• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Project Scorpio Announced - 6TFlops, 320GB/s - Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

kungfuian

True, but everything suggests that Sony will also make the next console backwards compatible with PS4.

Backward compatible yes, but universally forward and backward compatible no. Your PS4 and Pro games may play on PS5 but your PS5 games will not play on PS4 or PS4 Pro. This is very different from what Microsoft is doing (or attempting to do).

Of course this could change (depends on a whole lot of factors) but all indications point to diverging business models in this respect. Because it's early on in this split right now both platform holders look about the same, with a box and a mid-gen box, but about 2 cycles from now (whatever their iterations may be) these differing business models will be playing themselves out and will be more fully put to the test.

Jumeira

Banned
Like i said $499 is not smart. It will create a negative narrative.
Exactly what is happening now.

Gamers are fickle, if the price is justified then it'll be forgotten. Not responding to knee jerk reaction is why they're some of the best businessmen in the industry.

499 was expected and reasonable for the tech inside, but MS have to sell it, yes.

xkramz

I doknt see what s wrong... 499 for a good online community and 4K gaming for your living room setup??? That's a steal. Smh

Gestault

I think the $399 price is unlikely, but would make the product an easier sell. I think $499 is the most likely, but will mean a 50/50 crap-shoot at best for whether it gets the desired market penetration.

I think in either case, Scorpio is less mainstream than a lot of its audience probably assumes. Its quality as a product is almost completely down to how well Microsoft implements "universal" upgrades to visual quality, including its back library.

AmyS

I'd love to see a Scorpio tech demo running at just 720p but graphics complexity (fidelity) cranked to an absolutely insanely detailed CG-like level, as a hint to what the Xbox platform will be able to do in the future but at 4K resolution (just to pre·empt Sony's next move).

An alternative use of 6 TFLOPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom