• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The most insane detail you have seen in a game

Tecnniqe

Banned
AC Unity interiors...nothing has topped the amount of details they put into the era.

Ubisoft is actually pretty good when it comes to making environment but got issues in the gameplay loop department.

The Division, especially during Survival, is a prime example of this.

antibolo

Banned
Platinum has a blog post detailing the angelic writing on Sapientia, one of the bosses in Bayonetta. The "no step" on the wings gets me, since there's no way you'd ever be able to see that in the actual game.

Bayonetta in general has a lot of angelic / demonic writing on stuff, and all of it translates into something. Even the ones that just appear briefly, like the angelic / demonic magic circles. The witches' Umbrian Watches also have their names and birth dates inscribed on them.

Also, this might be commonly known, but all of the angelic / demonic language in the games is actually Enochian, which is an invented "angelic" language from the 16th century.

Also, all the angels speak actual Enochian, not just the bosses but also the grunts. They'll say things like "death to the whore" while you're fighting them.

zoukka

There's a codec call in MGS3 where the team wants Snake to quit the mission when you eat enough mushrooms and trip out in the conversations.

There's a codec call in MGS3 where the team wants Snake to quit the mission when you eat enough mushrooms and trip out in the conversations.

MGS3's codecs were amazing.

I remember one of the codec conversations being about snake trying to power his flashlight (or something, it's been a while) with glowing mushrooms.

The metroid one and a lot of examples in here are pretty neat, but the ice cube one doesn't really get me.

It's very common practice to have cleanup with destructible objects. The most common methods out there are fading away, scaling to 0, or just making it disappear hoping the player is looking way. Keep in mind someone spent probably a few hours to days on working all the breakables in MGS2, and when they got to the ice they made a clever choice to use the scaling method very slowly since it sort of makes it look like it's melting.

It's not like Kojima and all had a meeting on realism and subversive ideas and decided to put a bucket of ice in the game that specifically had cubes explode out and melt when shot.

At least that's my guess.

We are talking about kojima and metal gear here. The amount of little details in each title is astounding. In the face of all the other details in the game the thought that this slipped under the radar or was put in without his knowledge is unlikely.

What kind of fake ass wears glasses with no prescription?

He does. He states in the game he really doesn't need the glasses. He wants them to see the world even better. It seemed like a joke that gladio states but Ignis never refutes it. Also there is a tech reason for the effect in game.
Due to the high hardware requirements for proper order-independent transparency, Ignis's glasses end up replacing the depth information in the area that they cover so that the glasses themselves would not be out of focus. The result is that any background behind the glasses is unblurred even if rest of the background is.

ElyvpY.gif

I mean it's not out yet, but all the physics stuff in the new zelda, including lightning being attracted by metal and stuff..

It is really great to see the Zelda franchise make such big leaps, embracing an open world design and physicality. OP's example is also fantastic.

nOoblet16

Even then I bet Quantum crushes everything when it comes to Lighting systems.

I mean, I've posted the image a few times before (Nintendo vs other open world games) but the funny thing is after the Swiitch reveal its become reality.

I really like its artstyle tho.

TOWERS!?

Brb calling Ubisoft lawyers. Clearly a breach of IP and Copyrights.

Forgot to add GTAV there. The fact that engines make "cooling" sound after driving them and parking is crazy detail to me.
Quantum? Do you mean Quantum Break? Then yea..But it isn't open world. If you somehow mean Zelda then no it cannot even come close to matching up to lighting seen in current gen open world games like AC Unity, Farcry Primal, Division, Watch Dogs 2, even MGSV has a ridiculous lighting model despite being cross gen, Horizon looks pretty damn amazing too. Then there are non open world current gen games.

Zelda has a great art style and it's technically doing a lot for the power it has but its lighting model is closer to last gen games than it is to current gen. I'd say GTAV's lighting model is roughly on par with it.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Quantum? Do you mean Quantum Break? Then yea..But it isn't open world. If you somehow mean Zelda then no it cannot even come close to matching up to lighting seen in current gen open world games like AC Unity, Farcry Primal, Division, Watch Dogs 2, even MGSV has a ridiculous lighting model despite being cross gen, Horizon looks pretty damn amazing too. Then there are non open world current gen games.

Zelda has a great art style and it's doing a lot for the power it has but its lighting model is closer to last gen games than it is to current gen. I'd say GTAV's lighting model is roughly on par with it.

Yeah Quantum Break is what I was talking about.

But you are right, its about on par with GTAV not modded but crushed by the other open world games listed.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Jensen's apartment in Deus Ex: HR and in MD. There are so many little details in his place that tell more about his character, and the game almost never refers to any of it.

http://www.pcgamer.com/adam-jensens-mankind-divided-apartment-an-analysis/

In Dark Souls 1, one of the bosses is blind but the game never explicitly tells you outside of item descriptions. If you equip items that suppress noise, the boss won't track you but will only attack wherever you last attacked him, or wherever you last made noise.

mattp

The metroid one and a lot of examples in here are pretty neat, but the ice cube one doesn't really get me.

It's very common practice to have cleanup with destructible objects. The most common methods out there are fading away, scaling to 0, or just making it disappear hoping the player is looking way. Keep in mind someone spent probably a few hours to days on working all the breakables in MGS2, and when they got to the ice they made a clever choice to use the scaling method very slowly since it sort of makes it look like it's melting.

It's not like Kojima and all had a meeting on realism and subversive ideas and decided to put a bucket of ice in the game that specifically had cubes explode out and melt when shot.

At least that's my guess.

literally one of the first things i remember reading in MGS2 preview coverage back then was the melting icecubes shit
that was definitely done on purpose. and pointed out to the press

Newlove

Assassin's Creed always impresses me. In Syndicate, where you could enter a portal on the edge of the map and be transported to a WW1 version of the map. I was just thinking a lot of people wouldn't even notice that spot on the map and discover that section. The detail is always insane in these games.

