• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So long as you don't look at any signs...

I didn't play Catherine but it looked a lot like this, no?

Played Catherine recently and this looks near identical. Improved in detail and animations somewhat here, but it's really close.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
The game opened up for me a bit, I'm at
the part after you bought your first weapons and can now choose my free after school. When I head into the palace directly and beat Kamoshida, does the time jump to May 2nd or can I still use all days to socialize and explore the city up until then?

Nah man you have free time.

That is why I think it's advisable to just always do dungeons as fast as possible so that you can have more free time to do whatever. Dungeons can also have gimmick that will force you to return to the real world and waste days before you are being allowed to proceed, not to mention this time you are being forced to use at least 3 days for the dungeon to be fully completed, unlike previous games where you can just blitz in one day if necessary.

Shouta

Early game question: The game opened up for me a bit, I'm at
the part after you bought your first weapons and can now choose my free after school. When I head into the palace directly and beat Kamoshida, does the time jump to May 2nd or can I still use all days to socialize and explore the city up until then?

You don't lose your time when you beat a dungeon early on. You'll still have your time to do stuff. So you'll be fine.

suracity

Guys.. do not use signs to navigate subway.
Just come out on the ground level. You can see three entrances for three subway line. One to home, one to school, one to some other places you will unlock later.

Gala

Nah man you have free time.

That is why I think it's advisable to just always do dungeons as fast as possible so that you can have more free time to do whatever. Dungeons can also have gimmick that will force you to return to the real world and waste days before you are being allowed to proceed, not to mention this time you are being forced to use at least 3 days for the final completion of the dungeon.

You don't lose your time when you beat a dungeon early on. You'll still have your time to do stuff. So you'll be fine.

Thank you two! Time to take a trip to the palace then!

ymgve

I accidentally missed some dialog which I assume was triggered by fusing my starting persona. Anyone know what it was about?

JJShadow

I accidentally missed some dialog which I assume was triggered by fusing my starting persona. Anyone know what it was about?

You mean the short cutscene where
Arsene is sacrificed for fusion? Nothing really important, he just mentioned how he will sacrifice his power bla bla and that he will always be by your side. You can summon him again whenever you want from the Velvet Room (at level 1 though)

MTC100

Banned
Oh fuck it, delete the game and re downloading, everything. I can't take this English voices knowing I could be playing this with Japanese VA. The game better not fuck up once it's back up (which will take me the whole day).

Some days are just filled with disappointment... for the little I've played though, it's interesting, so really itching to get back at it.

I if you overlook some pronunciations, then it's a very well done English dub. I had a line that was interrupted rather quickly though, I guess it was very fast one in Japanese and the English VA took too much time to say it in English. -But other than that, it's pretty amazing I think.

On another note, I couldn't download the Japanese Dub for the PS3 version(only PS4 was to be found in the PSN store). I hope there is one, wanted to use it for my second playthrough, can anyone confirm that?

OniBaka

Well persona 5 has been sold out all over Australia. Thought it would a bit more mainstream enough for more copies. My local eb only had 30 copies in.

JJShadow

This will "technically" be my first Persona game (played a few hours of P4G with barely enough time to play it). I'm still an Atlus newbie with only ♯FE completed, so here are a few of my questions before going in this weekend...

1. Does the Protagonist have an official name? I heard it was
Akira Kurusu based of the manga
but I'm not sure if that's reliable in the Persona canon? I always like to name JRPG heroes by their canon names.

2. What should I know going into this gameplay-wise the first time?

3. Apparently the JP audio is bugged? Is that still the case? I certainly hope not :/

Thanks Atlus peeps and hope you guys enjoy!

1- There is no official name for the MC at the moment, the closest one is the one you mention from the manga

2- Copying a previous post of mine, some beginner tips (spoiler-free):

- Press square to auto-heal in a dungeon
- Normal difficulty provides a fair amount of challenge, you have to play smart if don't want to get wiped by "easy" mobs
- The game is completely on rails during the first 5-6 hours, then you are free to roam
- SP is the main limitation during the first dungeon, so try not to abuse SP-dependent skills (normal melee attacks deal a nice amount of damage)
- Extorting enemies for money or items is the fastest way to finish battles against tough enemies (you won't earn much experience though)
- Focus on getting one Persona of each element early on
- You can safely sell all the items marked as "treasure" for tons of money
- Use guns against flying enemies

3- It seems so based on other people's experience

MTC100

Banned
Yeah, exactly, I'd like to keep at least some semblance of difficulty in, but it'd be nice to be able to switch to Safe for a second if you get really frustrated at some point.

I get your point, however I would be really surprised if even the strongest foes would be a problem on easy mode though. -I sure hope that won't be the case, I'm not someone that wants to play a game on the hardest difficulty and I don't have a problem to switch to easy if I die and lose my progress up until a safe spot...

Lol long intro. Y'all don't even know.

It's over three hours into P4 before you even enter the shadow world.

I don't remember it to be that slow though(P4Golden might have been better paced, played P4 PS2 ages ago) or you could do much more, it feels very scripted at the moment and limits everything you can do in your... well... unavailable free time. I feel like I'm playing the game wrong, wasting time like that rather than building up stats for my MC.

Rozart

Managed to talk 4 personas in a row into serving me. Fees good haha.

These persona negotiations are keeping me on my toes.

Edit:
I don't remember it to be that slow though(P4Golden might have been better paced, played P4 PS2 ages ago) or you could do much more, it feels very scripted at the moment and limits everything you can do in your... well... unavailable free time. I feel like I'm playing the game wrong, wasting time like that rather than building up stats for my MC.

P4's intro is notoriously long. I'm pretty sure it was the same for P4G too? I don't remember them shortening it.

squall23

1- There is no official name for the MC at the moment, the closest one is the one you mention from the manga

- Normal difficulty provides a fair amount of challenge, you have to play smart if don't want to get wiped by "easy" mobs
- The game is completely on rails during the first 5-6 hours, then you are free to roam
- SP is the main limitation during the first dungeon, so try not to abuse SP-dependent skills (normal melee attacks deal a nice amount of damage)
- Extorting enemies for money or items is the fastest way to finish battles against tough enemies (you won't earn much experience though)

Wait what? Bugged how? I saw people say it was confusing to switch to it but it worked. Did something else happen?

aravuus

I get your point, however I would be really surprised if even the strongest foes would be a problem on easy mode though. -I sure hope that won't be the case, I'm not someone that wants to play a game on the hardest difficulty and I don't have a problem to switch to easy if I die and lose my progress up until a safe spot...

Yeah, I suppose we'll see! I don't mind using free time to grind since I know I'll be doing NG+ asap anyway for that sweet, sweet 100% SL completion, so I guess I'll just grind it out if I run into a wall lol.

Scavenger

On another note, I couldn't download the Japanese Dub for the PS3 version(only PS4 was to be found in the PSN store). I hope there is one, wanted to use it for my second playthrough, can anyone confirm that?
It's definitely available on various European PSN stores. As a matter of fact I downloaded it from the Dutch PSN last night. The Japanese dub size is 2.7GB.

GSR

So resource management is NO JOKE in this. Is it impossible to beat the first palace in one go or what?

On Normal or above? Probably. However if you level up the
Death
Arcana you can buy SP-restoring accessories that'll let you clear most dungeons in one day if you're smart about it.

Be warned though that some of the dungeons in this game are big.

dark_haze

Neo Member

Thanks a bunch! I really appreciate it ^^

ramyeon

On Normal or above? Probably. However if you level up the
Death
Arcana you can buy SP-restoring accessories that'll let you clear most dungeons in one day if you're smart about it.

Be warned though that some of the dungeons in this game are big.
Yeah, I'm on Normal and managed to slug it out till beating the mini boss but I'm just out of pretty much everything at this point.

Jolkien

Can someone provide some details with the JP audio being bugged ?

And is it true that you can view movies or DVD in game and they are not subtitled ?

MTC100

Banned
It's definitely available on various European PSN stores. As a matter of fact I downloaded it from the Dutch PSN last night. The Japanese dub size is 2.7GB.

Okay, that's a relief, perhaps it wasn't there as it was the 3rd of April yesterday and only the PS4 dub was added before launch.

acidagfc

Are there any difficulty locked achievements? I started on normal, but it sounds it gets rather tough and I'm not really into grinding part of the series.

I preordered the game a long time ago, I thought I was getting it this week... turns out I've putted my parents' home address instead of mine...
I guess I'll play it in 2 weeks :'(

Sucks to hear about the JP DLC being bugged. I downloaded it, but I could not find *any* way for it to work in-game. It didn't show up in my config at all before starting a new game.

It seems like I may have dodged a bullet though. On the bright side, I'm two hours in and the English dub is pretty great so far.

I don't speak Japanese so I can't speak to how awkward the original writing might have been, but this localization feels super clunky. I'm sure everyone has pointed out the beginning's "please take care of me" direct translation line but there's a BUNCH of stuff here that feels like it's missing one or two punch-up passes. It has the cadence of awkward literal translation in so many places.

Like (early spoiler)
"they're serious to kill us"
???

aravuus

Damn didn't know if you hit a deadline you have to go back a week.

That's how it was in the earlier games too. Do you keep anything if you rewind, btw?

Like I wonder if it'd be possible to grind by repeating the same 7 days over and over again. Sounds too good to be true, tbh.

I don't speak Japanese so I can't speak to how awkward the original writing might have been, but this localization feels super clunky. I'm sure everyone has pointed out the beginning's "please take care of me" direct translation line but there's a BUNCH of stuff here that feels like it's missing one or two punch-up passes. It has the cadence of awkward literal translation in so many places.

Like (early spoiler)
???
About 1.5 or 2 hours in (not really a spoiler):
"Where were you roaming around until this time?"

That "please take care of me" made me go 'wait, what?'

I understood it because of the sheer volume of animes that I've watched, but that was messy.

marmoka

Banned
Let's see if the post office brings my copy today to work, and they don't invent horrible excuses this time.

Yesterday they told me they came to my office, but they weren't sure if they had to ship there so instead of making a phone call for confirmation, they left. I got the phone call after lunch and after confirming it, they said they would bring it today. If I don't get it this time, and they give me another excuse, like that I wasn't there of whatever, I will ask them to give me the claim forms.

The PS3 game itself isn't on the US store at the moment even though it's up everywhere else. Time to wait 12 hours I guess...

empo

Ugh just got this mail from base.com
Unfortunately Deep Silver have been unable to supply our full stock requirements Persona 5 (PS3), therefore we will be unable to deliver your order on the day of release.

We have been told Deep Silver that this sku is now discontinued.

aravuus

The persona negotiation answers are randomized, right?

Also can I safely sell old gear and weapons later on, or should I keep them for.. I dunno, crafting or something?

Mine just shipped from Amazon, due for delivery by 8pm tonight. Fuck yes, so hype and can rest easy knowing they didn't fuck a third order up this year.

Grammar mistakes in persona is one thing, mass effect A is a western game and has bad grammar in one of the main menus lol. And ive only played that for a couple hours without actually reading most of the stuff

StereoVsn

Like (early spoiler)
???

Yeap, it's too literal. At the same time it's not terrible or at least it's better then the promo videos. Feels like a better handled Namco translation overall and not up to P4 or even P3 quality I would say.

I am kind of loath to switch to Japanese because of the amount of things left without translation. I am sure I would catch most since I have roughly intermediate level of Japanese but I won't catch nuances. We shall see how the localization proceeds (only about 4 hours in).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom