• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Origin Access would come with a 10 hours early trial and a 10% off purchase of the game? So in the end, I wouldn't waste any money since the monthly sub is just about the same amount than 10% off 80$ CAD anyway huh? Might as well use it right?

Origin Access would come with a 10 hours early trial and a 10% off purchase of the game? So in the end, I wouldn't waste any money since the monthly sub is just about the same amount than 10% off 80$ CAD anyway huh? Might as well use it right?
Exactly. No reason not to.

diaspora

Almost always play female if given the choice. FemShep forever.

8 hours character customisation.
1.5 hours technical tweaking.
30 minutes to finish the intro/tutorial.

Dunno, Hale was great in ME1 and 2, but Meer fucking killed it in ME3.

edit: If you're in Canada you can get the game for 20% off Amazon, or for $55 CAD on CDKeys.

Dunno, Hale was great in ME1 and 2, but Meer fucking killed it in ME3.

edit: If you're in Canada you can get the game for 20% off Amazon, or for $55 CAD on CDKeys.
CDKey tends to follow EU release dates though, and both only have the Standard Edition for PC. I suppose there is a good chance there will be a digital deluxe upgrade for $14.99USD on launch day though.

diaspora

CDKey tends to follow EU release dates though, and both only have the Standard Edition for PC. I suppose there is a good chance there will be a digital deluxe upgrade for $14.99USD on launch day though.

True, but $53-55 CAD is too good to pass up even if I get it on the 23rd (at the latest). Especially when the game is like $80.

True, but $53-55 CAD is too good to pass up even if I get it on the 23rd (at the latest). Especially when the game is like $80.
Yeah, it's definitely tempting. I would probably jump on it if I hadn't requested that week off as vacation already. I don't wanna waste 2 more days of that waiting for the game, and my employer limits vacation to full calendar weeks for some reason.

prag16

Banned
Exactly. No reason not to.

Origin charges full sales tax in the U.S. Digital stuff on amazon charges some reduced 1% digital sales tax. So I was gonna order on Amazon and get the 5% back with the prime mastercard.

The 10% off on Origin barely makes up for all this, so the $5 for Origin Access would basically be the cost I'd be paying to play the game a few days early. Seems ill advised. But I'll probably end up doing it. Hell, I'm already bypassing the chance to pay almost $20 less on cdkeys because I don't want to wait for the European release date...

(Anybody know why Origin seems to be the ONLY digital software distribution platform that charges full state sales tax??)

diaspora

Origin charges full sales tax in the U.S. Digital stuff on amazon charges some reduced 1% digital sales tax. So I was gonna order on Amazon and get the 5% back with the prime mastercard.

The 10% off on Origin barely makes up for all this, so the $5 for Origin Access would basically be the cost I'd be paying to play the game a few days early. Seems ill advised. But I'll probably end up doing it. Hell, I'm already bypassing the chance to pay almost $20 less on cdkeys because I don't want to wait for the European release date...

(Anybody know why Origin seems to be the ONLY digital software distribution platform that charges full state sales tax??)

Might be EA's legal/business structure. Regarding Canada at least they're based in several cities and if they distribute from the country they'd pay local taxes.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I'm weirdly appreciating ME3 like never before, whilst ME2 kind of fell flat for me for the first time ever this last trilogy playthrough, we are indeed in the darkest timeline my brothers and sisters :/

SliChillax

I'm weirdly appreciating ME3 like never before, whilst ME2 kind of fell flat for me for the first time ever this last trilogy playthrough, we are indeed in the darkest timeline my brothers and sisters :/
Same thoughts when I replayed the trilogy this Christmas. ME2 felt so flat compared to ME3. Gameplay, graphics, set pieces, the actual levels are so much more superior in ME3. I couldn't wait to finish ME2 so I could start playing ME3 again.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I think what mostly hurts ME2 is the gameplay. Going to this game after playing ME3 feels like such a downgrade with the lack of movement, bigger power cooldowns, less powers & guns to play with, etc.

That's because ME3 is the best game in the series. You're just finally coming around to it.

When I first played Mass Effect 3 it didn't wov me. I was not as upset as everyone, but I was also not floored like I had been with ME2.

But when I replayed all the 3 games with DLC and the extended ending. Goddamn. I got so incredible attached to the cast of ME3 thanks to DLC like the Citadel and Levithan, and From Ashes. It was the most fascinating stuff tucked away into the DLC.

ME3 is one of my favorite games. As is ME2. The characters is what sells me on these games.

Patryn

That's because ME3 is the best game in the series. You're just finally coming around to it.

Playing ME3 I feel schizophrenic. It wildly swings from me thinking it's the best to thinking it's the worst.

It's very, very uneven. It definitely needed at least another year in the oven.

diaspora

Playing ME3 I feel schizophrenic. It wildly swings from me thinking it's the best to thinking it's the worst.

It's very, very uneven. It definitely needed at least another year in the oven.

I have mixed feelings about Kai Leng. I can't tell if I hate him because he's badly written, or if I hate him because they wrote him to be a cunt.

Patryn

I have mixed feelings about Kai Leng. I can't tell if I hate him because he's badly written, or if I hate him because they wrote him to be a cunt.

For me it's 100 percent badly written. He's clearly shoe-horned in, the battles with him are extremely badly done by exposing how much of a pushover he is when you actually get the chance to fight him, and the writers give him way too much plot armor.

He's also written like an obsessed stalker and I'm not sure if that was the writer's intentions?

diaspora

For me it's 100 percent badly written. He's clearly shoe-horned in, the battles with him are extremely badly done by exposing how much of a pushover he is when you actually get the chance to fight him, and the writers give him way too much plot armor.

He's also written like an obsessed stalker and I'm not sure if that was the writer's intentions?

The man ate Crusader V shots to the face and still walked away smh

edit: I would've appreciated a The End type deal in MGS3 where they let you kill him early if you're really good. Also Leng would have worked better had he taken Jacob's place in ME2.

Patryn

The man ate Crusader V shots to the face and still walked away smh

edit: I would've appreciated a The End type deal in MGS3 where they let you kill him early if you're really good. Also Leng would have worked better had he taken Jacob's place in ME2.

Yeah, he dies in under 30 seconds to me. The Thessia fight is fucking terrible because my turret and drone just chew him up in under 10 seconds before he has to call for the helicpoter and it's fucking ridiculous and so clearly hackneyed.

They needed to make him extremely difficult if they wanted to give him credibility.

X-Frame

I think what mostly hurts ME2 is the gameplay. Going to this game after playing ME3 feels like such a downgrade with the lack of movement, bigger power cooldowns, less powers & guns to play with, etc.

The addition of all the other Tech combos in ME3 got me very excited during the MP Demo. Though I am still not sure if I liked what they did with the biotic in ME3, making nearly every combo into a biotic explosion.

I sort of liked, however underpowered Adept's were considered in ME2, how their play style was all about manipulating the enemies. Pulling them out of cover in such a way that when you hit them again with a Throw angled from the opposite direction they would fly off the map. Stasis would freeze nearly anything (probably too good of a bonus power). Then there was Shockwave and Singularity for more crowd control, but you often had to finish with your gun.

Biotic explosions if I remember correctly were only for Warp combos in ME2. ME3 made everything a combo with bombs going off left and right. I liked the change in some ways (woo explosions) but didn't in other ways (less about manipulation and more about just combo after combo).

Ralemont

not me

I kinda think so. Several of his scenes in the game display a clear inferiority complex to Shepard that TIM preys on. The email just crystallizes this.

It's an unpopular opinion but Kai Leng works in ME3 for me in that sense, because I think he's characterized as an uppity try-hard bitch and when you finally serve him with the best Renegade interrupt in the series it feels damn good. That's not to say he's particularly well-written, of course. I dunno, I just always felt it was strange to single out him being a ninja as BioWare being ridiculous in a series with, like, Vanguards.

Back when the BSN was alive people wouldn't shut up about the Thane Kai Leng fight because Thane rushes him even though he has a gun. Except that Leng is a biotic and one cutscene earlier he blocks a bunch of bullets with a biotic barrier so I don't really see why it's such a big deal that Thane decides to melee.

Ridesh

Banned
I bet they're keeping it as some kind of surprise because your teammates will have the faces of Tom Cruise and Emma Watson or some other less known celebrities lol.

As long as they are well done, Alec Ryder face looks great

latest

diaspora

he looks like a dude who has either seen some shit or has just taken a shit.

Alec Ryder was a member of Jon Grissom's original task force which travelled through the Charon mass relay – the first encountered by humanity – in 2149. Ryder would go on to further prove his mettle by completing N7 training, solidifying himself as one of the Alliance military's elite.

sounds about right

Yeul

Well he did say "not all". Though I don't even think it should matter, you can't please everyone.

Also I'm finally doing a trilogy replay. I haven't played ME1 since like...2014??? Shame me.
ME2 is better anyway.

Here on NeoGAF or the rest of the internet? Because I think you're being optimistic about NeoGAF changing their minds, lol.
I bet someone going to go all "look at that legs movement, totally unnatural. Typical Bioware jank!"
Lol, I meant here and the web at large. Not all of course, some are determined to shit on the game no matter what so there will no doubt be complaints as always but I think they'll be petty this time if anything. Can't please everyone.

Mindlog

I think the next trailer will change a lot (not all) of negative sentiment. At least the vocal minority we've seen.
BRB, Posting thread in gaming.

Been debating my platforms for MEA pretty hard.
Most of the old crew is on XBOX still, but I'm waiting on Scorpio for that.
PC will undeniably be the best experience, but also have small crew on PS4.

PS4 first then replays on PC?

Garlador

My wife is on ME3 for the first time. I'm playing the trilogy all over again. My best friend just started her first playthrough.

It's a Mass Effect month I'm quite enjoying.

Lots of big-name streamers have been doing first-time playthroughs of the series on Twitch. Everyone's getting stocked, locked, and loaded for March.

My favourite ones I've watched are the people who really squeeze the the games for all their content and get really invested in the lore. Go figure the ones that aren't into it are the ones that skip mountains of content, don't care about conversations.

Also there's been a strong correlation of people who play paragon really enjoying their first playthroughs compared to those that play renegade asshole and then wonder why they don't care about the series and the characters as much.

I'll always maintain that going Paragon makes the superior first-experience.

SaylorMan

I'll always maintain that going Paragon makes the superior first-experience.

When I first started Mass Effect (I was young) I would play as the Noble Knight type character. The heros in my head were Paragon no matter what! Though I find sticking to that mentality now (still young but I have self-respect) boring.

That got me thinking, how does everybody play Mass Effect or just choice-heavy games in general?

I went from the Noble Knight to trying to put myself in the characters shoes more and choosing what I feel like. I do this with all games now, Dragon Age, Telltale games etc And since this shift I've enjoyed roleplaying games more and more. (Playing yourself is the way to do it!!)

For another example, my friends first playthrough he created a mini character in his head for his first Shepard and roleplayed that.

Yeul

I have never had the desire to play as myself, it's always me roleplaying a character I have come up with. It's a good way to differentiate playthroughs. Character A is lawful good, Character B chaotic neutral, etc. etc. is the best way to describe it. It just makes things more interesting for me and I probably feel more invested because of it.

DevilDog

Just played some ME3 multiplayer. I forgot how bad the controls are.

I didn't get extracted because i accidentally rolled out of the zone instead of taking cover...

And there is some weird negative mouse acceleration on PC, what the hell is that?

Bombless

Just played some ME3 multiplayer. I forgot how bad the controls are.

I didn't get extracted because i accidentally rolled out of the zone instead of taking cover...

And there is some weird negative mouse acceleration on PC, what the hell is that?

The joys of one-button-does-it-all.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I can appreciate people finding it boring, but I like to play as the altruistic diplomat in Mass Effect games. I think it's because BioWare's method of dialogue and narrative branching tends to massively favour either positive pathing or simply offer absolute win states via paragon (and renegade) choices that tie up serious dilemmas with a neat and tidy bow. Rarely are there any actual difficult choices or (in my opinion) complex moral ambiguity. Playing as the nice guy diplomatic almost always results in a perfect win state for absolutely everything throughout the game, and you'll rarely if ever feel like you're being punished, and I like that sense of accomplishment even if it's. Cliché hero and savior syndrome.

DevilDog

Yeah, playing the diplomat in ME3 was actually pretty damn great. The politics in that game are one of the best things in the series.

Same for ME1 but not as great as ME3.

Yeul

The Jack and Miranda argument is a good barometer of how the game tends to deal in absolutes. In my first ever playthrough of ME2, Miranda died during the Suicide Mission because I sided with Jack in their argument, but didn't have enough paragon or renegade points to diffuse the situation. I don't remember the order of how I went through missions, but obviously the way I played meant that I was dabbling in Paragon/Renegade enough that I was kind of screwed in that instance. Like I said, that was the first time I ever played ME2 though. Subsequently, I just stuck with diplomat nice Shepard. Andromeda will be interesting, given that the systems are now updated and the addition of more varied tone-based responses will allow for a bit more nuance, even if the end result is the same.

Also I was thinking about this while playing ME1 but every time I remember that game is basically a decade old I want to fly into the sun.

I noticed r/masseffect jumped right on the comment Shinobi made here in the community thread about a new Andromeda trailer this week.

I guess we've got some people who visit/read the thread but don't post. We don't bite. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom