• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Destiny 2. No co-op campaign. Missions can only be re-played as a fireteam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tovarisc

So here is full top half of guides page that talks about campaign structure, I cropped bottom half out because it lists missions.
<scan rules, forgot them. my bad bosses>

GlamFM

Banned
The &#3670;&#1756;Bronx;247768673 said:
Why are people so dense?

It's a line from the strategy guide referencing a set of story missions that are single-player only that can be replayed after the campaign is finished.

It's obviously a group of missions within the campaign, not the campaign. Use the context the quote is from. So much needless drama because people can't take five seconds to think.

Unless you see strikes as story missions. A set of missions that are mp only.

Unless you see strikes as story missions. A set of missions that are mp only.
It's from the strategy guide:

This single player set of story missions is the key to unlocking all of the different regions in the solar system. Complete the campaign, and you can return to Ikora to "meditate" and play through these missions again, with a fireteam if you so desire. This unlocks Tokens and Reputation with her so you can purchase her equipment.

Why would it refer to "this set of missions" and "the campaign" distinctly if they meant the entire campaign was single-player only.

This is great news for me personally because I play the game on my own and that means the campaign - which is what I'm looking forward the most - was balanced and designed around one person playing it but this would still be a completely baffling decision since I consider myself to be in the minorty here.

Well, it's a freaking coop game, the minimum would be for the difficulty to scale between 1 and 4 players.

The &#3670;&#1756;Bronx;247768934 said:
It's from the strategy guide:

Why would it refer to "this set of missions" and "the campaign" distinctly if they meant the entire campaign was single-player only.

That picture above really makes it sound like it's the entire campaign.

Simo

So here is full top half of guides page that talks about campaign structure, I cropped bottom half out because it lists missions.

Scans aren't allowed and you're fucking spoiling the game despite removing missions. Lol

Edit: Lol at your edit. The text still reveals what the image was.

MrDaravon

While this personally doesn't affect me (I like playing through campaigns solo generally to look around and explore etc) this is a completely baffling design choice. Only thing I can even maybe think of is that the game's narrative/story doesn't work with multiple guardians, but even if that was the case you think they would have been very upfront with that to avoid blowback. Weird.

definitely needs some clarification on this. one of the better things about destiny 1 was playing through all the story missions with friends on being slightly under leveled.

who wants to play the same missions again in co-op? we know from destiny one the missions aren't going to be amazing or difficult. Once you reach max level you have zero reason to go to them.

SkylineRKR

Its not that big of a deal. I mostly played D1's story solo too, or rather at all times. I like to go at my own pace, find things and watch scenes (though all this was awful in D1, sadly). Co-op is always so hasty and you never see much of a dialogue or cutscene or are talking while stuff happens.

Story missions were a joke, difficulty wise. Play through them on your own and replay them in co-op if you fancy that. I personally saw little use in replaying a story mission if it weren't for cheesing money or bounties. Daily missions are a different matter.

Biscotti

Neo Member
I have friends who are "slower" and wouldn't want to do it solo or would take forever to get it done, if I were there to help them along then it would go a lot smoother and make the time spent more enjoyable as we could discuss things about the story and take the piss out of it. This is a big deal for some people and saying it doesn't matter is absurd just because you aren't personally bothered. This plus the Controller Aim assist on pc has me second guessing.

Trakan

The &#3670;&#1756;Bronx;247768673 said:
Why are people so dense?

It's a line from the strategy guide referencing a set of story missions that are single-player only that can be replayed after the campaign is finished.

It's obviously a group of missions within the campaign, not the campaign. Use the context the quote is from. So much needless drama because people can't take five seconds to think.

I thought of this but the wording in the strategy guide doesn't help anything. It could have said "these few specific single player missions can be replayed later with a fireteam through Ikora" and would have left things a lot less open to interpretation.

Then there's also what IGN said.

Eric WK

A) I wonder how long it's going to take until someone from Bungie puts everyone trying to use semantics to make this untrue out of their misery.

B) From Vanilla on, the major complaint against Destiny was the "lack" of a story or similar story complaints. I would imagine the justification for this will be a PR line about making the story feel more important or making your individual Guardian more central or that this is the way this story had to be told or something.

C) I personally am not bothered by this change and it makes my decision of how to spend my first hours of the game much easier and because the initial story play through is such a minuscule part of my time with the game. But I understand that many people want to experience the story co-op from the start. The option should be present, because co-op is such an important part of Destiny and this would be an unexpected turn from the previous game.

Simo

who wants to play the same missions again in co-op? we know from destiny one the missions aren't going to be amazing or difficult. Once you reach max level you have zero reason to go to them.

This time there's an incentive for replaying them as it seemingly allows you to earn reputation for getting specific weapons and armor.

FLAguy954

The co-op part is not for the story, but everything else. And you certainly don't level only with the story missions.

That's dumb as fuck. Games like Tom Clancy's The Division, Borderlands, and Gears of War let you co-op on all content.

This better just be a rumor.

vivftp

What an odd decision to force upon players if true.

What about those who want 3 characters? Do you have to solo the game 3 times? I was planning to have 1 character I would use to solo the game and 1 to play with friends. Not as huge a deal for me, but they will not be happy.

Spence

Didn't the first mission in the beta have you pop in with random folks doing the same mission only at a certain section? Maybe that's what they're going for. Rather have it like it was in D1, but whatevs.

Yes, that was a short coop "public event" inside your mission, the open world will have similar events, but it's not the same as co-op missions.

A weird choice if true, but it's fine with me since would probably end up playing the story solo at first anyway. Just not sure why they would even go out of their way to make such a seemingly pointless change.

Trup1aya

Its not that big of a deal. I mostly played D1's story solo too, or rather at all times. I like to go at my own pace, find things and watch scenes (though all this was awful in D1, sadly). Co-op is always so hasty and you never see much of a dialogue or cutscene or are talking while stuff happens.

Story missions were a joke, difficulty wise. Play through them on your own and replay them in co-op if you fancy that. I personally saw little use in replaying a story mission if it weren't for cheesing money or bounties. Daily missions are a different matter.

So if you had no problem playing these missions solo, despite them being co-op in D1, wouldnt it make sense to keep D1s structure- people who want to play co-op can, people who want to play solo can.

Why force a solo playthrough?

It sucks a little but the people exclaiming how they can't understand why...well...it might be something as simple as progression unlocks.

I have heard that the story is quite extensive (when compared to Destiny 1)

It might be that they have your abilities and powers on a drip feed that you unlock not by levelling but by progressing through the story

Co op story mode could involve a level one showing up with a fully unlocked guardian and that would spoil the nature of the narrative when yo have a fully powered up guardian smashing their way through levels that the story doesn't support?

All speculation on my part but it would be nice if people weren't panicking so hard

lol r you joking or serious?

You serious? Lots of people feel this way. You enjoy the game for different reasons, but others, like myself, enjoy playing through games like this for the first time with friends.

Why is this such a difficult concept for some of you to understand. Like, It's really hard to express how irritating some of you are acting without getting banned.

Turkoop

Banned
I hope it's just 2-4 missions - an introduction or so.
This game has been designed to do coop. Makes no sense to me to do this move.

You serious? Lots of people feel this way. You enjoy the game for different reasons, but others, like myself, enjoy playing through games like this for the first time with friends.

Why is this such a difficult concept for some of you to understand. Like, It's really hard not to express how ridiculous this is without getting banned.

I think the point others are making is that in a game like Destiny, "playing through" the game doesn't just mean playing the story. That's a tiny portion of what many would consider a full playthrough, i.e. getting max level, earning a variety of gear as you increase light to complete content up to and including the raid, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom