• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Trump to declare January 20th as National Day of Patriotic Devotion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheChaos0

I, DONALD J. TRUMP,

Kono Donaldo da!

tumblr_inline_n4mozeoRm71rmu2zm.jpg

That's so much ego, unreal.

If Trump convinces Theresa May to make this a national holiday in the UK as well it will be the greatest thing ever. The best source of comedy since they changed the name of Marathon bars to Snickers.

So wait, this isn't declaring this for all future January 20ths. This is specifically January 20th, 2017.

It seems like some people are looking at this as if it will apply to anyone else being inaugurated. It won't.

So does that make it better? To me this makes it seem we should all celebrate the day our glorious leader graced us with his presence as our new dictator.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
They're the party of small government like Fox News is fair and balanced. In other words, they're not.

Exactly, they want to restrict the way the people live their lives in every fucking manner. Limiting the freedoms a woman has over her own body, limiting the freedoms a gay couple has with regards to marriage and limiting the freedom of people purely because of the colour of their skin.

"Small government" has always been a fucking lie

I thought that it was obvious considering the many days we have that are devoted to supposedly honoring the troops.
You almost had me too, then I remembered this. I love that his response is channeling something Conway would say.

What dollar denomination do you think he'll put his face on?
I'm thinking the $20. He'll want to be seen more often than most after all.
Be cool if the mint announces they're putting Trump on the penny, then announce a week later that the US will start phasing out the penny.

Sibylus

Banned
This is insanity.

I'm pretty sure I said it before in another Trump thread.

Seriously though.

I think this shit will end up being worse than anyone thought.

I don't know, the people predicting a kleptocratic fascist takeover seem to be right on the money.

KHarvey16

So does that make it better? To me this makes it seem we should all celebrate the day our glorious leader graced us with his presence as our new dictator.

No, it makes it worse. It's entirely ego driven. Having it persist would be more defensible, even if it was still ridiculous.

Ac30

So wait, this isn't declaring this for all future January 20ths. This is specifically January 20th, 2017.

It seems like some people are looking at this as if it will apply to anyone else being inaugurated. It won't.

This is worse imo, he basically created a day honouring himself. Amazing.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Nice work america, you elected an egomaniac to the presidency. I would hope that you guys do something about it but im not holding my breath. This is the sort of thing you see in other countries, you know the really bad ones.

sangreal

disturbing language aside, the idea itself is pretty normal

Bush: https://www.federalregister.gov/doc.../national-day-of-prayer-and-thanksgiving-2001

NOW, THEREFORE, I, GEORGE W. BUSH, President of the United States of America, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim January 21, 2001, a National Day of Prayer and Thanksgiving and call upon the citizens of our Nation to gather together in homes and places of worship to pray alone and together and offer thanksgiving to God for all the blessings of this great and good land.

Obama: http://web.archive.org/web/20170117.../national-day-renewal-and-reconciliation-2009

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim January 20, 2009, a National Day of Renewal and Reconciliation, and call upon all of our citizens to serve one another and the common purpose of remaking this Nation for our new century.

Clinton: https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Proclamation_6525
Now, Therefore, I, William J. Clinton, President of the United States of America, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim January 22, 1993, a National Day of Fellowship and Hope and call upon the citizens of this great Nation to reflect on their obligations to their fellow Americans and look forward to the challenges of the new year with a spirit of hope.

I can't find any before HW

and yes, I realize Trump's has an Orwellian name and a nationalist message. My only point was that it is apparently normal for Presidents to celebrate their own inauguration this way

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
As I wrote in the other thread, if this is just about January 20, 2017 the thing is even crazier. Because it's practically to celebrate specifically his Inauguration Day and to mark it in history as National Day of Patriotic Devotion. Just think about how crazy that sounds.

bengraven

Hey I just remembered: that shit head who was doing the conservative paintings that were memes years ago - has he done a Trump one yet.

jelly

It's like he knows his days are numbered so anything that lives on and strokes his ego after impeachment and the afterlife has to happen. Can this be repealed?

So like, wouldn't this backfire on Trump if he loses reelection or gets kicked out of office?

Wouldn't Trump then be forced to celebrate devotion to someone not him?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom