• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Studios (& Partners) Current and Future Landscape

Sony or Nintendo's lineup have nothing to do with his point at all. Who's to say they aren't in the same league, a open world survival AAA RPG sequel whose small budget origins was critically praised to the moon and back. Crackdown a game that is doing something completely new with cloud tech that fundamentally changes physics in games. Sea of thieves has as much chance as Destiny 2 as being game of the year, even tho multiplayer games rarely ever get GOTY overwatch being the rare outlier.

It's not their problem if your XB1 isn't your main platform, for example when scorpio comes out that will be my main platform with PC, PS4 and switch being treated as secondary platforms for just exclusives. I will get the most use out of it, everyones situation is different. You state you want something more than Forza/Gears/Halo yet this is the year were that stigma is stupid to bring up when the three new games are SOD/SOT/CD3 three new pillars.

Yep, I don't understand there post at all your point could not be more true than this year. Three new innovative games rather than the usual trinity. It's mostly people don't want or care enough to pay attention, yet they moan halo, gears and Forza. That's more on MS fault for not making them stand out more, the amount of people that either forget SOD or SOT exist is remarkable for a enthusiast forum.

If SoT doesn't come out this year, as many gafers seem to believe, than it is only Crackdown 3 and SoD2 that are not part of the Halo/Gears/Forza. All games with a letter at the end. 60% of the big games being from their standard three pillars. That's far from what Sony is doing. Sony has had several new IP released this year already and getting high praise at that.

I don't mean to be a bummer, I'm an Xbox guy mainly. However, right now I have very little reason to turn the Xbox on. I'm cautiously optimistic because of all the platform improvements and Scorpio, but MS has to prove themselves AGAIN that they are able to have a diverse, creative and high quality first party output. Sony has it. Nintendo, even by playing on existing IPs are able to diversify, surprise and impress with their games. I don't know how many Zelda games there are, I'm guessing at least around 20, but BotW still knocked it out of the park.

I'm hopeful, but MS will have to step it up for me to truly get back in. It's ok to be happy with Xbox's output, but it is definitely a trend that people are skeptical or tired of their first party output.

Trago

What will really impress me at E3 is if we see brand new IP's announced from first party. 343, The Coalition, and Turn10 should do something totally new.

What will really impress me at E3 is if we see brand new IP's announced from first party. 343, The Coalition, and Turn10 should do something totally new.

I find it naive to think that will happen. It is not unthinkable that Playground Games' new studio will develop another Xbox exclusive, though.

Bsigg12

I find it naive to think that will happen. It is not unthinkable that Playground Games' new studio will develop another Xbox exclusive, though.

It's likely a few years out though.

I would love to see some sort of side project from 343. Doesn't necessarily need to be Halo related either though they have a massive universe they can play with and bring some fresh takes to Halo.

The Coalition is likely onto Gears 5 as well as Scorpio updates for Gears 4 and overall UE4 tech for the Scorpio that will be used first party wide as well as some 3rd parties like Square Enix.

I hope Rare announces another project as well as a solid release date on Sea of Thieves or a Game Preview release.

Cool enough, but it contained nothing new as far as I could tell. Sadly, I'm getting tired of these by now.

It sure is a lot of fun to play!

If the Big Three studios are secretly working on new IPs, I'd reckon whatever they're doing would be kept quiet on a lid until the unveiling of the next Xbox.

How big is Rare these days? Any chance they're working on more than one project like in the glory years?

About 200~ people, according to LinkedIn.

And Rare is a multiple project studio, even now. Sea of Thieves is likely their chief priority, but they are working on other stuff too.

Battletoads is often the go-to rumoured project #2 from Rare, no thanks to the abundance of T-Shirts.

Wedzi

Banned
If the Big Three studios are secretly working on new IPs, I'd reckon whatever they're doing would be kept quiet on a lid until the unveiling of the next Xbox.

That's a big old if. And as far as some of the insiders who visit this forum know, no such new games are in development. (Unless you mean like waaaaay early in development concept stage not gonna see for 3 to 4 years plus then sure why not lol)

I would say this E3 is gonna be a reckoning for Xbox fans but if you've stuck around after the last two showings then you might be likely to just stick around no matter what they throw out lol. Scorpio and the promise of better looking third parties will be enough to satisfy the hardcore Xbox fan, and cheap Xbox One S Madden and FIFA bundles will be enough to grab a large amount of casual gamers who haven't picked up a new console yet.

For Xbox gamers waiting for that wave of big new fresh games not named Halo or Forza
n29Pqd.gif

Bsigg12

I really do fail to see the concept of playing this game alone, like the guy did in most of the video. Gameplay feels really rough.

The alpha is currently about the matchmaking and doesn't have any of the support to play alone in it, which will be an option in the final game. Trying to solo these tests is a practice in having a shitty time.

The alpha is currently about the matchmaking and doesn't have any of the support to play alone in it, which will be an option in the final game. Trying to solo these tests is a practice in having a shitty time.

Do we know what will change if you play solo in the final game? With such a huge world playing solo seems idiotic. I doubt you will have the option to play this game alone.

Bsigg12

Do we know what will change if you play solo in the final game? With such a huge world playing solo seems idiotic. I doubt you will have the option to play this game alone.

They've been pretty clear in their posts on the Insider forums that they'll have things in place to support people who want to play alone. While the game will be best experienced in a crew, they know some people will want to lone wolf it so having things in place to support that will be there.

That's a big old if. And as far as some of the insiders who visit this forum know, no such new games are in development. (Unless you mean like waaaaay early in development concept stage not gonna see for 3 to 4 years plus then sure why not lol)

I would say this E3 is gonna be a reckoning for Xbox fans but if you've stuck around after the last two showings then you might be likely to just stick around no matter what they throw out lol. Scorpio and the promise of better looking third parties will be enough to satisfy the hardcore Xbox fan, and cheap Xbox One S Madden and FIFA bundles will be enough to grab a large amount of casual gamers who haven't picked up a new console yet.

For Xbox gamers waiting for that wave of big new fresh games not named Halo or Forza
n29Pqd.gif

What's wrong with Crackdown 3 and State of Decay 2? Please explain how State of Decay appeals to the casual crowd outside of (zombies lol). Posts like yours are ridiculous. Odds are the next games made by the Coalition and 343 will be a Gears and Halo game but you're completely ignoring anything else.

The bottom line is that Gears, Halo and Forza will continue to get made until they aren't selling anymore or they don't see a future in those series. (lol) all you want but it wasn't long ago that it was Gears, Halo, Forza, Fable. Fable is gone and they are pouring big dollars into a brand new IP.

Wedzi

Banned
What's wrong with Crackdown 3 and State of Decay 2? Please explain how State of Decay appeals to the casual crowd outside of (zombies lol). Posts like yours are ridiculous. Odds are the next games made by the Coalition and 343 will be a Gears and Halo game but you're completely ignoring anything else.

The bottom line is that Gears, Halo and Forza will continue to get made until they aren't selling anymore or they don't see a future in those series. (lol) all you want but it wasn't long ago that it was Gears, Halo, Forza, Fable. Fable is gone and they are pouring big dollars into a brand new IP.

I'd rather not.

Any source on this, or is it just speculation?

eerik9000

343 Industries and The Coalition are named after elements from the franchises they work on. Why do people expect them to be anything other than just Halo and Gears factories?

Widge

n29Pqd.gif

Well this will be an interesting test. If there is one thing Microsoft is very very good at doing it is supporting new hardware with launch software - early years of 360 excellent, Kinekt lots of support, XB1 great launch window. So I would be surprised if Scorpio is going to launch with a whimper.

The big problem is everything that happens after that point as you slip into the core IP trinity cycle.

Theorry

There are gonna be smaller one man ships. And the world is pretty big so you dont come across other players all the time.

rrc1594

If you're looking forward to new Ip from MS it's not coming from 1party studios, so we have to WAIT till E3 to see who they could have partnered with.

If you're looking forward to new Ip from MS it's not coming from 1party studios, so we have to WAIT till E3 to see who they could have partnered with.

Bingo! No one saw Crytek, Insomniac or Platinum (oops) etc coming.

Although a new aquisition or them building a new internal team would do wonders for their public perception.

Ushay

Can't say I disagree with this sentiment, if there are any new IP being built in house it will likely come from Rare or Coalition. Best bet is on a 2nd party working on new IP.

I'm not 100% sure what MS thinking is, but they have a trend of staking new IP on 2nd party efforts as opposed to in house (Sunset Overdrive for example). Personally I couldn't care less where the game comes from as long as it gets released, but I can see why people are getting frustrated with MS lack of focus in this area.

I think we will have at least one new IP from MS themselves and 1 or 2 new IP from other studios.

I'm referring to Sea of Theives. It is apparently very expensive.

Bingo! No one saw Crytek, Insomniac or Platinum (oops) etc coming.

Although a new aquisition or them building a new internal team would do wonders for their public perception.

They won't announce an acquisition at E3. That's just not something that you can keep a lid on. Steverules would probably be telling us all about any hiring updates at MGS. They are going to roll with what the have for now.

Sea of Thieves?

Well this will be an interesting test. If there is one thing Microsoft is very very good at doing it is supporting new hardware with launch software - early years of 360 excellent, Kinekt lots of support, XB1 great launch window. So I would be surprised if Scorpio is going to launch with a whimper.

The big problem is everything that happens after that point as you slip into the core IP trinity cycle.

This isn't a new console generation. You didn't see the Xbox team have a 'launch lineup' for X1 S, did you? While there will be more software initiatives going live around the time Scorpio drops (Scorpio patches for older X1 games), expecting them to have a launch lineup that is anywhere near as big as a new console generation is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

How much did previous CD sell? It's seems they are putting a lot in CD3.
The multiplayer was very fun when I played it a couple years ago. I think while the SP will be fun they are probably putting a lot of faith in people sticking around for the MP (and it will likely give them more ways to extend the monetization of the title)

How much did previous CD sell? It's seems they are putting a lot in CD3.

CD1 sold an inflated amount due to it being a gateway to a Halo 3 beta at the time. CD2's numbers were way lower, and it was also very poorly received critically. And as someone pointed out earlier in this thread, its having social metrics on par with Sea of Thieves, which is abysmally low and a new IP on top of that.

They'll probably stick the Halo 6 beta in CD3 unless they're lying about Halo 3 anniversary. Not that Halo is as big as it was when 3 came out, but it should still boost sales. Plus if they can deliver with the destruction I can see casuals jumping on it, even if there's no depth beyond blowing stuff up

Wedzi

Banned

Well Scorpio is just a hardware refresh so it's a little different than past new hardware that plays new software that you can't play else where. Spencer mentioned that all of their studios are working on getting their current titles up and running on Scorpio. So expect support for Halo 5, Horizon 3, Gears 4, Recore, as well as Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2. There isn't going to be a large surprise exclusive that will launch along side Scorpio unless they feel like pulling a Fallout 4 but as far as we know, there is no such game in development.

They'll probably stick the Halo 6 beta in CD3 unless they're lying about Halo 3 anniversary. Not that Halo is as big as it was when 3 came out, but it should still boost sales. Plus if they can deliver with the destruction I can see casuals jumping on it, even if there's no depth beyond blowing stuff up

I've thought about this but now I just think that'll piss off the community ten-fold. Most betas are given away for free or for pre order these days and now you want to put it behind a $60 pay wall for a game that might not even be very good? Plus open betas have shown to actually increase sales for games so they'll want to put it in as many hands as possible.

Chris1

I say put the Halo beta with Crackdown. Push Crackdown as much as possible.

Does a Halo beta have that much push these days though ? there's nothing particularly wrong with it but in a time period where practically every game has a free open beta, I don't think locking Halo 6 behind a $60 purchase will move much at all. If it's a week early people will just wait, too.

Does a Halo beta have that much push these days though ? there's nothing particularly wrong with it but in a time period where practically every game has a free open beta, I don't think locking Halo 6 behind a $60 purchase will move much at all. If it's a week early people will just wait, too.
I would think so. The impact of Halo has dropped over the years but it is still Halo. It should provide an okay or maybe even decent bump to Crackdown.

Wedzi

Banned
It won't piss off no one buy CD3 play Halo 6 beta week early or something along those lines. They did it with MCC for Halo 5 beta

If it's a week early that's fine but if you wanted to play the Halo 5 beta you had to have MCC, no other way. It'll piss off Halo fans if they have to buy CD3 to play a beta when every other game does other wise. It's not 2007 anymore.

RoKKeR

CD1 sold an inflated amount due to it being a gateway to a Halo 3 beta at the time. CD2's numbers were way lower, and it was also very poorly received critically. And as someone pointed out earlier in this thread, its having social metrics on par with Sea of Thieves, which is abysmally low and a new IP on top of that.

You keep going back to social media metrics... these are games that haven't had any big bursts of news (i.e. conference showing) or marketing in months, and are still yet a ways away from release. I understand SOT has been more active recently, with the technical Alpha, but that is still a relatively small-scale venture aimed at their existing player base.

It just seems like a silly metric to keep pointing to at a time when there is virtually zero marketing happening for either admittedly niche game... what do you expect? That's not to say it's an irrelevant statistic, but it's probably best served to judge the effectiveness of a focused marketing campaign as release dates draw nearer.

Space_nut

I wonder if Crytek may be working on something especially to show off Scorpio. I'd like a brand new ip pushing thier tech or a Ryse 2

Wedzi

Banned
You keep going back to social media metrics... these are games that haven't had any big bursts of news (i.e. conference showing) or marketing in months, and are still yet a ways away from release. I understand SOT has been more active recently, with the technical Alpha, but that is still a relatively small-scale venture aimed at their existing player base.

It just seems like a silly metric to keep pointing to at a time when there is virtually zero marketing happening for either admittedly niche game... what do you expect? That's not to say it's an irrelevant statistic, but it's probably best served to judge the effectiveness of a focused marketing campaign as release dates draw nearer.

He's basing it off their E3 showings plus how well they're tracking over time. This kind of stuff determines marking budgets and how much marketing a game receives is detrimental to how it sells. If MS doesn't see a lot of interest in Sea of Thieves, it'll get minimal marketing, minimal marketing means lower sales, lower sales means were less likely to get more games from MS.

HAjxdUS.jpg

pXTEbIl.jpg

Chobel

State of Decay 2 is shaping to be the most hyped MS game this holiday, ironically it's probably gonna get the least marketing push from MS.

blakep267

It is silly. It would be more meaningful if these things were actually being talked about and the metrics were low. Crackdown hasn't had a showing in almost 2 years. Of course nobody is talking about it. That'd be weird if they were. Sea of thieves has an alpha under NDA and people can't stream it on twitch or post YouTube videos. State of decay got a Cg trailer 10 months ago. He's trying to downplay games that have no reason to be talked about to make some kind of point

Are Crackdown and sea of thieves bigger than God of war? No. Is that what he's trying to say. I mean duh

Papacheeks

Banned
It is silky. It would be more meaningful if these things were actually being talked about and the metrics were low. Crackdown hasn't had a showing in almost 2 years. Of course nobody is talking about it. That'd be weird if they were. Sea of thieves has an alpha under NDA and people can't stream it on twitch or post YouTube videos. State of decay got a Cg trailer 10 months ago. He's trying to downplay games that have no reason to be talked about to make some kind of point

Look at Wedzi's post.

If you've got games slated for 2017 we should have been seeing game play for them long ago leading up to their release year. Looking back at how Uncharted, Bloodborne, Crash trilogy, Horizon have been promoted and shown it equates to the buzz,hype and sales that tend to follow.

None of the games that are suppose to come out this year like crackdown 3 and state of decay have had any significant push or footage to drum up excitement. Usually you show the game with a trailer and a light demo of gameplay, then as time goes on you give bigger more detailed final build of the game in vids showing what and how the game is played or about.

And usually that's at a E3 months before the game releases. But here we are at least 2 of the games we are talking about have shown little to no game play and release this year. Not a good sign and not a good strat to drum up hype around the title to increase potential sales.

They seem to be putting everything on scorpio for showcasing first part efforts, which really is not a great approach for your games where the majority of your customer base have xbox one's.

Top Bottom