which fuel tank is being refuelled
  • Ship to ship refueling, with manual and automatic options.
  • Refuelling can be done when stationary or in flight
  • You can haul fuel as well as cargo pods
  • You can refuel from your fuel pods
  • You can refuel from gas giants with a gas refinery

Passenger Transport Career
  • You need a passenger license with a recurring fee to carry passengers
  • You need a passenger starship, which comes in four different comfort classes
  • Players can publish flights with arrival and departure times and ticket prices
  • You can fly for NPC corporation flight lines
  • Pilots will be able to fly directly or plot a course for the ship to follow
  • Pilot recieves real-time feedback as to how many tickets have been sold
  • Pilots have a reputation, like Uber, poor reputation can lead to your license being revoked
  • Pilots can adjust pricing on passenger seats
  • You have to keep passengers happy by serving drinks
  • You have to keep passengers happy by repairing entertainment console server blades
  • You have to keep passengers happy by treating them if they have heart attacks
  • You need flight attendants for more than 30 people
  • You can carry NPC passengers or players
  • The pilot must give an all-clear signal to disembark
  • You can emergency land at a different destination and force people to get off
  • You can control passenger entertainment from screens in the cockpit
  • You will be able to modify the internals of the ship with a holoviewer style interface
  • Passengers will be security scanned when boarding

Bounty Hunting
  • You need to be licensed at a bounty hunters guild
  • Bounty Hunters guild has a ranking system
  • Warning if you fire on a citizen, bounty on your head if it keeps happening
  • Bounties don't fade away, are valid in all systems
  • UEE pays out the bounties
  • Insurance may be suspended on those with bounties
  • Murder is more important than destruction of property
  • Players can assign bounties on other players
  • Multiple bouunty types: tracking, capture and kill
  • There will be a "most wanted" list of criminals
  • Players with bounties will need to be scanned first
  • You can be jailed, and skip the sentence
  • Possibility of jail-break missions
  • There are in-game news feeds where freelance job postings will be listed
  • You have reputation as a bounty hunters
  • Bad reputation will only be reported against you if there are witnesses
  • Bank records are traceable in financial crimes
  • Bounties can be tracked by "red-tag-flag" signatures
  • Bounty Hunters will have varying reaction from NPCs depending on location

Science Career
  • Can grow plant life and harvest for profit
  • Plants require soil, seeds, water and fertiliser
  • Farming is labour intensive and requires attention to detail
  • Can choose lighting and radiation for your plants, as well as temperature
  • No irrigation or fertiliser automation, industrialisation what?
  • Each species is a puzzle
  • Some species are cosmetic, like tulips
  • Exotic species are harder to grow and more valuable
  • Space telescope can scan the heavens in any part of the EM spectrum
  • Can also fire off long-range scanning probes
  • Can scan down comets, asteroid fields, derelict ships or stellar phenomena
  • Select an area of the sky and slowly scan for anomalies
  • Can increase scan resolution by zooming in once you have detected something
  • Scanning creates a nav marker you can travel to
  • Supercollider modules will allow overclocking of components

Oh, and they're actually building two games, and this is only one of them, and they're doing this with a dev team half the size of the one building Destiny 2, a much smaller less ambitious game.

Also they thought the other game, SQ42, the one with all the celebrity actors, could be built for only $6 million dollars at a time when AAA games were costing $60 million, and in fact thought $6 million was such a huge amount they could build a whole MMO more ambitious than any MMO ever as a stretch goal without expanding the budget at all!

Outrun

Keep up with the strawman arguments.

CIG and Roberts set schedules that they themselves fail to meet, and you are blaming those that took him at his word...

Once again, 3.0 was supposed to be out end of 2016. It is late, and CIG are not giving any dates now.

Top Bottom