• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: 4K gaming: what can PC learn from PlayStation Pro?

Caayn

The bottom line is that native 4K output may be preferable in terms of pristine crispness, but often, when we carry out our pixel counts, PS4 Pro's 'Faux K' upscaling and checkerboarding techniques look much better on our 4K screens than the numbers would suggest. And for the PC, tapping into this can be problematic: beyond full HD support, many UHD TVs only accept 1440p and full 2160p output, when our tests suggest that 1800p rendering is a good target for mainstream GPUs like the GTX 1060.

With the GTX 1060, we could take a title like CD Projekt RED's The Witcher 3 and run it well above 30fps on ultra-level settings (performance-killing HairWorks disabled, of course), but quality tweaks could potentially bring this title to a native 4K30. It's an interesting game to test the GPU scaler with, owing to its high detail, high contrast artwork and its less advanced anti-aliasing (it looks like FXAA or a custom off-shoot of it). Of course, being a straight upscale, the result is soft, but again, the impact is less pronounced in motion on an actual 4K screen owing to the combination of extreme pixel density and sample and hold. The performance win is substantial though - dropping from 4K to 1800p saw frame-rates rise by around 40 per cent.

The GTX 1060 is more capable than the PS4 Pro's GPU, and we're able to use similar upscaling techniques to achieve improved results. We're also able to take advantage of the platform's inherent scalability on the existing library of titles. There is no PS4 Pro patch for The Witcher 3, whereas the PC version scales up to 4K and beyond. However, there are two further crucial techniques we've seen on PS4 Pro where adoption on PC is spotty to say the least: dynamic resolution scaling and checkerboarding.

There's only spotty checkerboarding support in PC titles, but Watch Dogs 2's so-called temporal filtering is a great example. Ubisoft's work in this area has been exceptional, and while the performance increase isn't quite in line with console implementations, our tests show a clear 35 per cent uplift with only a minor visual impact. For our PC tests, we followed Pro's example, using the game's internal scaler to target 1800p with temporal filtering also enabled.

So what's the takeaway here? The fact is that PC gaming still has a lot to learn from the consoles, and PS4 Pro in particular, when it comes to addressing a 4K screen. For a start, there's the whole concept of 'bang for the buck'. We're perhaps too wedded to the idea of global presets in PC game settings - if everything isn't ramped up to ultra, there's the feeling that somehow, we're losing out on the complete experience when the reality is much more about diminishing returns. Console titles only rarely offer a visual feature set that's a match for a particular PC preset, often employing a mixture of low, medium and high settings from the menu available. Sometimes, PC can offer dramatic improvements at ultra - Battlefield 1's terrain quality is vastly improved over consoles, for example - but often, you don't need to have everything ramped up to the max to have a beautiful presentation on a 4K screen. With that said, some settings maxed won't bother your GPU regardless of resolution - it really is best to experiment.
Article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-4k-gaming-what-can-pc-learn-from-ps4-pro
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSpHONwyBqg

Eolz

So basically, PC could learn by doing fake 4K, and dynamic resolution scaling?
Ehhh.

edit: since some like to quote without reading other posts: I've never said those options couldn't be in. Just that the former is a bad priority, and the latter is already done on PC.

BigEmil

So basically, PC could learn by doing fake 4K, and dynamic resolution scaling?
Ehhh.
You clearly don't know what your talking about, it's just fanboy shitpost ideology to just brush it off and call checkerboarding etc as just mere 'fake 4k'. Options is always good

Vuze

"Watch Dogs 2's so-called temporal filtering is a great example"

Except for the god awful ghosting while driving and general fuzziness. I turned it on while playing on TV because the artifacts are less visible at high distance but it's an absolute no-go for monitor gaming.
It's a nice optional setting but suggesting everybody should go all in on this tech is... questionable.

If a PC gamer dont have a 4K capable GPU, he's most likely doesn't have a 4K monitor to take advantage of fake 4K at all
Good point too.

Tagyhag

I think it would be nice to have the options. I'd never use them at all, especially with how close I sit to my monitor that I can instantly tell. But checkerboarding is a great feature for its low-cost impact.

The more options the better! That is what PC gaming is all about really. Total control over the experience. I'm aiming for 1440p 144/165Hz G-Sync with my current build. So I am going to buy a 1080 To. That way if I want I can downsample from 4K and still get 60FPS if I want.

I'll just get a GTX 1180 when it becomes a thing along with one of those LG OLEDs (hopefully 2017 ones will be getting discounts then) and enjoy real 4K 60 fps.

HDR is still a thing that needs to be fixed on PC. You shouldn't need an Nvidia API for that.

Zojirushi

Weird that they think a 1060 would make a good 1800p card.

My 980ti is struggling enough already at 1440p when you turn up some settings to get decent IQ and target 60fps, so I leave it at 1080p most of the time.

Other than that I most certainly would welcome an upscaling option like this.

I'll just get a GTX 1180 when it becomes a thing along with one of those LG OLEDs (hopefully 2017 ones will be getting discounts then) and enjoy real 4K 60 fps.

HDR is still a thing that needs to be fixed on PC. You shouldn't need an Nvidia API for that.

Resident Evil 7 already supports HDR on PC.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
If a PC gamer dont have a 4K capable GPU, he's most likely doesn't have a 4K monitor to take advantage of fake 4K at all
That's where you're wrong.

A lot of people use their PCs on a TV and 4K TVs are becoming common. I'm only running at GTX980ti which is enough for 4K in some games but falls short in many others.

What you're not getting is that checkerboard 4K looks virtually identical to "real" 4K when played on a TV at a normal or even close viewing distance. You need to be very close to the screen to appreciate any difference and the difference is often very subtle.

...but it saves a TON of performance and looks dramatically better than standard 1440p. Being able to do this on my TV would be an amazing thing that would allow me to enjoy better image quality on more games.

Dynamic resolution scaling would also be a great thing since a lot of games can hit 60fps at 4K maybe 75% of the time but the drops are just too annoying forcing me to drop resolution. With resolution scaling, it would be possible to enjoy higher resolutions whenever possible with dips in image quality occurring rather than dips in performance which is FAR more noticeable and distracting.

I don't understand why anyone would be against these options.

I'm already running a 4K OLED and, I'm telling you, the difference between checkerboard and "real" 4K is very minimal unless you're sitting a foot away from the TV. I don't think people get just how convincing it can be.

Wouldn't mind it if checkerboarding was a thing you could do on PC. Its a much better solution then sub native res + upscalling.

But given Nvidias knack of kneecapping older cards, adding such a feature doesnt seem like something they would get behind

Thats probably not gonna be true for much longer.

Much like how 4k's TV's have basically phased out 1080p TV's I expect the same thing to happen with PC's soon and unfortunately anything other then the higher end GPU's are capable for really taking advantage of that resolution right now.

We will soon live in a world where every Dell is coming with a 4k screen and a crappy GPU

Backlogger

I have zero interest in 4K gaming right now. Give me stable frame rates over 60 fps and increase performance everywhere else at 1080 to 1440p first.

I'm a total PC fanboy, but even I hate the snobbery of those against checker-boarding based on some sort of weird elitist principle. If there's an way to get better graphics with lower hardware requirements at the expense of image quality, then why not have the option? If you don't want to use it, then turn it off.

laxu

Weird that they think a 1060 would make a good 1800p card.

My 980ti is struggling enough already at 1440p when you turn up some settings to get decent IQ and target 60fps, so I leave it at 1080p most of the time.

I think it might be happening if they aim for 30 fps ala consoles. A 980 Ti runs most current games at about 30 fps in native 4K.

I do agree that we could use checkerboard rendering and dynamic resolution in PC games too. It works well for consoles and looks great in games like Horizon. I haven't tried how it looks on a desktop monitor though where you are viewing the image at a much closer range.

Eolz

This.
edit: as in similarly buying a 144Hz monitor. Or some super expensive headphones without the proper content and/or hardware behind.
Of course you could get a 4K monitor. But if you don't have the hardware for it...

You clearly don't know what your talking about, it's just fanboy shitpost ideology to just brush it off and call checkerboarding etc as just mere 'fake 4k'. Options is always good

Why not have options?

It's not about not putting those options in (some games already have dynamic resolution scaling available on PC for example), it's about pushing that as a good thing to learn from consoles.
It's nice for older GPUs, but it shouldn't replace support and optimization for proper 4K on good GPUs.

I'm sorry but checkboarding not being proper 4K is not "fanboy shitpost ideology". It just isn't 4K, even if you tweak that. Reminds me of the excuses for DmC about how their 30fps game was tweaked to look like 60fps (it didn't) or other graphical solutions being made to say "it's the same!".
There's nothing wrong with that, as long as you don't start lying about what it really is.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
That's where you're wrong.

A lot of people use their PCs on a TV and 4K TVs are becoming common. I'm only running at GTX980ti which is enough for 4K in some games but falls short in many others.

What you're not getting is that checkerboard 4K looks virtually identical to "real" 4K when played on a TV at a normal or even close viewing distance. You need to be very close to the screen to appreciate any difference and the difference is often very subtle.

...but it saves a TON of performance and looks dramatically better than standard 1440p. Being able to do this on my TV would be an amazing thing that would allow me to enjoy better image quality on more games.

Dynamic resolution scaling would also be a great thing since a lot of games can hit 60fps at 4K maybe 75% of the time but the drops are just too annoying forcing me to drop resolution. With resolution scaling, it would be possible to enjoy higher resolutions whenever possible with dips in image quality occurring rather than dips in performance which is FAR more noticeable and distracting.

I don't understand why anyone would be against these options.

I'm already running a 4K OLED and, I'm telling you, the difference between checkerboard and "real" 4K is very minimal unless you're sitting a foot away from the TV. I don't think people get just how convincing it can be.
This so much. As a fan of performance and image quality, I say bring on the checkerboard rendering to PC already! It will be a good thing.
I don't see how anyone with a functioning brain can possibly argue against this as an added option.

Zojirushi

I think it might be happening if they aim for 30 fps ala consoles. A 980 Ti runs most current games at about 30 fps in native 4K.

Sure. Personally I'm not a fan of running high resolutions at low framerates though, as soon as you turn the camera everything's disappearing in that 30fps movement smear so why even bother.

Something like checkerboard would be awesome for next gen cards though, 4K TVs will be even more of a thing and mainstream GPUs will be able to handle 1800p checkerboard at 60fps and good IQ.

All games should have internal resolution scaling options and dynamic resolutions modes. Even if you can hit 4k at a good FPS it is nice having dynamic resolution to enable supersampling, Titanfall 2's implementation is great. Also I think Nvidia's multi res shading (as used in Shadow Warrior 2) could be adapted into an interesting way to do dynamic resolution.

One thing PC can learn from console is dynamic settings adjustment. That stuff worked wonder in Forza Apex and Horizon 3, and I hope it takes off because it's a pretty big deal.

What I hope PC never learns from consoles is that checkerboard bullshit. I wouldn't touch that or any kind of temporal reconstruction (ahem Ubisoft) with a 10 foot pole. The artifacts and ghosting are just awful. I like my games to render natively and *actually* render at their claimed res.

Zojirushi

One thing PC can learn from console is dynamic settings adjustment. That stuff worked wonder in Forza Apex and Horizon 3, and I hope it takes off because it's a pretty big deal.

What I hope PC never learns from consoles is that checkerboard bullshit. I wouldn't touch that or any kind of temporal reconstruction (ahem Ubisoft) with a 10 foot pole. The artifacts and ghosting are just awful. I like my games to render natively and *actually* render at their claimed res.

Stuff on PS4 pro has artifacts and ghosting? Never heard of that.

Caayn

Dynamic resolution scaling should be a thing. I only have experience with in Gears 4 but it works great to keep the FPS steady.

Also checkerboard rendering should give better results with higher framerates, which PC allows for, due to the differences between samples being smaller.

Having these two as options on PC would be great.

pa22word

4k monitor adoption is stupidly miniscule right now. This article is kind of like saying what does the 2017 Yankees have to learn about playing in the world series from past Yankee teams that played in the world series...at the start of the season.

By the time people actually start playing at 4k I'm sure the gpu manufacturers will start to have more options. Until then Nvidia and AMD probably just don't really care about spending money on driver level features only 3% of the audience can use, most of which probably already have gpus powerful enough to run at 4k in the first place.

As the owner of a 4K display, a PS4 Pro, and a 1080 Ti I agree wholeheartedly with this article. The Ti has made great strides toward allowing 4K at the consumer level but we're still not at the point of maxing out every single game at that res and who knows when similar performance will available to people unwilling to waste an absurd amount of money to brute force it.

Framerate aside, Horizon: Zero Dawn with its "fake" 4K is one of the best looking games I've played in a long time, on any platform. To say that the PC couldn't benefit from similar rendering techniques is absolute folly.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
This.
edit: as in similarly buying a 144Hz monitor. Or some super expensive headphones without the proper content and/or hardware behind.
Of course you could get a 4K monitor. But if you don't have the hardware for it...

It's not about not putting those options in (some games already have dynamic resolution scaling available on PC for example), it's about pushing that as a good thing to learn from consoles.
It's nice for older GPUs, but it shouldn't replace support and optimization for proper 4K on good GPUs.

I'm sorry but checkboarding not being proper 4K is not "fanboy shitpost ideology". It just isn't 4K, even if you tweak that. Reminds me of the excuses for DmC about how their 30fps game was tweaked to look like 60fps (it didn't) or other graphical solutions being made to say "it's the same!".
There's nothing wrong with that, as long as you don't start lying about what it really is.
Who said anything about replacing support and optimization for proper 4K on good GPUs? Other than you in this thread.
This will not be a replacement, but an added option. Rest easy, you'll get proper 4K support and all that jazz on high end cards of course.

