• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Project Scorpio Announced - 6TFlops, 320GB/s - Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theorry

The next Xbox — Project Scorpio — may be using a new "Motion" interface design language

Microsoft's next Xbox — Project Scorpio — is shrouded in mystery, but we now have a clue about its dashboard interface.

Since we know that Microsoft is hard at work on Project NEON, an all-encompassing design refresh focusing on translucency, we've been wondering whether Xbox would see the same visual design refresh in the future. It now appears that Project Scorpio could have something else entirely.

Microsoft watcher h0x0d recently discovered a LinkedIn profile that directly references not only Project NEON, but a new "Motion" design language destined for Project Scorpio.

The Software Design Engineer even links to our own article on Project NEON, while discussing a new "Motion" design language for Scorpio. He also talks about how Scorpio's 6 TF of computational power will benefit Project Scorpio's visual interface.

project-scorpio-design-language.jpg

project-scorpio-design-language-2.jpg

I'm currently prototyping Xbox Scorpio Motion Design language, which is targeting Holiday 2017. What are we going to do with 6 teraflops of graphical processing power? Find out next year on Christmas morning ;)

I've previously speculated that Scorpio could have the same interface as the Xbox One, but it appears that Microsoft has plans to use Scorpio's horsepower to make the dashboard look extra flashy. At this point, we can only guess what Scorpio's dashboard will look like, but the word "Motion" could offer some form of clue.

http://www.windowscentral.com/project-scorpio-motion-design-language

Tregard

Soothsayer
Cool . also if Scorpio has a different user interface then Xbox One it's basically a next generation console.

Are there any new features we expect with the Scorpio as of yet? It would seem so strange to me if we had a next-gen console that didn't "do" anything new, so to speak.

WadeitOut

Are there any new features we expect with the Scorpio as of yet? It would seem so strange to me if we had a next-gen console that didn't "do" anything new, so to speak.

As far as what? The PS4 doesn't really "do" anything comparatively new to the PS3. It's x86 and more powerful.

icespide

Banned
i really doubt there will be an entirely new UI for the scorpio. there might be a UI refresh for all platforms with some flashy stuff on scorpio is my guess

onQ123

VR

As far as what? The PS4 doesn't really "do" anything comparatively new to the PS3. It's x86 and more powerful.

Touchpad , controller speaker & standard mic input , VR , Color LED feedback , standard live streaming & game DVR & a lot more.

Wedzi

Banned
Microsoft watcher?

Anyways an interface refresh is near the top of my wishlist for Xbox this year so hopefully? It would be crazy if Scorpio had a different UI than Xbox One though. I'm thinking maybe extra visual effects like moving backgrounds or something.

anothertech

Cool . also if Scorpio has a different user interface then Xbox One it's basically a next generation console.
The UI doesn't make it next gen. Scorpio is locked to playing Xbone games. Beyond vr, it won't have games developed for it that Xbone can't according to MS.

By definition, it is a mid gen upgrade. Just like the pro.

Next gen means leaving past gen behind. This is opposite of what pro and Scorpio are designed for.

The UI doesn't make it next gen. Scorpio is locked to playing Xbone games. Beyond vr, it won't have games developed for it that Xbone can't according to MS.

Next gen means leaving past gen behind. This is opposite of what pro and Scorpio are designed for.
We don't know this yet. I'm at least expecting exclusive like features for games of some sort of the go right out and say this is exclusive to Scorpio and just not possible on one line.

Most will eat it up of its looking down right impressive and besting even pc offerings etc

Of the software is there and looks like a leap then we may get exclusives, even if the leap isn't there may still get it. It's obviously something they have debated and it worked for them before but I'm not saying this is the case. There is absolutely reasons as to why they may want to support one another two years.

But ask yourself this, the box as it was designed is a failure. A system that was made to run Kinect. Do they want to hold on to it for another two years?

This is where I think no, that makes it six years old and why design the Scorpio to be weighted down two years from now with one?

This is not in the same situation as 4 and pro at all. This has a lot more thought and need put

Obviously we have ms word and I may be very wrong and or can see that possibility but I'm just going to say that Scorpio is a new console and one will pick up a lot of third party titles still not Scorpio will likely be getting first and third party exclusives.

There is always a thin line between how new hardware can push a game and how an aging user base can push a game. Seeing where they will be into late 2018, I'd take my chances on pushing Scorpio and atleast one launch exclusive with promising 2018 exclusives while third party support all for boxes for for the most part

It seems like a mistake of it is like you say, mid gen upgrade to a failed idea and system on ms most true idea.

Imo them saying what they said last year was logistics avoiding backlash til they have things ready to show.

If they do it similar to pro I'll feel a little surprised and that it is a mistake. Hard to say honestly with the s etc

But one thing I believe for sure is that they have even had games they could have shown but haven't in a while.

Hell, for all I know maybe some cancel titles moved to Scorpio and we're cancelled for one. Yeah, that may be crazy but would be neat.

Colbert

Banned

To me the Scorpio is a different type of update than the PS4 Pro as they change the hw architecture (different memory type, no ESRAM) and they add capabilities like VR. The only difference is that you can still play your library. TL;DR to me it has a more generational leap than just a mid gen update.

On the SW side I see your argument that Scorpio is not allowed to have "Scorpio exclusives" but to me it make sense as MS is trying to change the approach here in not to release any hw in the future that breaks BC. I assume we will see that the next hw iteration also will not allow exclusives only for that hw and the requirement to at least support the then older Scorpio hw platform.

So new interface will equal to new generation console? Xbox One just changed the interface, does that mean they just changed generations within the same generations?

Wedzi

Banned
God damnit I see this thread pop up and always think its real news.

So new interface will equal to new generation console? Xbox One just changed the interface, does that mean they just changed generations within the same generations?

He means if two different types of Xboxes have different UIs. Has never happened before expect for generation leaps. But it's not going to happen here because Scorpio isn't a new generation!

Bsigg12

He means if two different types of Xboxes have different UIs. Has never happened before expect for generation leaps. But it's not going to happen here because Scorpio isn't a new generation!

Didn't Phil in an interview straight up say they're working on some changes to the UI specific to the Scorpio?

Outrun

I am not sure if UI is a concrete marker of a new generation.

dLMN8R

An SSD would be even more problematic for Scorpio than other Xboxes if you consider the fact that 4K games will likely have higher-resolution assets which take up far more space.

Just look at Gears of War 4 on PC as a benchmark - it fully supports 4K assets and has grown to be over 100GB since it came out because of all the new multiplayer maps and such.

jelly

Not forgetting the price of a big SSD. It would make an Xbox One S 400-500 bucks let alone a Scorpio.

How big do you expect the Scorpio to be and will it be the nicest of the bunch?

yz4a1285jpg-7cf084_5niyaxr.jpg

yz4a1286jpg-38768b_765w.jpg

geordiemp

So, any news on the CPU ?

Thats the main item that would peg any hardware game performance to Ps4 pro levels IMO, or are we waiting for Ps5 and XB2 ?

I don't know about you guys, but I approve of this logo. Jesus call it Xbox One Scorpio and get it over with!

-------
A new flag hangs in the hallways of the @Xbox marketing team! #ProjectScorpio

https://mobile.twitter.com/msstudiosblog/status/843858734694580224

They can easily go with Scorpio because the whole argument of that people will confuse it with Xbox One S is nonsense. Like Phil said, they target certain gamers with Scorpio and most others will buy the S console.

KORNdoggy

I don't know about you guys, but I approve of this logo. Jesus call it Xbox One Scorpio and get it over with!

-------

They can easily go with Scorpio because the whole argument of that people will confuse it with Xbox One S is nonsense. Like Phil said, they target certain gamers with Scorpio and most others will buy the S console.

i would have thought MS would actually hire a graphic designer for their new logo and not some kid fresh out of school. seriously, that logo is horrible.

gamz

-------

Bad ass!!!! Love it!!!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
i would have thought MS would actually hire a graphic designer for their new logo and not some kid fresh out of school. seriously, that logo is horrible.

It's not a "logo" it looks like a graphic somebody internal made for the codename of a project whose logo and name have not been revealed yet. Might as well complain about this kid's drawings.

3aKQecH.jpg

gamz

It's not a "logo" it looks like a graphic somebody internal made for the codename of a project whose logo and name have not been revealed yet. Might as well complain about this kid's drawings.

3aKQecH.jpg

Pretty sure he knew that. It wouldn't​ be Xbox thread without him throwing shade. Lol

jaypah

For something that isn't going to even have that name in half a year? Nah, just throw some shit up for morale and let graphic designers worry about the real logo.

dLMN8R

<Microsoft employee makes something in their free time to hang up in the private office that only FTEs can access, and someone posts public picture of it for fun>

"WHAT THE FUCK MICROSOFT WHY DO YOUR LOGOS LOOK LIKE SHIT"

That logo looks quite fun. I would take a desktop wallpaper of it!

Also if you look behind the scorpion you can see the actual schematic layout of the 8 core Ryzen.

That logo looks quite fun. I would take a desktop wallpaper of it!

Also if you look behind the scorpion you can see the actual schematic layout of the 8 core Ryzen.

Hahaha oh boy here we go.

But yeah that logo is undoubtedly for fun, even though I would like it as the real logo, they would have to call it Scorpio too then. Otherwise it wouldn't make sense.

Surprising how nothing really leaked from GDC, MS really has this stuff on lock this time. Wonder when/if they're going to announce an event. Definitely should be one before E3 I'd reckon.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
I love the logo. The rest of you have no taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom