• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps4 Software sales Reach 401.1 million

yurinka

7.5 games per console sounds great for a 3 years old console. Do we have numbers/charts to compare with previous gens aligned to launch?

Nzyme32

This thread has brought to attention how bad 3DS software sales are: 293 million.

You can't really compare them when the use-case scenarios are entirely different. There are also phones around to take up mobile gaming and likely digging into the amount of game some might want to buy on a dedicated handheld. We could compare how Steam had 238 million sales across the last year alone, but obviously with the addition of the platform availability being entirely different, use-cases are different also.

AniHawk

7.5 games per console sounds great for a 3 years old console. Do we have numbers/charts to compare with previous gens aligned to launch?

wii hardware: 67.65m
wii software: 509.66m
attach ratio: 7.55:1

i don't have comparable ps3 or ps2 numbers. ps2 hardware was 51.2m in a similar time (through march 2003), but i can't find any software data. all i know is that it sold over 1.5 billion units of software at the end.

sirronoh

I'll be adding 4 to that number on Super Tuesday in two days.
Yakuza, Tales, Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil

Congratz Sony. 2017 is going to be one hell of a year.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Sure, let's see what you say at the end of ps4 cycle

I mean its like some ppl arent reading thru the thread or even taking into account the PS4 isnt done selling console yet. lol

Definitely. Especially if the PS5 doesn't come until 2020

The PS5 coming before 2020 doesnt even have to affect it. If they can lower the price even more it could hit 100 million easy.

The PS2 sold alot more after the PS3 launched.

AniHawk

This thread has brought to attention how bad 3DS software sales are: 293 million.

this is really normal for handhelds, aside from the ds, which was the ps2 equivalent of handhelds.

3ds hardware: 61.57m
3ds software: 293.4m
attach ratio: 4.76:1

psp hardware: 62.2m
psp software: 283.5m
attach ratio: 4.56:1
(this is only through 2011, and then sony started to combine this with ps vita sales, or stopped updating numbers on their site. estimates put the psp between 80m and 84m, which means software could be close to 400m)

ds hardware: 154.02m
ds software: 948.44m
attach ratio: 6.16:1

gba hardware: 81.51m
gba software: 377.42m
attach ratio: 4.63:1

gb hardware: 118.69m
gb software: 501.11m
attach ratio: 4.22:1

going off this, the vita should have sold around 60-65m units of software.

AndyD

aka andydumi
It can't be used to compare it with previous generation due to the price flexibility that a modern digital marketplace supports and the resulting variable platform holder cut.

But all that variety existed in the previous generation. PSN games started at a couple of bucks on PS3.

It may not be comparable to the generation before that.

Hazelhurst

l0Ex3UHA0m5ubXNok.gif

Insane Metal

Gold Member
PS3: 261.2 million
NDS: 330.81 million
Wii: 509.66 million
These are shipped figures though (This PS4 data is sell trough)

MS hasn't ever given data about sw sales. PS4 has already passed total SW sales of GBA (377.42 million) and SNES (379.06 million)

W.T.F.

How is this even possible O.O

916.15 million. X360 and PS3 should be somewhere around that figure too...
PS3 is likely a lot higher...
I believe the PS3 passed 1 billion sometime in 2013, but I'm too lazy to look for it.
...but not that long ago. Here's the actual numbers:

Code:
PS3 software sales                    TOTAL
FY06      13m                           13m
FY07      58m                           72m
FY08     104m                          176m
FY09     116m                          292m
FY10     148m                          440m
FY11     156m (not counting 8m PS2)    596m
FY12     154m (including ??? PS2)     ~741m
FY13          higher than FY12        ~891m
FY14          less than FY13          ~966m
FY15          less than FY14         ~1000m+

FY12 the PS2 and PS3 software numbers are combined, so I assume PS2 was no more than 9m that year (given it was 8m the prior year). FY13 software for PS3 was unstated, but said to be higher than FY12. Then it began to decline; I've assumed it cut in half each year after. All these assumptions should be conservative, so totals may be higher than my estimates.

It came literally with every single Wii. It's not like we had the option of not getting it.
In Japan it was a separate purchase. But the Wii software numbers are bumped tens of millions of units by Wii Play, which was only $10 when customers bought an extra Wiimote for multiplayer.

What's the latest WiiU software sales count?
92.35m.

The Wii's 916 million says hi.

400 million is good but it's in line with other successful consoles. Nothing mindblowing.
"Mindblowing" differs from person to person. But the 400m number is not in line with other successful consoles; it's higher than most. Wii was indeed even higher, by about 150m, at the same point in its life (about 100m of that gap accounted for by Wii Sports/Fit/Play). But other segment-leading consoles were lower: PS2 at 350m, NDS at 331m, 3DS at 67.9m. So PS4 has the second-best software sales of any console at this point in its life.

Bringing up Wii's ending total of 916m actually makes the comparison even more skewed in the PS4's favor. Every PlayStation so far has sold more software than that, and to a high probability so will PS4. It's also very likely that by the end of 2017, PS4 will already have passed the lifetime software sales of every other non-Sony console except Wii, 360, and DS.

Rozart

Yeah...I've bought a lot of games for my PS4.

Infamous Second Son
LBP3
The Lego Hobbit
Uncharted 4
Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishment
Assassin's Creed: Unity
Batman: Arkham Knight
Until Dawn
Dragon Age: Inquisition
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Bloodborne
Dark Souls 3
Destiny
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Overwatch
Final Fantasy XV
The Last Guardian
Journey

2017 would bulk it up even further. Nioh, P5, Mass Effect: Andromeda, Nier, Horizon etc. I'm a very satisfied gamer that's for sure. :p

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
But all that variety existed in the previous generation. PSN games started at a couple of bucks on PS3.

It may not be comparable to the generation before that.
Sure. It's just amplified where even full price titles went from 0% for some titles last gen to 30%+ now. It's a changed market and like-for-like comparisons are therefor difficult.

But you are right that the further you go back the worse the comparisons are made.

Nowadays there is are no single metrics (sales) any more. It's much more complex and nontransparent.

LordofPwn

At 50m units sold: PS4 has a higher attach rate than Wii and PS2. I just think Wii hit 50m units faster?

Keep in mind digital, indie, and cheaper game prices are actually a thing now. By cheaper I just mean the price of games varies quite a bit. Lots of smaller and lower prices games available today.

The Wii's 916 million says hi.

400 million is good but it's in line with other successful consoles. Nothing mindblowing.
But ps4 life cycle is still on going...
Gotta love that underhanded comment at the end. What you should have done is do a comparison of ps4 sofware sales with software sales of previous gens along the same time period, not at end

wii hardware: 67.65m
wii software: 509.66m
attach ratio: 7.55:1

i don't have comparable ps3 or ps2 numbers. ps2 hardware was 51.2m in a similar time (through march 2003), but i can't find any software data. all i know is that it sold over 1.5 billion units of software at the end.
PS2 software was at 350m through March 2003, so an attach rate of 6.84:1.

demigod

Does this count PS+ free games? Those all go through the checkout process, you even get an order confirmation email, and email even states "Thank you for your PlayStation®Store purchase. A receipt of your purchase is below. Be sure to keep it in a safe place for future reference."

No becuz you get the same email for demos as well.

There are a shit ton of affordable, quality indie titles.

I buy more of those than I do full fledged AAA titles at $80.

Anyone know the track record of X1, 360, PS3, PS2?

Nothing really revolutionary he means. It's the same formula they've relied on since PS1. Easy to develop for system
Hahaha that's rich. Ps2 and ps3 were a bitch to develop for. And your last line kinda sound like that ps4 is only successful because of their competitor's fuckups

Anyone know the track record of X1, 360, PS3, PS2?
Microsoft, to the best of my knowledge, has never shared software numbers for any console. The much lower hardware sales of all their machines pretty much guarantees that none of them would match PS4 in software, though.

The PS2 and PS3 numbers--as well as some Nintendo ones--are elsewhere in the thread.

Toli08

Yeah Minus the ps+ games I have probably close to 200 digital games. It's those damn sales that seem to come every other week.

Great numbers for Sony and means that studios will try their best to put their games on the platform.

Top Bottom