Tigress

GTA V has a lot of little details. They spoil us so much with it I get disappointed now if they forget something (I look for them in the game where as other games I would take for granted that the little detail wouldn't be there. And now I get disappointed with R* when they miss something).

How about wet footprints that eventually if you keep walking your footprints gradually get less wet and your clothes getting wet to only where you walk in. Engine cooling down with a tink tink noise when you turn it off (that is something I had to have a video point out to me). Dome lights going on when you go into and out of cars. Drivers using turn signals (this is one of those things that gets me disappointed now in that we can't use turn signals). Those things on the highway put at the end of concrete walls meant to cushion impact if you hit actually do deflect if you hit them. Etc. Etc.

sn00zer

Overall Deus Ex: HR has got to be the most intricately detailed game Ive ever played. Game is just insanely dense with art assets. Actually it ended up being too dense when playing PS4 and had a hard time actually figuring out what I was seeing so ended up purchasing it on PC.

Going with your Metroid Prime Motif there is a fully rendered representation of the 4 beams on the inside of the arm cannon that the player literally will never see.

In the GameCube version, there's an idle animation where that panel flips around and Samus presses a few of those buttons.

I spent way too much time shooting out gas tanks in GTAV, leaving a gasoline trail, then igniting it.

Your car won't explode if the tank empties, too.

geordiemp

Anything in Uncharted 4 beats anything else by a long long way.

Even shooting things in the market fight, how sand and sugar spills, things fall over and clatter, its insane to the point that nobody is going to watch this stuff in slow motion to appreciate it other than maybe Digital foundry.

No other developer is that crazy, or needs to be.

HeelPower

MGS2'S tanker Store room was kinda mindblowing.

Multiple fully rendered,destructible little objects.Melons that burst and sand bags that spill their contents.

That kinda thing never happened in 2001 games.

Shin-Ra

Painting guy in Uncharted 4's Madagascar market.

U4paint.gif

It unpaints after a fairly short loop, but better than nothing! Next step - Shenmue daily walking routines for every NPC! Speaking of NPC's, they're remarkably high quality, down to the cloth texture, despite their high number in the market.

Uncharted 4 NPC grimace from flashlight pointed in face. One of the instances where gameplay facial animation matches up very well to cutscenes.
Also Uncharted 4 - the sooty spot left on the tunnel ceilings (and other objects) when you hold the flame torch underneath for a while.

The eyes in Project Diva Future Tone are reflective. If you look at them up close you can see a reflection of the stage.
I remember cubemap eye reflections being highlighted at least as far back as Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee before the original Xbox launched.

The absurd amount of detail in a car in Forza. I think it's totally unrivaled in the fact that you can open the car up and explore (other games have detailed engines on cars where the engine is visible through glass, but not many have a "car explorer" AFAIK) and see so much detail in its components.
Q1FpVOc.jpg

The PBR on them is amazing too. You can really see that the "M Power" engine cover is a plastic-y material while the rest are various metals.

3Dprinted

Neo Member

Thread winner here.
The thing is, they listed 41... but there are hundreds that didn't make it in the list. GTA V is literally full of this stuff.
Another amazing one? In the recently added amphibious vehicle, you can retract wheels to get top speed while in water.
What about the modeled car roof that you can open/close - and every car has a different mechanism?! That's just crazy!

AdanVC

ElyvpY.gif

I mean it's not out yet, but all the physics stuff in the new zelda, including lightning being attracted by metal and stuff..

Damn that hurts! Link's column must have broke into pieces after hitting on that treee, yet he only loses a quarter of heart.

Seeing players' first-person helmet HUDs on their character models.
starcitizen_2017_01_1o5k8j.png

Also, the ammo counter on third person Assault Rifles in Halo.

Uncharted 4 NPC grimace from flashlight pointed in face. One of the instances where gameplay facial animation matches up very well to cutscenes.

This is cool.
Oh the snow on the car windows in The Division is pretty hot too:

epfi02wtl1rqjm6vaqyg.gif

Also cool.

mclem

He does. He states in the game he really doesn't need the glasses. He wants them to see the world even better. It seemed like a joke that gladio states but Ignis never refutes it. Also there is a tech reason for the effect in game.
Due to the high hardware requirements for proper order-independent transparency, Ignis's glasses end up replacing the depth information in the area that they cover so that the glasses themselves would not be out of focus. The result is that any background behind the glasses is unblurred even if rest of the background is.

Coulda just rendered the blurred the backdrop *prior* to rendering the character model. Trivial and effective, but may not be compatible with their render pipeline.

Being able to grapple onto any physical object, including rockets, grenades, etc. in Titanfall 2 as well as the rope properly colliding with and bending against intermediate objects.

In Modern Warfare 3 - the segment where you are in the plane falling from the sky. If you reload your gun, the magazine will float away from you. It's one animation that is used in only one brief segment of that game.

Shin-Ra

AFAICR you only swing on one chunky chain like this in Uncharted 4, so while Drake does his super-man leap from it, the physics of the chain itself are well tuned for a one-off...

...but Drake has better modelled boot outsoles in Uncharted 3! Not certain if this is a Bluepoint HD upgrade or Naughty Dog original detail.

Splinter Cell 1, the way those rubbery plastic flaps that you were able to walk through. It's a small detail that now isn't as impressive but was amazing back in the day

memoryswap

Neo Member
Melting ice cubes in Metal Gear Solid 2

Also water drops running off Snake's elbows when he is crouched out on the tanker's rain drenched deck. No it wasn't just the regular rain that just happened to occasionally align with the elbows - Snake had special emitters fitted on there...

Top Bottom