• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

Dat black crush. Good to see the guy in charge of the Xbox One pop is on Scorpio.
Different weather

comparison.png

Hey so looking at the pic of the hardware put together, is anyone else getting a bit OCD about the optical drive being on the right instead of the left?

I'll get used to it. But it's different.

They are absolutely not trying to hide the fact that they are still using Jaguars.

It kinda seems like they are. Why wouldn't they just put Jaguar there too? I mean, we ALL thought it would still be Jaguar, so it is a little disingenuous to do that.

But hey, it fooled me at a glance when I noticed they didn't specify custom Jaguar there, so I guess it worked for a brief moment.

Well, of course. I'm not claiming anything nefarious is going on (The user "Matt" usually comes across reasonably and pretty level-headed, too...).

Just trying to understand what the point of the tweet was.

Feels pretty off topic, anyway.

A publication incorrectly stated that the Matt posting in the thread is Matt Pettineo.

onanie

It kinda seems like they are. Why wouldn't they just put Jaguar there too? I mean, we ALL thought it would still be Jaguar, so it is a little disingenuous to do that.

But hey, it fooled me at a glance when I noticed they didn't specify custom Jaguar there, so I guess it worked for a brief moment.

There is a very good reason for that.

Sorry GAF, but like the Pro, this doesn't do much for me as a gamer, specs wise. Its just a slighlly beefier PS4 Pro which would probably retain at $499.99 unless MS think it will sell like hotcakes at 399.99 and they take a loss. I honestly don't see how any casual will buy this like the Pro, if it can do almoat everything like vanilla PS4 and Xbox One. Guess we'll see what E3 has in store.

I agree that it will be a much tougher sell. They don't have the software and there's a greater chance you have friends on playstation than Xbox. If they can get a big software title out though, it would be helpful.

Although i will miss all those amazing PC game sales....

4 Games With Gold per month, 40+ EA Access games for £20, Live sales and freebies, plus the upcoming Game Pass (access to 100+ games, Neflix style but full downloads not streaming) - you'll be drowning in games in no time, trust me ;)

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
it does seem silly that DF didn't use the word jaguar on that spec breakdown spreadsheet

But they did.

They said it's 8 Jaguar cores.

As I had said in the pre thread, my info was a modified version of the existing Bone APU. Which turned out to be right.

It's obviously a Jaguar. But still a fairly modified one tweaked to achieve whatever it is they're trying to achieve to make it easier for devs.

Pineapple

How are Xbox One games able to run on the Scorpio?

I understand that the CPU and GPU architectures are the same, but the Xbox One has that 32 MB cache of ESRAM. So if Xbox One games are specifically hard coded to utilize that cache, how are they able to run natively on Scorpio?

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I am literally talking about this breakdown:

OWEAXA9l.png

I am not trying to insinuate anything about DF here please don't get me wrong. I just thought it was silly

Ah ok. Cool. I mean, it's tricky wording. They're technically not wrong. Technically.

They're just omitting the wording for whatever reason.

Ding II

I thought it would be too, but it seems odd that they specify "Eight custom Jaguar cores" for the others, but specifically just put "x86" for Scorpio. We'll all know soon enough, but I can't see why they wouldn't put Jaguar there too.
Really? You can't?

You sweet summer child.

Vol5

I understand that the CPU and GPU architectures are the same, but the Xbox One has that 32 MB cache of ESRAM. So if Xbox One games are specifically hard coded to utilize that cache, how are they able to run natively on Scorpio?

I'd like to know this as well. Perhaps it's silicon based solution which re-routes calls for ESRAM to the faster GDDR5.

"The memory system we've got, we've got enough bandwidth to more than cover what we got from ESRAM," explains Nick Baker. "We simply go and use our virtual memory system to map the 32MB of physical address that the old games thought they got into 32MB in the GDDR5. So latency is higher, but in terms of aggregate performance, the improved bandwidth and improved GPU performance means we don't hit any issues."

Really? You can't?

You sweet summer child.

LOL I get why they might would want to try that, but I mean the fact that anyone who would notice that "Jaguar" is omitted is likely to be someone who will research it more (or someone who comes here and quickly learns that it still is Jaguar based).

All it does is look bad, and now we are talking about the omission, which makes it look worse.

No it's not!

It's an evolved Jaguar...

I think you're being sarcastic, but I actually do look forward to a deeper dive into the CPU modifications and how they improve everything from baseline Jaguar.

It doesn't seem to simply be "just Jaguar", but we also don't really know how those modifications translate to the games (beyond the reducing load stuff in regards to the DX12 stuff).

I hope DF, or even MS themselves, release some details about how much these off-loading improvements and other customization improve things - perhaps with some examples (e.g. game A running on regular Jaguar would be at this FPS, but Scorpio's can push it to this FPS...or something like that).

I think you're being sarcastic, but I actually do look forward to a deeper dive into the CPU modifications and how they improve everything from baseline Jaguar.

We know it's simply not "just Jaguar" (after all, you can't get a run-of-the-mill Jaguar clocked at this frequency, so it's obviously been modified), but we also don't really know how those modifications translate to the games (beyond the reducing load stuff in regards to the DX12 stuff).

I hope DF, or even MS themselves, release some details about how much these off-loading improvements and other customization improve things - perhaps with some examples (e.g. game A running on regular Jaguar would be at this FPS, but Scorpio's can push it to this FPS...or something like that).

Yes, I'm definitely hoping we get some deeper insight into how it has been modified.

Wedzi

Banned
haha "Custom x86 (Jaguar Evolved)" and "Customized Jaguar x86" mean literally the same thing

Maybe it's talking about the higher clock and the baked in Direct X 12? Idk it does seem rather silly but they probably thought they were being disingenuous if there is a difference and they didn't somehow clarify it.

Some mental Gymnastics going on in this thread.

So this has to simultaneously compete with a fictional PS5 and launch at a comparable price to PS4 Pro?

This kind if delusion is a sure sign of to much salt intake.

OT: I'm a Sony fan above MS fwiw and aside from X-Box One S never been interested in X Box. But this looks/sounds super neato. I'm provisionally in.

Man...I haven't heard the word "Neato" in a long time...Gave me a good chuckle. I personally think the Scorpio is super neato as well and I will be picking-up two of them at launch.

shandy706

So it's a refreshed Jaguar with better TDP, and 200MHz boost....

It's still boring.

I mean, they had to do it, to keep the porting of games easy.

But as a piece of tech, it's not interesting.

It's the way the CPU is integrated with other customizations that makes it interesting...if you look beyond just the (CPU it's based on) part of it.

Pineapple

"We simply go and use our virtual memory system to map the 32MB of physical address that the old games thought they got into 32MB in the GDDR5. So latency is higher, but in terms of aggregate performance, the improved bandwidth and improved GPU performance means we don't hit any issues."

That's pretty cool.

Ding II

Interesting. Is MS mandating 3rd parties to make both modes?
They are mandating that if a 3rd party chooses to add such a mode, that mode must be available to all users, no matter what type of display they have hooked up and configured.

So, if a company patches in a mode that bumps the resolution of a game from 1080p to 2160p, that mode must be available to everyone, not just those with 4k monitors hooked up.

Similarly, if a company patches in a mode that lets you choose to run at 1080p, while boosting the frame rate and doubling the draw distance, that mode must be available to folks with 4k displays as well.

It's pretty much common sense, of course you'd want it to work that way, but apparently this isn't always the case on the PS4 Pro.

No, you're salty because you know DF said nothing particularly wrong or misleading in these articles but you just had to discredit them, so you're using something that happened years ago instead of judging the current information we have now.
I don't believe accusations of bias, but Digital Foundry does make mistakes. For example, in these comparisons they posted that PS4 Pro has 8GB of GDDR5, of which 5GB is available to games. In actual fact, it has 8GB GDDR5 and 1GB DDR3, and 5.5GB of GDDR5 is available to games.

Interesting. Is MS mandating 3rd parties to make both modes?
No, they're doing downsampling via the API. The end result isn't much different than with Sony's machine, though. There are only 16 PS4 Pro games that don't downsample, and that's a good thing for 2 of them.

Scorpio's power will not be most apparent with supersampled 1080p.

liezryou

4 Games With Gold per month, 40+ EA Access games for £20, Live sales and freebies, plus the upcoming Game Pass (access to 100+ games, Neflix style but full downloads not streaming) - you'll be drowning in games in no time, trust me ;)

Maybe, but those are games that are chosen for you. I would prefer to choose my own games.

This makes me pretty excited for the next gen xbox, the one after Scorpio. I don't know if it would be worth it to get a console that plays games in 4K, because I don't know what a 4K game looks like. I wish there were demo stations for PS4 pro, so I could see if it's a big enough deal or not.

Top Bottom