• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm trying to understand the perspective of the "Disrespecting our flag" crowd

It’s indoctrination. Most public school kids in America stand up and recite a loyalty pledge to our country and flag every single day from as young as five years old, and most go their whole lives never questioning it. That’s pretty much all you need to understand.

A lot of people in the US criticise other countries for being fanatical about their nation, but to me, reading stuff like this, the US isn't too dissimilar in that sense.

Ishan

It has nothing to do with flags. It's like bigots hiding behind religion to justify their vile opinions on the lbgtq community-- pure cowardice.
No you just did what the right does and simplified a complex situation where we are right as the left as a completely easy issue which it isn't .

Edit : IMO yes the left should be held to a higher standard than the right . We have the moral upper ground and should keep holdin it . If we're dirty like them we lose that and the moral upper ground matters . The fact that I as a left leaning person am willing to listen to one from the right but he/she isn't matters . That's what makes me better

Jombie

No you just did what the right does and simplified a complex situation where we are right as the left as a completely easy issue which it isn't .

It's not that complex. I've lived around it my entire life, these people aren't having nuanced discussions behind closed doors.

A friend of mine posted on facebook something along the lines "They are entertainers, they should just do their job and play the game."

You know, I know I might get in trouble for putting it this way, but I almost see this as a racial thing, given the disproportionate representation that black people have in sports compared to % of population. It perpetuates a point of view that blacks shouldn't stand up to talk and give us their point of view, their job is to serve / entertain us, and they have nothing of value to say. The same extends to other minorities in sports.

I don't believe people think consciously in that way, I just think it's so ingrained in our thought process and the way we think about the world and race relations.

Ishan

It's not that complex. I've lived around it my entire life, these people aren't having nuanced discussions behind closed doors.
If you're so sure then yes go protest and express your opinion I'm cool with that it's not a viewpoint I support fully . But I accept that is what you feel is correct

mid83

A friend of mine posted on facebook something along the lines "They are entertainers, they should just do their job and play the game."

You know, I know I might get in trouble for putting it this way, but I almost see this as a racial thing, given the disproportionate representation that black people have in sports compared to % of population. It perpetuates a point of view that blacks shouldn't stand up to talk and give us their point of view, their job is to serve / entertain us, and they have nothing of value to say. The same extends to other minorities in sports.

I don't believe people think consciously in that way, I just think it's so ingrained in our thought process and the way we think about the world and race relations.

To be fair people complain about actors/actresses being political as well, and the majority of well known actors/actresses are white.

Edit : IMO yes the left should be held to a higher standard than the right . We have the moral upper ground and should keep holdin it . If we're dirty like them we lose that and the moral upper ground matters . The fact that I as a left leaning person am willing to listen to one from the right but he/she isn't matters . That's what makes me better

Yo your above the fray holier than thou bs is wearing real thin. Its not a real complex situation. Situations like this only get complicated once people start deflecting from the main issue with their own bs instead of addressing the main issue because they are either too uncomfortable or do not really want to address the main issue in the first place. Its why instead talking about having real criminal justice reform and accountability the main issue in the first place the conversation has shifted towards bs like people getting caught up in their own feelings about people kneeling and whether its disrespecting the flag.

I'm reminded of people in my personal life who feel like it's the same as disrespecting a religion, but I'm still not finding the logic here.

For what it's worth, I think that comparison is apt. What's so wrong with disrespecting a religion? Fuck religion. Fuck daft bits of cloth on sticks. We deserve better.

mid83

For what it's worth, I think that comparison is apt. What's so wrong with disrespecting a religion? Fuck religion. Fuck daft bits of cloth on sticks. We deserve better.

This is the problem with modern society. Everybody expects everyone to conform to their own beliefs else they are unworthy pieces of shit.

How about we respect people’s right to believe or not believe in religion, and call out the religious nuts who make the rest of us look bad. But nah, fuck anything and everybody who doesn’t agree with your own beliefs right?

How about we respect people’s right to believe or not believe in religion, and call out the religious nuts who make the rest of us look bad.

Yes. But also fuck religion and fuck silly bits of cloth on a stick. There is a distinction between my respect for somebody's right to believe whatever nonsense they want, and my respect for that nonsense. Which, in the aforementioned two cases, is zero.

Ishan

Yo your above the fray holier than thou bs is wearing real thin. Its not a real complex situation. Situations like this only get complicated once people start deflecting from the main issue with their own bs instead of addressing the main issue because they are either too uncomfortable or do not really want to address the main issue in the first place. Its why instead talking about having real criminal justice reform and accountability the main issue in the first place the conversation has shifted towards bs like people getting caught up in their own feelings about people kneeling and whether its disrespecting the flag.

And I think your not understanding it's nuanced is bs . Don't talk shit just cause you disagree . Don't agree with me fine . Doesn't mean you can demean my opinions .

Ishan

I find it strange that people are only just realising this now...in 2017.
Wait is this a thing ? I always assumed most internationals understood Americans wear their patriotism on their sleeves far more than other countries ?

Edit I know a bunch of internationals and we've always been of the opinion Americans are much more openly pro their military / fly their flags as signs of patriotism than other nations ...

Edit2 : obviously disregarding brainwashed wacko dictatorships etc

I find it strange that people are only just realising this now...in 2017.

Simpsons did it:

16whcc.jpg

latest

It's a lot of "You're not supposed to do that." or "The Flag is above all of this." or "Race and politics shouldn't use the flag for their own ends."

I can see the logic behind them. I just have only one problem with. Before all the kneeling and refusing to stand. The flag was and is used for politics and commercial reasons. The flag in itself is for lack of a better term, politics. A nation only exists as long as people believe in it and a flag represents that belief. It also becomes a symbol of the actions the people who believe in it take.

Right now the US has a very real problem with race. You can argue the specifics of who is exploiting this for their own gain, but it is real and happening. It deserves to be talked about. People outside the US see it, people inside the US see it. When these men refuse to stand for the flag, they are saying to the world, we recognise their is a problem and it needs to be talked about.

I don't think there is anything disrespectful in doing what they are doing. I think the anger comes from the fear that they are no longer loyal or believe in the US. It's a gut reaction and one people are all too willing to use to ignore the reason these men have not stood. It's easier to be angry than it is to reflect.

Ishan

Civil discourse rules out dismissal of nonsense? Well then, maybe my mathematics teacher wasn't so civil after all, with his reductio ad absurdum.
Your math teacher was nonsense then if he/she equated political
Discourse with mathematically provable theorems based on axioms ... Math != social sciences . Good lord this is a horrible comparison. Its what lets climate deniers get away with denying science cause they equate science with opinions . Math is even more rigorous than regular science .... Ridiculous comparison . I am truly at a loss of words at reductio ad absurdum .lol .

Your math teacher was nonsense then if he/she equated political
Discourse with mathematically provable theorems based on axioms ... Math != social sciences . Good lord this is a horrible comparison. Its what lets climate deniers get away with denying science cause they equate science with opinions . Math is even more rigorous than regular science .... Ridiculous comparison .

Don't try to muddy the water. Climate denial dies when faced with the weight of evidence. Similarly, when you bring up that "we must tolerate the intolerant" nonsense it needs to be dismissed.

Ishan

Don't try to muddy the water. Climate denial dies when faced with the weight evidence. Similarly, when you bring up that "we must tolerate the intolerant" nonsense it needs to be dismissed.
I am muddying no waters . I am of the opinion this is nuanced . You're claiming it's something as simple as math and I'm pointing out the absolute absurdity of that statement . Either you don't understand math or political/social viewpoints . This is no where close to a super clear cut issue when you can possibly
Even attempt to use math terminology (although in general math terminology is by and large inapplicable anyway )

Edit also I have stated in this very thread if this happened in my country I would not hate the ppl doing it its their right . However I don't see this as a clear cut issue . Friggin Obama has a similar viewpoint . But I guess we're all wrong and reduced to a contradiction cause we dont hold your opinion

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just people not wanting to think about or recognize problems in their own country. Not wanting to hear people complain, etc. The equivalent of putting fingers in their ears and telling people to shut up.

Personally, I've never understood why flag worship is such an integral part of sporting events.

I am muddying no waters . I am of the opinion this is nuanced .

You're saying the promotion of reverence for a bit of cloth while the principles the cloth is supposed to stand for are trampled upon (and the lives of millions are accordingly degraded) is nuanced. Bollocks. Enough bothsidism.

When it comes to religion I think most people are far more emotionally invested into the symbols of their faith than the actual teachings (which is probably a good thing).
In that sense disrespecting a flag is exactly the same as disrespecting a holy book or a religious figure.

Ishan

You're saying the promotion of reverence for a bit of cloth while the principles the cloth is supposed to stand for are trampled upon (and the lives of millions are accordingly degraded) is nuanced. Bollocks. Enough bothsidism.
No I'm saying I get why ppl get offended at the anthem protest . Kap decided to conflate the issues and that's his right his opinion . And I respect that . I might even be inclined to agree with his form of protest if I was American

However what I will not agree with is the notion that ppl being offended have absolutely no reason to be . And it's all about race . It's not both sidism it's being someone who can also respect other viewpoints . By your logic Obama did "bothsidism"

To be fair people complain about actors/actresses being political as well, and the majority of well known actors/actresses are white.

Most of these people also voted for a fucking reality TV show host to be President, and worship a former President that was a Movie Star, so the "they're entertainers" thing can be thrown right out the window.

Great post, thanks! :)

PS
What is "US Flag Code" actually? Is it part of some law?

It's a law, but the penalty for breaking it is literally never enforced.

Most of these people also voted for a fucking reality TV show host to be President, and worship a former President that was a Movie Star, so the "they're entertainers" thing can be thrown right out the window.

It's a law, but the penalty for breaking it is literally never enforced.

Wouldn't be surprised if a significant number of these people didn't vote for him.

Personally, I instinctively make this connection myself and, because of that, am not a big fan of these protests (but whatever, it's not like I expect all protests to cater to me). My father was a disabled veteran and growing up, respect for veterans was always paired with the national anthem and the flag. It's pretty common at sporting events for veterans to be brought forward and saluted, before the anthem plays, for example. So, it's hard for me to shake this connection, after witnessing it for so long. Logically, I know these protestors mean no disrespect to veterans, but it's honestly where my mind goes first and I have to remind myself that's not what this is about.

Yes, "paid patriotism" is indeed very much a thing.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Yes it's a real question. You act like there are myriad countries out there that have practices that are similar to the stuff happening in the USA. Because I very much doubt that.
Unless you meant dictator-run shitholes like North Korea and the like. Plenty of patriotism there.

Doesn't every country sing the anthem in school every morning? Every country I've ever lived in sure does.

Not sure why you think America is unique in that regard.

A handful are ignorant and think its really about protesting the flag itself.
Most don't like seeing brown people getting out of line and "whining". On some we let you get rights, stopped hanging you, and put a black in the highest office but you're still not satisfied type shit.

True American Patriot sees innocent12 year old child shot to death by policeman with no repercussion.

True American Pattiot has no reaction. Doesn't care about making change so that this doesn't happen again. Dead, mirdered kid is not important. Doesn't deserve to be stood up for.

Then we have....

True American Patriot sees a sportsman protest silently to raise awareness of things like police killing innocent 12 year old children with no repercussion.

True American Patriot is fuming mad at the burning injustice of a person refusing to stand for the national anthem. How can this kind of thing happen in their country???? We need to do something about his!! Fire them! Hit em where it hurts! Sons of bitches! The flag needs to be cherished and loved!!

Ishan

Doesn't every country sing the anthem in school every morning? Every country I've ever lived in sure does.

India doesn't . Well atleast my school didn't . Don't think it happened in Bangladesh when I lived there either . Our national anthem is played on special occasions (Independence Day republic day etc and during national team events etc). That sounds really weird to me national anthem everyday sounds so excessive

VegiHam

No man. We also don't have to pledge allegiance to a flag; which is also weird.

Saya

I think I can count the number of times we had to sing the national anthem in school on one hand.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
The people who get all bent out of shape about "disrespecting America" are the western equivalent of the Muslims who don't like depictions of Muhammad.

SKINNER!

Banned
The people who get all bent out of shape about "disrespecting America" are the western equivalent of the Muslims who don't like depictions of Muhammad.

Hahahahaha. You raise a point there.

"You cannot draw images of our prophet. That's disrespectful."

"But freedom of speech! Suck it up!"

"Ok, I'll just kneel and disrespect your flag then"

"Woah woah woah! Just hang on - I say I say - hang on one minute there. You can't disrespect our flag"

Freedom of speech is for all. You can't have it applicable for something and not something else right?

Yesterday I had to deal with this mindset.

Wife’s birthday and I spent it with her side of the family. Her father is really pissed about the flag thing.

I tried to explain how no rights are being violated or rules being broken and that Trump has no say on the NFL because the owners for the most part seem to support the players.

Tell him they are afforded the right to do so by the constitution and I get the usual “I don’t care”.

As expected since listening to crap like Hannity I was told in my own home “Oh god another fucking bleeding heart liberal.”

Then he points to me, looks to the family and says “He’s exactly what fucking wrong with this country.”

I almost lost it. Had to go in the basement. Minutes later he left the house and went home.

Right before that he went into the “shit like this is only a problem if you’re black!”, to which I had to promptly state “You don’t speak like that in my house.”

Trying to raise my daughter to be better than that.

I always knew he was a bit racist, but he was raised that way and for the longest time he kind of just kept it to himself. However this shit stain in office has normalized it yet again and he is acting in a way I haven’t seen in the 12 years I’ve known him.

We’ve never went at each other like we did yesterday.

Carcetti

Ahahaha, that's insane. Where have you lived? USA and North Korea?

That sounds absolutely ridiculous. Only time you'd hear the anthem here is the independence day once a year.

mid83

Obviously some people take it too far but I didn’t realize it’s such a bad thing to be proud of where you are from. I’m proud to be an American. Guess that makes me some sort of brainwashed lunatic eh?

SKINNER!

Banned
I always knew he was a bit racist, but he was raised that way and for the longest time he kind of just kept it to himself. However this shit again in office has normalized it yet again and he is acting in a way I haven't seen in the 12 years I've known him.

Well thanks to Trump talking his shit and not condemning neo-nazis, he has allowed racists to come out of the woodwork and normalize their fucked up opinions.

Obviously some people take it too far but I didn’t realize it’s such a bad thing to be proud of where you are from. I’m proud to be an American. Guess that makes me some sort of brainwashed lunatic eh?

Oh yeah, totally. That is what people are saying!

Edit: Canada sings it daily in school.

nel e nel

And the military community whining about this feels supremely self-important to me and duplicitous. There are plenty of vets who are OK with it, the ones who aren't just don't care about the cause they're kneeling for. It's not about the flag, they just don't care about black lives.

Basic training is more than just physical conditioning and learning maneuvers.

Kthulhu

Nationalism is a hell of a drug, that's what it is.

These people are authoritarian, who care more about "respecting" a symbol and object vs the rights of their fellow citizens.

Top Bottom