• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios (& Partners) Current and Future Landscape

JlNX

So this is not how the game plays?

Or this?

Or this which is the latest dev diary of the game that shows me nothing new I haven't already seen.

Unless there's way more to the game they haven't shown. And if so then it's not good to have any footage of it for a game releasing this year.

All I'v seen for NPC's are skeletons you shoot on certain islands when your looking for specific treasure that might be a quest. And things like mermaids which are mainly used as warp points to get you back to land if your ship sinks.

If they are holding a bunch back then they have done a shit job showing this game.

The game is definitely not coming out this year first of, what footage have you seen of crackdown, state of decay or Forza? they are all coming out this year. It's quite common for MS games especially the trinity to not show much at all until closer to release.

The game is actively in development and is taking a community driven design, you can't market a game or aspects of it until you nail it down with your community. Rare's approach to testing is slow very piecemeal, everything is thought out methodically. The same way blizzard handles it, and in fact blizzards model has been used to describe the way in which they are going about it. Your only going to see what the community likes and Rare team is happy to sign off upon as final. It will start of slow but as we get further along in testing more and more will get added quicker and quicker up until a open beta and then release.

Your right there is a lot they are not showing, the skeletons are simply there to test spawn rate and accuracy for the rest of the game, mermaids have more of a purpose than a spawn point. They are set up in a specific way just like ferry of the damned for the alpha testing. In terms of quests there is a lot more variance, a lot of the world role specific quests are not implemented as roles are not yet implemented. Think of it as Rare has version 1.0 but it's unfinished, buggy, still in testing and final design hasn't been signed of on for even the alpha yet. Were as we are on version 0.1, rather than most testing we won't get jumps in 0.1's but rather 0.01's, as they finish of aspects of the game and polish to were their happy they implement them one piece at a time very slowly. As they get more confident in it's design as it's building on the already testing fundamentals and systems it will speed up just like in any game development timeline.

They multiply the size of the map and the variance multiple times in short gaps. For example the sword (dancing around this) would be finished in their version 1.0 but instead of implementing that whole system, they would implement just the fundamental aspect maybe leaving out the combos. They polish that then add another aspect, polish again and so forth until it would be fully implemented. This games alpha is more polished than the vast majority of release games, which is adding more time in development as it's being polished during development rather than towards the end. But you would find out a lot more to what Rare's doing with the game if you read over a lot of the posts in the insider forums. It's dangerous for Rare to talk about elements of the game to even insiders until there finished let alone the wider public or to market them.

But I agree if the way the game has been shown at the last two E3's is the way they intend to market it then they are royally fucked. Those showing's were awful, I don't know why they don't just at E3 do a 10 minute video quickly cutting between the different aspects and systems of the game. A fallout 4 style deep dive would be great or even just post 2-3 hours of raw gameplay going through the daily loop and a few teasers for the other activities.

Come on man in the beginning of 2017 we've received a lot more from the competitors, Sony and Nintedo.

I am going to eventually buy all 3 games you mention, along with the Scorpio and Forza, but come one those games are not in the same league as what we've seen on PS4 and even Switch. None of those are GOTY content, maybe Sea of Thieves if it revolutionizes gaming in some way, if not they are all going to be solid fun, but nothing amazing.

BOTW is a GOTY material game as is Horizon and Persona( for some). Other than that there has been Gravity Rush, Ni-oh, Mario KArt 8 re-releasing soon.

My X1 has not been turned on at all this year and that is sad since IMO the MS hardware is the best. If it only had the games to back it up.

MS is playing safe or just doesn't have the games yet. I truly hope this changes in E3 this year and we get new and soon to come games other than these 3 and Forza/Halo/GoW

edit: whoops totally forgot about some of the indie or other games I am happily waiting for like Cuphead, but When is that or the other releasing?

I don't get what you're trying to say? You time travelled eight months into the future and have played those games I mentioned and can now assuredly say that they are "not in the same league as what we've seen on PS4 and even Switch. None of those are GOTY content." I just want to make sure im picking you up correctly?

And you want three games that are not Halo/Gears/Forza, what about the ones I mentioned, lol.

Im trying to understand the narrative that is being pushed here.

Papacheeks

Banned
The game is definitely not coming out this year first of, what footage have you seen of crackdown, state of decay or Forza? they are all coming out this year. It's quite common for MS games especially the trinity to not show much at all until closer to release.

The game is actively in development and is taking a community driven design, you can't market a game or aspects of it until you nail it down with your community. Rare's approach to testing is slow very piecemeal, everything is thought out methodically. The same way blizzard handles it, and in fact blizzards model has been used to describe the way in which they are going about it. Your only going to see what the community likes and Rare team is happy to sign off upon as final. It will start of slow but as we get further along in testing more and more will get added quicker and quicker up until a open beta and then release.

Your right there is a lot they are not showing, the skeletons are simply there to test spawn rate and accuracy for the rest of the game, mermaids have more of a purpose than a spawn point. They are set up in a specific way just like ferry of the damned for the alpha testing. In terms of quests there is a lot more variance, a lot of the world role specific quests are not implemented as roles are not yet implemented. Think of it as Rare has version 1.0 but it's unfinished, buggy, still in testing and final design hasn't been signed of on for even the alpha yet. Were as we are on version 0.1, rather than most testing we won't get jumps in 0.1's but rather 0.01's, as they finish of aspects of the game and polish to were their happy they implement them one piece at a time very slowly. As they get more confident in it's design as it's building on the already testing fundamentals and systems it will speed up just like in any game development timeline.

They multiply the size of the map and the variance multiple times in short gaps. For example the sword (dancing around this) would be finished in their version 1.0 but instead of implementing that whole system, they would implement just the fundamental aspect maybe leaving out the combos. They polish that then add another aspect, polish again and so forth until it would be fully implemented. This games alpha is more polished than the vast majority of release games, which is adding more time in development as it's being polished during development rather than towards the end. But you would find out a lot more to what Rare's doing with the game if you read over a lot of the posts in the insider forums. It's dangerous for Rare to talk about elements of the game to even insiders until there finished let alone the wider public or to market them.

But I agree if the way the game has been shown at the last two E3's is the way they intend to market it then they are royally fucked. Those showing's were awful, I don't know why they don't just at E3 do a 10 minute video quickly cutting between the different aspects and systems of the game. A fallout 4 style deep dive would be great or even just post 2-3 hours of raw gameplay going through the daily loop and a few teasers for the other activities.

Yea a little 10 minute live playthrough showing different aspects of the game would do wonders. Also if they are making this game similarly like a Early access game with community feedback being the driving force on development decisions this game is not going to have a huge audience.

If it is not a 2017 game then they need to correct course and show tons of new exciting gameplay not a video with a bunch of streamers and developers playing against one another. Which is a lot of what they have shown. Surprised they are making the game this way.

RARE is super talented, I wonder if their budget for this is really small? Because the way it's being showcased has made it feel like F2P game rather than a 59.99 AAA.

SamNW

I don't get what you're trying to say? You time travelled eight months into the future and have played those games I mentioned and can now assuredly say that they are "not in the same league as what we've seen on PS4 and even Switch. None of those are GOTY content." I just want to make sure im picking you up correctly?

And you want three games that are not Halo/Gears/Forza, what about the ones I mentioned, lol.

They don't have to know what the final product looks like to know that they're not super enthused right now and that's a problem for Microsoft. Maybe they'll ultimately come around, but right now it seems like the majority of the hardcore games audience is just not that excited for Xbox's upcoming exclusives.

JlNX

Come on man in the beginning of 2017 we've received a lot more from the competitors, Sony and Nintedo.

I am going to eventually buy all 3 games you mention, along with the Scorpio and Forza, but come one those games are not in the same league as what we've seen on PS4 and even Switch. None of those are GOTY content, maybe Sea of Thieves if it revolutionizes gaming in some way, if not they are all going to be solid fun, but nothing amazing.

BOTW is a GOTY material game as is Horizon and Persona( for some). Other than that there has been Gravity Rush, Ni-oh, Mario KArt 8 re-releasing soon.

My X1 has not been turned on at all this year and that is sad since IMO the MS hardware is the best. If it only had the games to back it up.

MS is playing safe or just doesn't have the games yet. I truly hope this changes in E3 this year and we get new and soon to come games other than these 3 and Forza/Halo/GoW

edit: whoops totally forgot about some of the indie or other games I am happily waiting for like Cuphead, but When is that or the other releasing?

Sony or Nintendo's lineup have nothing to do with his point at all. Who's to say they aren't in the same league, a open world survival AAA RPG sequel whose small budget origins was critically praised to the moon and back. Crackdown a game that is doing something completely new with cloud tech that fundamentally changes physics in games. Sea of thieves has as much chance as Destiny 2 as being game of the year, even tho multiplayer games rarely ever get GOTY overwatch being the rare outlier.

It's not their problem if your XB1 isn't your main platform, for example when scorpio comes out that will be my main platform with PC, PS4 and switch being treated as secondary platforms for just exclusives. I will get the most use out of it, everyones situation is different. You state you want something more than Forza/Gears/Halo yet this is the year were that stigma is stupid to bring up when the three new games are SOD/SOT/CD3 three new pillars.

Yep, I don't understand there post at all your point could not be more true than this year. Three new innovative games rather than the usual trinity. It's mostly people don't want or care enough to pay attention, yet they moan halo, gears and Forza. That's more on MS fault for not making them stand out more, the amount of people that either forget SOD or SOT exist is remarkable for a enthusiast forum.

LKSmash

They don't have to know what the final product looks like to know that they're not super enthused right now and that's a problem for Microsoft. Maybe they'll ultimately come around, but right now it seems like the majority of the hardcore games audience is just not that excited for Xbox's upcoming exclusives.

There's a difference between not being enthused and "assuredly declaring them not to be in the same category as Sony and Nintendo" despite the games not being released. He's still right to question his ability at time manipulation.

And that's fine. I have no interest in playing any of the games that poster mentioned apart from Horizon, maybe I'm not hardcore enough?

Swings and roundabouts, horses for courses and all that jazz. Roll on E3 :)

When it comes to see of thieves, based on the footage shown so far, the base game looks really solid. It looks smooth and the graphics are really nice. I've participated in a few beta tests before and most have been very rough around the edges on almost every aspect.

I'd say more but I can't, thanks NDA.

SamNW

And that's fine. I have no interest in playing any of the games that poster mentioned apart from Horizon, maybe I'm not hardcore enough?

Swings and roundabouts, horses for courses and all that jazz. Roll on E3 :)
It doesn't have anything to do with how "hardcore" you are—I'm not trying to imply that and I think it's a fairly stupid and meaningless term anyway. My point is—however odd it may be to preemptively say that X is not as good as Y—it's sufficiently concerning for Microsoft that a lot of people are down on what they have coming.

JlNX

Yea a little 10 minute live playthrough showing different aspects of the game would do wonders. Also if they are making this game similarly like a Early access game with community feedback being the driving force on development decisions this game is not going to have a huge audience.

If it is not a 2017 game then they need to correct course and show tons of new exciting gameplay not a video with a bunch of streamers and developers playing against one another. Which is a lot of what they have shown. Surprised they are making the game this way.

RARE is super talented, I wonder if their budget for this is really small? Because the way it's being showcased has made it feel like F2P game rather than a 59.99 AAA.

I think audience will be absolutely fine, if that was the case then none of blizzards games would have big audiences. The core concepts and design principles are theirs the polish, content, testing and features is were the community comes in. Rare about 2-3 years ago was restructured internally to be designed around the GAAS model and have taken to it very well. It's very similar in structure to what blizzard would be like, community driven and live team supported. It's definitely a full price game going by recent comments and multiple statements and insiders have talked about the very high costs for SOT, GAAS games are not cheap to make look at destiny's and divisions costs. Bear in mind it appears Rare have another story driven GAAS in development as well which will likely be their next project after sea of thieves as they have a live team set up and ready to support the game with content after release.

(They weren't streamers they were actually fans from reddit and forums that had built a community and were invited out to the studio. None the less a bad way to show the game.)

Papacheeks

Banned
It doesn't have anything to do with how "hardcore" you are—I'm not trying to imply that and I think it's a fairly stupid and meaningless term anyway. My point is—however odd it may be to preemptively say that X is not as good as Y—it's sufficiently concerning for Microsoft that a lot of people are down on what they have coming.

I'm with you, if there was more excitment we would have way more chatter in this thread than in Sony's First party thread.

Also when you look at promotional videos on Youtube for MS games their view counts are extremely low.

So I would say you have a point, and not everyone in this thread will agree with you, but there is evidence to what you say.

It doesn't have anything to do with how "hardcore" you are—I'm not trying to imply that and I think it's a fairly stupid and meaningless term anyway. My point is, however odd it may be to preemptively say that X is not as good as Y, it's sufficiently concerning for Microsoft that a lot of people are down on what they have coming.

That is true. It doesn't help that we haven't heard a peep out of CD3 and SoD2 in a year or even longer. It's hard to get enthused when you don't know what something is.

And people being down on MS this gen is nothing new and shouldn't reflect a games quality or perception, although on a site like this that can sometimes get lost in the conversation.

JlNX

Well when next to nothing of the games have been shown, there is fairly little to get excited about. It will be a quick hype to release launch schedule more than likely, which means MS has to nail presenting their games. The thing their worst at. For example the gears of war E3 2015 debut only has 800,000 views were as the gears 4 first 2016 before E3 trailer had 16 million views, that is a quick ramp up in excitement in a short period of time.

JlNX

Nothing to see here, move along people :)
d6xPsoi.gif
modernfamily_letmeseethat.gif

But really let me see it!!!

The games MS are currently putting out aren't the problem, they just need to put out more games is something I want. I look at the first half of the year and I see a missed opportunity, they could really fill it up with more titles.

I also think they have invested in new IPS but they have abandoned a lot of them this gen, they should be aiming for a balance between staple franchises and new IPS. What I personally view right now before E3 is that they are in a rough position based on comments
from insiders.

Two of their biggest franchises Halo and Gears have declined, the new IPS they've pumped out this gen have for the most part have flopped and their other projects have been cancelled. Games like Fable Legends and Scalebound certainly ate up a lot of money.

I would love to be proved wrong but at this point in the generation I think MS is going to be very selective in what they fund. AA projects like Recore will continue along side their current mainstays. I don't think they are interested in investing crazy in AAA projects right now because I think from a business perspective they would rather launch them alongside a new generation.

They did the same this generation as well. The latter years of the 360 were trinity focused alongside Kinect yet when this gen started we saw game investment out of the gate it's just they didn't sustain it with all the things that hit them in the market.

I actually view the decline of Halo and Gears as a negative because I feel it's made MS risk adverse when you add in all the lost money on their other projects. IMO the point of the trinity should be to pick up the slack for titles that don't do crazy numbers but add diversification to the platform and bring people in to the ecosystem.

Sony or Nintendo's lineup have nothing to do with his point at all. Who's to say they aren't in the same league, a open world survival AAA RPG sequel whose small budget origins was critically praised to the moon and back. Crackdown a game that is doing something completely new with cloud tech that fundamentally changes physics in games. Sea of thieves has as much chance as Destiny 2 as being game of the year, even tho multiplayer games rarely ever get GOTY overwatch being the rare outlier.

It's not their problem if your XB1 isn't your main platform, for example when scorpio comes out that will be my main platform with PC, PS4 and switch being treated as secondary platforms for just exclusives. I will get the most use out of it, everyones situation is different. You state you want something more than Forza/Gears/Halo yet this is the year were that stigma is stupid to bring up when the three new games are SOD/SOT/CD3 three new pillars.

Maybe you misunderstood my post?

I get that you are very excited for those games, as am I, but realistically what are the chances of any of them becoming amazing games? I'd say as good a chance as a game like Horizon had. My point is Horizon already came out and is a great GOTY candidate by early 2017, the same as the Zelda game. MS has no exclusives worth mentioning this far into 2017.

I also do not realistically think those 3 games are their new pillars as you seem to think they are. I truly hope I am proven wrong but I just don't see it. Sea of Thieves is the one I have most hopes for since I have read about it and looked through the beta thread, but the other two? What news of those in how long. It doesn't give me great hope that they will turn out to be not good, but amazing games.

I am saying in a year that has already given us two of the better games of the decade, MS has yet to prove it with any amazing game and (hoping I am wrong) those they do have announced don't seem to fit the bill. It is more disappointing for me since the Scorpio seems to be the best console hardware ever.

I hope in E3 they have an amazing showing of CD3/SoT or something new because if not I will be a bit disappointed.

Why are you trying to be confrontational?

There is not narrative I am pushing I am just saying both Sony and Nintendo have released great games in the beginning of 2017, games that can be considered GOTY quality. At this point MS has not had that game I know because my Xbox has been off all year. All 3 will still release a game in the remainder of 2017 so there is still chance, but they are behind on my expectations

If you read I mentioned I am pumped and will buy Scorpio and the 3 games mentioned, but knowing how people are and knowing my taste I don't see those 3 games being that amazing. Definitely a great time, but not that, but who knows maybe I am wrong. I'd be happy to be wrong, but my gut feelings doesn't say so. I feel you didn't read my original post right.

I get that you are very excited for those games, as am I, but realistically what are the chances of any of them becoming amazing games? I'd say as good a chance as a game like Horizon had. My point is Horizon already came out and is a great GOTY candidate by early 2017, the same as the Zelda game. MS has no exclusives worth mentioning this far into 2017.

I also do not realistically think those 3 games are their new pillars as you seem to think they are. I truly hope I am proven wrong but I just don't see it. Sea of Thieves is the one I have most hopes for since I have read about it and looked through the beta thread, but the other two? What news of those in how long. It doesn't give me great hope that they will turn out to be not good, but amazing games.

I am saying in a year that has already given us two of the better games of the decade, MS has yet to prove it with any amazing game and (hoping I am wrong) those they do have announced don't seem to fit the bill. It is more disappointing for me since the Scorpio seems to be the best console hardware ever.

I hope in E3 they have an amazing showing of CD3/SoT or something new because if not I will be a bit disappointed.

There is not narrative I am pushing I am just saying both Sony and Nintendo have released great games in the beginning of 2017, games that can be considered GOTY quality. At this point MS has not had that game I know because my Xbox has been off all year. All 3 will still release a game in the remainder of 2017 so there is still chance, but they are behind on my expectations

If you read I mentioned I am pumped and will buy Scorpio and the 3 games mentioned, but knowing how people are and knowing my taste I don't see those 3 games being that amazing. Definitely a great time, but not that, but who knows maybe I am wrong. I'd be happy to be wrong, but my gut feelings doesn't say so. I feel you didn't read my original post right.

All I am trying to say is maybe lay off the factual statements like

but come one those games are not in the same league as what we've seen on PS4 and even Switch. None of those are GOTY content

You don't know this, simple as. That's a fact.
Of course you can express your concern for the Xbox first party output but you'll be better criticising games that have released over ones that haven't.

Also, I'd probably say don't buy a Scorpio. If you haven't switched on your Xbox this year and you don't think those games I mentioned will be anything special then save your money and buy things you'll get enjoyment out of.

All I am trying to say is maybe lay off the factual statements like

You don't know this, simple as. That's a fact.
Of course you can express your concern for the Xbox first party output but you'll be better criticising games that have released over ones that haven't.

Also, I'd probably say don't buy a Scorpio. If you haven't switched on your Xbox this year and you don't think those games I mentioned will be anything special then save your money and buy things you'll get enjoyment out of.

I will get enjoyment out of my Scorpio regardless because I can switch my exclusives there and still use it for UHD movies and stuff. But see even you would not advise me to buy it for the exclusives coming alone and that is concerning as the exclusives I mentioned on other systems would have made me buy a new system for them.

Also I did not state anything as fact at all, you took it that way. It is merely my opinion and it is based on my likes and what I see as being popular these days in gaming. In 2017 we have already seen amazing exclusive game showing from Sony and a pretty strong launch game from Nintendo. The one MS game I was truly excited about was cancelled and I have heard nothing about any others.

Again I hope I am proven wrong, but myself and many other have the opinion that they are not very enthused with the games they've announce and it doesn't help that other than SoT they really haven't showed anything about those games. YOu'd have to be crazy to not be a little bit concerned.

blakep267

Can't wait for E3 so we don't have same discussion over and over
ITll never stop. The narrative will change from "they have no games" to "these games aren't exciting or instant GOTY contenders and doesn't get the hardcore crowd hyped" as seen above. As if a game is a failure if it's not GOTY and hyping up the Internet is a metric for games you like

I guess I am sorry if I added to some narrative. I wasn't aware of it. You can look at my posts I am fairly new here.

In the end I just want games and I said I am excited for what is to come in 2017 even if it doesn't have me pumped. It's just that as of April2017 we've received some top notch quality exclusive games from others, games that are GOAT contenders even and nothing worthwhile to play on my x1/PC.

I'll see myself out.

Papacheeks

Banned
ITll never stop. The narrative will change from "they have no games" to "these games aren't exciting or instant GOTY contenders and doesn't get the hardcore crowd hyped" as seen above. As if a game is a failure if it's not GOTY and hyping up the Internet is a metric for games you like

While I agree, You can't deny the lack of excitement around MS's first party offerings. Especially when you release a game like Halo wars 2 and it's forgotten by the time it releases.
The videos for Microsoft's games are very low compared to others as well, which can at least in a rude assessment be looked at for how excited people are for MS's games.

Which in it's current state is at all time low. Their games are not selling, and they are not the talk of the town currently at trade shows like E3.
Which is why we are here talking about their first party efforts. Which lately have been pretty mediocre outside of staple franchises like halo and gears, and even then interest in those is waning.

While I agree, You can't deny the lack of excitement around MS's first party offerings. Especially when you release a game like Halo wars 2 and it's forgotten by the time it releases.
The videos for Microsoft's games are very low compared to others as well, which can at least in a rude assessment be looked at for how excited people are for MS's games.

Which in it's current state is at all time low. Their games are not selling, and they are not the talk of the town currently at trade shows like E3.
Which is why we are here talking about their first party efforts. Which lately have been pretty mediocre outside of staple franchises like halo and gears, and even then interest in those is waning.
I was just gonna reply saying basically the same thing

Speaking in hypotheticals here, but let's say they announce 2 new IP's at E3. Then they have 3 new IP's in the pipeline that we know of, those 2 and SoT. If they can't make those games excite people outside of the core Xbox faithful then it won't matter, they won't sell. MS isn't gonna keep funding games that lose money forever. They need something that can do for them what Halo and Gears did for them back in the day: get people to buy an Xbox

Salty Hippo

I can only speak for myself, but as one of the biggest Xbox cynics on GAF I would be plenty satisfied with their E3 if they showed 5 brand new games that look promising, that are console/Win10 exclusive and that are not called Halo or Forza.

Ori 2 is probably a lock, so 4 to go.

Pretty much, six more Mondays to go until Xbox shows some new (bestest ever) games or closes down the division, lol.

JlNX

I feel like you don't read your own posts to be honest, Bits N Pieces post that you replied to had nothing to do with Sony or Nintendo nor does it changes what his post says. You go on to say that you don't think either of the three games are capable of being GOTY, we both gave you clear reasons why it's possible. Bits N Pieces proceeded to ask you if you could time travel, a good question to ask some one who declares they are not on the same level as Sony or Nintendo despite the game having not yet been released. You declared rather than said your not excited, those are two very different points for example someone could not be very excited by Zelda.

You go on to say you haven't turned on your Xbox in over a year. I make the point that if it's not your main platform then of course it wouldn't, a very reasonable point. You call MS hardware the best but the majority of games are platform agnostic which makes your point very odd. You say MS is playing it safe or doesn't have the games yet, but this point is baffling as they have the three mentioned. You then go on to make a weird point that you want more than just gears/halo/forza when this year they are not focused on those but these three other franchises.

You then go on to walk this back in your reply to me by giving the same chance as horizon were as before it had none. You then change the point to only rely on released games rather than upcoming because as mention before your not a time traveller. You say you haven't seen much of the games so that gives you concern but for example you only found out about Forza horizon 3 3 months before it launched and yet it was very much a GOTY contender with amazing reviews. This is common for MS games to have a short unveil to release, especially with Phil only recently saying he will not focus on a game or unveil until it's ready (due in part to Scalebound.)

You state so much as fact, no not as opinion there is a clear difference. You then say it's based upon what you see as popular these days, yet you say you were most excited for Scalebound a game that was not popular. A shared world game (very popular) a survival game (very popular) and a GTA open world style game made even by the creator of GTA with a similar online component (very popular.)

Bits N Pieces then goes on to say you shouldn't get a scorpio if none of the games excite you, very clearly. You then proceed to concern troll by saying that some how implies doubt in those games or future exclusives. Guess what people if people didn't find zelda or horizon exciting he would also advise them not to get those systems, it doesn't change wether those games are good or not. Probably not great to say "But see even you."

I feel like you don't read your own posts to be honest, Bits N Pieces post that you replied to had nothing to do with Sony or Nintendo nor does it changes what his post says. You go on to say that you don't think either of the three games are capable of being GOTY, we both gave you clear reasons why it's possible. Bits N Pieces proceeded to ask you if you could time travel, a good question to ask some one who declares they are not on the same level as Sony or Nintendo despite the game having not yet been released. You declared rather than said your not excited, those are two very different points for example someone could not be very excited by Zelda.

You go on to say you haven't turned on your Xbox in over a year. I make the point that if it's not your main platform then of course it wouldn't, a very reasonable point. You call MS hardware the best but the majority of games are platform agnostic which makes your point very odd. You say MS is playing it safe or doesn't have the games yet, but this point is baffling as they have the three mentioned. You then go on to make a weird point that you want more than just gears/halo/forza when this year they are not focused on those but these three other franchises.

You then go on to walk this back in your reply to me by giving the same chance as horizon were as before it had none. You then change the point to only rely on released games rather than upcoming because as mention before your not a time traveller. You say you haven't seen much of the games so that gives you concern but for example you only found out about Forza horizon 3 3 months before it launched and yet it was very much a GOTY contender with amazing reviews. This is common for MS games to have a short unveil to release, especially with Phil only recently saying he will not focus on a game or unveil until it's ready (due in part to Scalebound.)

You state so much as fact, no not as opinion there is a clear difference. You then say it's based upon what you see as popular these days, yet you say you were most excited for Scalebound a game that was not popular. A shared world game (very popular) a survival game (very popular) and a GTA open world style game made even by the creator of GTA with a similar online component (very popular.)

Bits N Pieces then goes on to say you shouldn't get a scorpio if none of the games excite you, very clearly. You then proceed to concern troll by saying that some how implies doubt in those games or future exclusives. Guess what people if people didn't find zelda or horizon exciting he would also advise them not to get those systems, it doesn't change wether those games are good or not. Probably not great to say "But see even you."

That is not at all what I meant by my post. At this point you are putting words in my mouth and creating your own narrative.

I was most pointing to what HeisenbergWW62 and Papacheeks are saying. No real excitement for those games, not even from MS marketing end, you two are the one creating some exciting narrative with no facts, comparing it to Destiny 2 even when it isn't even close.

In the end I don't know so it is just an opinion so I don't know why you attack as if I said them as fact. 'Im out.

I can only speak for myself, but as one of the biggest Xbox cynics on GAF I would be plenty satisfied with their E3 if they showed 5 brand new games that look promising, that are console/Win10 exclusive and that are not called Halo or Forza.

Baseless speculation here, but I'm feeling 2 new IP's. One lower budget AA game a la Recore and one bigger service driven game like Sea of Thieves. I just refuse to believe they only have Halo/Forza/Ori to announce after only having Forza/SoD2 last year

Side note but re: SoT, they need to be careful not to release it near the rumored Ubisoft pirate game. The rumor is that is an online service driven game as well and would eat up potential SoT sales regardless of which game is better

JlNX

That is not at all what I meant by my post. At this point you are putting words in my mouth and creating your own narrative.

I was most pointing to what HeisenbergWW62 and Papacheeks are saying. No real excitement for those games, not even from MS marketing end, you two are the one creating some exciting narrative with no facts, comparing it to Destiny 2 even when it isn't even close.

In the end I don't know so it is just an opinion so I don't know why you attack as if I said them as fact. 'Im out.

No I take the words from your post as what they directly mean in the language we call english. If you have an issue forming sentences that aren't what you mean that's not my misinterpretation. Now you are taking stuff from our posts and melding it to fit a escaping narrative, the very thing you accused us wrongly of. Your very first post stated it as fact in plain and simple english no other way to interpret it, your following posts walked that back by changing it to opinion to avoid your point while denying the fact you once stated it as fact. If you can't see that then this conversation is done.

I think they'll easily have 4 that fall under that criteria.

Wedzi

Banned

Ori 2
Crackdown 2
Sea of Thieves
State of Decay 2
Ashen?

I just want that perspective
anton-ego-300x300.jpeg

Ori 2
Crackdown 2
Sea of Thieves
State of Decay 2
Ashen?

I just want that perspective

He qualified his statement with "brand new" so what he means is that Crackdown 2, Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2 and Ashen could all be amazing but he won't be satisfied about E3 unless Microsoft announces Ori 2 and four other games that he deems interesting.

JlNX

I was just gonna reply saying basically the same thing

Speaking in hypotheticals here, but let's say they announce 2 new IP's at E3. Then they have 3 new IP's in the pipeline that we know of, those 2 and SoT. If they can't make those games excite people outside of the core Xbox faithful then it won't matter, they won't sell. MS isn't gonna keep funding games that lose money forever. They need something that can do for them what Halo and Gears did for them back in the day: get people to buy an Xbox

Halo Wars 2 was a niche game to begin with, to use that as a bar for MS excitement would be very off. When you look at most MS games the view count when it is very first debuted is usually very low then increases massively towards launch, it's just their marketing strategy over the years. To show how extreme it can be Gears unveiling at E3 2015 had a pitful 800,000 views, while the trailer just before E3 had closer to 16 million. It's mostly because MS barely show anything of their games until closer to launch. So in short it's vary rude assessment. It's hard to get excited for any of this years games yet as we haven't even seen gameplay of them. We know they have 7 unannounced games in development that are not internal projects that's not including Ori 2. I would guess one of those is a KI sequel, thats six. Are those six projects new IP or revivals, are they this year or next or the year after that, will we see them this year or next year. Who knows? we can easily guess when all their internal projects are releasing from Rare, 343, Coalition, Turn 10 and playground under turn10 and when the announced non internal games are coming out. SOD this year and Crackdown this year. Microsoft's biggest problem is presenting games, I think that is why there is not more excitement early on not the games themselves.

Salty Hippo

I think they'll easily have 4 that fall under that criteria.

I should also mention the condition that those 5 games can't be ID@XBOX games in their majority. Not that indies don't count, but that would confirm Xbox's aversity to risk. 2 out of 5 indies would be acceptable to me. And to be clear, I consider Ori a type of indie game.

I still maintain my original prediction of only Ori 2, a new ID@XBOX game and a new AA IP on top of Halo 6 and Forza 7. But we'll see.

He qualified his statement with "brand new" so what he means is that Crackdown 2, Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2 and Ashen could all be amazing but he won't be satisfied about E3 unless Microsoft announces Ori 2 and four other games that he deems interesting.

Correct. E3 for me is all about new game annoucements. I don't need bombastic stuff like KOTOR 3 or anything like that. But it won't be an easy task for Microsoft to come up with 5 great new things in their current First-Party situation.

Papacheeks

Banned
Pretty much, six more Mondays to go until Xbox shows some new (bestest ever) games or closes down the division, lol.

Who's saying that?

Were just saying that on the outside looking in which others in the past like Shinobi, even MH Williams on a article have said that MS has an issue with their First party output, and even then drumming up excitement seems to be an issue for them.

Which if you looked at activity on this post wise compared to Sony's there are almost three times the amount of posts.

And if you look at official youtube videos of games, coverage of E3 for all three platforms Xbox seems to be at the lower spectrum specifically with their games.

I should also mention the condition that those 5 games can't be ID@XBOX games in their majority. Not that indies don't count, but that would confirm Xbox's aversity to risk. 2 out of 5 indies would be acceptable to me. And to be clear, I consider Ori a type of indie game.

I still maintain my original prediction of only Ori 2, a new ID@XBOX game and a new AA IP on top of Halo 6 and Forza 7. But we'll see.

Correct. E3 for me is all about new game annoucements. I don't need bombastic stuff like KOTOR 3 or anything like that. But it won't be an easy task for Microsoft to come up with 5 great new things in their current First-Party situation.

There's nothing stopping them from contracting with third parties to make them exclusives though, so I don't think it'll be a tough task for MS to have a bunch of big exclusives.

Wedzi

Banned

Well AA titles are all but dead. You'll get lots of indies and maybe a AAA game that qualifies. To expect 5 large but not AAA, though not quite indie, is strange and unrealistic.

Personally I really don't care what CGI trailers they drag out for projects just entering development. We already did that in E3 2014 that wasn't that just a roaring success. I'm just hoping the 5 games I mentioned are well received and are humming right along to release. Then maybe at least one surprise at the end but I maintain my prediction that we'll get those five, lots indies, Forza 7, no Halo mention, OG Xbox game revival like Voodoo Vince (probably Mechassault) with a large Crackdown 3 demo to finish off.

sam12

I really hope Microsoft improves on couple of things

First is of course an increasing volume of games besides the usual 3 and if they are investing in a new game then don't send it out half baked. Take time to polish it and make sure it's worth the money. What good is a game like Recore when you don't even treat it properly. Sony really surprises me with how strong their exclusives come out. Barring of course the Order, majority of their exclusives are top notch. Nintendo of course has trustworthy and bankable IPs. Phil Spencer says a lot of things, one being that he wants to be like Nintendo. Well Nintendo takes proper care of their franchises and does not put them out either in yearly sequels or a sequel every 3 years. I believe the last Zelda came out 6 years ago, unlike Halo which is is 3 years overkill.

Also please provide for the single player as well. Exclusives really matter, just look at Sony or Switch. Switch sold essentially because of Zelda

black070

For whatever reason, I actually had no idea State of Decay 2 was going to be a AAA retail release - that's definitely the exclusive I'm most hyped for now that Scalebounds out of the picture. Sea of Thieves doesn't really seem like my type of game and I'm withholding judgement on Crackdown 3 until I see more. E3 will definitely be interesting for Microsoft.

sam12

I expect creativity from Microsoft, always have since original Xbox, but if it's only Crackdown, SOD, SOT, Forza, Ori 2 and Halo 6 shown then it's not worth it for me to continue to support Microsoft.

First is of course an increasing volume of games besides the usual 3 and if they are investing in a new game then don't send it out half baked. Take time to polish it and make sure it's worth the money. What good is a game like Recore when you don't even treat it properly. Sony really surprises me with how strong their exclusives come out. Barring of course the Order, majority of their exclusives are top notch. Nintendo of course has trustworthy and bankable IPs. Phil Spencer says a lot of things, one being that he wants to be like Nintendo. Well Nintendo takes proper care of their franchises and does not put them out either in yearly sequels or a sequel every 3 years. I believe the last Zelda came out 6 years ago, unlike Halo which is is 3 years overkill.

Also please provide for the single player as well. Exclusives really matter, just look at Sony or Switch. Switch sold essentially because of Zelda

Though I agree with the majority of your post and personally won't be picking up Recore until the Definitive Edition, the bolded is only true if you completely ignore every handheld release. There has been a new Zelda at least every other year since 1998.

sam12

Though I agree with the majority of your post and personally won't be picking up Recore until the Definitive Edition, the bolded is only true if you completely ignore every handheld release. There has been a new Zelda at least every other year since 1998.

See but those feel completely unique to me compared to the console zeldas. Plus they actually all provide for the single player unlike a Halo which has mainly become about multiplayer experience.

Strootman

I expect creativity from Microsoft, always have since original Xbox, but if it's only Crackdown, SOD, SOT, Forza, Ori 2 and Halo 6 shown then it's not worth it for me to continue to support Microsoft.
Add cuphead and ashen to that list. I don't think it's a bad line up at all. Thing is, these games need to top notch. Of course there must be more for 2018/19.

sam12

Add cuphead and ashen to that list. I don't think it's a bad line up at all. Thing is, these games need to top notch. Of course there must be more for 2018/19.

True
exclusives released so far not counting Forza or older game collections

Ryse-Flawed
Dead Rising 3- fun but not in the league of its predecessor
Dead Rising 4- flawed
Recore- flawed
Gears 4- not in the same league as predecessors and a very safe sequel
Halo Wars 2- did this even sell? No hype nothing
Crimson Dragon- well below Panzer Dragoon
Halo 5- multiplayer focus only
Quantum Break- fun instances but flawed
Killer Instinct- fun fighting game
Sunset Overdrive- 2nd best exclusive
Ori- best exclusive they have had

So they have made different types of games but how many really hit it out of the park as a complete package? Ori mostly and Sunset to an extent. That isn't good for 3+ years

Strootman

True
exclusives released so far not counting Forza or older game collections

Ryse-Flawed
Dead Rising 3- fun but not in the league of its predecessor
Dead Rising 4- flawed
Recore- flawed
Gears 4- not in the same league as predecessors and a very safe sequel
Halo Wars 2- did this even sell? No hype nothing
Crimson Dragon- well below Panzer Dragoon
Halo 5- multiplayer focus only
Quantum Break- fun instances but flawed
Killer Instinct- fun fighting game
Sunset Overdrive- 2nd best exclusive
Ori- best exclusive they have had

So they have made different types of games but how many really hit it out of the park as a complete package? Ori mostly and Sunset to an extent. That isn't good for 3+ years
Why not counting Forza? Horizon 2/3 are masterpieces.

Agree with you tho on games. Also one thing that really bother me about ms games is the lack of polishness on animations. Jeez, look at ReCore/Gears 4/Halo 5 and even Crackdown 3 from the small pieces of campaign they showed. It's like they don't care and don't put attention to details.

Salty Hippo

Well AA titles are all but dead. You'll get lots of indies and maybe a AAA game that qualifies. To expect 5 large but not AAA, though not quite indie, is strange and unrealistic.

Personally I really don't care what CGI trailers they drag out for projects just entering development. We already did that in E3 2014 that wasn't that just a roaring success. I'm just hoping the 5 games I mentioned are well received and are humming right along to release. Then maybe at least one surprise at the end but I maintain my prediction that we'll get those five, lots indies, Forza 7, no Halo mention, OG Xbox game revival like Voodoo Vince (probably Mechassault) with a large Crackdown 3 demo to finish off.

I didn't restrict AAA, I said I want the majority of the 5 games games to not be indies. So 3 across AAA and AA. A ReCore-esque AA project is very likely. An exclusivity on Playground's new game is possible. Add another third-party new IP, or an interesting reboot/sequel to a beloved game like Banjo, Perfect Dark or Crimson Skies and there you go. It's not easy, but definitely not impossible. I'm still not counting on it.

And yes, these games need to look promising via gameplay. Teasers or CG trailers won't qualify for me unless it's from a very, very proven developer. They've had that before with Platinum and Scalebound and it went to shit, but I'd be willing to give Spencer the benefit of the doubt as Scalebound was not signed with him as the boss.

100% agreed.

Top Bottom