• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 |OT| Lupin The Fifth. Label spoilers properly! (see post #4621)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Impulsor

I played a couple of hours yesterday, couldn't play anymore because I was falling asleep.

I really, really liked what I played. I left it at:
The night after the first day of School,
afater awakening Joker and having a stroll around the school castle dungeon.

I know its very little play time to form a proper opinion, but I'm really liking everything. Music, art style, interface, menus, transitions, voice acting, combat, setting

Everything in the game shows incredible amounts of love and care. Can't wait to play more.

I was not prepared for the game to be just this stylish, and staggeringly confidant in what it does. Also was not expecting to feel all the feels so early on.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Ugh, was not expecting the palace to be this huge.

I almost feel like I'm in a catch-22 where if I grind out enemies, I lose SP too fast, and if I don't grind, I'm underlevelled for the minibosses....

Don't want to spend more than 4-5 days max in there, lol

Bendo

The persona negotiation answers are randomized, right?
No, I believe they're tied to the personality of the persona. One of the tutorials mentions it IIRC, and basically irritable personas prefer straight answers, timid personas prefer kind answers, childish personas (or whatever they're called) prefer joking answers, etc. Some are trickier than others in my experience but it gets easier as you level up your social links.

Also can I safely sell old gear and weapons later on, or should I keep them for.. I dunno, crafting or something?
Pretty sure you can just sell it all.

Sorian

Banned
I can't find the post for the life of me but in the spoiler free impression thread someone posted a quick tip guide to demon negotiations (that so and so personality type likes these type of answers). Could someone sum that up for me again, spoiler tagged of course?

Edit: That timing

Lucifon

This is missing too many subtitles when using the JP voices.

Way too many.

Eugh that sucks. The English voice overs are often pretty low bitrate / compressed. Was hoping the JP ones would be better. The audio quality reminds me of a portable game blown up / ported to the home consoles.

aravuus

Anyone got a chart of enemy weaknesses/strengths or something for the game? Just a sheet with enemy names plus elemental affinities would be perfect. Just spent like 4 rounds trying to find out an enemy's weakness and didn't, soo... SP wasted, I guess.

No, I believe they're tied to the personality of the persona. I believe one of the tutorials mentions it, but basically irritable personas prefer straight answers, timid personas prefer kind answers, childish personas (or whatever they're called) prefer joking answers, etc. Some are trickier than others in my experience but it gets easier as you level up your social links.

Ah I see, thanks! I'll try to pay attention to what they're saying, then.

Wunder

No, I believe they're tied to the personality of the persona. One of the tutorials mentions it IIRC, and basically irritable personas prefer straight answers, timid personas prefer kind answers, childish personas (or whatever they're called) prefer joking answers, etc. Some are trickier than others in my experience but it gets easier as you level up your social links.

Pretty sure you can just sell it all.

how can you tell what type of personality a persona has? Is it really easy to tell from their speech?

Bendo

how can you tell what type of personality a persona has? Is it really easy to tell from their speech?

It says so in the upper left corner when you talk to them, right under their fake name I believe. But yes, it's also quite easy to tell from their speech.

Saphirax

A high profile game like this and they managed to muck up the translation...

And that's even after delaying the game. Extremely disappointing.

Walked into Game and picked it up today before work! Can't wait to play it tonight. Hope it doesn't have a three hour install or anything silly.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
A high profile game like this and they managed to muck up the translation...

And that's even after delaying the game. Extremely disappointing.
What's this in reference to?

aravuus

Chill, they certainly didn't muck up the translation. There have been clunky lines here and there, but so far not nearly enough to call the translation clunky as a whole. Seen maybe 4 or 5 noticeably clunky lines so far, and I'm 6 hours in. It's been very good otherwise.

Only played 4 or so hours,
Ann just joined the team and we're preparing to go back into the Palace

Really good so far. Everything feels like a huge step up from the previous games. Already emotionally invested in the story lol.
Kamoshida is a huge piece of shit. Surprised that they discussed the possibility of him dying if they succeed.
Very interested to see how this plays out.

Chaos17

Ugh, was not expecting the palace to be this huge.

I almost feel like I'm in a catch-22 where if I grind out enemies, I lose SP too fast, and if I don't grind, I'm underlevelled for the minibosses....

Don't want to spend more than 4-5 days max in there, lol

Big isn't really the problem for me but I dislike that story force me to return to it like 4+ times (for first dungeon)... just let me do it after the 3rd time -_-

Miang

Just got to 5/1. Absolutely loving it so far. The humour in some of the dialogue responses, lol. Love the dark yet quite realistic story and themes so far.
Wow, Kamoshida really is a disgusting piece of shit.

I am now getting that classic Persona feeling of being overwhelmed with stuff to do though. Need to rank up confidants but need to improve stats to do so and also to apply for some jobs and I also need make money and and and and and.... *head explodes*

The translation is certainly not terrible, but I'm still only a couple hours in. Ryuji's english VA performance is reminding me too much of Junpei though; I think tomorrow I'll try to switch it to JP and see if I can hang.

The game is really slow and over-tutorialized in the beginning, but damn is it good to see proper SMT demons again. And the use of color in the game is so good.

Anoxida

I got 4 more hours of work before I can finally play this. Dont think I can make it fam. Anyone else out there goikg through the same?

Jb

Getting around Shibuya and the different shopping centers is a little overwhelming right now, which is how it must be irl I imagine.

Having each face button linked to a specific action in combat was such a great idea. I can't remember a turn based RPG ever feeling this fast paced and punchy.

Frimaire

Okay, is it just me, or do you barely get any experience in this game?
It takes me like 10 random battles to level up a persona from like 2 to 3...

suracity

Ok I decide I am going to buy an Eng version just to experience the translation and dub.

I mean to me the pinnacle of localization is ace attorney series and it took a total different approach. As a result the AA localization team may have much more leeway than other typical localization teams. Literal translation is fine to me as long as it's accurate. I am really curious to see how the team handles a few scenes that I feel difficult to come across in English.

JJShadow

The second half of the first dungeon is no joke, there is a substantial difficulty spike. I managed to reach the final boss yesterday but got wiped out twice before reaching him (this playing on Normal). Oh, and remember that it's game over if the MC's HPs reach 0, even if the others party members are still alive

Gestahl

I have a quick question regarding the main cast. Not sure if I was spoiled or not but I'm going with yes. Could be a MAJOR spoiler, do not click

There's one spoiler in the game I would classify as MAJOR and it's not that. You're probably better off posting these kinds of questions in the import thread though, don't want an OT of a game just out to be a minefield.

suracity

I have a quick question regarding the main cast. Not sure if I was spoiled or not but I'm going with yes. Didn't want to go into the spoiler thread for obvious reasons. This could be a MAJOR spoiler, do not click
]

Do you really want to know?
Unfortunately yes

Miang

The second half of the first dungeon is no joke, there is a substantial difficulty spike. I managed to reach the final boss yesterday but got wiped out twice before reaching him (this playing on Normal). Oh, and remember that it's game over if the MC HP's reaches 0, even if the others party members are still alive

Yeah I'm finding Normal a bit harder than it was on P3 and P4 so far.

aravuus

The second half of the first dungeon is no joke, there is a substantial difficulty spike. I managed to reach the final boss yesterday but got wiped out twice before reaching him (this playing on Normal). Oh, and remember that it's game over if the MC HP's reaches 0, even if the others party members are still alive

As if I wasn't having enough trouble during the earlier parts too lol. Heading there in a second myself, I think.

Oh shit, you can get 50k yen for the Soma you get from the healing item dlc. Might have to sell it, the item itself is too good, I'd never use it lmao. "I'm gonna need this more later on".

Bendo

Okay, is it just me, or do you barely get any experience in this game?
It takes me like 10 random battles to level up a persona from like 2 to 3...

Yeah, I've noticed that leveling personas seems really slow, to the point I've mostly forgotten it's even a thing. It seems really strange coming from SMTIV where leveling personas is pretty much all you do, but I'm guessing fusing personas with bonus xp is what you should be doing in P5.

Ended up buying UK PSN credit from Play-Asia and am currently downloading the PS3 version instead of waiting for the US store to freaking update -- can't wait to play this!!!

Gestahl

Yeah, I've noticed that leveling personas seems really slow, to the point I've mostly forgotten it's even a thing. It seems really strange coming from SMTIV where leveling personas is pretty much all you do, but I'm guessing fusing personas with bonus xp is what you should be doing in P5.

A lot of the early enemies give fuck all for exp and exp itself I think is scaled based on the level of the enemy and your current level, so a 100 exp from a level 10 isn't the same as 100 exp from a level 20 enemy, which means persona that are probably above your level from fusing take forever to go up since they get less from lower level enemies. Leveling personas this way will never be ideal but eventually you'll start getting a couple in battle lv ups here and there depending on how long you go with a specific persona.

Gestahl

What does the Black Rock do? "A stone that can transmutate"?

Non-spoiler answer: you'll find out eventually.

Spoiler answer: *gameplay spoiler*
Eventually you unlock the ability to turn personas into items, black rocks are the base for turning them into accessories.

Chaos17

My body is ready after playing Tokyo mirage session where elites are just so savage that I got wiped lot of time because them in normal, haha.

Pachimari

I played 10 hours of P4G and never fused a Persona. I actually didn't know I could do that until I read it on GAF. This will be all new to me and I will probably fuck up the way I gain Personas, experience and such. Do you have to negotiate with the Personas to get them? Isn't that new to Persona, and a mechanic they've taken from SMT?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom