• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I continue to make the mistake of glancing at the comments section for these trailers.

w6qcnrhtnzp7boo0sn7u.png

They can be sad little people in their isolated corners on launch day and I'll be over here enjoying the "SJW pandering cuckfest" (according to them). Anything BioWare can do to continue pissing these people off is fine by me.

Patryn

Definitely, definitely character creation process.

I need to see the horrible lighting that will inevitable lead to me restarting the game seven times because the face I make looks terrible in normal lighting.

So what else do you guys think you'd want to see before launch?
The 15 minute gameplay demo, hopefully showing some weapon customization somewhere in there. I just want to be sure that if I stick something on my gun, it shows up in game.

I'm probably not going to get a PC multiplayer demo outside of EA Access (if that's even going to support that), but I would appreciate it too.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
The more I think about it, the more I'm down with Cora being TIM's daughter.

I know Cerberus cops a lot of flak, but after re-reading Mass Effect: Evolution, it makes sense and feels, I dunno, good.

She's easily my favourite reveal so far: stunning AF.....definitely my LI at this stage.

Renekton

Not for me personally but maybe they can get around to confirming if Quarians are in the game or not and put the question to rest so that we don't have to see "where's muh tali and Quarian friends" for the millionth time.

It still amazes me that there's such a collosal remnant of fans leftover from the BSN days. I'll never understand it.
1ieuat.jpg

X-Frame

I just watched the Andromeda Initiative videos again and seriously I can't believe how amazing they are. By far my favorite ME:A pre-release content. I'm extremely psyched for the remaining 2.

How often do these release? Every 3 weeks? So 3 more weeks and then the week of release?

prag16

Banned
I will never understand the Quarian obsession within the fan base. I guess it 95% revolves around Tali, and almost everything about her was fingernails on a chalkboard for me, so yeah..

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
So what else do you guys think you'd want to see before launch?

I would love to see:

* More on Alec Ryder, since I am convinced him/Hyperion are just missing, he's not dead IMO

* A bit more scope of the AI fleet and what the other races have brought with them: do we have STG on board the Salarian ARK? What armaments/fighters are tucked away on the ARKs and Nexus? - we know there's a Krogan ship there somewhere that goes missing, surely those guys brought some missle launchers on a ship?

* A full vertical slice (Mr Flynn's confirmed one), can't wait for this!

* More insight on the Kett/Archon, nothing too deep: just some motivations and such: how evil/antag are they really, or are we the bad ones here?

* Some more guns/abilities shown off, really want my beloved Eviscerator and Locust up in there if possible (pls, based BioWare) :D

* More Jaal, Cora and Liam: fantastic additions to the crew, bravo BioWare, bravo.

24 pages before someone posted that stupid disarm gif in the trailer thread. I suppose that's progress.

Looking forward to that IGN information bonanza soon.

dr_rus

Would it though? At worst it's a tongue in cheek reference and nothing more. Alternatively she says she's never met her real father and again, it doesn't go beyond that.

Seems like a really dumb reason to not play the game.

Decision to play or not will come based off reviews, not trailers obviously. But so far the more they show of the game - the less I want to actually buy it.

Tovarisc

24 pages before someone posted that stupid disarm gif in the trailer thread. I suppose that's progress.

Looking forward to that IGN information bonanza soon.

And? What is your point? It looks extremely stupid with arm movement and shit eating grin, but same time devs admitted that animation set is WIP and people know that.

And? What is your point? It looks extremely stupid with arm movement and shit eating grin.
Because it's pointless. In Andromeda threads since the TGAs, people would post that GIF without any context, just post it and leave. What purpose does it serve other than to be a driveby shitpost?

Tovarisc

Because it's pointless. In Andromeda threads since the TGAs, people would post that GIF without any context, just post it and leave. What purpose does it serve other than to be a driveby shitpost?

Why you left last half of my sentence out? Makes my post look way more negative than it was.

In case of cinematic thread and that GIF, I'm not 100% sold on idea that it was meant as shitpost. It was put into reply talking about how BW has every another trailer as MaleRyder and every another as FemRyder. That GIF is from trailer that had FemRyder.

Could done without that hashtag tho.

Why you left last half of my sentence out? Makes my post look way more negative than it was.

In case of cinematic thread and that GIF, I'm not 100% sold on idea that it was meant as shitpost. It was put into reply talking about how BW has every another trailer as MaleRyder and every another as FemRyder. That GIF is from trailer that had FemRyder.

Could done without that hashtag tho.
Well, because what the devs said isn't relevant to the reason why some post it. There's a strong vocal minority that take any opportunity to shit on a Bioware game, likely don't even buy them to begin with.

And I wasn't speaking only about the most recent thread. It's happened in others with no point. I guarantee it will be posted multiple times in the OT.

Are we really going to argue that posting that GIF every two seconds is anything but drive-by shitposting? I mean great, that one guy used it to prove that the last trailer we got was with Sarah. Doesn't change the oodles of other times people dropped a GIF-shaped deuce and left.

You know, all I'm hoping is that all this incessant and uncalled for negativity doesn't impact Bioware as a studio, and their ability to make their games.

Tovarisc

Well, because what the devs said isn't relevant to the reason why some post it. There's a strong vocal minority that take any opportunity to shit on a Bioware game, likely don't even buy them to begin with.

And I wasn't speaking only about the most recent thread. It's happened in others with no point. I guarantee it will be posted multiple times in the OT.

If it becomes meme of OT while animation set quality has improved in final product then yeah, it's shitpost with attempt to bait people. If end product has same quality of animations then it's what it's, would look off and ridiculous in contrast to rest of games graphical presentation but eh.

Even now some may use it as bait, not denying that. I just think that in this case it was less bait / shitposting and more just adding to the point. Hashtag maybe pushed it tho.

You know, all I'm hoping is that all this incessant and uncalled for negativity doesn't impact Bioware as a studio, and their ability to make their games.

Game studios by large have to deal with negative feedback and views on their games. In case of BW I don't think it has had any major impact on studios direction or morale. For better of worse (depending who you ask) they have been consistent with their game designs and direction for some time now.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
That trailer is one of those ones that's got secrets all over the show hidden in plain site, and a crew that really grows on you after each watch: it's quite odd, in a great way.

The Cora->TIM connection, Hyperion marooning and Alec harper's time-context sensitive narration makes for deep speculation for everyone.

I'm saying this now, Alec's missing along with the Hyperion, marooned, and it's one of our main missions as Pathfinder to find and restore power/mobility to the human ARK.

#prediction
#rememberthehyperion

prag16

Banned
Even now some may use it as bait, not denying that. I just think that in this case it was less bait / shitposting and more just adding to the point. Hashtag maybe pushed it tho.

It was 100% a shit post, unequivocally. He could have said "Sarah Ryder was the focus in the previous trailer" and/or linked the trailer but he didn't; he dropped trow and crapped that gif into the topic, with the hashtag. It was a very thinly veiled shitpost.

speculation for everyone.

Triggered. -_-

Patryn

If the TIM/Cora connection is real, I'm super fucking disappointed.

TIM and Cerberus need to be shoved aside and never, ever, ever mentioned again.

prag16

Banned

I'm willing to reserve judgement until we know how it fits into the overall story. If it ONLY seems to be in there so that Mac can whip it out and shoot some Cerberus ropes then yeah that's stupid. But if it adds something compelling to her character or the story, even if minor, then I'm fine with it.

DevilDog

I'm willing to reserve judgement until we know how it fits into the overall story. If it ONLY seems to be in there so that Mac can whip it out and shoot some Cerberus ropes then yeah that's stupid. But if it adds something compelling to her character or the story, even if minor, then I'm fine with it.

Just saying the word Cerberus triggers my PTSD. Everything comes back, the abadoned reaper, the revival, everything.

It doesn't have to be this wayyy

Maledict

The thing that really pushed me over the edge with Cerberus was the Sur'Kesh mission. Somehow Cerberus land an large assault team on the middle of a top secret scientific base on the homeworld of the most paranoid and prepared species in the galaxy? Whose entire stick is 'we know what everyone is doing and have plans and preparations for every single event years in advance'.

(Never mind the fact Cerberus wouldn't know about what was happening, or care that much!). So fucking stupid.

Ralemont

not me

Depends how they'd do it. It's possible for it to be a cool series tie-in without Cerberus ever really being the focus. For example, I think it'd be interesting for Cora to be self-aware that she is basically on a pro-human colonization mission, and have her reflect on how she's going about it compared to how her father went about his pro-human activities. Hell TIM or Cerberus doesn't even need to be mentioned by name: "My father ran an asshole human supremecist group. How can I promote humanity's interests without falling into the same patterns?" type of thing.

Anyway possibly premature speculation.

DevilDog

We said 'fuck Cerberus.'

They replied 'Now you can.'

Miranda?

Depends how they'd do it. It's possible for it to be a cool series tie-in without Cerberus ever really being the focus. For example, I think it'd be interesting for Cora to be self-aware that she is basically on a pro-human colonization mission, and have her reflect on how she's going about it compared to how her father went about his pro-human activities. Hell TIM or Cerberus doesn't even need to be mentioned by name: "My father ran an asshole human supremecist group. How can I promote humanity's interests without falling into the same patterns?" type of thing.

Anyway possibly premature speculation.

No matter how they do it, you will still remember the failures of Cerberus in the back of your head..
The point of andromeda is to get a clean slate, away from all the mistakes the OT made.

And? What is your point? It looks extremely stupid with arm movement and shit eating grin, but same time devs admitted that animation set is WIP and people know that.

I think you misunderstood me. My point was that people were shitposting that gif all over the place weeks ago and now it's barely showing up. A good thing.

This has probably already been brought up, but I rewatched all the Andromeda Initiative videos and just realized that we won't be exploring the entire Andromeda galaxy, just a cluster located within it - which I think is pretty neat. I was wondering how they would travel throughout Andromeda without the Mass Relays or if there was something comparable in Andromeda, but if it's just one cluster, that makes sense that the drives on the ships would be enough.

I'd be fine if it came out that Cora is related to TIM in some way... But it needs to stay as part of her backstory and not act as a vehicle for introducing Cerberus sleeper agents into the Andromeda galaxy.

diaspora

Exploring the whole galaxy- one significantly bigger than ours without Mass Relays seems like a non-starter. Also unnecessary, plenty of planets in a single cluster anyway.

You can probably bet they'll discover a way to travel farther or build their own Mass Relays between the end of this game and the next.

Otherwise you end up starting a homeworld for nothing if you can barely leave it without taking forever to get back.

Tovarisc

This has probably already been brought up, but I rewatched all the Andromeda Initiative videos and just realized that we won't be exploring the entire Andromeda galaxy, just a cluster located within it - which I think is pretty neat. I was wondering how they would travel throughout Andromeda without the Mass Relays or if there was something comparable in Andromeda, but if it's just one cluster, that makes sense that the drives on the ships would be enough.

Which also brings up questions for future titles. Like how we are going to move between clusters without Relays, after all races don't have know how to replicate that tech? Using Arks would be somewhat unpractical if intention was to explore and relay data back to Origin Cluster without delay of tens if not hundreds of years.

Maledict

You can probably bet they'll discover a way to travel farther or build their own Mass Relays between the end of this game and the next.

Otherwise you end up starting a homeworld for nothing if you can barely leave it without taking forever to get back.

I didn't think the aim was to have contact with the Milky Way? Thought the entire thing was about a completely new start, and that whilst others may come later on it wasn't intended as a colony linked back to earth but more of a shot in the dark that stands on its own?

I didn't think the aim was to have contact with the Milky Way? Thought the entire thing was about a completely new start, and that whilst others may come later on it wasn't intended as a colony linked back to earth but more of a shot in the dark that stands on its own?

Wasn't talking about the Milky Way. Just that if they set up a homeworld in the Helius Cluster there's no reasonable way they can explore further into Andromeda without abandoning contact to the homeworld. Eventually the distances become too great and it prohibits things like trade.

Which is why I believe they'll find or build mass relay like things to keep the explored areas of Andromeda connected.

Tovarisc

I honestly hope Cerberus isn't part of this game.

Why not? I mean sure they mostly were faceless swarm of target dummies to shoot at in gauntlets, but storylines that involved Illusive Man were actually interesting. If Cerberus were to come back in MEA with leader close to what IM was it could be very good side narrative.

Also I'm surprised if whole Andromeda Initiative wasn't influenced by Illusive Man from the get go. He was driven with desire to advance and secure future of humanity, creating something like Andromeda Initiative with goal of guaranteeing survival on human race is right in his wheelhouse. After all, program was founded and launched during ME2 timeline when survival of Milky Way was in question.

Hell they have AI('s) that sound a lot like 2.0 of EDI, which was Cerberus creation.

Which also brings up questions for future titles. Like how we are going to move between clusters without Relays, after all races don't have know how to replicate that tech? Using Arks would be somewhat unpractical if intention was to explore and relay data back to Origin Cluster without delay of tens if not hundreds of years.

Yea, it will be interesting to see how future titles are handled. By my estimate, going off the ~12 light years per day given for the Tempest in one of the videos, it would take close to 50 years just to cross Andromeda.

I actually think it's kinda smart to keep the game localized to a single cluster. I'm sure there will still be more than enough places to visit and explore, and it gives them options for a sequel to either stay focused in that one area, or expand to other parts of the galaxy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom