• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nier Automata Steam - Schrödinger's Release Date

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
If it releases on PC around the same time as the PS4 version, all that petulant foot stamping about "moneyhats" and what-have-you in the last thread on this subject is going to be super embarassing for certain gaffers to look back on.
? The moneyhat very obviously exists. It's just that it might be just a marketing moneyhat instead of a timed exclusivity one.

Corpekata

Banned
Sony doesnt have to pay for exclusivity for this game, come on now. Platinum already were not making it for XBox anyway. As far as we know there is no Sony deal anywhere.

If anything, it would be SE pushing the PC date back so they could acquire double dippers

Ah yes, the lucrative 3 day double dipper crowd.

sense

? The moneyhat very obviously exists. It's just that it might be just a marketing moneyhat instead of a timed exclusivity one.
Yea, no way square enix had other reasons to delay the pc version and are being vague about it to push people to buy the PS4 version and the special editions.....

Yea, no way square enix had other reasons to delay the pc version and are being vague about it to push people to buy the PS4 version and the special editions.....

You gotta admit, it's rather weird to have two versions of that trailer and not acknowledging a version for month... even more if it releases indeed day and date.

Durante

There aren't all that many options which explain S-E's behaviour in this case so far. The only ones that seem viable to me are (a) rank incompetence, (b) internal sabotage, or (c) a co-marketing agreement.

The latter is something that S-E is no stranger to, with multiple games and franchises following that approach with various partners. So I'm not sure why it should be the least likely scenario.

It's generally a marketing agreement not a money hat because very rarely do marketing agreements prevent you from relaying information about another version as opposed to just marketing one sole version (in ads as such).

This just sounds like your typical marketing agreement with a side serving of SE being SE.

Edit: The reason I point out this difference is on the front page of GAF right now. If Crash isn't exclusive, that's more the money hat to hide versions. That's obviously not the case with Nier here.

sense

You gotta admit, it's rather weird to have two versions of that trailer and not acknowledging a version for month... even more if it releases indeed day and date.
Yes that is on square enix. What would be weirder is Sony signing a marketing deal that is supposed to hide a version launching almost simultaneously until launch day.....they had marketing deals with destiny, cod etc... and none of them have any of these issues....

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Ah yes, the lucrative 3 day double dipper crowd.

I'm saying, if there were shenanigans going on behind the scenes, it would be that as SE have done that a lot recently with their PC conversions.

So far we don't seem to have any evidence of any of that going on because the PC port is close by.

Nier is pretty popular in japan, it makes sense for them to focus their marketing on the platform its going to sell there, since PC is a non entity

MUnited83

For you.
That makes no sense whatsoever. if anything the opposite situation would make more sense , since they get bigger margins on PC than they do on console.

I was planning to get this day one, until the Switch came along. Hopefully, it will do well enough to encourage Square to release a port of the original NieR. Definitely picking it up, but probably not until this summer or fall.

sense

That makes no sense whatsoever. if anything the opposite situation would make more sense , since they get bigger margins on PC than they do on console.

If the game wasn't going to be ready for pc on day 1 and they wanted to get the game out before the end of the fiscal year.... or if the rumor of that piracy reason is true then it absolutely makes sense...

Hektor

If SE would give a damn about communication they'd give at least a damage controlling non-statement, but I'll guess they'll just continue to pretend nothing happened

MUnited83

For you.
How is the moneyhat obvious?

From what I've seen this is all on Square Enix than SCE.
Why else would they self-sabotage on version of the game and actually spending more time and effort to keep it hidden? It's clear that there must be money behind this.
If the game wasn't going to be ready for pc on day 1 and they wanted to get the game out before the end of the fiscal year.... or if the rumor of that piracy reason is true then it absolutely makes sense...
No, it doesn't make any sense at all.

jmga

That does not explain why only the PS4 version has been mentioned on promo materials and trailers for months.

I find it obvious Sony is paying to hide the PC version.

sense

There aren't all that many options which explain S-E's behaviour in this case so far. The only ones that seem viable to me are (a) rank incompetence, (b) internal sabotage, or (c) a co-marketing agreement.

The latter is something that S-E is no stranger to, with multiple games and franchises following that approach with various partners. So I'm not sure why it should be the least likely scenario.
I am not totally ruling out comarketing agreement but this sort of hiding other versions after already being officially announced is not something I have seen....

That does not explain why only the PS4 version has been mentioned on promo materials and trailers for months.

I find it obvious Sony is paying to hide the PC version.
Could you please explain why they let square/platinum announce the pc version as late as gamescom last year?

LordKano

a52.jpg

DKL

Maybe they want some double dip sales. Release it on ps4, surprise launch on pc a week later.

Honestly, I'm probably just gonna mash Zelda at this point, then get physical PS4 version a week later than the release date, then keep it shrink wrapped for like 7 days so that I can return it in the event of surprise PC release.

So, I've bought myself like 2 weeks :v

(actually, that's a lie, I'll probably open the thing the moment I get it)

EDIT:

Actually... what is Amazon's return policy for opened games? I might just try to abuse that lol

Memory

Not true, after product support for PC releases is costly and vital in the PC space. You need to be paying people to be on forums as community support as well as actual tech support. This is why in some cases Indie dev's get alot more love as they are on the forums constantly address issues and just being present. In most cases AAA publishers are either hiring someone to do this or its not happening at all.

On console you can literally fire and forget or slowly patch up later. Try that will a PC release and your game is dead and so is any follow up game you try to push. Koei Tecmo and to a lesser extent Bamco have been learning this the hard way since they hit Steam. I suppose this is due to the added finacial barrier of hiring bilingual community and tech support staff.

kulapik

If they weren't supposed to announce it yet, when the hell were they going to announce it? it's just two weeks from now.

Slaythe

Holy shit this is comical.

If I buy the ps4 version full price and they fucking release the steam version "stealthily" a week after, I'll play both versions alright.

And I don't mean I'm gonna double dip. I'm giving them my money to support a great game but there are limits to my fanboyism. This is very dishonest on their end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom