• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"The Last Night" (Milkshake Duck incarnate) E3 Trailer [XBO/Win10/Steam 2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kin5290

Wolfenstein The New Colossus could save all of these bad vibes if it's shown. The New Order and The Old Blood were some of the most progressive FPSs of all time, so them continuing a new game with a female protag would be so awesome.
Where have you seen that it would have a female protagonist? That would be cool as hell but I don't see anything on the top Google searches.

Anyways, I will admit that the idea of "Corporate-appropriated social movement gives rise to dystopia" does seem pretty neat, as long as it makes clear that the appropriation isn't the movement. For example, take Greenwashing, which is corporations pretending to be environmentally friendly without actually being environmentally friendly.

It would be hard to do properly though, and not by these kinds of people.
He's anti-feminist so what?

Are devs supposed to be following what's popular on the political agenda?

I really don't get what a dev's political view has anything to do with the quality of his game.
He has tweets from 2014 suggesting that those political views play directly into the story of the game, and there's nothing else in his TL, the press for the game, or that game's writer who apparently posted in this thread early on who contradict that line of thinking.

MS probably wasn't fully aware of what the game was.

Dude might not have been totally forthcoming during the pitch. And that trailer did look amazing. He probably showed them a bit of the game and they signed off on it.

Would not be shocked to see articles about this tomorrow and MS removing the game from their line up.

To me this is more evidence that the game is no longer what he said he wanted it to be in those old tweets.

I doubt MS would willingly sign off on an anti-feminist game. Steam page says it's about consumerism/consumption/gamification as opposed to creativity.

DNAbro

I really don't get what a dev's political view has anything to do with the quality of his game.

Ignoring the first part, the story of the game is literally focused on his politics.

KmpDjSb.png

Buckle

That could be very interesting, no? You think it might be too edgy? I mean if it's not just pure misogyny and crazy "the feminists are here to get us", I find the idea very intriguing. An interesting role reversal. Makes me think of a dark version of Machulski's Sexmission.
This guy has some serious issues with women.

I trust him to explore those themes with as much honesty and intelligence without a warped paranoid agenda as much as I would A Birth of a Nation to portray a government run by black people.

https://twitter.com/notch/status/874069042058805249

This guy is a billionaire, he could do anything he wanted but instead he sits at his computer and flings shit at women that have been harassed, how fucking sad.

What a waste.

Dude could make positive changes to the world like funding schools or fighting climate change but instead he spends his days bitching at feminists.

Once a basement dwelling neckbeard, always a basement dwelling neckbeard.

Well, it looked interesting, but then this thread happened. Never purchasing this. I wonder how Microsoft failed to properly vet this guy...

BigDes

In this case it is because this game is being made as a political manifesto itself

Also there is the whole ties to an alt right hate group thing that most people dislike.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Bahahaha a cyberpunk future where feminism wins. What a shame... this was the most exciting thing I saw at MS's press conference. If it's in a bundle I'll play it.

From wenis in the GB thread:

SwRaDdS.jpg

In case you can't see it, Shannon Loftis is the GM of Microsoft Studios Publishing.

Yeah, I think MS are going to ditch their contract with this guy, they clearly had no idea what the hell they were signing up for.

popcorn.gif

I don't think I've ever seen a console publisher publicly call out someone they're partnering with before. But they must be burning those contracts as fast as they can.

Elandyll

Banned

Didn't he just flat out said that his anti feminist views are a basis of the game itself?

What if he was a racist and his game was about a society where the white men were chased because the minorities took over?

Would you be okay with that?

DukeBobby

When a dev's toxic political view directly influences the game, it definitely becomes a problem.

Ekai

I mean, dude literally supports a hate movement that's main goal is to harass women and minorities out of the gaming community. His shit deserves to be called out for what it is so that people who care to not give money to a horrible human being will not give it to them.

The year is 2019 and ex-cop Dick Reckard is paying 25,000 yuan a month in child support while is ex-wife is buying brand new hover cars and fucking the hottest androids. Sad!

In this case it is because this game is being made as a political manifesto itself

Also there is the whole ties to an alt right hate group thing that most people dislike.

Did he harm anyone physically or psychologically?

I mean, dude literally supports a hate movement that's main goal is to harass women and minorities out of the gaming community. His shit deserves to be called out for what it is so that people who care to not give money to a horrible human being will not give it to them.

There are plenty of people who believe or support crazy things.

Does it have anything to do with the quality of the product they produce?

In this case, does it have anything to do with the gameplay?

From what I've read, the dev is an unpleasant person at best. People usually want to avoid contact with those people, including anything they create.

That tweet explicitly suggests that he is not an egalitarian. An egalitarian wouldn't care that women want to use artificial uteri to avoid dealing with the pains of pregnancy. In fact, they would welcome it, as it would ensure that women have access to the same privilege that men do: AKA, being able to have a biological child without having to deal with all the pain that goes with it.

Plus, I mean, you can fucking die from giving birth lmao

BigDes

I feel we should probably be coming up with games that are cyberpunky that are worth playing that aren't made by turdmerchants

So give

Dex
The Shadowrun games
Gemini Rue
Resonance
Technobabylon

a looky look.

Kazaam

Damn, my bad for not going through all his tweets on the previous pages. Some of them are... fucked up is a mild way to put it. This is so disappointing. I misunderstood the outrage... thought it was because of the subject, which I thought could be interesting not realising his views are just those of a paranoid misogynist. Sorry everyone. Guess I just didn't want to believe it...

Some people say they've followed this game for years. How did these details only come up now?

Aki-at

Hey this game looks pretty coo-

Oh the creator is an easily manipulated dirt bag, the only good thing about gamergate is how it's become an informative way to avoid x and y!

Ignoring the first part, the story of the game is literally focused on his politics.

KmpDjSb.png

Wait is this real?

I don't have a particular view or passion towards or against all of the hot topics on gaf these days but I don't want a game centralised on this kind of opinion :/

I want futuristic world and don't really want to see this in my games. On either pro or against side wow I play games to escape this shit.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
DCFQdd5VYAA76xo.jpg

Can someone interpret this tweet for me?

The only way I see it is,
"Degenerate women wish they could enjoy the excess of life and continue working while pregnant." Somehow that's a bad thing???

I don't see why that's extreme. Offloading baby production would be a massive boon to equality of opportunity. I guess I don't have any context for that post, but this guy might not have the mind for sci-fi writing. Still morbidly curious about how these views will manifest in game form.

Wereroku

Damn, my bad for not going through all his tweets on the previous pages. Some of them are... fucked up is a mild way to put it. This is so disappointing. I misunderstood the outrage... thought it was because of the subject, which I thought could be interesting not realising his views are just those of a paranoid misogynist. Sorry everyone. Guess I just didn't want to believe it...

Some people say they've followed this game for years. How did these details only come up now?

It seems like a lot of this was in the basement of forums so anyone just following the development might not see his insightful political discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom