• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Photo Sharing Thread

BeeDog

TaxiGamer posted some proper direct-feed grabs from GT5 that still look a gazillion times better than the image above (which I also think is from GT4). Too bad the site's down at the moment. :p

flipswitch said:
Just a bad angle.We've all played prologue and seen GT5 gameplay videos.There's no need to worry.

Prologue only features tracks and cars made with the PS3 in mind. That screenshot is almost all GT4 assets, but it is GT5.
GT4 didn't use shadow maps or have a 'real' driver inside the closed top cars.

dalin80

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Why are people even discussing that pic still? It's a standard Miata in GT5. The end, it's not a big deal.

If that is what autumn ring looks like in GT5 then it is a big deal, it looks like shit.

carlosp

Banned
this is my new BG, where can i find the original file, i need it so bad.

5193344240_5aeb3f5b06_z.jpg

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Graphics Horse said:
Prologue only features tracks and cars made with the PS3 in mind. That screenshot is almost all GT4 assets, but it is GT5.
GT4 didn't use shadow maps or have a 'real' driver inside the closed top cars.
Indeed. It's clearly not a GT4 shot. I'm starting to get the feeling some people have discovered a way to play GT5's LOD system, or the game just glitches on its own, but that's just regarding the cars. But I have no clue why the track looks so bland.

dalin80 said:
If that is what autumn ring looks like in GT5 then it is a big deal, it looks like shit.

Ahh yes, it wouldn't be a GT5 thread without people just to huge conclusions. It happens GTplanet and now it's happening here.

spats

A few of the hidden trophies are pretty cool (related to photo mode)

Picture Exclusive
Take a picture of a special someone as he stands in Kyoto's Gion district.

Portraitist
Take a portrait of a solitary lady who appears on the Marktgasse in Bern.

dalin80

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Ahh yes, it wouldn't be a GT5 thread without people just to huge conclusions. It happens GTplanet and now it's happening here.

I reached the conclusion that it looked like shit due to the fact it looks like shit, not much of a jump.

**IF** that picture was taken from GT5 then it is a massive disappointment.

dalin80 said:
I reached the conclusion that it looked like shit due to the fact it looks like shit, not much of a jump.

**IF** that picture was taken from GT5 then it is a massive disappointment.

You can take shit screens of nearly every game. It's not even the correct res for a start, and it's a highly suspect shot at that, given that most of the other media looks brilliant (and I very much doubt they would have downgraded anything from Prologue that much).

BeeDog

GameKult need to have their capture card replaced or adjusted. I'd say TaxiGamers' pictures are more representative of the game:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4131/5193684148_3cbef03258_o.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4070/5193086151_773aed03ae_o.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4125/5193085685_0ff21b00dd_o.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4151/5193684216_dde2cd034b_o.jpg

Some (many?) standard cars will obviously look like crap, but there are more faults to GameKult's image than just a bad car model.

-Amon-

LabouredSubterfuge said:
Wow, those are appalling captures. Case solved. Those captures make everything look shit.

Just watched caps from other games from that site, everything looks really bad. At least it's not intentional lol.

-Amon- said:
Just watched caps from other games from that site, everything looks really bad. At least it's not intentional lol.

Go look at the caps of Prologue from IGN, you'd think that the game runs in standard definition after seeing them.

CozMick

Banned
toscana1-640x360.jpg

At least dust build up is confirmed for standard cars.

Oh and.........is this actually a standard car? the uploader says it is.

e8oj7k.jpg

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
flipswitch said:
You sure it's GT4? Could be just GT5 using standard cars.I know the shadows are pretty crappy.I think that rom guy was driving that car on autumn mini yesterday.Could be a capture from the game?
I can't imagine that's GT5. Image quality is MUCH worse than GT5 (talking about in game here, not the photo mode). Furthermore, why are there large black borders around the image? Looks like a PS2 shot as a result.

Could it be a GT4 capture of the game set to 1080i mode? Maybe even the PSP game? A lot of promo PSP shots are blown up with black borders.

It is not GT5, though. There are no areas in GT5 with such lacking details.

dark10x said:
Could it be a GT4 capture of the game set to 1080i mode? Maybe even the PSP game? A lot of promo PSP shots are blown up with black borders.

It is not GT5, though. There are no areas in GT5 with such lacking details.

Aren't you meant to be more clued up on image quality than that? It's GT5, maybe taken offscreen via projector or something like that.

I'm not sure about the other resurrected tracks, but Autumn Ring and Deep Forest are not 'Premium Quality'

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Graphics Horse said:
Aren't you meant to be more clued up on image quality than that? It's GT5, maybe taken offscreen via projector or something like that.

I'm not sure about the other resurrected tracks, but Autumn Ring and Deep Forest are not 'Premium Quality'
Yeah, looking at it again, I see that I was wrong. There is mipmapping and the texture quality on the screen is too high (along with sun shader). Other than that, it looks like a PS2 game. :\

It's just so damn bad that I can't believe it's GT5. It's quite a shocking image.

Direct captures of Prologue (taken from the game being played) are MUCH nicer looking than that. That's heinous. Are you saying there are non-premium tracks as well as cars? I did not know that. If so, then I'm starting to think they should have just cut the game down to size.

Gamekult just has some of the worst captures I've seen of the game. Even the hud elements look awful. If you combine a standard car with a standard track and use awful capturing equipment, I can see how the results were turn out so bad.

ME0001339609_2.jpg

I just don't get why the resolution of the game screen (w/o the black borders) is 1152 x 648 in those gamecult screens. Does GT5 allow to set the screen size to help against overscan? Though even then that would be like 10% overscan.
Maybe they capture in SD and upscale the screenshots?

Nevertheless, the one screen in question is not just ugly because of their capture equipment...

jett

D-Member
Gamekult's picture are fine. GT5 has always had awful image quality, despite having 4XAA at 720p, for some reason.

This is a direct-feed screen from PD:

jsmenugtauto03.jpeg

Just the way it is, people.

jett said:
Oh shut the fuck up how am I being negative here? Just stating the facts.
Haha, nothing to do with the quote in question or anything, but fuck man you really do live up to your tag, you must be a ball of fun to hang around with.

jett

D-Member
pseudocaesar said:
Haha, nothing to do with the quote in question or anything, but fuck man you really do live up to your tag, you must be a ball of fun to hang around with.

edit: Man, whatever. Only thing I do here in this forum is state my opinion.

ToD_

There definitely is something not right with the gamekult captures. There is some scaling involved, making everything look less crisp. Obviously this won't make premium cars turn standard and a good shadow turn nasty. Taxigamer seems to do a better job at capturing screens, I just wish there were some more in-game shots.

jett

D-Member
ToD_ said:
There definitely is something not right with the gamekult captures. There is some scaling involved, making everything look less crisp. Obviously this won't make premium cars turn standard and a good shadow turn nasty. Taxigamer seems to do a better job at capturing screens, I just wish there were some more in-game shots.

After careful inspection you're right, Gamekult's capture hardware scales down the pictures a tiny bit, but there's really not that much of a difference between GK's, TG's or PD's own direct-feed caps.

ToD_

jett said:
After careful inspection you're right, Gamekult's capture hardware scales down the pictures a tiny bit, but there's really not that much of a difference between GK's, TG's or PD's own direct-feed caps.

That is true. This is not to say that GT5 looks horrible at all, though. The image quality is quite good even. It doesn't get much better this generation of consoles with these kind of graphics. Deal with it, pretty much :)

nib95

Banned
Gamekults earlier captures are better. Either way, I don't know about you guys, but I think the game looks gorgeous even from these poor captures. Big texture upgrade, and lighting that might look a bit sterile, but is completely convincing and realistic. Click for full size.

-viper-

Banned
jett said:
Gamekult's picture are fine. GT5 has always had awful image quality, despite having 4XAA at 720p, for some reason.

This is a direct-feed screen from PD:

jsmenugtauto03.jpeg

Just the way it is, people.
Direct feed shots from Taxigamer:
5194962672_772f5b55a3_o.jpg

5194363275_d654aec703_o.jpg

5194362861_cb5a8fe5e6_o.jpg

5194363017_e1f78c5fee_o.jpg

5193684216_dde2cd034b_o.jpg

5193085685_0ff21b00dd_o.jpg

5193086227_bbfca62881_o.jpg

5194961784_2850a36ff7_o.jpg

5194362555_c2eee79820_o.jpg

ToD_

Yep, that looks good to me :)

I'm actually starting to wonder what looks better. 1280x720 with 4xAA or 1280x1080 2xAA. Both will need to scale to some extent on a native 1080p tv. Is there an option to choose between the two video modes like there was in the old GT HD demo?

gogogow

What kind of AA are PD implementing in GT5? With 4xMSAA (?) how come the jaggies are so apparent? FFXIII, UC2 had 2xMSAA, the IQ was excellent and eliminates most jaggies.

Though personally I had no problems with it in GT5 Prologue, just curious what would cause the jaggies even with 4xAA.

Screenshots don't really do it justice anyway (even though it looks superb in the above shots). All games look better in motion, but because GT5 is 60fps it literally looks doubly so.

ToD_

gogogow said:
Though personally I had no problems with it in GT5 Prologue, just curious what would cause the jaggies even with 4xAA.

I'm pretty sure it's because GT5 uses a lot of transparent textures (fences, trees etc), which don't get filtered. Also, shader aliasing.

Top Bottom