• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralemont

not me
Still remember my sister's text when Alistair dumped her for being an elf in Origins.

Then in DA2 Fenris turned on her for supporting the mages.

Then in DAI she romanced Iron Bull and kept him loyal to the Qun.

She loves to hate and hates to love BioWare romances at this point, lol.

Edit: I'd be surprised if they went back to generic loot copies like ME1. I think it'll work like ME3 weapons except you can find blueprints out in the wild.

Still remember my sister's text when Alistair dumped her for being an elf in Origins.

Edit: I'd be surprised if they went back to generic loot copies like ME1. I think it'll work like ME3 weapons except you can find blueprints out in the wild.

Hahah I forgot about Alistair. My human noble Warden had it rough with him... For the good of the realm, she pushed him to marry Anora... and in order to save the world, she had to get him to knock Morrigan up. After all that, she still stuck around as his mistress.

Killzig

legit cackling over here reading of your sister's troubles. i hope she romances peebee and the streak continues.

DevilDog

I doubt they will handle it the same way as ME1.

It's insane how much ME1 would have improved if you could upgrade and select your weapons universally, and could sell/delete stuff through a better UI. This is what I want for the remaster.

Mindlog

Top 3 things I would want from a remaster.
1. All powers reworked so they're not just a mess of physics tossing everything around the area.
2. All weapons reworked to be more than model and palette swaps of one another.
3. Bathrooms. The only bathroom in the whole game was on Noveria. My suit can only hold so much.

From Michael Gamble's Twitter. I'm jealous. Dat armour detail.
pgk3a7q.png

That's the title card/image that shows on the xbox dashboard before you launch a game. Pretty sure it's a still from one of those really early trailers from years ago and not necessarily a reflection of what the current in-game level of detail will be.

But yes, tweets from the devs today seem to imply they've got the game more than good to go for launch, with them taking home both Xbox and Playstation versions.

I wonder if there's still wankers out there claiming the game is going to be delayed despite very clear evidence to the contrary.

EDIT:

Some other information that's been revealed today:

EA Access starts March 16th according to the Mass Effect twitter account.
Shoulder swapping for weapons is confirmed to be in the game.
There's a "chance" we might see the character creator before launch (Ie, before the EA Access trial).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Im gonna end up spending the entire access trial sculpting my face ;_;

Have they confirmed if you can fully customize both Ryder siblings? I think I remember some mention of it. One of the cool things about Fallout 4 was being able to choose how both the Husband and Wife looked, even if it didn't really matter in the end lol.

Killzig

Have they confirmed if you can fully customize both Ryder siblings? I think I remember some mention of it. One of the cool things about Fallout 4 was being able to choose how both the Husband and Wife looked, even if it didn't really matter in the end lol.

I think they said you get full chargen for the one you're playing and a more limited set of options for both sibling and father.

If there's one thing I hope they do with the supposed seamless multiplayer/singleplayer system it's ditching this ass-backwards weapon balancing from Mass Effect 3.

Too many weapons are garbage in multiplayer that are both fun to use and useful in singleplayer. The most notable weapons being the Adas Anti-Synthetic rifle and pretty much every SMG and shotgun.

It's not even a small "oh we just tuned the damage down a wee bit" but a "enjoy the 50% nerfed fire-rate, 30% less damage, and completely uncontrollable recoil even with mods".

If you don't use the high-powered Assault rifles or snipers you're literally hurting yourself in MP. I'll never stop using the Cerberus Harrier for that reason alone.

DevilDog

Top 3 things I would want from a remaster.
1. All powers reworked so they're not just a mess of physics tossing everything around the area.

I hope they don't do this. ME1's biotics felt really good because of how natural everything felt. Some numbets could use some changes about thats about it.

They won't change it anyway so whatever.

If there's one thing I hope they do with the supposed seamless multiplayer/singleplayer system it's ditching this ass-backwards weapon balancing from Mass Effect 3.

Too many weapons are garbage in multiplayer that are both fun to use and useful in singleplayer. The most notable weapons being the Adas Anti-Synthetic rifle and pretty much every SMG and shotgun.

It's not even a small "oh we just tuned the damage down a wee bit" but a "enjoy the 50% nerfed fire-rate, 30% less damage, and completely uncontrollable recoil even with mods".

If you don't use the high-powered Assault rifles or snipers you're literally hurting yourself in MP. I'll never stop using the Cerberus Harrier for that reason alone.

My friend, have you heard the good word about the Disciple? Stick that thing on a close-ranged powers character and reap the rewards.

witness

I finished up ME2 play through with Arrival (I never actually played that dlc before) and now started ME3 which I only played through once a couple years ago. So I am looking for advice on the dlc order, specially with Leviathan. I don't remember what I actually did in my other playthrough. I also never bought Omega before, is it worth getting?

diaspora

I finished up ME2 play through with Arrival (I never actually played that dlc before) and now started ME3 which I only played through once a couple years ago. So I am looking for advice on the dlc order, specially with Leviathan. I don't remember what I actually did in my other playthrough. I also never bought Omega before, is it worth getting?
Omega is great imo

Patryn

Omega has excellent combat scenarios, but if you're only in things for the story it's not strictly necessary. I'd rank it well above Arrival, however.

In terms of when to play:

From Ashes: Most people say to play it as soon as it is available because of Javik's insights and having access to him. The only reason I can see someone waiting is so they can bring the Virmire survivor back to Eden Prime, but you lose a lot of Javik for a handful of new lines during the mission.

Omega: Best after Citadel 2 mission. Cerberus makes its big play, so Aria and you make a counter-punch.

Leviathan: Best after Thessia. You've really started looking at history at that point.

Citadel: Best after Horizon/Just before point of no return. Gives you access to the most characters at the party if you did things right. True ending to the game, for me.

Maybe using shotguns, especially ones with tiny ass spread and massive recoil works for you PC users, but using them on anything but bronze difficulty on consoles is just asking for you to waste your teams time.

And before anyone swarms me with a deluge of childish "hurr hurr console plebs" I have no interest in trying to spend another lifetime of effort and money to get my collection of weapons, characters and, equipment back on PC.

Maledict

Maybe using shotguns, especially ones with tiny ass spread and massive recoil works for you PC users, but using them on anything but bronze difficulty on consoles is just asking for you to waste your teams time.

And before anyone swarms me with a deluge of childish "hurr hurr console plebs" I have no interest in trying to spend another lifetime of effort and money to get my collection of weapons, characters and, equipment back on PC.

I used shotguns a lot on certain classes on my 360... :-( never really got into platinum but did gold enough times. I couldn't imagine playing the Geth Infiltrator without a shotgun.

DevilDog

Crusader with Medigel cancel is absolute love. I never ever invest anything to lower the recoil since it's so easy to control on PC. Though there is a limit when I run out of mousepad.

Daemul

What is this I'm reading about Shotguns in MP? Collectively shotguns were the best weapons in MP, with gems like the Wraith, Claymore, Raider, Graal, Crusader and the Reegar fucking Carbine.

I'm not sure what playing on consoles or PC has to do with it, I played on the 360 and Shotguns handled fine, maybe not as well as they could be handled on PC, but they were still the best set of weapons to use, to the extent that many Infiltrators used them over Snipers.

Patryn

This weapon discussion is fascinating because I never carried anything other than either the Vindicator or the Avenger.

I needed that 200 percent cooldown. Guns were my last resort. It was all about Incinerate/Warp.

Bonus points if I had a Sentry and a Turret out firing rockets.

Sai

M-99 Saber's where it's at. Popping skulls everywhere.

... I hope they bring it back in Andromeda. :(

This weapon discussion is fascinating because I never carried anything other than either the Vindicator or the Avenger.

I needed that 200 percent cooldown. Guns were my last resort. It was all about Incinerate/Warp.

Did you ever unlock an N7 Hurricane?

Hell, if anything, sniper rifles are the tough-shit weapon class on console, baring a few exceptions. No slowdown vs. Campaign makes them damn tough to use.

Mindlog

Are you trying to get me to do a power ranking? Cause it will happen again soon. Time for a preview.

Harrier was probably broken tier. I'm not too ashamed to admit that my first Platinum solo was with a Turian Ghost using a Harrier on Giant. However, the Harrier wasn't even the most broken gun in the game. The real most broken gun was the (spoilered so everyone can guess(it's obvious))
Reegar shotgun

ADAS got me the most laughs and hate. I would use it with concussion shot/proximity mine for detonations and adrenaline rush/marksman. I could go an entire match without lifting my finger off the trigger and sometimes I did.

The Talon pistol was very strong. Worked for nearly every character. Collector SMG was perfect for power users. Tempest with marksman was deadly. But this is just the preview.
M-99 Saber's where it's at. Popping skulls everywhere.
lol, Speaking of! I was literally going to mention Sai popping heads in reference to the Saber. Great underrated gun and Sai was just a constant sploosh machine the entire match.
Hell, if anything, sniper rifles are the tough-shit weapon class on console, baring a few exceptions. No slowdown vs. Campaign makes them damn tough to use.
I learned how to snipe
using my then best sniper rifles on Firebase White vs Geth.
Once you get good with quick scope close range headshots on a sniper rifle the rest becomes much easier. Javelin sniping through the whole freaking map always felt great especially when the team was just constantly trying to steal kills from one another.

I remember the N7-Piranha being hellishly overpowered when it came out, but then it was buffed because people complained. That buff was the most baffling. Vindicator nerf is the one I still don't agree with after all this time. Vindicator had a good niche as a lightweight battle rifle. Infiltrator nerf was the one I was most wrong about. Great change there.

Holy crap ME3 MP was and still is great.
Yes, but I never bothered with SMGs.

My motto: If I'm firing a gun I'm doing something REALLY wrong and I need to stop it immediately.
Looking back at ME3 MP combined with this topic. I may have come to realize the biggest reason I don't like the unified power pool. The Collector Adept may be the Apex of Mass Effect power users. All of its powers were very different from one another and functioned very differently. Even within their own evolutions you could change up your playstyle. While other characters were more stronger the Collector Adept had a very unique cadence. The Collector could use a power or two like any other adept, but with proper planning it could really unleash biotic hell. You had to know where the enemies would be, how big the group was and how big the next group would be because using your full arsenal too soon would leave you vulnerable. The Collector is a unified power pool that takes strategy to transform into a character that can mash every power button at the same time and produce results.

witness

Omega has excellent combat scenarios, but if you're only in things for the story it's not strictly necessary. I'd rank it well above Arrival, however.

In terms of when to play:

From Ashes: Most people say to play it as soon as it is available because of Javik's insights and having access to him. The only reason I can see someone waiting is so they can bring the Virmire survivor back to Eden Prime, but you lose a lot of Javik for a handful of new lines during the mission.

Omega: Best after Citadel 2 mission. Cerberus makes its big play, so Aria and you make a counter-punch.

Leviathan: Best after Thessia. You've really started looking at history at that point.

Citadel: Best after Horizon/Just before point of no return. Gives you access to the most characters at the party if you did things right. True ending to the game, for me.

Thank you for the super helpful post, I'll refer to it through my playthrough!

DevilDog

What is this I'm reading about Shotguns in MP? Collectively shotguns were the best weapons in MP, with gems like the Wraith, Claymore, Raider, Graal, Crusader and the Reegar fucking Carbine.

I'm not sure what playing on consoles or PC has to do with it, I played on the 360 and Shotguns handled fine, maybe not as well as they could be handled on PC, but they were still the best set of weapons to use, to the extent that many Infiltrators used them over Snipers.

On PC you could cancel animation on the reload with one small trick, making every weapon reload a lot faster. This made shotguns more powerful. Same for the snipers.

Mindlog

You could reload cancel on 360 as well.
It was a carry over trait from ME2, but using the Widow on Geth/Gold/White really honed it for me.

DevilDog

It was a carry over trait from ME2, but using the Widow on Geth/Gold/White really honed it for me.

The only reliable way I know is with sprinting/taking cover on console. With the medi-gel trick its instantaneous and it doesn't fuck up your positioning.

Daemul

On PC you could cancel animation on the reload with one small trick, making every weapon reload a lot faster. This made shotguns more powerful. Same for the snipers.

The only reliable way I know is with sprinting/taking cover on console. With the medi-gel trick its instantaneous and it doesn't fuck up your positioning.

The medi gel reload cancel method was possible on 360, but was awkward as fuck to try and pull off due to the hand positioning required.

The best way to do it on 360 was just by using one of the power buttons, preferably Y, during cooldown since using A was unreliable on classes who could dodge.

Haha, I remember on my first run of ME3 SP I stuck to the trusty old Avenger since I has no idea what was good and I wanted to keep my 200% cooldown, but as time went on and I jumped into MP I discovered that there were far better weapons that you could use which would still allow you to keep that 200%.

Though tbh, the difference between 170% and 200% cooldown will be negligible on most characters. I can only think of like 3 characters off the top of my head who I would advise to go for the full 200% cooldown.

I just finished my trilogy replay!

This was my first time playing male Shepard, my first time playing any of the ME3 DLC(except Javik which I had when I played it the first time), and my first replay of ME3 since the game came out.

The DLC was all really good, but I loved the tone of Citadel especially. I also liked what Leviathan revealed about the backstory of the Reapers, and Omega had some great moments.

The ending, while disappointing in many ways, actually didn't put me off that much this time. Maybe it's because I knew what I was going into... but I felt like there were a lot of great moments with the crew leading up to it that helped give it the closure it needed.

Now I just need to hope these next 2 month go by quickly.

SliChillax

I just finished my trilogy replay!

This was my first time playing male Shepard, my first time playing any of the ME3 DLC(except Javik which I had when I played it the first time), and my first replay of ME3 since the game came out.

The DLC was all really good, but I loved the tone of Citadel especially. I also liked what Leviathan revealed about the backstory of the Reapers, and Omega had some great moments.

The ending, while disappointing in many ways, actually didn't put me off that much this time. Maybe it's because I knew what I was going into... but I felt like there were a lot of great moments with the crew leading up to it that helped give it the closure it needed.

Now I just need to hope these next 2 month go by quickly.

The ending is really ok now with all the DLC and extended cut. It could have been a lot better but it's not "fuck you Bioware" bad.

But the Geth Infi running the GPS is objectively the best thing ever. Except maybe the GI with a Piranha.

*chompchompchomp*

Sai

I'm hoping that they'll have some kind of numerical values for the positions of each aspect of the character creation, so that appearances can be more easily shared and/or reproduced.

I think the ME games on PC had something like this, right? It's something I really would've appreciated for DA: Origins, and Inquisition.

I'm hoping that they'll have some kind of numerical values for the positions of each aspect of the character creation, so that appearances can be more easily shared and/or reproduced.

I think the ME games on PC had something like this, right? It's something I really would've appreciated for DA: Origins, and Inquisition.

Face codes, yeah. No player-facing per-setting numbers, but it'd generate a code that, if you plugged it into the spot in the character creator, would recreate the face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom