• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Won't Support 4k BluRay

what I was trying to say was the complaints you could find here are complains you could find elsewhere, but it'll be extension of the same complaints so what's the point?

i even remember going to the best buy in union square and the guy said it was the dumbest decision for sony not to include the 4K blu ray player

lmao using the best buy guy as support for your argument.

"Dear Sony,

I am writing to express my disappointment and disbelief that PS4 Pro does not include a UHD player. Even the Best Buy Guy at Union Square agrees.

Sincerely,
The Artisan"

lmao using the best buy guy as support for your argument.

"Dear Sony,

I am writing to express my disappointment and disbelief that PS4 Pro does not include a UHD player. Even the Best Buy Guy at Union Square agrees.

Sincerely,
The Artisan"
what do you want me to go and ask every one of the million new yorkers out there or something?

Wrong. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT situation. UHD is not in format war like Blu-Ray. Blu-Ray WAS important 10 years ago.
Yes it was important but it was also looked at as something that wouldn't catch on at the start like UHD. UHD offers a better picture, so people saying that's irrelevant sounds like people that don't like progress until Sony says it's ok, then it's s different story.

Let's take a step back and look at an even bigger possibility, there was no reason for Sony to come out with the Pro when it did, I'm sure they would have loved to take it back and do more work to it now in hindsight since Microsoft has had a lot more time with the Scorpio. If they had a chance to do it again, they would probably add a UHD (and hopefully a redesign)

Maybe the PS4 Pro slim will offer that if that's ever a thing.

Optical media is dead. Digital distribution and streaming is all that matters now, Sony, the owners of blue ray, know this.

Sony don't own blu ray, they are part of the alliance amongst others.

And it's not dead just not as important as before, however anyone looking for the best possible picture and sound goes physical disc as uhd on Amazon or Netflix etc is no where near as good as a physical disc.

Still annoyed they didn't include

i was on the fence about it as well, if it were not for the scorpio. if the scorpio released at the same time as the pro instead of a year later i might've bought that over the pro. although you mentioned that you also game on PC, do they not make 4K blu ray drives for PC?

Hopefully they do or people will be dumping their PCs in droves.

Though to be serious, I don't think many PC monitors do UHD anyway.

The PS4 Pro was a gaming upgrade for a games console, which is what made it relevant to me now, the people who are heavily into UHD Blu Ray will need to find other ways to support it. I find it hard to care either way yet, as it probably won't be relevant to me until 2020 anyway.

Are you saying that streaming 4k will give me a better picture quality than s UHD disc? It will give me the best my tv has to offer?

You probably know what he meant. Convenience of use. This isn't a new thing for 4k.

Streaming quality has and is always subpar to the bitrates bluray has offered before UHD. But more people are likely to use it just like most still use TV speakers and not a 7.1 dolby atmos audio system.

timberger

Yes it was important but it was also looked at as something that wouldn't catch on at the start like UHD. UHD offers a better picture, so people saying that's irrelevant sounds like people that don't like progress until Sony says it's ok, then it's s different story.

Seems you're confusing a sideways move for 'progress'. Blu-Ray offered benefits for gaming, UHD does not. Therefore UHD is very much an irrelevance in the context of a games console. If it actually had even a single gaming related application, it'd be one thing, but it doesn't.

Optical media is dead. Digital distribution and streaming is all that matters now, Sony, the owners of blue ray, know this.

so why put an optical disk drive in the console at all? does not make any sense when digital and streaming is the future.

welcome to have the worst of both worlds.
not the newest physical technology and still a big bulky disk drive in the console

from a consumer perspective, there is zero benefit. just downsides

EmiPrime

Are you saying that streaming 4k will give me a better picture quality than s UHD disc? It will give me the best my tv has to offer?

Not enough people care. For the vast overwhelming majority of people streaming is good enough and most importantly works on all their devices including their phones, the thing they have on them 24/7.

Hypothetically speaking given the choice between watching something in 4K via Netflix or paying £25 for the UHD Bluray I will always choose the streaming option.

Cost and convenience trump picture quality beyond a certain point of diminishing returns, that's also why DVDs still outsell Blurays over 10 years after the advent of consumer HDTVs.

anothertech

Cause it's about numbers not what your personal preferences are. MS also knows optical is dead, they tried to end it in 2013 but they were a gen too early.

This will be the last gen with optical drives.

Avtomat

so why put an optical disk drive in the console at all? does not make any sense when digital and streaming is the future.

not the newest physical technology and still a big bulky disk drive in the console

I will not jump on the hyperbole bus of physical media is dead etc etc but it is obvious from the limited numbers available that people are increasingly ditching physical media for streaming. The drive is required for games you might as well repurpose it for media as well.

Not including the UHD drive seems to have simply been a cost cutting measure, if it helped them control costs I dont think its a bad thing. I do however think it was a mistake not putting it on the PRO. The PROs higher price means that the increased cost would have eaten into margins but you will ship so few of these things that its not that big of a deal.

Bluray and DVD have been having a tough time for the last several years from the stats I have seen declining at least 10% in revenue for the last 2, Bluray will not reach DVD numbers and UHD in turn will likely not reach Bluray numbers but in the future UHD will replace Bluray as the dominant new format (Bluray has still not replaced DVD as format with highest revenue).

stats from here: Digital Digest NPD numbers

never knew NPD did video format numbers

EmiPrime

Well that's a nonsense comparison.

Because it's a games console and most people still prefer to buy physical copies that they can sell or trade in after playing. Game streaming subscription services aren't mainstream yet, games and movies are apples and oranges.

Hopefully they do or people will be dumping their PCs in droves.

Though to be serious, I don't think many PC monitors do UHD anyway.

The PS4 Pro was a gaming upgrade for a games console, which is what made it relevant to me now, the people who are heavily into UHD Blu Ray will need to find other ways to support it. I find it hard to care either way yet, as it probably won't be relevant to me until 2020 anyway.
i would think there are plenty of PC monitors doing 4K, how else would there be 4K gaming?

I even remember hearing about 5K monitors in the recent past as well

i was on the fence about it as well, if it were not for the scorpio. if the scorpio released at the same time as the pro instead of a year later i might've bought that over the pro. although you mentioned that you also game on PC, do they not make 4K blu ray drives for PC?

Pioneer is introducing the first one later this year. But it requires a Kaby Lake CPU for 4K playback. I'm not upgrading my Skylake i5 to Kaby Lake just to accommodate a 4K PC drive.
I'm contemplating a standalone player, or wait to see what PS5 offers

Pioneer is introducing the first one later this year. But it requires a Kaby Lake CPU for 4K playback. I'm not upgrading my Skylake i5 to Kaby Lake just to accommodate a 4K PC drive.
I'm contemplating a standalone player, or wait to see what PS5 offers
i wouldn't expect a Ps5 for at least another 3 years. why not get an xbone s or a scorpio?

Would someone mind clarifying: do 4K Blu Rays also play 1080p on regular Blu Ray players and TV's? Or does the disc only work in 4K Blu Ray players?

Conduit

Banned

Yes, it's irrelevant. In console gaming UHD is irrelevant. That's a fact. I wouldn't buy a console and 4K TV for watching movies. I would buy it for gaming.

4K UHD player is still a great value add for a games console, even it's not as good as a top standalone unit.

And I would bet anything the PS5 will have one. Physical games will still exist by then and the larger disc size will be needed. Sony just cheaped out with the Pro.

But you could also say that MS only added it because they knew that Sony wasn't going to. Again a nice value add made in times of desperation!

STEaMkb

This is not the first time Artisan has bumped this thread after a prolonged period of silence. He has done it twice before. Then he uses the ensuing friction as evidence of it's continuing relevance.

Fredrik

I used to be a strong UHD supporter but I saw a big 4K TV with PS4 Pro with Horizon Zero Dawn at 4K today and could barely spot what was supposed to make it so much better than it already looks on my 1080p TV. Maybe it had less aliasing shimmering? No idea honestly, so maybe 4K is actually pointless unless we're talking about showing the game/movie on big projector screens?

Not enough people care. For the vast overwhelming majority of people streaming is good enough and most importantly works on all their devices including their phones, the thing they have on them 24/7.

Hypothetically speaking given the choice between watching something in 4K via Netflix or paying £25 for the UHD Bluray I will always choose the streaming option.

Cost and convenience trump picture quality beyond a certain point of diminishing returns, that's also why DVDs still outsell Blurays over 10 years after the advent of consumer HDTVs.

So the PS4 Pro is a mistake? I mean who cares about image quality...

bennibop

Sony was right too exclude uhd disk, used it once on ones and the gains were not big enough to.warrant the cost of the disk so I continue to stream my 4k hdr content as much better value and quality improving constantly.

I used to be a strong UHD supporter but I saw a big 4K TV with PS4 Pro with Horizon Zero Dawn at 4K today and could barely spot what was supposed to make it so much better than it already looks on my 1080p TV. Maybe it had less aliasing shimmering? No idea honestly, so maybe 4K is actually pointless unless we're talking about showing the game/movie on big projector screens?

Wait, you're telling me the TV in the store was poorly calibrated? No way, they always look great in the stores!

99Luffy

Banned
Sony was right too exclude uhd disk, used it once on ones and the gains were not big enough to.warrant the cost of the disk so I continue to stream my 4k hdr content as much better value and quality improving constantly.
4K digital is the same price as UHD+digital combo though, so you actually get more with the blu ray. Unless you only meant watching netflix/amazon produced content.

This thread still lives after all this time �� �� ��

You know that is a rumour right... �� �� ��
when it's a rumor the thread title is supposed to signify that.
Most monitors now don't have hdcp 2.2.
so how is 4K gaming done generally then on PC? I thought all it took was a PC that could handle the specifications and a 2160p monitor
This is not the first time Artisan has bumped this thread after a prolonged period of silence. He has done it twice before. Then he uses the ensuing friction as evidence of it's continuing relevance.
i recall bumping it only once in the past and we have already established this. if you're going to post here just be part of a discussion

inner-G

Banned
I just bought several UHD discs for the Xbox that I bought just for the 4K player, and they look great. Great Gatsby in 4K/HDR is pretty epic. Streaming always has concessions in picture quality/motion/bitrate/etc.

A streaming 4K movie doesn't feel as 'luxurious' as UHD blu ray. It just doesn't. The bitrate isn't there.

I still haven't seen a 4K Blu-ray available for purchase in a brick and mortar and I genuinely look for them.
Ive bought some at Target and some at Best Buy. I haven't ordered any online, I like immediate gratification

I really hope next fall they release a White updated Pro with 4k support, even though I do not have a 4k TV, I plan to get 4k movies in the future. This is the only thing I have against the PS4 Pro. :p

gatti-man

The difference between 4k and 1080p is easily discernible at 70" in my home. Zero dawn looks impressive but the PS4 pro wouldn't be a console id use to decide whether 4k is a big deal or not. It's barely 4k as is. Use a high end PC or wait for newer consoles.

I still haven't bought a pro and the only reason is it's lack of UHD. I'll buy Scorpio. Its just feels like a waste of money without UHD when I can wait a few months and get stronger hardware with UHD for possibly the same price.

It doesn't matter of it is better. There are better UHD players than the one in the Xbox One S. If you care so much should you be going for the higher tier players right?

Do you have a top of the line UHD TV? The quality matters.

inner-G

Banned
Would someone mind clarifying: do 4K Blu Rays also play 1080p on regular Blu Ray players and TV's? Or does the disc only work in 4K Blu Ray players?
All the ones I've gotten have come with a UHD disc, regular blu ray disc, and digital pass. You still get the regular blu ray most of the time

Dynomutt

What are the chances they announce a UHD enabled Pro revision for E3 or Xmas? I can only hope Scorpio makes them feel the pressure.

I'm not Sony but I doubt it. They just wrote off 1 billion in their home entertainment dept due to sliding sales of home media. I just don't see it so soon. Probably don't want to aggravate early buyers as well. Andrew House was pretty straight up he even said they don't plan on patching 4K even if they could. Business decision I don't know but it is what it is.

Top Bottom