• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Game Time Machine: E3 1995: The inaugural show

Cool video!

So glad Nintendo dropped the "Ultra". Nintendo 64 was the perfect name.

I think "PlayStation" is a perfect name that Sony came up with for their console. I'm curious what other names they were thinking of, or if it was always going to be called PlayStation?

It had something to do with a trademark dispute in the United States. Nintendo wanted the N64 to follow a single unified branding for all regions so they could move away from things like: Super Famicom/ Super Nintendo. Since they couldn't get "Ultra 64" they just dropped the "Ultra" out of the title and re-branded it to the N64 globally.

aparisi2274

Thinking back, I can see why a lot of companies may not have had new software to show. You have to understand that back then, they showed all their stuff at CES (there used to be two, a winter one in Vegas and a summer one in Chicago) and with E3 95 happening just five months after winter CES, there wasn't much to show that press and retail hadn't already seen at CES.

spock

I might have a VHS from the same year.

I actually ordered from a company selling it in the back of EGM or VGCE mag, anyone know or remember that?

You slide that baby into a slot, you hit install, and you get one of several messages, all of which basically say that "Surely, you did not think it was gonna be this easy?"

I love this Sega speaker haha. People still use the same argument against PC even after all these years.

The video is gaining traction... Venture Beat just ran a quick story about it.

Watch how Nintendo, Sony, & Sega open E3 1995

24K views! Not bad, man!

It really is a fantastic video though, and contains some interesting rarities that are hard to find media on. Like some of these prototypes that never made it out to market. This is the first E3, and to be honest there really isn't much footage from the showroom floors on youtube.

Here's a1:55:24 video that also has a lot of footage from E3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC9ZJWHFjhc&t=1510s

But it mostly covers The Atari Jaguar, Atari Lynx and Atari VR helmet. The most interesting part of this video is the Atari Jaguar VR helmet: https://youtu.be/fC9ZJWHFjhc?t=724

It was honestly really advanced for 1995. But still lacked due to technical limitations.

Sega keynote ended with the infamous Saturn "It's Out There" announcement. I wonder if any of the big three will pull that off, and if they did, what kind of pandemonium would ensue.

So the Sony keynote opened up with an amazing trailer. That was awesome, and made the whole Sega keynote look like a business meeting.

Top Bottom