• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John McCain Official Statement: "I Will Vote No on Graham Cassidy Health Care Bill"

BigDug13

I don't think they don't have problems. No organization or collective is perfect or should be shielded from criticism. I just don't place all the blame on stupid democrats because they atleast try to govern with some type of sense and respect for country.

They may be pussies when it comes to standing up to the lies being shifted their way or controlling the narrative but their wishy washy base is so quick to get mad and go home instead of understanding governance isn't an all or nothing sport. Bernie for damn sure ain't helping the collective caucuses by being a wild card and speaking out the side of his mouth because of his new found celebrity either.

The real problem isn't that democrats aren't willing to play the same game or cutting out the competition. The most worrisome fact is that the American public has become so easy to sway with fake Facebook news and Fox/Breitbart that we have a "my team must win" mentality that allows really evil people to never be truly held accountable for subverting our democracy and are pushing and pushing the boundaries of what can be done without repercussions and can spin their bullshit on their favorite Fox show and their base eats it up. We're seeing it everyday.

The effects of removing the FCC rule that news organizations have a responsibility for truth has been SO profound lately.

Zubz

Banned
I don't really trust him, but again, I'll appreciate him saying no.

It doesn't change all of his faux-Maverick behavior; he's still a bitter old man whose bitterness led to blowback which led to further bitterness. If McCain's offered a big enough cut of that $400 million, I can see him flipping.

A little concerned about Murokowsi, particularly because even a small handout to her state could make an enormous difference in the lives of her constituency. I'd imagine they'd do anything to appease her, so this is not over yet. By any means.

The handout to Alaska is allowing them to stay on the ACA. So it would really hurt her credibility to vote yes.

I'm not about to start singing McCain's praises -- there's a couple things in there other people have pointed out that rub me the wrong way -- but that he's finally standing up to Trump/GOP does earn some respect.

Does McCain actually disagree with eliminating obamacare? Of course not! He's no real ally to that cause.

However, it should come as a red flag to republicans that people like Graham and Cassidy are employing outrageously shady tactics and motives to get their stuff through office. McCain calling that out, at the very least, isn't a horrible thing. It's total bullshit in the end, but we need to get people saying "huh, maybe these republicans don't represent ANYONE'S values?"

There's no true dialogue going on in congress. Not with people like that. This shit is corrupt as all hell and people need to get angrier.

I wonder if we've gotten too complacent with Trump/GOP goofing up again and again. Don't see nearly as much anger over this bill.

Two words: Sarah. Palin.

Right. Essentially, McCain's carelessness in that one moment in selecting Palin as his running mate has created the hellspawn which are Trumpers and the Tea Party.

He inadvertantly created this nightmare and he knows it. I wonder if this is McCain's last bidding to try to make up for that mistake which has drastically weakened democracy and bi-partisan efforts here in the US in general.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
i'll believe it when the vote is actually held and he votes no
I think he was holding off and giving his boy time to muster support.

I assume they now know they don't have enough votes and so he is doing the GOP a very minor solid and publicly giving them an excuse to not vote on it at all. Another dead vote would be way more embarrassing than letting it fade away over the weekend.

btrboyev

I'm not relieved until the votes are cast, McCain isn't always the most reliable dude. But I dig the shot across the bow. It's their worst bill yet, it deserves to burn in hell.

I doubt it will even go to vote. They don’t have 50. The same 3 are going to vote no again for sure.

JettDash

is "both sides purists" the new insult for people who have skepticism for the two party system and how it currently operates? I guess that's one way to get them to vote

Disdain for the morons who would rather allow Republicans to win than sully their hands and vote for someone that isn't pure enough for them.

If Republicans do well in 2018, lefitst purists will have no right to complain about the consequences given that they didn't even try to stop them from happening.

JettDash

I doubt this bribe will work. Even if it is a good one, Murkowski would still be screwing Alaska, just a few years after the rest of the country.

And why would all other Republican Senators allow Alaska to get a better deal than the rest of the country? What's stopping Dean Heller from demanding the same bribe for his vote? Or Jeff Flake?

JettDash

Nah, I don't believe him. Something doesn't sit right.

Some of you people are super paranoid.

This is the same guy that fucked over the turtle in the middle of the Senate floor last time. For the same reasons that he's giving now.

Him meaning what he says about regular order is far more likely than some kind of bizzare 13D chess.

120v

he's in the twilight of his life and career (even if he does survive cancer) and stated plainly he wouldn't vote yes on some wham bam thank you ma'am bill

he's a firm no

Zubz

Banned
Yeah he didn't really care about fucking over turtle in the middle of the Senate floor because fuck that guy. Lindsey Graham is his best friend in the Senate though.

Isn't that a concern, though? It's McCain; he goes for whatever's best for him, which in this case could mean whatever's best for Graham. That's why I don't feel we should be certain on any action he may take here.

JettDash

Isn't that a concern, though? It's McCain; he goes for whatever's best for him, which in this case could mean whatever's best for Graham. That's why I don't feel we should be certain on any action he may take here.

If there was any chance that he would vote yes just to do a favor for his buddy, he wouldn't have come out with that statement.

McCain is a very hard no.

Read the third paragraph of his statement again.
rCGKk78.jpg

McCain ain't shit

Sure he's voting no, but it's not because the bill is horrible: he agrees with the bill.

He says he’d “consider” a bill like this one if other conditions were met.

He also lays out why he thinks this bill is trash.

Zolo

Over/under on trashing McCain for his brain cancer? I mean, would that really be shocking considering his treatment of McCain’s war record?

Hmm.....I have to wonder if that would be the right move at an Alabama rally? On one hand, anyone going to Trump's rally are his supporters who would probably cheer anything he says. On the other hand, I'm fairly sure McCain's military credentials give him a fair bit of respect with southern Republicans.

lush

"REGULAR ORDER!!!!"

"Like the Democrats rammed through"

Faux Maverick over here grandstanding again just a partisan hack like the rest of them, just with a grudge. Respect to Collins and Murkowski where it deserves to go, not this opportunist loser that gets the credit again because of?

JettDash

"REGULAR ORDER!!!!"

"Like the Democrats rammed through"

Faux Maverick over here grandstanding again just a partisan hack like the rest of them, just with a grudge. Respect to Collins and Murkowski where it deserves to go, not this opportunist loser that gets the credit again because of?

For being a no?

It certainly matters far me that he's fucking his own party for a second time than that he tried to both sides it.

lush

For being a no?

It certainly matters far me that he's fucking his own party for a second time than that he tried to both sides it.
When convenient? Yippee. Guy is morally bankrupt just like the rest of them. At least Murkowski and Collins have been consistent throughout the process and they haven't gotten any of the credit. McCain was more than happy to vote Yes on the BCRA last go around. He's a hypocrite only thinking about himself and his grudges on Capitol Hill that has had absolutely zero problem falling in line for literally everything else. His approval numbers with Dems is beyond embarrassing.

People actually fall for his bullshit, it's ridiculous.

JettDash

When convenient? Yippee. Guy is morally bankrupt just like the rest of them. At least Murkowski and Collins have been consistent throughout the process and they haven't gotten any of the credit. McCain was more than happy to vote Yes on the BCRA last go around He's a hypocrite only thinking about himself and his grudges on Capitol Hill. His approval numbers with Dems is beyond embarrassing.

People actually fall for his bullshit, it's ridiculous.

He's helped kill Trumpcare twice (assuming something nuts doesn't happen), that's not bullshit it is fact. Actions matter more than what you think you know about his motive.

It goes without saying that Murkowski and Collins deserve credit too.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I think we've crossed the threshold of "fuck off" being the universal response for anything discussed in Off-Topic at this point.

McCain follows GOP party line --> fuck off

McCain roadblocks his own party's agenda with a dissenting vote, changing the course of history and averting a nightmarish national health care outcome --> fuck off

NeoGAF user praises McCain for saving the ACA --> fuck off

NeoGAF user praises McCain for saving the ACA, but still tells him to fuck off --> fuck off

NeoGAF user doesn't particularly care whether the ACA gets repealed or not --> fuck off

Anything short of just saying "fuck off" prompts a "fuck off."

lush

He's helped kill Trumpcare twice (assuming something nuts doesn't happen), that's not bullshit it is fact. Actions matter more than what you think you know about his motive.

It goes without saying that Murkowski and Collins deserve credit too.
He straight up demonstrated last go around that he didn't give a shit about "regular order" as he fell in line on one of their many attempts last go around at repealing and replacing. The guy is an opportunist plain and simple. It's fine and dandy that he finally wavered to a "no" when it looked pretty obvious it didn't have the support. Why he gets to be the sole saviour of healthcare is beyond me? I guess it's what's between his legs in addition to doing the bare minimum defending Obama against birtherism garbage at a campaign rally once upon a time. The bar is just so ridiculously low for these people and it annoys the hell out of me. The guy has absolutely zero qualms with repeal and replace leading to millions losing healthcare and people are going to act like that's the case, not saying that's the case ITT or anything.

That he's polling in the 70% favorability range amongst Dems is sickening in addition to conversations with people I know praising him as if he's some closeted Dem or something looking out for the people.

Nasbin

I was getting slightly nervous about this bill for a moment there but it always seemed to me like a Hail Mary designed to shore up Graham and Heller's credentials as not-RINOs for potential primary challengers more than a serious attempt at passing radical healthcare legislation. Again, there has been no real attempt to sell this bill to the country; I can't imagine the political calculus that any Republicans actually want to have a trillion dollar Medicaid cut hanging around their necks going into 2018.

'Skinny repeal' looked like a close vote as well but again we have a bill with about 10 senators in the 'uncertain' column that people have assumed are Yes votes when really it seems more like they are jostling to see who will fall on their sword first.

Collins and Murkowski are almost certainly No votes as this bill crosses all kinds of red lines e.g. gross attacks on Planned Parenthood and prenatal coverage, but they'd rather not take too much public heat without Mitch forcing them to walk the plank again, which I'm doubtful he'll do a second time. The skinny repeal fiasco already served the purpose of making Republicans looks like they were trying to do something without actually doing anything. Easier to say 'we came up short on the votes', diffuse blame and move on without throwing Capito and others under the bus again by actually calling another vote.

JettDash

He straight up demonstrated last go around that he didn't give a shit about "regular order" as he fell in line on one of their many attempts last go around at repealing and replacing. The guy is an opportunist plain and simple. It's fine and dandy that he finally wavered to a "no" when it looked pretty obvious it didn't have the support. Why he gets to be the sole saviour of healthcare is beyond me? I guess it's what's between his legs in addition to doing the bare minimum defending Obama against birtherism garbage at a campaign rally once upon a time. The bar is just so ridiculously low for these people.

He flew to DC after just being diagnosed with brain cancer just so he could fuck over the turtle in person.

You claiming he only changed his mind when it became clear it didn't have the support is ridiculous nonsense that proves you have no idea what you are talking about.

The fact of the matter is that turtle's real plan was to pass the last thing they voted on (skinny repeal) and he was able to produce 49 votes for it. McCain literally had the choice to pass it or kill it. He chose to go against his own party and killed it.

But fuck him, he deserves no credit? You're nuts.

jtb

Banned
He straight up demonstrated last go around that he didn't give a shit about "regular order" as he fell in line on one of their many attempts last go around at repealing and replacing. The guy is an opportunist plain and simple. It's fine and dandy that he finally wavered to a "no" when it looked pretty obvious it didn't have the support. Why he gets to be the sole saviour of healthcare is beyond me? I guess it's what's between his legs in addition to doing the bare minimum defending Obama against birtherism garbage at a campaign rally once upon a time. The bar is just so ridiculously low for these people and it annoys the hell out of me. The guy has absolutely zero qualms with repeal and replace leading to millions losing healthcare and people are going to act like that's the case, not saying that's the case ITT or anything.

That he's polling in the 70% favorability range amongst Dems is sickening in addition to conversations with people I know praising him as if he's some closeted Dem or something looking out for the people.

I get all this and share your frustration particularly with the comical absurd "maverick" bullshit.......

but, saving the ACA is that important. these are desperate times. did McCain do something all that "difficult"? I don't think so. but did he did do the right thing. whether that's for the right reason or not... I don't know, I just don't care at this point. I just look forward to not having to beg our elected officials not to kill us all, and if a McCain "no" vote is what it takes, so be it.

I think we've crossed the threshold of "fuck off" being the universal response for anything discussed in Off-Topic at this point.

McCain roadblocks his own party's agenda with a dissenting vote, changing the course of history and averting a nightmarish national health care outcome --> fuck off

NeoGAF user praises McCain for saving the ACA, but still tells him to fuck off --> fuck off

NeoGAF user doesn't particularly care whether the ACA gets repealed or not --> fuck off

And you are the owner of this hellscape

Xe4

Banned

That's absolutely a problem all around, and includes people like myself. But I'm not sure how to improve the situation from a members perspective. Aside from trying to make ourselves better posters, what exactly can be done about it? Is that something mods should be contacted over?

I do think most people here want to make the forums and off topic better and have more discourse, but for one reason or another, it doesn't happen.

Nasbin

Right. Essentially, McCain's carelessness in that one moment in selecting Palin as his running mate has created the hellspawn which are Trumpers and the Tea Party.

He inadvertantly created this nightmare and he knows it. I wonder if this is McCain's last bidding to try to make up for that mistake which has drastically weakened democracy and bi-partisan efforts here in the US in general.

I don't know if I buy this narrative exactly. Palin is in many ways like Trump more of a reflection of what the average GOP voter had become in the era of Fox news and talk radio than some rogue event. Her nomination may have fueled some of the strength of the 2010 backlash but a Trump candidacy still feels like the inevitable manifestation of Racist Forwards From Grandma given human form.

Absolutely McCain made a horrible mistake by nominating Palin, and he let the GOP mold him into something unrecognizable during the 2008 campaign that seemed to break his spirit until very recently. One has to wonder how history might have changed had he won the nom in 2000 when he was still running as a genuine maverick.

Top Bottom