• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Last Night" (Milkshake Duck incarnate) E3 Trailer [XBO/Win10/Steam 2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This never made sense to me.

Honestly, the whole love affair with this aesthetic strikes me as a little gross. I can recognize the effort in some of the production, but the overall design is completely derivative. Just because you copy something else that was original at one time does not make the borrowing worthwhile. This game's art design is shit pastiche from artists with actual merit. If you compare it to something like Ori the difference is fairly evident.
Indie games are so creator focused, and often with such small teams, that their influence, values, etc. often seep into the design and story of a game at a much deeper level than say a Call of Duty or Elite Dangerous

And like putting aside all the other shit with this game, trying to say the artistry here is patisiche without actual artistic merit is crazy. And cyberpunk has such a classic defined look (or at least general aesthetic foundations) that to say it's copied is like saying all noir films just copy stuff.

Wereroku

That could be very interesting, no? You think it might be too edgy? I mean if it's not just pure misogyny and crazy "the feminists are here to get us", I find the idea very intriguing. An interesting role reversal. Makes me think of a dark version of Machulski's Sexmission.

Because reading the guys posts it's going to be the feminists and SJW are here to get us. This is not going to be a dystopian take on equality being taken too far this is going to be anti-feminism and GG shit.

That could be very interesting, no? You think it might be too edgy? I mean if it's not just pure misogyny and crazy "the feminists are here to get us", I find the idea very intriguing. An interesting role reversal. Makes me think of a dark version of Machulski's Sexmission.
It would be more interesting if the creator wasn't a misogynist who actually thinks that feminism will lead to a dystopia.

Wow. I was wondering why this topic was blowing up. I love the art style but if the dev is who you're all saying he his ....... Not ever buying it.

Boke1879

If someone wants to explore those themes. Fine. But based on his tweets. These are his views and I personally have no interest in handing over my money to someone that thinks like that.

DCFQdd5VYAA76xo.jpg

Can someone interpret this tweet for me?

The only way I see it is,
"Degenerate women wish they could enjoy the excess of life and continue working while pregnant." Somehow that's a bad thing???

Wereroku

Seriously hope MS does the right thing and dumps him.

Probably won't but will keep my fingers crossed.

Yeah hopefully this gets dumped by MS before they put anymore money into advertising it.

DCFQdd5VYAA76xo.jpg

Can someone interpret this tweet for me?

The only way I see it is,
"Degenerate women wish they could enjoy the excess of life and continue working while pregnant." Somehow that's a bad thing???

Jesus Christ this dude is a true shitlord now I hope that their publisher drops them. Let them try to get GG's money on Indiegogo/Kickstarter.

DukeBobby

Judging from his tweets, that's exactly what it is.

Yeah I guess. I'm just bummed.

I'm gonna go for a walk and watch the Bethesda conference, hopefully that'll cheer me up.
Wolfenstein The New Colossus could save all of these bad vibes if it's shown. The New Order and The Old Blood were some of the most progressive FPSs of all time, so them continuing a new game with a female protag would be so awesome.

Loxley

From wenis in the GB thread:

SwRaDdS.jpg

In case you can't see it, Shannon Loftis is the GM of Microsoft Studios Publishing.

Yeah, I think MS are going to ditch their contract with this guy, they clearly had no idea what the hell they were signing up for.

DNAbro

If someone is the type of person to think GG was an appropriate thing to support, I'm not expecting a nuanced or thought provoking story about things they are against.

Kazaam

Because reading the guys posts it's going to be the feminists and SJW are here to get us. This is not going to be a dystopian take on equality being taken too far this is going to be anti-feminism and GG shit.

It would be more interesting if the creator wasn't a misogynist who actually thinks that feminism will lead to a dystopia.

Well shit... I got so excited about this game. Thought it was one of the most beautiful games I've seen from an artistic perspective.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Let's not turn this into another "Fuck Microsoft" thread. This game fooled millions.

I honestly don't think MS is to blame here. None of us knew, or most of us at least, didn't know the background on this game. I don't expect MS/Sony/Nintendo to do full background checks on social media and such when picking up a game.

That said, it'll be interesting to see if MS responds to this at all.

Wolfenstein The New Colossus could save all of these bad vibes if it's shown. The New Order and The Old Blood were some of the most progressive FPSs of all time, so them continuing a new game with a female protag would be so awesome.

Good point!

and lol @ title change

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I can separate art from the artist and I'm not afraid to explore art that challenges my beliefs or questions my values.

...but I got no time for this asshole. We're not talking about high art here.

SwRaDdS.jpg

In case you can't see it, Shannon Loftis is the GM of Microsoft Studios Publishing.

Yeah, I think MS are going to ditch their contract with this guy, they clearly had no idea what the hell they were signing up for.

Why do people hate this guy so much?

I really hope the guy comes out, apologises for his past comments and clarifies that the plot of the game has substantially changed from his original outline.

The art style of the game is just breath taking. I can't see myself not playing it. However I'd feel a right dickhead whilst doing so :(

Makai

SwRaDdS.jpg

oh no lol

Wereroku

I honestly don't think MS is to blame here. None of us knew, or most of us at least, didn't know the background on this game. I don't expect MS/Sony/Nintendo to do full background checks on social media and such when picking up a game.

That said, it'll be interesting to see if MS responds to this at all.

Good point!

and lol @ title change

Yeah this isn't on MS. I am really surprised though since usually big marketing deals like this should get extra scrutiny but we all make mistakes and the dude did lay low for a few years.

Shitty political views is one thing, but actively supporting GamerGate which was a prolonged hate and harassment campaign directed against women in the gaming industry that we're still seeing the effects of today is something awful enough on it's own to warrant skipping the game entirely.
Yeah this. Even the suggestion that you get the humble bundle and donate it to charity is just a selfish way of making yourself feel better about supporting a misogynistic asshole. That sale still counts. Completely shut him out until he changes his tune. A message has to be sent if you care about this industry's inclusiveness.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

Wut. They're not gonna ditch Blackjowicz (or however you spell it)

Some playable segments with Anya would be sweet tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom