• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Won't Support 4k BluRay

Streaming is killing it, I don't know anybody that buys movies on disk anymore.

There are still a lot of places that don't even have a decent broadband connection. On top of that, those that do may have their service capped. As far as 4K goes, the amount of bandwidth needed to stream it will slow some networks to a crawl and have others get overcharged for going over their capped data. I bought a 4K television, but I knew that there wasn't much 4K content in the wild. Hell, we still only get 1080i on cable television networks. I said all that to say that physical content is still very much needed, lol.

What fucking streaming options for 4K and HDR out there are killing it right now? Please tell me where I can see over 100+ 4K movies and HDR titles? Otherwise all I see is shit like Santa Clarita Diet in HDR, Netflix or Amazon original video content or some tech demos on youtube that actually stream you 4K and HDR. Otherwise you have few to no other options to see 4K and HDR content at all.

I thought if you had 4K and Netflix then all of Netflix was automatically upscale to 4K?

There are still a lot of places that don't even have a decent broadband connection. On top of that, those that do may have their service capped. As far as 4K goes, the amount of bandwidth needed to stream it will slow some networks to a crawl and have others get overcharged for going over their capped data. I bought a 4K television, but I knew that there wasn't much 4K content in the wild. Hell, we still only get 1080i on cable television networks. I said all that to say that physical content is still very much needed, lol.
Physical content is needed but with movies it is at a very hard sell point. Most aren't buying any type of movies now and days because of streaming options like Hulu, Netflix, Amazon etc. Now even cable companies have jumped on the stream boat. Then you have the physical rental service like Redbox. The average joe is not thinking about 4K HDR quality movies they just want something quick to rent to watch with there wife or girlfriend. There are allot of people in the sticks and mountains that could care less about internet connection and those who care find a way.

Madness

Everything is upscaled to 4k on a 4k tv. Netflix has a handful of native 4k content. That's the difference.

I thought if you had 4K and Netflix then all of Netflix was automatically upscale to 4K?

Not necessarily. Just because you have a 4K television doesn't mean what you are viewing is 4K. So if you are watching something that is 480i or 720p, it is still 480i or 720p but your television will scale it to fit 4K resolution, and depending on your television quality, the image processor will try and fix the rest.

But there is a mountain of difference between content at 1080p, and native 4K content.

Netflix charges you more for 4K content and 98% of it is their original content like Luke Cage and Santa Clarita Diet etc. If only Disney and other directors jumped on UHD and HDR it would take off so much faster. Imagine the LotR trilogy in UHD with HDR support, Rogue One in UHD with HDR etc. Nothing comes close to the quality of UHD discs. Like Frank said above, wait till you actually see Mad Max Fury Road UHD. Planet Earth II coming soon as well. Cannot wait.

Only some content supports it and you have to upgrade your account and pay a little more for UHD streaming.
you have to pay a premium netflix subscription just to unlock 4K content?
Everything is upscaled to 4k on a 4k tv. Netflix has a handful of native 4k content. That's the difference.
how is native 4K content vs. playing a regular bluray movie on your 4Ktv?
Not necessarily. Just because you have a 4K television doesn't mean what you are viewing is 4K. So if you are watching something that is 480i or 720p, it is still 480i or 720p but your television will scale it to fit 4K resolution, and depending on your television quality, the image processor will try and fix the rest.

But there is a mountain of difference between content at 1080p, and native 4K content.

Netflix charges you more for 4K content and 98% of it is their original content like Luke Cage and Santa Clarita Diet etc. If only Disney and other directors jumped on UHD and HDR it would take off so much faster. Imagine the LotR trilogy in UHD with HDR support, Rogue One in UHD with HDR etc. Nothing comes close to the quality of UHD discs. Like Frank said above, wait till you actually see Mad Max Fury Road UHD. Planet Earth II coming soon as well. Cannot wait.
i'm not sure if it was this thread or another 4K thread involving blu ray where a gaffer posted a listed of all the "true" 4K blu rays and all the "untrue" 4K blu rays or some shit like that, with the untrue ones I would wonder if the streaming versions of that content are better or if it even holds up wit the regular blu ray
I'll probably be perpetually perturbed by the persistence of the Playstation 4 Pro being prone to preventing playing of 4K productions.
hm..

Conduit

Banned
UHD refers to Ultra High Definition. It's not what you think you're referring to. Most people who buy 4K TVs are not buying them for video games. Your personal, weird preferences do not define what is and isn't relevant.

It's very disappointing that the PS4 Pro did not have a UHD Blu-ray drive.

Did i mentioned console or just 4k TV only? How gaming console is for gaming is my weird personal preference?. Explain me that. As i said : UHD is irrelevant in console gaming. Period.

Dynomutt

Did i mentioned console or just 4k TV only? How gaming console is for gaming is my weird personal preference?. Explain me that. As i said : UHD is irrelevant in console gaming. Period.

Conduit, why it's not even worth it. I understand it dragged you in on the necro-bump the more you entertain it the more the wheels keep turning.

Edit: Doh

Conduit

Banned
Conduit, why it's not even worth it. I understand it dragged you in on the necro-bump the more you entertain it the more the wheels keep turning.

Edit: Doh

Why i even bother. Anyway, back to my weird preference in console gaming - to play some games, not to watch a goddamn UHD movies.

c0de

I hope Sony removes the possibility of playing bluray and deletes all the streaming apps. Consoles are for games and not to watch movies.

Caayn

This thread is still going huh? Anyway to add my anecdotal experience to the fire.

I'm not the biggest video-/audiophile, yet I notice a difference in quality between a high-quality stream and watching it on an UHD-BD (yes, even on the supposedly "terrible" XB1s).

Streaming will be the major content provider, yet I'm happy that I have the option to watch higher quality content if I so desire. I've bought several movies on UHD-BD, during sales, and I don't regret buying them due to the quality they offer.

AndersK

I'd love the pro to be able to play uhd-movies. But I can see people not feeling the need for it yet.

Edit: What above guy said.

gamz

I hope Sony removes the possibility of playing bluray and deletes all the streaming apps. Consoles are for games and not to watch movies.

Might as well. I still find it odd that people defend Sony on this. Give us less features not more. Odd thread.

Rellik

Might as well. I still find it odd that people defend Sony on this. Give us less features not more. Odd thread.

I think it's more people understanding why they didn't bother instead of people arguing for less features. At least I hope so anyway.

tzare

you seem salty.

Putting a UHDBR costs sony money and has an impact on price and is not a priority.

bidguy

Banned
Why i even bother. Anyway, back to my weird preference in console gaming - to play some games, not to watch a goddamn UHD movies.

yes we get it youre a special little snowflake and want a pure bred gaming console without any other uses

but surely even you could admit that having a future proof option like a uhd drive would be nice to have ?

tzare

True, but Sony also is the developer of the format and manufacture their own UHD standalone players. How expensive would it have been really?

i have no clue, but i am sure they did not put it to keep the cost as low as possible. I am sure ps5 will have one if physical formats are still a thing when it launches.
It would be nice to have? sure, but they decided the added cost wasn't worth it.
i think it is time to move on on this topic, if is so important just buy a standalone player o r the great XB One S

you seem salty.

Putting a UHDBR costs sony money and has an impact on price and is not a priority.

Salty?
He was just making fun of a very closed-minded post.
If anything, your salty post sounds salty

Yes it costs money, but not much. Ms put that thing into a $249 console and UHD blu-ray player are cheaper for Sony, because they don't have to pay royalties.
On the other hand, they also got rid of optical out and that is even less expensive

Edit: Ps5 having UHD would make all the arguments against it right now invalid and completely ridiculous

it's not a weird preference but i also don't think it's weird to expect more media playback out of consoles. My Ps2 was my first dvd player, my Ps3 was my first bluray player, and I was hoping the pro could be my first 4K blu ray player. at this point it is an expectation but shouldn't be highlighted as a main feature like mS did with xbone's launch. but it should still be there

tzare

Salty?
He was just making fun of a very closed-minded post.
If anything, your salty post sounds salty

Yes it costs money, but not much. Ms put that thing into a $249 console and UHD blu-ray player are cheaper for Sony, because they don't have to pay royalties

oh i didn't saw the post you are refering since it wasn't quoted. My apologies.
I saw a thread bump and his commentary from a quote and considering he is a great xbox supporter....

I don't care very much about Pro, i already have a slim, but if i had to buy one it would be for the extra Flops and not because it can play UHBR. If the extra money is much or is not, that's something personal, and sony probably considered it and decided that it wasn't worth.
And it seems that they did right considering the Pro is selling ok and hard to find in many countries.

On the other hand, they also got rid of optical out and that is even less expensive

Edit: Ps5 having UHD would make all the arguments against it right now invalid and completely ridiculous
getting rid of optical should , even more, make it clear that every little penny they save is important.
And no when ps5 launches if UHDBR is the standard optical player, it just makes sense. You are wrong

oh i didn't saw the post you are refering since it wasn't quoted. My apologies.
I saw a thread bump and his commentary from a quote and considering he is a great xbox supporter....

I don't care very much about Pro, i already have a slim, but if i had to buy one it would be for the extra Flops and not because it can play UHBR. If the extra money is much or not is something personal, and sony probably considered it and decided that it wan't worth.
And it seems that they did right considering the Pro is sellilng ok and hard to find in many countries.

Not me, he
But it's okay. We all sometimes jump the gun to early.

Happens

Couldnt be more wrong
How, when the argument is "digital and streaming" is the future?
And the second one is "being expensive", while it is not really expensive.

From a consumer perspective i don't see amy benefit from this.
As a Sony shareholder, sure they can sell standalone player for big profits. Big part of Their consumer seems to be okay with it. I sure wouldn't

black070

It's interesting that a lot of people here arguing for a UHD player are known XB fans - to which I have to ask, would you honestly care as much about it if your camp didn't include it ? Conversely, would you buy a Pro if it did ?

how is native 4K content vs. playing a regular bluray movie on your 4Ktv?

It looks better. I don't think it's an order of magnitude better, but you can tell the difference. What stands out to me more is not the resolution, but HDR. That's Bluray vs UHD though. The bitrate on streaming services are low compared to on discs. I've seen 4k streams on Netflix that don't look any better than a 1080p Blu-ray.

c0de

It's interesting that a lot of people here arguing for a UHD player are known XB fans - to which I have to ask, would you honestly care as much about it if your camp didn't include it ? Conversely, would you buy a Pro if it did ?

It'd be interesting to see how the known Sony fans would argue if it was the other way round. And the Xbox fans, too, of course.

What? Most people complaining here prefer Sony for sure.
Which is precisely why there is backlash in the first place. We want to stick with a Sony console that also can play our movies/series, not buying another device.
XB fans might enjoy the situation but obviously they could care less if the pro had UHD.

I highly doubt 107 pages of discussion is just "known XB fans" being concerned. I think a lot of PS owners wanting to swap over from a PS4 Phat to a slim or Pro (especially the Pro) took it as a fairly given it would include a UHD drive. I would guess most posts here are from people who wanted the PS4 Slim and Pro to follow how MS did it with the Xbox One S and are ultimately dissapointed.

black070

It'd be interesting to see how the known Sony fans would argue if it was the other way round. And the Xbox fans, too, of course.

Ofcourse, that's the way things go - but I'm personally just interested to know how big of a deal UHD is, especially to those who already have access to it on their chosen console.

What? Most people complaining here prefer Sony for sure.
Which is precisely why there is backlash in the first place. We want to stick with a Sony console that also can play our movies/series, not buying another device.
XB fans might enjoy the situation but obviously they could care less if the pro had UHD.
I highly doubt 107 pages of discussion is just "known XB fans" being concerned. I think a lot of PS owners wanting to swap over from a PS4 Phat to a slim or Pro (especially the Pro) took it as a fairly given it would include a UHD drive. I would guess most posts here are from people who wanted the PS4 Slim and Pro to follow how MS did it with the Xbox One S and are ultimately dissapointed.

Apologies, I'm really just talking about recently - should have been more clear.

MilkyJoe

I'd care a lot if Scorpio doesn't, for the data advantages when Xbox 2 comes out, but for a stand alone player, not at all. Those movies are way too expensive. The only good thing about a new format is the previous start to become dirt cheap, and Blu Ray is good enough for me.

But that said, isn't it cheaper to buy an Xbone than a 4K player? In which case it's a good move cause the 4K player customer gets a free xbox out of the deal. Sucks if they prefer playstation though.

Back to data, however, if PS5 follows the iterative business model, then PS4 Pro day one patches might get a tad bit bigger.

Thretau

It is what it is. I ended up buying a Pro even though I was very disappointed it didn't include an UHD-drive.

Saying physical media is dead and it's silly to want UHD-drive is fair if you never bought Blu-rays and don't plan on buying 4K BRs either. But there are many, including me, who wants to own their movies in the highest quality available.

For someone who is 100% going to buy UHD-player at some point in the future I would have liked to save 300-400€ if Pro would have had the drive.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
I own a little over a dozen uhd blurays, and out of my collection only the original Ghostbusters is available in 4k streaming on Netflix, and it actually looks worse than the 1080p bluray thanks to all the compression artifacts. People saying streaming is the future might be right, but only for convenience and definitely not for quality.

Also, almost no movies are available in streaming in 4k right now, it's almost all exclusive content from Amazon or Netflix that they've made themselves for their services. So anyone videophile would be all over uhd blurays right now if they care about high quality movies.

IMO I think consoles having the latest physical media is now an expectation looking at previous gens and it is a disappointment Sony didnt put a uhd player in the pro.

c0de

I'd care a lot if Scorpio doesn't, for the data advantages when Xbox 2 comes out, but for a stand alone player, not at all. Those movies are way too expensive. The only good thing about a new format is the previous start to become dirt cheap, and Blu Ray is good enough for me.

But that said, isn't it cheaper to buy an Xbone than a 4K player? In which case it's a good move cause the 4K player customer gets a free xbox out of the deal. Sucks if they prefer playstation though.

Back to data, however, if PS5 follows the iterative business model, then PS4 Pro day one patches might get a tad bit bigger.

What I think is also a big benefit is that the S model has a 4k acceleration chip meaning that you can also view 4k video content via actual files and will have acceleration for that as the functionality seems to be exposed and usable by other apps like VLC.

Juice

What fucking streaming options for 4K and HDR out there are killing it right now? Please tell me where I can see over 100+ 4K movies and HDR titles? Otherwise all I see is shit like Santa Clarita Diet in HDR, Netflix or Amazon original video content or some tech demos on youtube that actually stream you 4K and HDR. Otherwise you have few to no other options to see 4K and HDR content at all.

Streaming isn't killing the market for 4K discs with 4K streaming video. It's killing it with incredible convenience. Studios get more control, more margin from streaming than discs and so many customers value the convenience of streaming over the quality of discs that the market viability for new generation of players and discs is miniscule.

The only reason DVDs ever took off in the first place is that the convenience and quality overlapped for the mass market. If videophiles were the only ones who cared, the market for them would have collapsed and support would be poor, just like 4K blu rays.

How do people in this thread not see this? Are they just sour about it anyway?

Streaming isn't killing the market for 4K discs with 4K streaming video. It's killing it with incredible convenience. Studios get more control, more margin from streaming than discs and so many customers value the convenience of streaming over the quality of discs that the market viability for new generation of players and discs is miniscule.

The only reason DVDs ever took off in the first place is that the convenience and quality overlapped for the mass market. If videophiles were the only ones who cared, the market for them would have collapsed and support would be poor, just like 4K blu rays.

How do people in this thread not see this? Are they just sour about it anyway?

They see it. They just don't care.

The thing with 4k is that it's still relatively niche. It's going to be a slow process for everyone to jump on board with it especially considering a decent 4k/hdr tv will cost you about 600 minimum when folks can get a huge 1080p smart tv for about half that.

While it would have been great for the Pro to include a UHD player, when I had the Xbox one S I barely used it and just streamed everything in 4k. I get some folks still want the discs but as you said.. convenience. Especially with more services (Like fandango Now etc) embracing 4k/hdr

Sanctuary

Lol, what is this? Yeah it isn't a reference quality $1000 piece of hardware but the picture quality is phenomenal, as is the HDR that you see. What kind of facts are you basing your comments on? What you've actually seen or tested or your own feelings. All I've found is some anecdotal posts by some owners indicating marginal differences between this and the standalone panasonic player or Samsung one from last year. Once it updates to get Atmos Bitstream and whatnot, you will find it is quite capable for under $200 to watch UHD Discs.

You can call it trying to justify a purchase if you want, but more than a few people that have an Xbox One S who upgraded to either the Panasonic or more recent Oppo and Sony go on and on about how much better the displayed image is on all fronts.

Have I "tested my feelings"? Not particularly. I've seen the Panasonic on the same OLED (in the same lightning conditions) that I have and it was pretty nice, and the effect of HDR and WCG was actually noticeable, and one of the reasons I was looking forward to grabbing a standalone early this year. I've had an Xbox One S hooked up for over a week, watched over a dozen UHDs and it's totally "eh, is that it?" compared to simply watching 1080p versions of the same movies upscaled through madVR on PC. HDR is either almost not even noticeable, or it blows up the highlights into an extra bloomy mess. From memory (which isn't science), it didn't look this unimpressive or simply bad with the same content I previously viewed.

As for your last sentence, so? When did I ever argue about how cheap you could get something that actually plays UHDs? I even already covered that... They just aren't all equal since that seems to be what you're implying.

"Known Xbox fans"
I read that as if it's a damn crime to be one
a 4k machine that is lacking 4k UHD playback is damn weird, when a Xbox one S has one and Sony doesn't it's even weirder.

But not as weird as the people saying UHD is a dead format simply because Sony didn't want another PS3 price announcement on their hands, when the PS5 has one, will the tune change? Probably. I skipped out on the pro and got a one S simply because that means I don't have to make a seperate purchase for a UHD player.

"Known Xbox fans"
I read that as if it's a damn crime to be one
a 4k machine that is lacking 4k UHD playback is damn weird, when a Xbox one S has one and Sony doesn't it's even weirder.

But not as weird as the people saying UHD is a dead format simply because Sony didn't want another PS3 price announcement on their hands, when the PS5 has one, will the tune change? Probably. I skipped out on the pro and got a one S simply because that means I don't have to make a seperate purchase for a UHD player.
PS5 will probably have one because it needs to supports larger game sizes. That makes perfect sense. Adding one just to allow for UHD blu-ray playback would have been nice, but I get why thy didn't

Top Bottom