• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is really pushing Horizon!

Wow! I had the wrong idea about this game, that's pretty impressive. Thanks!
From what they've shown it's looking like Witcher 3 with less focus on telling the story "your way", dialogue trees appear to be more about expanding the game lore and exposition than making an impact to the story (could be wrong, but with their lack of focus on branching story paths I doubt there's much of it). Combat is almost a suped up version of Witcher 3s. Big seamless open world (no loading screens in the over world like Dragon Age Inquisition). Has in depth tactical gameplay based on weapon choices and tool crafting, partnered with an action game level moment to moment action. There's also an apparent light emphasis on gear, with many different weapons and armour that can be crafted or bought.
There's only so many RPG elements you can have before your game is an RPG. I'd say Horizon, at this moment in time with our limited information, is as much an RPG as Dragon Age Inquisition and is nothing at all like Zelda in the slightest bit.
Yeah, I can see now. I stand corrected. I was on a bit of a blackout for the game and just basically waiting for "scores" on reviews, but now with the video sleepr shared I've seen the light. Hype through the roof!
Pretty much. Mock reviews have been very good. Internally I'm told the game is regarded as the best thing coming out of anything first party by senior PS leadership. They're extremely high on it.

I expect the game do well critically and commercially.
OH. MY.

It's a great thing to see a AAA action adventure with a solo female main character (when was the last time we got that? Beyond Good and Evil?) again. Especially with this marketing push.

I expect great things.

images

--

Can't wait for Horizon.

But needing to buy this, Nier, Mass Effect and Persona so near each other is deadly.

Luckily Tales of Berseria is out as the demo was terribad.

It's a great thing to see a AAA action adventure with a solo female main character (when was the last time we got that? Beyond Good and Evil?) again. Especially with this marketing push.

I expect great things.
Gravity Rush 2 literally just came out 2 days ago lmao

alt27

Looking forward to this. Feb will be my Yakuza 0 month, onto March for Horizon, and end of March onwards Mass Effect.

Going to be a big push the week before launch too.

Should go gold around end of next week.

Excellent. It's good to see them getting really behind this game. The look of the setting, heroine, robot dinos (and combat with them), and art design is really attention grabbing to me. Hopefully also really shows they are happy with how it turned out giving it a really big release-time push for this one.

Picking it up right away.

Pretty much. Mock reviews have been very good. Internally I'm told the game is regarded as the best thing coming out of anything first party by senior PS leadership. They're extremely high on it.

better than naughty dog?
i find that hard to believe not on my own part but by the leadership

Majora

Don't believe Shinobi hype.memento.jrpg.

Seriously. He spent months trying to convince everyone that The Order wasn't a turd and that there was a lot of stuff they were keeping under wraps that would turn the negative pre-release sentiment around.

Not saying that Horizon won't be great but I won't be basing any hype off someone who seems to be on the Sony payroll in some form.

better than naughty dog?
i find that hard to believe not on my own part but by the leadership
It's not like it's quantifiable. I don't mean they think..it's better or worse necessarily but that it's something completely fresh and new so of course it's more exciting.

Seriously. He spent months trying to convince everyone that The Order wasn't a turd and that there was a lot of stuff they were keeping under wraps that would turn the negative pre-release sentiment around.

Not saying that Horizon won't be great but I won't be basing any hype off someone who seems to be on the Sony payroll in some form.
I really couldn't give two shits what other people think about games so there's no point for me to waste time "convincing" anybody. I didn't work on The Order. I relayed that what I saw looked good, and as I linked in my previous post, many others felt the same way. But hey, I won't stop you from your tinfoil conspiracies, you never know. That payroll could be good.

I generally take the collective sentiment of GAF quite seriously, so after a few months of hearing the constant "I'm worried about Horizon "Horizon is probably going to be the biggest disappointment of the year' etc. my hype started to dwindle on this, despite never having heard any ob ejective reason why's any of this would be the case.

Then I was rewatching the EasyAllies reactions to the last few press conferences and saw the last couple of gameplay trailers of Horizon...

It looks fucking phenomenal, I don't see a single reason to be disappointed and many many many reasons to expect incredible things from this game.

Definitely can't understand GAFs pessimism but I think it might be an attempt at "I told you so" based on nothing.

The important thing about insider information is for us who receive the information to separate our inherent biases and analyses the info as objectively as we can.

For example, if the source of any info is first hand from the developer or close partner, there is a chance that the information will have inherent bias given the one who share the info is biased on their view of what's good.

The objective factors we need to take away from what shinobi shares are two points:
- product is reviewing well internally via mock reviews
- product is viewed favourably by SIE leadership

First is info that, while not definitive, is info that gives context to the fact that this product is still seen favourably even with external perspective that isn't attached to product.

Second info is less objective given SIE leadership obviously wants this game to be successful but it's never a bad thing that a product is seen favourably. It's far better than them being down on it and chooses to not support it.

Putty

Easy tiger...

I expect great things.

Heavenly Sword? Horizon even features a redhead like Heavenly Sword. :p

kyser73

Australia here - went into a local-ish JB HiFi store, and they have a decently sized cardboard POS display with a big pic of Aloy & a Thunderjaw, plus loads of empty boxes glued to it. Stands out on their crowded floor space too, had a pre-order bonus thing too.

I'm day 1 for this. Very happy that it's RPG-lite, as I honestly don't have the time or inclination to go into deep ability trees. I want something with a logical and fairly linear upgrade path that enables me to combat harder enemies, with enough choice to fit around my playstyle, and that EGX demo linked to earlier shows me the game is right up my alley.

Day 1.

I'm day 1 for this. Very happy that it's RPG-lite, as I honestly don't have the time or inclination to go into deep ability trees. I want something with a logical and fairly linear upgrade path that enables me to combat harder enemies, with enough choice to fit around my playstyle, and that EGX demo linked to earlier shows me the game is right up my alley.

Yeah I preordered it the moment last trailer confirmed it will be RPG lite and not more of AC/FarCry with mecha dinos.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Sounds promising.

I generally take the collective sentiment of GAF quite seriously, so after a few months of hearing the constant "I'm worried about Horizon "Horizon is probably going to be the biggest disappointment of the year' etc. my hype started to dwindle on this, despite never having heard any ob ejective reason why's any of this would be the case.

Then I was rewatching the EasyAllies reactions to the last few press conferences and saw the last couple of gameplay trailers of Horizon...

It looks fucking phenomenal, I don't see a single reason to be disappointed and many many many reasons to expect incredible things from this game.

Definitely can't understand GAFs pessimism but I think it might be an attempt at "I told you so" based on nothing.

You should never do this.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I can only imagine the meltdown that would engulf GAF if Horizon ends up with a higher MC score than Zelda.

Those are strong praise shinobi

I don't think "best" means quality here. I think it is more about IP potential. A game that can potentially bring about a bunch of commercial success (game sales, merchandise, etc...) and acclaim.

As Shinobi also said, it is something completely fresh and new. So, it provides an opportunity to establish something else as their forefront IP instead of recycling the same old same old.

I don't think "best" means quality here. I think it is more about IP potential. A game that can potentially bring about a bunch of commercial success (game sales, merchandise, etc...) and acclaim.

As Shinobi also said, it is something completely fresh and new. So, it provides an opportunity to establish something else as their forefront IP instead of recycling the same old same old.
I can see why. New IP next big AAaa open world game, a new face added to PlayStation, robot dinosaurs equal some nice toys and figures, even movie potential (plz god don't do it tho Sony)

jackal27

Banned
Really, really hoping this game turns out well. I've heard a couple of troubling things, but I love the look and feel of the game.

I can only imagine the meltdown that would engulf GAF if Horizon ends up with a higher MC score than Zelda.
It will. And this is why
1.) Giving western AAA games an automatic pass and adjusting review scores based on hype has to stop

2.) Aggregated review scores are pretty worthless aside from revealing massive issues with games at launch.

I-hate-u

I spent so many years on this forum to know Shinobi has no bias (except for Mass Effect), nor is paid by anyone based on the information he has relayed us. He is simply a passionate gamer with friends in this industry, and is kind enough to share with us tidbits he hears.
So lets stop that.

entremet

I's an expensive production and they want it to sell. Nothing really out of the ordinary.

I spent so many years on this forum to know Shinobi has no bias (except for Mass Effect), nor is paid by anyone based on the information he has relayed us. He is simply a passionate gamer with friends in this industry, and is kind enough to share with us tidbits he hears.
So lets stop that.

Shinobi is a nice a guy and great contributor here, but everyone has bias. Better to accept and learn to deal it than say we're automatons without feelings.

Again, I'm not saying he's biased in this instance, but no one is immune to bias. This obsession with objectivity in things clearly subjective, like the arts, is really wacky and only something we see in video game criticism. Like things have to be absolute or have full consensus.

jackal27

Banned
I's an expensive production and they want it to sell. Nothing really out of the ordinary.
Eh, I think there's something to be said for the fact that they also want good (exclusive) games to push their hardware, but you're also not wrong.

What troubling things and where did you hear them?
I mean nothing big or secret. Just some gameplay impressions on social media and things.

I-hate-u

Shinobi is a nice a guy and great contributor here, but everyone has bias. Better to accept and learn to deal it than say we're automatons without feelings.

Again, I'm not saying he's biased in this instance, but no one is immune to bias. This obsession with objectivity in things clearly subjective like the arts, is really wacky and only something we see in video game criticism. Like things have to be absolutely or have full consensus.

What I mean specifically by bias is console manufacturer. I don't recall him saying anything subjectively with regards to that.

Zedark

Again, I'm not saying he's biased in this instance, but no one is immune to bias. This obsession with objectivity in things clearly subjective, like the arts, is really wacky and only something we see in video game criticism. Like things have to be absolute or have full consensus.

True objectivity obviously doesn't exist, but the post your quote referred to was accusing Shinobi602 of basically running a paid marketing campaign for Sony, which is quite something different than suggesting he is not a machine with no biases.

I really couldn't give two shits what other people think about games so there's no point for me to waste time "convincing" anybody. I didn't work on The Order. I relayed that what I saw looked good, and as I linked in my previous post, many others felt the same way. But hey, I won't stop you from your tinfoil conspiracies, you never know. That payroll could be good.

Ignore them pal. Just out of interest, I find your story great. If I'm correct, you went from a guy who posted all the latest news on here in the form of new threads to becoming a sort of celebrity where companies show you stuff that's in development right ? That's amazing and bizarre at the same time! That will attract a lot of jealous people to attack you online though :(

On topic I think Horizon looks great but will be holding off until summer as I just can't wait any longer to play Zelda.

jackal27

Banned
Ok guys chill, I really don't have anything substantial here. I just remember hearing a comparison to Far Cry and I really don't like those games so it troubled me. Also, if the story spoilers are legitimate, I don't think I'd be a fan either.

The combat looks cool, but it's the open-world aspects that have me concerned. It seems like the type of game that could have benefitted from a tighter design with set pieces and the like and that's also sort of how they've marketed it. I guess my biggest issue would be that based on what they've shown of the game, in practice it plays differently.

In fact, the impressions I got from the footage I watched at E3 conferences was something closer to Uncharted or Enslaved. But that's not what this game is, even if they're marketing it like that.

EDIT: I seem to remember hearing that the combat was a little limited too, especially for a game being billed as an open-world experience. It seems kind of like an RPG, but without the character building that goes along with that so I'm concerned it will be repetitive as well.

Who knows though. Game could be shorter than it looks or could have more features I haven't seen or haven't been shown off.

Ok guys chill, I really don't have anything substantial here. I just remember hearing a comparison to Far Cry and I really don't like those games so it troubled me. Also, if the story spoilers are legitimate, I don't think I'd be a fan either.

The combat looks cool, but it's the open-world aspects that have me concerned. It seems like the type of game that could have benefitted from a tighter design with set pieces and the like and that's also sort of how they've marketed it. I guess my biggest issue would be that based on what they've shown of the game, in practice it plays differently.

In fact, the impressions I got from the footage I watched at E3 conferences was something closer to Uncharted or Enslaved. But that's not what this game is, even if they're marketing it like that.
Uhhh what e3 were you watching

I'm still a bit salty over how Verendus turned out to be full of crap.
Suikoden VI,Sony Japan rpg to rival FF..ugh

Think about how many insiders left this forum, people. Shinobi and Demonite outlived all of them.

I would argue DemonNite could be considered "having left" as an insider, he flew too close to the sun.

Still Project Beast, Horizon and the Alphabetical Order. He left with a legacy.

entremet

Think about how many insiders left this forum, people. Shinobi and Demonite outlived all of them.

Thuway is still here, but he's stopped reporting.

Being an insider is a tricky thing since it tends to go to people's head. I get it, adoration and praise are addictive. Props on Shinobi for staying humble. It's very hard to do.

Top Bottom