• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT| The Land After Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polarburr

The world is pretty, but it is very barren. There's not a lot of actual RPG stuff to do. It's not a great RPG open world, but it's a great action game open world.

As the game is set up more for the former, a an actual RPG, it feels a little under-cooked to me.

Ah then what I was saying was kinda right. A lot seemed to get the impression that this game was an RPG open world. I never saw it as such so therefore wasn't taken by surprise with the lack of RPG stuff.

Gradly

My first encounter with a thunderjaw was nothing special. But my first stormbird... holy crap. It looks a lot bigger when it's on the ground. lol

Yea I was thinking about how the hell I'm gonna fight Thunderjaw, but turned out a joke fight.. When I moved to Stormbird I ran out of wires quickly and I suck at aiming so it was the hardest fight so far lol

Zakalwe

Banned
Ah then what I was saying was kinda right. A lot seemed to get the impression that this game was an RPG open world. I never saw it as such so therefore wasn't taken by surprise with the lack of RPG stuff.

Thing is, after a certain point of adding RPG features you can't really escape the fact the game is trying to be an RPG enough that its failings in trying become apparent.

Of course, this won't matter to you at all if you love the combat so much you can just engage with that for hours. The rest would just seem like added extra.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I never see people mention the ability that lets you call a mount, but it's very useful in combat. The mounts show up almost instantly, fight for you like a normal mount (that you're not riding) and you can call another one right away when they die.

Well, because it's described and advertised as such. Horizon is an action RPG, and I totally understand if people have been underwhelmed by the very light RPG elements. There's almost no sense of progression throughout the game besides getting better mods.

Falchion

Just had an amazing experience exploring in this game. I didn't have any more quests east of Daytower left to do so I decided to go explore the northeast part of the map where I saw two roads lead into the mountains. Decided to take the left road and spent a whole dodging through bushes to avoid all the Glint Hawks and other machines before stumbling across a
camp of the northern tribe where the machines were docile for some reason. Had a cool quest where you find out a device was keeping them calm.
It was just so neat picking out somewhere on my map that looked interesting and then being rewarded.

The world is pretty, but it is very barren. There's not a lot of actual RPG stuff to do. It's not a great RPG open world, but it's a great action game open world.

As the game is set up more for the former, a an actual RPG, it feels a little under-cooked to me.

Feels like an evolution of Far Cry in third person. That's not meant to be negative. The label of an RPG doesn't mean much these days since so many games have customization and character building.

TheFatMan

I have a 58% completion percentage in this game and I just realized you can buy an unlimited fast travel item at the damn vendors...../facepalm

Just had an amazing experience exploring in this game. I didn't have any more quests east of Daytower left to do so I decided to go explore the northeast part of the map where I saw two roads lead into the mountains. Decided to take the left road and spent a whole dodging through bushes to avoid all the Glint Hawks and other machines before stumbling across a
camp of the northern tribe where the machines were docile for some reason. Had a cool quest where you find out a device was keeping them calm.
It was just so neat picking out somewhere on my map that looked interesting and then being rewarded.

One of my favourite quests, you get it somewhere else without exploring. Pretty cool the quest still works if you just stumble upon it.

There was this place for a quest that I found before having the quest and because of the nature of the quest it didn't trigger but Aloy made comments about the scenery, it was quite intriguing, kinda terrifying. I explored but nothing happened and I asumed that you would be back once you get the quest. That was the case in the end. Sadly the quest itself was less interesting than my initial impression.

VanWinkle

I hope we get some good water physics interaction in the [inevitable] sequel, and also some of dat God of War snow deformation tech.

Fhn0uIQ.gif

Questions

Leveling up is only for skill points right?

Damage is base on which weapons you have equip?

Just beat the first corrupter with my starting equipment weapon and armor. But i feel like i should have better armor and weapon. Any advice on what i should buy at this point in the game?

I'll spoiler tag my questions

Abdiel

Platinum achieved. I had actually been doing so much of the actual collectible stuff as I went, that I had all of those done before I went and did the final mission. The only trophy I had to double check anything on was the Training Dummies, I guess I hadn't been paying attention when I was at all those towns in the Nora area, haha. Just a few fast travels around and done. But I had done I think every sidequest in the game, and the Ultra Weave armor is bamf.

Man, this game was amazing. So well done, characterization was excellent, beautiful world and imagery... what few little quirks I found were all very minor and never lingered in any problematic way.

Now onto Nier!

VanWinkle

Can you explain what you mean by this? I admit I am a noob to RPGs, but what kind of stuff would you say that could have added to the world to make it feel more like an actual RPG?

Platinum achieved. I had actually been doing so much of the actual collectible stuff as I went, that I had all of those done before I went and did the final mission. The only trophy I had to double check anything on was the Training Dummies, I guess I hadn't been paying attention when I was at all those towns in the Nora area, haha. Just a few fast travels around and done. But I had done I think every sidequest in the game, and the Ultra Weave armor is bamf.

Man, this game was amazing. So well done, characterization was excellent, beautiful world and imagery... what few little quirks I found were all very minor and never lingered in any problematic way.

Now onto Nier!
Abdiel what was your total playtime

zulux21

Questions

Leveling up is only for skill points right?

Damage is base on which weapons you have equip?

Just beat the first corrupter with my starting equipment weapon and armor. But i feel like i should have better armor and weapon. Any advice on what i should buy at this point in the game?

I'll spoiler tag my questions
you also gain 10 hp for each level :p

yeah damage is weapon based though some skills can effect certain things as can mods that are slotted in weapons. in more detail, knocking off armor from places on bots can also greatly change damage as does hitting weak points ect.

just buy what sounds good, though defensive armor can help, and I enjoy using the sniper bow to explode things off enemies with the tear arrows.

Ferrio

Banned
Man the AI in this game is dumb as bricks. "Is that a body?" moments before another person joins the growing heap of corpses next to some tall grass.

Zakalwe

Banned
Can you explain what you mean by this? I admit I am a noob to RPGs, but what kind of stuff would you say that could have added to the world to make it feel more like an actual RPG?

They have everything they need in place pretty much, it just needs refining or more of it.

Examples: a deeper crafting system to make gathering really meaningful, a deeper skill system to allow for varied builds, add some more instances of NPC interaction into the open world/add more open world events/places to discover, perhaps a loot system or more set weapons, etc...

Feels like an evolution of Far Cry in third person. That's not meant to be negative. The label of an RPG doesn't mean much these days since so many games have customization and character building.

I would be able to give Horizon a pass on the RPG stuff if it hadn't put so much of it in. At this point, they have pretty much everything an RPG needs so it's RPG shaped... and when we look at it that way we can notice the shortcomings.

It's very much like Far Cry, but they added enough extra (standard) RPG systems on top that the RPG focus is valid.

Hey folks

So initially my wife and I were really loving this, but now I'm having to grind levels to get up to where I need to be to take on the (early game mild spoilers)
corrupted zones prior to getting to Meridian
... and am finding the game really Far Cry-ey, which is not a good thing. Am I doing something wrong? Is that just this part of the game and it gets better? We're kind of in it for this story missions - really dislike open world check box stuff.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Hey folks

So initially my wife and I were really loving this, but now I'm having to grind levels to get up to where I need to be to take on the (early game mild spoilers)
corrupted zones prior to getting to Meridian
... and am finding the game really Far Cry-ey, which is not a good thing. Am I doing something wrong? Is that just this part of the game and it gets better? We're kind of in it for this story missions - really dislike open world check box stuff.
The levels don't do much. You should be able to take out enemies without leveling up. Play smart. Lay down traps. Use tear arrows to take out the guns and other important components. Use fire arrows when needed.

If you are not having fun fighting the machines and are just in it for the story then this is not the game for you. Sorry.

Edit: here are some more tips.
Use freeze arrows to do 3x damage with all other sources.
Use ropecaster to keep one enemy stationed while you take on the other.
Use precision arrows from distance.
Get silent hunter outfit to become harder to notice. Easier to get away as well.
Play the game. This isn't Witcher 3 or uncharted 4, it is actually designed around gameplay. I see these posts about people running out of wires and metal and i just don't get it. I fought every enemy i encountered while traveling. I got crazy amounts of xp and metal shards to buy whatever i wanted.i was a killing machine not because of my level but because i had the great variety of weapons i could afford.

I never see people mention the ability that lets you call a mount, but it's very useful in combat. The mounts show up almost instantly, fight for you like a normal mount (that you're not riding) and you can call another one right away when they die.

Don't you have to override them first?

Kin5290

Well, because it's described and advertised as such. Horizon is an action RPG, and I totally understand if people have been underwhelmed by the very light RPG elements. There's almost no sense of progression throughout the game besides getting better mods.
Well, no, this isn't true at all.

If discovering new robotic animals, having your initial encounters devolve into frenzied retreat or frantic brawls won only by the skin of your teeth, until you finally piece together a combination of tactics, skill, and equipment that allows you to methodically demolish the creature that was giving you so much trouble before, isn't progression, I don't know what is.

Use freeze arrows to do 3x damage with all other sources.

I found freeze arrows not really reliable. Maybe because I've been using corruption mods on my war bow. I guess I should buy another 2 war bows, each specialized for certain element with corresponding mods.

Corruption arrow is so much fun, by the way. A group of machines is a threat no more for me. Maybe a little too OP, in fact.

Well, no, this isn't true at all.

If discovering new robotic animals, having your initial encounters devolve into frenzied retreat or frantic brawls won only by the skin of your teeth, until you finally piece together a combination of tactics, skill, and equipment that allows you to methodically demolish the creature that was giving you so much trouble before, isn't progression, I don't know what is.

That's called player's progression, not the character's. In most RPGs, the enemies you faced a dozen hours before wouldn't be a threat anymore for you right now. Because your character has progressed a lot since then. In Horizon, everything is always a threat. And I'm saying all this as a compliment actually.

Ken Adams

When the mount dies and you call a new one does it call your last riden mount or a random one.

I noticed that too, at least on hard difficulty could be different? :)

Difficulty levels do not affect AI, only more enemy HP & damage, and less resource from gathering.

The small machines act similarly too. You can call them and kill them one by one. For the exception of certain machines that can
detect you in grass.

Toni

That's called player's progression, not the character's. In most RPGs, the enemies you faced a dozen hours before wouldn't be a threat anymore for you right now. Because your character has progressed a lot since then. In Horizon, everything is always a threat. And I'm saying all this as a compliment actually.

I take it you haven't progressed far yet?.

Once you fully upgrade your bows and get all the skills, you're practically one-shotting robots single-handedly.

You pretty much become the predator.

I take it you haven't progressed far yet?.

Once you fully upgrade your bows and get all the skills, you're practically one-shotting robots single-handedly.

You pretty much become the predator.

Small machines? Yes. But not for the medium and bigger ones. And I've been one-shotting smaller machines since the beginning.

I currently have more 60% progression and have opened the whole map. I have everything purple from weapon, outfit, to mods. I guess I'm far enough.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I found freeze arrows not really reliable. Maybe because I've been using corruption mods on my war bow. I guess I should buy another 2 war bows, each specialized for certain element with corresponding mods.

Corruption arrow is so much fun, by the way. A group of machines is a threat no more for me. Maybe a little too OP, in fact.

You need to have the freeze meter go all the way up to where they appear literally frozen. Then they are immobalized and you can go to town on them with precision arrows for massive damage.

I use three purple freeze modifications on my war bow which two shot freezes every medium size enemy. Bigger enemies like stormbird, tremors and thunder jaws take up to six shots.

Corruption is very useful but the game is already way too easy for me atm. The last time i died repeatedly was against the thunder jaw on level 20 and the tremor at 29. I'm level 42 now and while it's been challenging at times due to the enemy mix I've been cruising along for the past dozen hours or so.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The amount of detail in the world design is riddiculus. Every time I see a giant structure in the distance I think that this used to be pure background-decoration in single player games. Here you can actually go and enter this city....

What wizardry is this?

mokeyjoe

That's not really true. I'm demolishing enemies now I've upgraded and modded my weapons. True, they can always catch you off guard from time to time, so it's not completely trivial, but it's definitely not just my skill that's improved. I remember when I used to avoid Sawtooths (Sawteeth?), now they're arrow fodder. Mwahahaha.

I like the way it does it - new weapon options seem to open up right when you start realising you need them, it's not just raw power, you need the knowledge and skill to make use of your expanding arsenal. The progression feels very natural, Aloy improves as you do.

VanWinkle

Man, such a little thing and BOTW is not remotely the first game to do something like it, but I really wish Horizon had a paraglider so that you can glide down from high distances. MAN. That's the only thing from BOTW that I've actively thought about while playing Horizon. It is missed in Horizon.

TTG

Took at least 5 tries to take down a storm birdie, what a beast. On very difficult most of its attacks are one hit kills. I have no idea how you're suppose to sprint over to land a crit either, the damn thing recovers so quickly.

How do you approach a target that has no weak points left? Do you still hit it with elemental damage hoping to set the critter on fire or whatever, or do you go straight damage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom