• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Game Time Machine: E3 1995: The inaugural show

aparisi2274

Hi All..

This past weekend I was going through some old tapes in my attic trying to clean up and make room and I came across a video I took from E3 1995, which happened to be the very first E3. This video has all 3 big keynote addresses from Sega (surprise Saturn launch), Sony ($299) and Nintendo (an extremely boring keynote about counterfeiting). There is also video from the show floor, which gives you a glimpse into what it all looked like back then as compared to what it looks like now.

The video is quite long, but its a cool glimpse into how the biggest video game show got started.

E3 1995

Edit: I want apologize for a lot of the shaky cam footage. I guess my younger self could not afford a tripod. LOL!

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
The audio is a bit low (should have normalized it by section) and maybe just copied the left side to the right side to have "stereo"

That KI performance. She's a killer!

SebastianM

Thanks OP, I remember looking for '95 footage and all I could find was '96 and onwards, so this is really appreciated.

Nyoro SF

I'll be sure to give it a watch. I love old footage like this.

EDIT: Wow, that old footage of the LACC alone is amazing. I wish the courtyard area in the front still looked like that lol...

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Looooolll at the Williams Entertainment panel at @ 3h 9m mark.
Live action Doom and Mortal Kombat skits with a "totally cool" mom presenter.

I noticed this footage was in widescreen. Was it cropped that way? It didn't seem stretched on my phone at least.

Really cool you have this and game floor footage captured.
That D video was cool.

aparisi2274

Looooolll at the Williams Entertainment panel at @ 3h 9m mark.
Live action Doom and Mortal Kombat skits with a "totally cool" mom presenter.

I noticed this footage was in widescreen. Was it cropped that way? It didn't seem stretched on my phone at least.

Really cool you have this and game floor footage captured.
That D video was cool.

I am not sure why it is widescreen. When I popped the VHS tape into the DVD recorder, it was presented on my TV in WS, and I thought it was just my TV stretching it out, but when I put it through iMovie and then onto YT, it was still WS, but it does not look stretched to me, so who knows...

phants

The Sega presentation is such an amazing snapshot of the time; so corporate, so different to what we expect from a modern game show. Fascinating stuff, thanks op!

Holy shit, three hours. I am only a minute in and I am seeing some interesting things...

O2IrEYx.png

This was also Sony's introduction into the videogame market.

6BFTxwP.png

Sega had some weird advertising for the Saturn.

AYF 001

Cool piece of gaming history. If you're interested and have some money to spare, you might want to look into some VHS capture devices. That way you can digitally record your tape to your PC for best possible quality when uploading to YouTube.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So if you guys had to get a PS1 in 1995, what would you guys get?

I'm going with Doom and Rayman.

Oh wow at 1:54:46. Robotech footage for the Nintendo Ultra 64. It was total bullshot, no way the N64 could have rendered effects like that. Awesome video so far.

Zhr2D4g.png

It is also neat to see the Square-Enix booth.

Apparently Kutaragi blew up when he saw Polygon Man at E3. I think it was the last time it was ever used.

Kutaragi hated polygon man because it didn't represent the technical capabilities of the PS1. Polygon man was drawn with flat shaded polygons, Kutaragi wanted it to look phong shaded instead.

TissueBox

Wow awesome blast to the past OP..! Don't know if I could sit through all 3 hours, lol, but I'll definitely give it and some choice parts a look.

aparisi2274

I think the coolest thing that I saw when going through this was that nobody seemed to care if the game was buggy. I think during our playthrough of Secret of Evermore, we hit a few bugs and the guy was like "yeah that won't be in the final game." You don't see that anymore.

Also, the blue PlayStation you see toward the end was a debug unit and not something sold publically.

DJIzana

1995... one of my favorite years of gaming. What are the odds my two favorite games of all time would release two months apart from the other in NA (Earthbound and Chrono Trigger)? :D

He was! The guy in the video is getting an Orchid tat...

Yeah, that's what it looked like. The guy who was getting the tattoo was also chilling with a GameBoy. Back then stuff like this was just business as usual. But it is weird to think that Nintendo had a tattoo artist on hand who was willing to give almost anyone (i'm sure there were restrictions) a Killer Instinct tattoo.

I was 14 in 1995, and I remember reading this stuff in gaming magazines back in the day. It is interesting to see actual footage now.

Also more footage of Comanche for the SNES: https://youtu.be/Op5EkC7GbxQ?t=8287

EANlgID.png

This was a planned Super FX2 chip game that got axed during development. It was a port of the 1992 DOS PC game Comanche: Maximum Overkill.

This video has quite a bit of beta and cancelled games footage .

Nintendo teasing the "Ultra 64":

u1FnhYF.png

Nintendo didn;t have any playable games in '95 for the N64. It only showed up in pre recorded video.

daffy

Banned
anyone have an idea of why my timestamp jump wouldn't be working? I'm using mobile youtube red fyi. sucks because i really want to see some of this stuff!

Sega's surprise Saturn launch is another way of saying Sega's impending console doom, right? Man, I hope that Console Wars film releases soon.

Hazelhurst

Cool video!

So glad Nintendo dropped the "Ultra". Nintendo 64 was the perfect name.

I think "PlayStation" is a perfect name that Sony came up with for their console. I'm curious what other names they were thinking of, or if it was always going to be called PlayStation?

Top Bottom