• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
There hasn't been a trailer that embodies the narrative elevator pitch, and that's the issue. If you've been following the media closely you can extrapolate a decent idea of the narrative from the fragmented bits and pieces across trailers, interviews, and twitter, but people shouldn't have to do this. It's more than just "We go to Andromeda to find a new home". That outlines your starting point, not the narrative beats and journey itself.

Hopefully the next trailer addresses that, as I feel it's what the marketing arm needs. It doesn't need to be long or spoiler filled; I'm sure that content will come. Just a nice elevator pitch of what the drive behind our journey will be, and what conflict we can expect to overcome.

EDIT: As a side, as blockbustery and effective as Mass Effect 2's media was, EA and BioWare's onslaught resulted in an overwhelming majority of content being spoiled. Despite loving the game I remember instantly reflecting upon completion just how few surprises there were due to indulging in all the lead up material. I'd prefer to avoid a repeat of that.

That's fair enough, but you have to acknowledge that what you see as a good trailer is not what the majority of people are looking for. Even in this thread, and the games supporters, generally weren't happy with that trailer.

From looking at youtube... generally speaking, people WERE happy though. I don't think you can really deny that. Don't forget that vocal minority can skew perspective significantly.

Daemul

Damn @ this trailer talk. Y'all are passionate bout this shit haha

Anyway, to go off on my own tangent. After tying up loose ends and completing all the side quests and DLC(with the exception of LotSB and Arrival), I made my way to get the Reaper IFF and then completed Tali's and Legions loyalty missions before the crew got kidnapped.

Bringing Legion on Tali's LM remains just as funny now as it did the first time I did it, the way the Quarians react to him is hilarious. I like how Bioware incorporated him into the mission with the added dialogue options and scenes, they did a good job with that.

But that's enough praise for them, because now it's time to head to the Collector Base and re experience some of the worst writing in the series. The individual squadmate arcs have been mostly alright, but the main story up till now has been on shaky ground, and once we get to the Human Reaper things will fall apart completely.

Shamus Youngs Mass Effect Restrospective on the ME2 Ending Choice covers this shit well. He has a restrospective on the SM and the big bad Human Reaper itself which you can scroll back to, but I refuse to acknowledge the existence of that thing. Some choice parts on the ending choice:

So you shoot the baby Reaper in the face until it falls down and goes boom. Once it's gone, you can access the Collector power core or whatever, and you can either set it to explode, or set it to irradiate all life and leave the technology intact. The Illusive Man wants you to leave the installation so his scientists can study it. But Paragon Shepard objects because...

This place is an abomination?

This is some messed-up superstitious thinking. He seems to be suggesting that learning about our enemy is inherently evil. Your companions also take this position, too. Even #1 Cerberus apologist Miranda suddenly does an abrupt heel-face turn saying, ”I'm not so sure. Seeing it first hand... Using anything from this base seems like a betrayal." And not because of indoctrination, but because of some completely un-articulated principles.

The last game ended with us beginning a quest for knowledge. That idea was wiped away to fight the Collectors. And now at the very end of the game we finally return to the question of ”How do we stop the Reapers from killing us all?" except the narrative frames the acquisition of knowledge as an inherently evil and irresponsible thing. As a fan of sci-fi, I find this idea to be repugnant. The first game gave us a quest for knowledge and the second one is going to follow up with caveman science fiction?

The common defense of this line of thinking is that it's wrong to use research obtained through unethical means. This usually leads into a side-argument about the ethics of using (say) Nazi medial research. While I understand this attempt to bring an interesting philosophical discussion to this videogame, I want to point out that this comparison doesn't work and isn't appropriate here. Shepard doesn't actually articulate a moral or philosophical stand. Moreover, if he wanted to take that stand then he should have done so at the start of the game by refusing to work with Cerberus, who basically have ”Unethical Research" in their mission statement.

On Miranda's out of nowhere 180 turn:

On top of it all, Miranda's turn feels completely unearned. She's been willing to make excuses for everything Cerberus has done. And now she's willing to betray the organization because she draws the line at studying the technology of the machine gods who are trying to kill us? What is her morality even based on?

This might be a nice payoff if she'd spent the entire game gradually becoming more disillusioned with her employer and questioning her loyalty. That would actually make a fantastic character arc. But she's never budged. Even when confronted with the horror of the research station where Cerberus tortured children to make a better biotic, she was adamant that those guys were only a rogue cell and that Cerberus had nothing to apologize for. She never had a crisis of faith moment. She's never confided to Shepard that she's having doubts. And then we get to this choice and all of a sudden she goes full paragon when the fate of the galaxy is on the line.

This one especially pisses me off, because we have Miranda going from willing to die on a hill to defend Cerberus' involvement in murder and child abuse, to the point where she even antagonised Jack about it in their argument on the ship, to her suddenly turning on them for nonsensical reasoning. Like seriously what the fuck?

I made a huge mistake in re-reading the retrospective before I had replayed the Suicide Mission and completed the game, because now I'm getting angry.

I'm gonna calm my ass down by checking the sports scores before I give myself a brain hemorrhage.
why.png

Mindlog

I kept the base without even flinching. My Shepard turned it over to Alliance brass (which in turn returned it to Cerberus because Cerberus is still secretly part of the Alliance.)

But my pragmatist headcanon Shepard lives in a different ME Universe.

In that Universe Ashley never used high heels in combat.

Maledict

In my me games Miranda turning always made sense because over the course of the game she slowly turns away from being a Cerberus cheer leader, and I help her sort out the issue with her sister when no-one else would.

As for the choice to destroy the base - well yes? It's purpose is to render down species into goo to power reaper ships. It's based and built on reaper technology, and we've already seen what happens when we go messing around in their tech earlier in the game. I wouldn't trust anyone with the technology to turn sentient beings into weapons of destruction.

I think the design of the end baddy is silly and stupid, but I think the author of that article is reaching for things to complain about at this stage. Also his sentence about being a sci-fi Fan and finding the idea of destroying the base 'repugnant' is pure hyperbolic idiocy. For one thing, he hasn't read much sci-fi if he's never encountered a story about alien technology being too dangerous for humanity to possess.

DevilDog

I kept the base without even flinching. My Shepard turned it over to Alliance brass (which in turn returned it to Cerberus because Cerberus is still secretly part of the Alliance.)

But my pragmatist headcanon Shepard lives in a different ME Universe.

In that Universe Ashley never used high heels in combat.

You gave it to Cerberus immediately. I think?

As for the choice to destroy the base - well yes?

I get what you're saying but maybe you should keep it, you shouldn't forget that we have no way of beating the reapers. Cause Mass Effect 2 forgot for sure.

I think the "it's an abomination" angle is kinda dumb, but fundamentally trying to keep the base is stupid as hell considering the track record fucking around with Reaper tech has.

Just say no to ancient mindwarping supertechnology y'all.

And yeah, this is one of the many failings of ME2's plot. The writing is unquestionably brilliant, but Jesus Christ the plot.

Maledict

Yep, that's my point. By this point in the series, two games in, all we've seen is that reaper tech causes significantly bad things to happen to anyone messing with it. Both ME1 and ME2 stress this at every single encounter. Hell, I half expected the Thanix cannon to go haywire on us.

The idea that suddenly this massive base that is also the graveyard of literally thousands of thousands of murdered people, that turns corpses into reaper ships, is safe to explore and utilise just goes contrary to everything the series tells about the reapers and their tech.

DevilDog

For all my negativity, Andromeda is still my most-wanted game of 2017 and I do have faith it'll turn out great. I eagerly look forward to the next trailer.

I feel like the only thing propelling me to like Andromeda is my own love of Mass Effect. Nothing they've shown really makes it easy for me to get excited.

Mass Effect 2 was launched on this date 7 years ago. Definitely puts things into perspective on how far things have come.

And of course Andromeda launches on the eve of Mass Effect 3's 5 year anniversary as well.

I feel old.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mass Effect 2 was launched on this date 7 years ago. Definitely puts things into perspective on how far things have come.

And of course Andromeda launches on the eve of Mass Effect 3's 5 year anniversary as well.

I feel old.

On November 16th Mass Effect will be a decade old.

ViciousDS

Banned
That's fair enough, but you have to acknowledge that what you see as a good trailer is not what the majority of people are looking for. Even in this thread, and the games supporters, generally weren't happy with that trailer.

I would honestly just love a standard 20 minute gameplay walk through with no editing......it shouldn't be that hard.

Hopefully we get like an IGN first or something here in the next month

I would honestly just love a standard 20 minute gameplay walk through with no editing......it shouldn't be that hard.

Hopefully we get like an IGN first or something here in the next month
I'm almost positive that someone(Shinobi probably?) said they would be doing an IGN first.

EatChildren

shinobi has stated it'll be an ign feature or whatever, and aaryn has said a 10 - 15 minute unbroken gameplay sequence showing a good vertical slice of play (eg: starting on tempest, talking to squadmates, travelling to a planet, flying down, getting out, exploring, fighting) is coming at some point too

Patryn

Personally, I wonder how many people will have their minds changed by a cinematic trailer, simply because it's so easy to dismiss it as not being gameplay (insert face.gif here, basically).

That being said, I'd love the tone of the conversation of the game to turn here on GAF, but at this point I don't think any modern Bioware game will ever get a positive vocal reception. Too many people just love to rip their games to shreds.

diaspora

Personally, I wonder how many people will have their minds changed by a cinematic trailer, simply because it's so easy to dismiss it as not being gameplay (insert face.gif here, basically).

That being said, I'd love the tone of the conversation of the game to turn here on GAF, but at this point I don't think any modern Bioware game will ever get a positive vocal reception. Too many people just love to rip their games to shreds.
it's nice to want things

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I hope today's trailer will give us a good idea of the overall story. Show us the main bad guy(s), the starting crew, what will be our goal other than finding a new "Earth". Because I'm sure that plan will be scrapped pretty early.... i don't know, just a feeling.

N7 cinematic trailer barely told us anything except "bad shit happens, stay tuned for what that exactly means!".

Lt-47

Expecting anythings other than even more skepticism and nitpicking from GAF after the trailer hit sounds likes the best way to be disappointed

prag16

Banned

It's like that for almost everything these days here. Maybe with the exception of Naughty Dog or possibly Rockstar to an extent. Everything else has various very vocal minorities that do a ton of shitting and concern trolling. Actually not even ND is immune. In a recent Lost Legacy thread a group was shitting relentlessly on UC4 (while it was winning GoTY here simultaneously).

It is the way of things.

EatChildren

I love shitting on Naughty Dog. It's my favourite.

Tbh, excepting Rockstar and ND (and some days Valve), GAF treats all devs pretty terribly, even when they're posting here. At some point the perfectly legitimate right to criticize became a license to indiscriminately throw shit. I wish we had more devs who actively post here.

ViciousDS

Banned
I'm almost positive that someone(Shinobi probably?) said they would be doing an IGN first.

shinobi has stated it'll be an ign feature or whatever, and aaryn has said a 10 - 15 minute unbroken gameplay sequence showing a good vertical slice of play (eg: starting on tempest, talking to squadmates, travelling to a planet, flying down, getting out, exploring, fighting) is coming at some point too

yyyyuuussssssssssssssss

DevilDog

Naughty dog is not even worth discussing. Neither is Rockstar. What could you possibly say about these 2 companies? They make technically stellar games and everything else is average, and if its good it's ripped off from something else. They don't try, they're not creating anything new, they're boring af.
And that's fine, there is a place for companies like these.

But Bioware always raises the bar in some category, from art to gameplay to story to save transfers, but because they're pioneers they make mistakes, which the community uses to tear them to shreds.
Honestly, I hope they keep being creative and trying out new things, even if they make mistakes.

And I'd put Valve in the same category, every one of their franchises is so unique, so much fun but so well polished.

Yes. Neither Naughty Dog nor Rockstar have ever innovated. Compared to Bioware, the inventor of the open world RPG, they truly are nothing.

/s

Caboose

Naughty dog is not even worth discussing. Neither is Rockstar. What could you possibly say about these 2 companies? They make technically stellar games and everything else is average, and if its good it's ripped off from something else. They don't try, they're not creating anything new, they're boring af.

But Bioware always raises the bar in some category, from art to gameplay to story to save transfers, but because they're pioneers they make mistakes, which the community uses to tear them to shreds.
Honestly, I hope they keep being creative and trying out new things, even if they make mistakes.

And I'd put Valve in the same category, every one of their franchises is so unique, so much fun but so well polished.

Fuck am I reading.

ViciousDS

Banned
It's like that for almost everything these days here. Maybe with the exception of Naughty Dog or possibly Rockstar to an extent. Everything else has various very vocal minorities that do a ton of shitting and concern trolling. Actually not even ND is immune. In a recent Lost Legacy thread a group was shitting relentlessly on UC4 (while it was winning GoTY here simultaneously).

It is the way of things.

outside hinterlands......I liked Inquisition

prag16

Banned

Yes. Neither Naughty Dog nor Rockstar have ever innovated. Compared to Bioware, the inventor of the open world RPG, they truly are nothing.

tenor.gif

I'm thinking the first post is serious (but kind of bs at least in the case of ND; Rockstar I'm a LOT less impressed with than the gaf average opinion) while the second post is a joke poking fun at the first post. But it's hard to tell sometimes.

JeffG

I've watched all the trailers and shit but it still kinda I feels like I know nothing. I think I'd be fine with going into this game blind

This.

I don't have an issue with the lack of media material, but I do understand I am in the minority.

They don't need to sell it to me. I already bought it.

I'm thinking the first post is serious (but kind of bs at least in the case of ND; Rockstar I'm a LOT less impressed with than the gaf average opinion) while the second post is a joke poking fun at the first post. But it's hard to tell sometimes.

That's kinda sad, isn't it?

And you are right, by the way, in regard to my post.

Why is it bs? ND is the white noise of creativity. With very, very few exceptions.

I still like their games though.

The white noise of creativity. What does that mean?

This.

I don't have an issue with the lack of media material, but I do understand I am in the minority.

They don't need to sell it to me. I already bought it.
yes, because this is mass effect.

for previous gaming franchises that I was new to I did watch some stuff to get into it, but since Me2's always gonna have a special place in my
fuckin cold and black
heart, i'm getting the next ME game no matter how much I hated Me3.

especially on Gaf I feel like the reaction to the released content has been kinda mixed, I might as well just not pay attention to it and play the game when it comes out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom