• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping that they'll have some kind of numerical values for the positions of each aspect of the character creation, so that appearances can be more easily shared and/or reproduced.

I think the ME games on PC had something like this, right? It's something I really would've appreciated for DA: Origins, and Inquisition.

Mass Effect had face codes that could be shared between consoles and PC -- they were literally a text string that could be copy/pasted. When asked if DAI could have something similar, Bioware said there were too many variables with the sliders for it to be done in such a simple way.

I wish they would let us export the face data to a file that could be shared, though that doesn't seem feasible on console without something like Saints Row's character database website.

That said, if they could just put a numerical value next to each slider, it would be better than nothing.

Mindlog

The medi gel reload cancel method was possible on 360, but was awkward as fuck to try and pull off due to the hand positioning required.

The best way to do it on 360 was just by using one of the power buttons, preferably Y, during cooldown since using A was unreliable on classes who could dodge.
Yeah, I did best with Y because cloak was perfect while I mastered the skill.

For non-dodge classes then A was fine.
After a while you could use just about any key to get it to work. First out of necessity and then out of habit.

Sai

Mass Effect had face codes that could be shared between consoles and PC
Did it work on consoles too? It's been a long while, but I seem to recall having difficulties maintaining that same face across the entire trilogy.

Or maybe that was due to the changes they made to ME2 and 3's character creator. I'm probably getting things mixed up.

That said, if they could just put a numerical value next to each slider, it would be better than nothing.
Yes, I'd be content with just this.

Probably way too late to be begging for it though. :/

Yeul

Maybe they could put something like "save face as template" or whatever and you have a certain number of slots and every time you start a new game you can pick that template you saved and go back and edit it if you want. There's just so many coordinates in the DA:I CC that it would be hard to make a face code like in the original trilogy. I literally had to get a save editor, open up the .DAS file and look for every coordinate number with a ruler overlay program on top in order to get it exact. I didn't do it for 90% of my playthroughs, most times I just started from the 30 min mark save with my character already made which for me was right when you get outside after being interrogated by Cassandra and Leliana. It was just for my most recent playthrough that I did that, I wanted to just complete my trophy list (idk why) and you could only get a couple of the trials trophies by having them on from the start of the game. Anyways, yeah it sucks "there has to be a better way", etc. etc.

I assume mostly everyone here has pre-ordered the game already? If so, what versions did you get?

I decided to redeem a few Christmases worth of Best-Buy gift cards I had saved up for some Xbox/Microsoft currency. Digitally pre-ordered the Super Digital Deluxe version for XB1.

Now it's a wait for the EA Access trial/multiplayer test.

e5c8dfe3db2e67d15f99632446185edd.gif

Patryn

PS4 and PC.

Yeah, I'm double-dipping right out of the gate.

First time I'm going to play first on PC in all likelihood. I need to be able to use a controller. I just hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, HATE, HATE using kb+m in Mass Effect. Seriously, I fucking hate it. It's flames, flames down the side of my face....

HATE.

diaspora

Regular edition on CDKeys; about $40 USD/ $55 CAD with no sales tax. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Better than paying fucking $60 USD/ $80 CAD + tax.
PS4 and PC.

First time I'm going to play first on PC in all likelihood. I need to be able to use a controller. I just hate, hate, hate, hate, hate, HATE, HATE using kb+m in Mass Effect. Seriously, I fucking hate it. It's flames, flames down the side of my face....

HATE.

I'm the opposite personally. Using a controller in any games involving firearms feels so clunky to me.

I assume mostly everyone here has pre-ordered the game already? If so, what versions did you get?
PC, because A) I'm a PC gamer and B) CDKeys had a deal for like $37 for the regular edition.

PS4 and PC.

HATE.
Well, they confirmed controller support for PC, so that's no problem.

Did it work on consoles too? It's been a long while, but I seem to recall having difficulties maintaining that same face across the entire trilogy.

Or maybe that was due to the changes they made to ME2 and 3's character creator. I'm probably getting things mixed up.
Yeah, the face codes worked in the console version as well. Something did change with the faces from 2 to 3 that really made them look different though.

I haven't yet. I'm getting the Digital Deluxe edition on PC, so there is no hurry to pre-order. I'm just going to wait until March, get 1 month of EA Access, save 10% on my order, and get early access :p

I didn't jump on the amazing CDKeys deal because they usually follow the European release dates from what I've read... And I don't want to wait a few days extra to play because I am(hopefully!) on vacation from the 19th-25th.

diaspora

Face codes are going to be a non-starter on the frostbite titles IMO. If DA:I is anything to go by the sliders are probably too complex with too many variables to use with a sharable string. Being able to export faces/builds to the cloud via an EA account might be doable though I doubt it'll be done.

Yeul

PC release for me with the Digital Deluxe Edition. Those of us who got the PC version maybe we can do play some rounds of the multiplayer together. I haven't played ME3 multiplayer in a while, but I remember having a good time with it.

Being able to export faces/builds to the cloud via an EA account might be doable though I doubt it'll be done.
Yeah, something like that would be great. Games like Spore and various Sims titles let you share things like this through a website... I have a feeling they wouldn't consider it worth the effort required, unfortunately.

diaspora

I'll hold off on making one for now since the game is still 8 weeks away from today unless people want one to facilitate general ME discussion + organize ME3 multi in the meantime.

I decided to redeem a few Christmases worth of Best-Buy gift cards I had saved up for some Xbox/Microsoft currency. Digitally pre-ordered the Super Digital Deluxe version for XB1.

Now it's a wait for the EA Access trial/multiplayer test.

I'm in a semi-temporary living arrangement right now, so I'm trying to decide if I should shell out for a TV so I grab my Xbox from home and play on that, or try to get it to run on my gaming laptop. Would almost certainly look better on the 'bone, but I'd need to buy so much furniture...

Plus side, a massive weight on my budget just vanished, so whichever I do end up getting is gonna be getting the full-on collector's edition treatment :D

I'm down for PC multi. We can start a general Andromeda discord with a lobby for each platform if there's enough interest.

I would be game for that.

Really debating about whether to pick this up...

It looks so pretty... But it's $80 and then there is $35 for shipping to Canada. Too rich for me, I think, especially with the exchange rate.

*sigh*

All this talk in here, guess I'll do one last trilogy playthrough. I think 16 playthroughs is enough by now.

I just finished mine and kind of regret doing it so soon... Now I have 2 months to kill!

ElmarO

Neo Member
I went with the Super Deluxe Edition (PC version). My birthday is a few days after release, so I thought why not treat myself a bit. And I think it is likely I will play the MP quite a bit anyway going by my time spent on the ME3MP.

SaylorMan

Really debating about whether to pick this up...

It looks so pretty... But it's $80 and then there is $35 for shipping to Canada. Too rich for me, I think, especially with the exchange rate.

I just finished mine and kind of regret doing it so soon... Now I have 2 months to kill!

What is it exactly?

SaylorMan

Damn, LE artbook looks good but don't think that'll be coming to New Zealand.

And on that note, I just went to pre-order Andromeda and found out we only have the Standard Edition (physical) here in NZ.
I'm a big fan of collecting cases (favourite series at least) so I was hoping to buy the Deluxe Edition with all the extra goodies only to find out I'd either have to order one in from the US or buy digitally.

I don't have the money to double dip atm, so this is really frustrating...
I'm a bit gutted, I like have all the extra armors and such.
Nobody would have an alternative idea?

Here's whats exclusive to the deluxe edition:
Pathfinder casual outfit
Scavenger armor
Pathfinder Elite weapon set (4)
Pet Pyjak
Digital soundrack
Multiplayer Deluxe Launch Pack

Watching some people play the Multiplayer on PC/XB1 and do it wrong is painful.

Geth Soldier with Avenger instead of Acolyte.
Not enough Harrier for Turians.

But that's ok, because it's entertainment.

Damn, LE artbook looks good but don't think that'll be coming to New Zealand.

And on that note, I just went to pre-order Andromeda and found out we only have the Standard Edition (physical) here in NZ.
I'm a big fan of collecting cases (favourite series at least) so I was hoping to buy the Deluxe Edition with all the extra goodies only to find out I'd either have to order one in from the US or buy digitally.

Pathfinder casual outfit
Scavenger armor
Pet Pyjak
Digital soundrack

Not sure how expensive it is to import stuff into NZ but does Australia carry the Deluxe Physical? That's the only alternative I see. And even then you risk not getting it launch day if that's a big concern for you.

SaylorMan

Didn't even think about Aussie :p I'll look into it.
Getting in on launch day is important, would like have it the day before if I could!

Another thought, my partner is buying digital and I have Xbox sharing on... so that might mean I can just share her DLC?

If anyone has spare codes I would gladly buy them.

Patryn

I'm a little concerned about DLC, actually.

Does anyone know if the exemption Mass Effect has for the VO strike also applies to any potential DLC?

Because otherwise, that might hamper story based stuff unless they're already recorded lines...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'll be going digital deluxe. Super deluxe has terribly warped value; $20 for a bunch of multiplayer booster packs? No thanks.

I'm pretty disappointed there's no true physical deluxe edition like Mass Effect 2 and 3, to be honest. I'm not a fan of mega collectors editions with figurines and statues or whatever, but I really liked the ME2/3 mid tier CEs with the steel case, mini art book, and other goodies. Just seemed like a nice, well presented collectable middleground.

Andromeda doesn't have anything like that. If you want to go physical you're stuck between the standard version or the steel book + remote control car, and I'm not paying AUD $250 or whatever for something that I don't want.

Plasma

Banned
Still not sure which version to get, I could probably run it at 4K on my PC and get a decent framerate though I'm not sure what settings I'd have to drop down to get it running at that resolution. Maybe I'll reinstall Battlefront closer to the time and see what settings I should put it at to get that running at a decent framerate in 4K.

Pathfinder casual outfit
Scavenger armor
Pet Pyjak
Digital soundrack
Honestly, if the last games are anything to go by, you might be able to unlock the singleplayer armor and weapons with a save editor. Then you'd only miss out on the OST, but you probably will be able to buy that later.

Daemul

I'm currently playing through the loyalty missions, and man I've forgotten how good the Renegade/Neutral endings to Jacobs and Garrus' missions were, the Jacob Renegade one especially because it was actually Jacob's idea to have his dad kill himself, which made it even more brutal. I remember when I first realised that Jacob was not so subtlety telling his dad to shoot himself being like

ohhh.png

When I first made the Renegade choice years back I initially thought that we were simply just going to shoot him ourselves, what I got was way better than I expected and made Jacob go up massively in my estimation. The dude acted like a boss and the fact that he came out of that whole clusterfuck psychologically unaffected made him even more badass.

Garrus' LM Neutral/Renegade ending was also damn good though since once Sidonis talked about how guilty he felt and how he sometimes wished things would end, it completely changed the game and turned the whole thing from a simple assassination into a mercy killing. Sidonis even thanks Shepard for allowing him to end it all and die, which had me shook man. Both Garrus and Sidonis got what they wanted though, so it's the best ending to that mission.

After this shit, now I'm off to help Zaeed kill an old enemy of his on Zorya and allow enslaved workers to burn to death in the process lol. Those screams hurt my soul man, but all I have to do is remember Balak and I drown the screams out and march on, some people are so just dangerous that they need to be taken out at all costs. The likes of Balak and Vido Santiago are cancers to the galaxy that need to be removed.

On a happier note, I helped Thane and Miranda reconcile with and save their loved ones today lol. Thus is the life of a morally neutral player, you can go from reuniting families one minute to ruining families the next.

Patryn

Garrus's loyalty mission gets really interesting if you have him kill Dr. Saleon in ME1 but then have him spare Sidonis in ME2.

I was pretty surprised when it one playthrough he called out my hypocrisy.

Do you need to have bought the game if you want to play those 10 hours? Or do you just need to be a subscriber?
Huh... I actually don't know, to be honest. I assumed you'd need to have bought it, but I've never used it before so that would just be a guess.

Edit: Oh, that's good. I guess it would be worthless for people who buy physical copies otherwise.

Well fuck, guess I'm getting origin access for a month then :)

Also, the trial for Dragon Age Inquisition was 6 hours long. Reckon we can infer anything in regards to game length from them giving us 10 hours for Mass Effect Andromeda?

Xando

Well fuck, guess I'm getting origin access for a month then :)

Also, the trial for Dragon Age Inquisition was 6 hours long. Reckon we can infer anything in regards to game length from them giving us 10 hours for Mass Effect Andromeda?

Will be interesting if they limit the trial.

If i remember correct DA:I only was intro + hinterlands

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Sounds like you should play a female PC in each game. BioWare loves to fuck with them. The straight male romances are very straightforward in comparison.

Almost always play female if given the choice. FemShep forever.

EA Access trial is 10 hours! And it starts 5 days before launch. Plenty of time to make your custom Ryder's face, right?

8 hours character customisation.
1.5 hours technical tweaking.
30 minutes to finish the intro/tutorial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom