• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

April 2017 NPD (U.S. Hardware) Predictions - Closes Tuesday, May 9th

WillySJ3

Banned
So, no MS PR today :/

Come on guys, you should say something, anything, please give us more of those weird statistics we all love. Don't be ashame.

Unknown?

So, no MS PR today :/

Come on guys, you should say something, anything, please give us more of those weird statistics we all love. Don't be ashame.
"Including today, we've had more pr statements than our competition combined." *

* Our competitors are Ouya and N Gage

It's so strange this time around with the switch. Stock is nowhere to be found from Abdiel and Obliterator's posts but yet the resale prices on ebay are fairly low. They're mostly going for like $370 to $400 which is basically no profit on a console that's about $330 after tax.

NPD threads on gaf lately lol

53224754.jpg

sirronoh

Does that mean you guys finally coordinated to release both media release and Top Charts on the same day now or do you just mean Top Charts only next week?

I'm not 100% sure but I thought Mat confirmed this in last month's thread. So if true, the public info should be available on Monday.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I'm not 100% sure but I thought Mat confirmed this in last month's thread. So if true, the public info should be available on Monday.

Couldn't find it in the other thread. Still, I would like Mat to chime in and clarify whether now the hardware datas are distributed in the same week charts and othet datas become public.

ethomaz

Banned
That is what happens since NPD added digital... PR is next Thursday.

The issue is that is the first time we don't get any data from the consoles places that is tracked by the physical data released yesterday to clients.

We got at least XXX #1 this month and some small client PRs (MS and Nintendo).

If physical data was released to clients yesterday then nothing changed... just that we didn't get the places this time.

sirronoh

Couldn't find it in the other thread. Still, I would like Mat to chime in and clarify whether now the hardware datas are distributed in the same week charts and othet datas become public.

Yep, my mistake. I was mixing up these two threads:
-http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=232908945&highlight=#post232908945
-http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=232890505&postcount=478

Earlier this year there was discussion around ways to improve the public release of NPD information and one of the ideas floated to help do this was combining the physical and digital reports into one PR release, instead of publicizing physical on the second Thursday of the month and digital a week later. At the time Mat suggested the idea was in the works but it was a long ways away.

With no data being provided as normally scheduled for this month however, I assumed that something must've changed in that regard. We'll have to wait for further clarification on what (if anything) changed this month but it sounds like we'll get info for April with the digital release next week.

ethomaz

Banned
Piper Jaffray analyst Michael Olson notes April NPD video game software sales were up 9% year-over-year, helped by the launch of Nintendo's (NTDOY) Switch console Top titles for the month included Nintendo's The Legend of Zelda: Breadth of the Wild and Mario Kart 8, Olson tells investors in a research note. The April numbers are less material since Activision Blizzard (ATVI) and Electronic Arts (EA) recently announced guidance for the June quarter, the analyst adds. He keeps an Overweight rating on those two names along with Take-Two Interactive (TTWO).

https://thefly.com/landingPageNews.php?id=2551577

9% up for software doesn't look good for MK8 unless there are a strong release last year.

Elandyll

Banned
So Matt confirmed that physical data went to clients today... Wonder why no PR at all, and not even a small NPD blurb about hardware/ retail markets.

I guess Monday it is.

Hi all.

So, nothing's changed on timing of NPD's releases. While we are still targeting getting physical and digital data out on the same day with the media release, we're not there yet.

Physical data went to clients yesterday. But, as is the case every month, NPD's media release will be out with the full physical and digital data release next week.

And, as is the case every month, I can't speak to the release until the media release next week.

I have no insight or knowledge of why any client would or wouldn't decide to do any PR around the physical release.

Nothing's changed in terms of process. Naji and I will be around next Thursday to answer questions about the media release when it goes public.

NPD want's to get both done on the same day
and the information gamesindustry or venturebeat reports mostly came from NPD

so if the Platformholder now also come to an mutual agreement, to not do any PR before the chart release, you don't get anything. Or it's just a coincident

Leaks would be a third option, but leaks are rare anyway these days

Hi all.

So, nothing's changed on timing of NPD's releases. While we are still targeting getting physical and digital data out on the same day with the media release, we're not there yet.

Physical data went to clients yesterday. But, as is the case every month, NPD's media release will be out with the full physical and digital data release next week.

And, as is the case every month, I can't speak to the release until the media release next week.

I have no insight or knowledge of why any client would or wouldn't decide to do any PR around the physical release.

Nothing's changed in terms of process. Naji and I will be around next Thursday to answer questions about the media release when it goes public.

Thank you, good sir.

ethomaz

Banned
April 2016 Software: $203.9 million in March 2016 (down 21 percent from $256.7 million)

That put this month at ~$222 million.

The TOP seller this year is probably close to DS3 last year... DS3 did around 500k.

ethomaz

Banned
Nah, I think he means we already know that MK8D did well and was the fastest selling MK title in USA, 459k day one alone.
That digital.

NPD tracks only retail for Nintendo... that means it could be 200k, 300k, 400k, etc.

We don't know how it did in NPD and being only 9% up yoy doesn't look good for the new releases (I just forget P5 because well in my mind it was a 2016 game).

cakely

No leaks and no PR announcements? Not even something about MAU from the normally chatty Microsoft?

I am dissapoint.

Elandyll

Banned
Apparently Sega shipped 1.5m P5 WW by April (not sure if including JP which dates from Sept 2016).

Depending how much they actually sold of that, added to online, there's a decent chance P5 might top Npd it seems.

That digital.

NPD tracks only retail for Nintendo... that means it could be 200k, 300k, 400k, etc.

We don't know how it did in NPD and being only 9% up yoy doesn't look good for the new releases (I just forget P5 because well in my mind it was a 2016 game).

You should go back over what you just said.

jonno394

That digital.

Yeah but either way, your "doesn't look good for mk8d" is wholly off the mark as y'know, it's doing VERY well.

ethomaz

Banned
NPD want's to get both done on the same day
and the information gamesindustry or venturebeat reports mostly came from NPD

so if the Platformholder now also come to an mutual agreement, to not do any PR before the chart release, you don't get anything. Or it's just a coincident

Leaks would be a third option, but leaks are rare anyway these days
It is a comincidence... clients already has the physical data on hands but surprising this month they did not release any PR.

You should go back over what you just said.
I can repeat if you wish.

NSESN

That digital.

Nintendo has terrible digital share tho.

MTC100

Banned
Can you imagine if the PS4 outsells the Switch in April! (Gaf reaction)
I know I lowballed the PS4 numbers, but demand for PS4 is still strong isnt it? With Ninty struggling to supply, it could happen.

Demand is good but April is just April, not a very exciting month for gaming or for buying a system exactly now. The Switch on the other hand still is very hot on the market and selling out left and right. The best bet would be for the Switch Numbers in April: Everything Nintendo can ship and that should be more than ~200k the PS4 will likely sell again.

AmuroChan

Apparently Sega shipped 1.5m P5 WW in April (obviously outside of JP).

Depending how much they actually sold of that, added to online, there's a decent chance P5 might top Npd it seems.

How much of that 1.5m is in NA? Also, are NPD numbers shipped numbers or sold through to consumers?

Top Bottom