I sense the fear is strong with a minority of the diehard PC gamers.

paulogy

This suggests Scorpio could learn from Pro too.

It didn't occur to me until now that some games on Pro with checkerboard 4K might actually look better than on Scorpio with native 4K if they are left with more headroom to render better frame rates, lighting & shadows, improve IQ etc.

This would be solved with Scorpio going to checkerboard 4K for those games, but I wonder how many games will let you choose down to that level.

nOoblet16

I have a GTX 1080 and while it is capable of 4K/30FPS it's not capable of 4K/60FPS. If I had the option of checkerboarding or dynamic resolution scaling then I might be able to play a lot more games at high image quality and framerate both at the same time.

This is what DF means when they say what PC gaming can learn from consoles. The advantages are NOT just limited to old GPUs because while the older GPUs get the option to play at a higher image quality at 30FPS, the modern more powerful GPUs get the option to do the same at 60FPS. So people dismissing this with comments such as "only helps old GPUs" or comments such as "oh anyone who has 4K will have a powerful GPU" (which is totally false) need to understand this.

As for checkerboarding itself, if you think it's easily noticeable or looks like crap then you haven't come across good implementation​s.

owasog

Dynamic resolution makes people keep their old graphics card longer. Makes me think NV/AMD will only implement it in the drivers of next gen cards in order to sell new "4K at 60" cards.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
4k monitor adoption is stupidly miniscule right now. This article is kind of like saying what does the 2017 Yankees have to learn about playing in the world series from past Yankee teams that played in the world series...at the start of the season.

By the time people actually start playing at 4k I'm sure the gpu manufacturers will start to have more options. Until then Nvidia and AMD probably just don't really care about spending money on driver level features only 3% of the audience can use, most of which probably already have gpus powerful enough to run at 4k in the first place.
It's not about monitors, though.

4K TVs are everywhere. I don't have a 4K monitor but I do have a 4K TV and that's where I play my PC games. It's a common setup!

What does Ubisoft have to do with anything?

Have you actually looked at a game making proper use of checkerboard? Rise of the Tomb Raider on PS4? Horizon? Deus Ex Mankind Divided (well, that annoying sharpening filter does hurt)? There are no ghosting artefacts in those games. You're talking about a different, though similar in some ways, process that does yield problems. Not the same thing.

Raide

This suggests Scorpio could learn from Pro too.

It didn't occur to me until now that some games on Pro with checkerboard 4K might actually look better than on Scorpio with native 4K if they are left with more headroom to render better shadows / improve IQ.

This would be solved with Scorpio going to checkerboard 4K, but I wonder how many games will let you choose down to that level.

I think that will be a developer thing. If checkboard means they can do fancier effect, better framerate etc, they that's fine with me!

Thats a weird example, 4k is available now on most decent 27 inch screens that are not OEM/Acer/Chinese random brand.

I think DF has a point, 1060 at the moment is overkill at 1080p on nearly every game on Ultra. Devs should be pushing hardware or atleast looking at new ways to push the limits of what they can do.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

Utilizing different techniques to achieve results on par with pricier hardware is a beautiful thing. Of course Nvidia would rather you be on the upgrade treadmill every year.

If DF is saying you can barely tell a difference then the average PC gamer certainly won't be able to. So then it's nothing more then an epeen measuring contest. I spent more money to have the actual number of 4K pixels on screen so I'm superior, even though our games look roughly the same.

Eolz

Who said what when where

Who said anything about replacing support and optimization for proper 4K on good GPUs? Other than you in this thread.
This will not be a replacement, but an added option. Rest easy, you'll get proper 4K support and all that jazz on high end cards of course.

I sense the fear is strong with a minority of the diehard PC gamers.

Good thing that I didn't say that the option shouldn't be added right?

pa22word

It's not about monitors, though.

4K TVs are everywhere. I don't have a 4K monitor but I do have a 4K TV and that's where I play my PC games. It's a common setup!

Steam hardware survey doesn't give a shit if your display device has a TV tuner in it, it just returns display resolution. Monitor or not (are we really splitting hairs this thin? Christ...), another poster was correct that no one with a 4k display device is really going to be playing on a card that can't do 4k /today/. Again, once people actually start using 4k vendors will start doing more to support it. In the future it's pretty easy to see Nvidia doing a checkerboard style rendering solution on the driver side once 4k adoption hits decent enough levels people in the xx60 and xx50 range will have 4k monitors or TVs as a default option, but today it's not surprising neither vendor is wasting their money on driver options no one would really use right now.

Top Bottom