• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killzig

Mystery Angaran squadmate #6 still has no name though, unless I missed something.

6ZZz1Dm.png

big pink bunny with a monocle. kind of neat. maybe i should have dropped some acid for this.

Retrofluxed

The hot take, drive by shit posts are infecting all Neogaf threads lately. They offer nothing of value and just drive the thread off course.

This trailer is exactly what I wanted to see and gave me actual chills. I can't wait to get to know the squad. Looks like a very cool bunch.

I'm sure this will rustle some jimmies here since everyone seems to hate Cerberus but people are already drawing a connection between Cora Harper and Jack Harper (The Illusive Man).

Oh no, that'd be a final nail in the coffin of MEA for me.

Would it though? At worst it's a tongue in cheek reference and nothing more. Alternatively she says she's never met her real father and again, it doesn't go beyond that.

Seems like a really dumb reason to not play the game.

big pink bunny with a monocle. kind of neat. maybe i should have dropped some acid for this.
i definitely wanna be on some drugs when i play this game lol
The overwhelming negativity in the Gaming threads is a bit frustrating. I need to just stop reading them.
ovewhelming negativity? it seems more mixed than largely negative from the looks of it. or are you talking particularly about the reaction to this new trailer?
The hot take, drive by shit posts are infecting all Neogaf threads lately. They offer nothing of value and just drive the thread off course.

This trailer is exactly what I wanted to see and gave me actual chills. I can't wait to get to know the squad. Looks like a very cool bunch.
haters will hate, man. i think if anything they're just being cautious with their optimism.
Same here.
is that an overwatch avatar?

ViciousDS

Banned
Trailer was solid.....didn't do too much to derail me.

But is it me or does Bioware need some better way of facial capture? It seems behind even a game like Infamous Second Son released 3 years ago.

Looking forward to playing as the female lead though.....I wonder if we will play
the dad in the first 30 minutes of the game or so

Have they said if there are going to be any missions/quests where a certain squad member is mandatory (like Thessia in ME3)?

I can't see the trailer while at work but I like the squad designs. Looking forward to most of the characters, though I still have my irrational "meh" feeling about PeeBee.

Jien Garson has been distinctly absent from any of the story or marketing materials beyond the initial briefing videos.

Is the implication that she's dead or missing? Will this be revealed in the book Nexus Uprising?

Retrofluxed

haters will hate, man. i think if anything they're just being cautious with their optimism.

Well, you can call it that. I call it shit posting by trying to say something #savage so the poster can then be rewarded with pages and pages of deadpinocchio.jpg, laughingjordan.gif and reckt.gif with no other input whatsoever.

For example, how does a post saying "It looks uninspired" add anything to the conversion? What is uninspired about it? Or the "Mass Effect: Inquisition" posts. What makes the game remind them of Inquisition? Elaborate.

Yeul

Just watched the trailer and the new AI video. Definitely gave a tone I liked. I still think Alec is the most interesting character - he seems so cool, but I also really love my dad so I'm projecting lmao. I appreciated the little blurbs of information in the AI video as well. Alec's interest in AI technology is intriguing and I find SAM being the explanation for enhancements as well as having a personal connection to the Ryder family very clever. As far as the other squadmates go, it's just one of those things that I'll appreciate once I have my hands on the game. Here's hoping for character creator information soon as well.

SliChillax

I loved the trailer until the bad guy started making the typical cheesy threats in english, in english ffs!! After watching the movie Arrival I hate the fact that they travel 600 years into another galaxy, not even another cluster but another fucking galaxy and the enemy still speaks english. Everything else I absolutely loved. Bring it on EA

Garlador

No, I mean overall, but the most recent thread is certainly taking it to a new level.

I think it's naive to assume that confirmation bias of Bioware negativity following rather divisive moments in ME3 and DA:I would simply vanish after a minute and a half trailer.

These type of complaints will linger either indefinitely from those that don't even bother to play the game, or until the get their hands on it and it's good enough to offset their initial poor impressions.

I mean, I was right there with them as recently as yesterday. I'm a character-driven person in my Mass Effect playthroughs, so combat and menu screens don't do it for me nearly as much as seeing and getting a feel for my squadmates.

This wasn't perfect, but it certainly went a long way for me.

For someone else, they may just have to get their hands on it to form a real opinion.

I loved the trailer until the bad guy started making the typical cheesy threats in english, in english ffs!! After watching the movie Arrival I hate the fact that they travel 600 years into another galaxy, not even another cluster but another fucking galaxy and the enemy still speaks english. Everything else I absolutely loved. Bring it on EA
To be fair, they may not be speaking "English". Very few of the aliens in Mass Effect 1-3 did. They spoke their native language and your implant translator did the rest.

I'm sure they'll have some quirky way to explain it, like your AI assistant SAM finding a Rosetta Stone of their language or something.

Daemul

Dad Ryder is a brave man for breaking numerous Council laws by creating an AI.

I'm sure this will rustle some jimmies here since everyone seems to hate Cerberus but people are already drawing a connection between Cora Harper and Jack Harper (The Illusive Man).

Jack Harper + Eva Core. Yeah, I've seen that too.

I knew that the last name Harper rang a few bells.

I would actually be ok with this tbh. It's a very interesting backstory.

The daughter of the Illusive Man who was raised by Asari Commandos?

... Could get interesting.

TIM banged a couple of Asari Matriachs, he probs left her with one of them lol

ObsidianG

Well, you can call it that. I call it shit posting by trying to say something #savage so the poster can then be rewarded with pages and pages of deadpinocchio.jpg, laughingjordan.gif and reckt.gif with no other input whatsoever.

For example, how does a post saying "It looks uninspired" add anything to the conversion? What is uninspired about it? Or the "Mass Effect: Inquisition" posts. What makes the game remind them of Inquisition? Elaborate.

That's a fair point: not to imply that every gaming thread has to be absurdly positive or negative (no game is going to be loved by everyone), but at least taking the time to elaborate on one's opinion, even if it is not compulsory, would go along way on not derailing the thread. I guess this is just a sign of the times we live in.

I'd still like to know if the music in the trailer is part of the games soundtrack or just another stockalbum of trailer music drawn from the interwebs.

Because the music for the trailer was awesome.

prag16

Banned
*Looks at thread in general*

So much for being optimistic, Shinobi :/ Apparently the game now looks "plastic" too.

Yeah, I abandoned thread without commenting early on. I'd rather just discuss stuff here.

I liked the trailer. Combined with the new Andromeda Initiative video, it was a good day. I don't need to see anything else. Bring on the launch.

Garlador

Reposting from the other thread.

From most impressions, since we're the "alien invaders" to his world, I'm curious how "evil" the main villain truly is. We just pop up, start talking over "garden worlds", settling the areas without care or concern, and then realize "oh crap, there were people already here."

So, er, he might not be as "evil" as we think.

I'm curious if this will indeed be the case.

Reposting from the other thread.

From most impressions, since we're the "alien invaders" to his world, I'm curious how "evil" the main villain truly is. We just pop up, start talking over "garden worlds", settling the areas without care or concern, and then realize "oh crap, there were people already here."

So, er, he might not be as "evil" as we think.

I'm curious if this will indeed be the case.
Yes, the Archon's motives aren't necessarily "evil".

Worth pointing out that supposedly Cora was to be Alec Ryder's successor as Pathfinder. I wonder if your character being promoted instead is a massive area of contention with her?

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
1. Love the new trailer, Cora is waifu #1.

2. Dig the new briefing, Alec Ryder looks like he gives 0 fucks.

3. Prediction: ARK Hyperion goes missing, marooned and the Tempest is trying to find it....I don't think Alec Ryder dies off the bat, I just think he's MIA along with the marooned ship that's rapidly losing power (crashed from the cover art?).

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Were I her I'd assume some real hardcore nepotism is taking place.

...or they find out she's a Cerberus Operative working for her papa, and that gets her demoted to, something.... (lost train of thought) XD

I'm OK with her being TIM's daughter though, just for the record.

Daemul

The more I think about it, the more I love the idea of Cora being TIM's daughter. I've always generally agreed with Cerberus' motives, but their methods were stupid, leading to them causing more harm and bringing more death to the Human race than any of the other races they're supposedly defending us from ever did. There's better ways to achieve your goals than turning colonies into Thorian Creepers and Husks ffs.

If Bioware decide to make Cora create a moderate version of Cerberus in Andromeda which doesn't go full retard like the stupid evil version her speculated father oversaw did, I would happily join her.

Fuck, the thought of this shit has got me hype now. Bioware pls.

DevilDog

Oh thank god.

If they do it, well so much for leaving the baggage behind. I wouldn't be surprised if Mac can't let go.

The more I think about it, the more I love the idea of Cora being TIM's daughter. I've always generally agreed with Cerberus' motives, but their methods were stupid, leading to them causing more harm and bringing more death to the Human race than any of the other races they're supposedly defending us from ever did. There's better ways to achieve your goals than turning colonies into Thorian Creepers and Husks ffs.

If Bioware decide to make Cora create a moderate version of Cerberus in Andromeda which doesn't go full retard like the stupid evil version her speculated father oversaw did, I would happily join her.

Fuck, the thought of this shit has got me hype now. Bioware pls.
I want a Mass Effect were I can finally pretend Cerberus doesn't exist. Why do we need to keep reminded of that failure. Transmit the ME3 endings to Andromeda while we're at it.

Patryn

Hmmm.

It's a pretty trailer, but nothing that really blew me away. Still Day 1, but I just want to get my hands on the game.

Also I called it. But if you want really negative GAF, wait until the next Dragon Age gets announced. That thread will have so much acid, it'll burn to the center of the Earth. A very vocal minority hates Bioware and they will dominate any major Gaming thread.

Don't expect the official thread to be any better until a week or so after release.

Bubble

Neo Member
Man, whenever I look at the picture of the Angaran squadmate, I can't help but notice that the alien to his right looks like a Twi'lek from Star Wars.

SliChillax

Hmmm.

It's a pretty trailer, but nothing that really blew me away. Still Day 1, but I just want to get my hands on the game.

Also I called it. But if you want really negative GAF, wait until the next Dragon Age gets announced. That thread will have so much acid, it'll burn to the center of the Earth. A very vocal minority hates Bioware and they will dominate any major Gaming thread.

Don't expect the official thread to be any better until a week or so after release.
Neogaf has a very toxic community, the comments at r/masseffect are so much more calm and positive.

Neogaf has a very toxic community, the comments at r/masseffect are so much more calm and positive.

Indeed, been spending a lot more time there recently. It's refreshing to have a place that just discusses stuff, speculates on information, and otherwise just shares funny and interesting Mass Effect things.

Yeul

Tbh I tend to notice that sentiments get worse the further from release. The hype dies down and people dissect the game leading to a lot of dog piling. Not to say that threads can't be beneficial in discussing what can be done better/legitimate critique, but that's just the trend I see, personally.

Maledict

So, I'm definitely happier with the trailer. It showed story and narrative and characters. Much improved. Enemy design looks cool as well, and different to the collectors / geth / reapers which is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom