• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Plays Cuphead Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
https://www.twitch.tv/ign

Going live in 6 minutes from this post, as the game is out in a few days I bet some won't want to watch but as this is right before the media blowout for this game, it might be interesting for those who want to watch a slice of the final game live so thought it might deserve a topic. They're going to be playing the first two worlds live, so there will be spoilers and things never seen before in it.

Plus to enjoy that gorgeous art/music, and watch how easy/hard the game is. This game has had quite a ride through its development, hasn't it?

Dusk Golem

Stream just gone live, they have a list of things on embargo they can't show, but will show all they can show between the first two worlds and answering questions they can.

ScOULaris

Once again the people playing Cuphead on stream are absolutely horrible. How are so many of these gaming journalists complete novices at basic 2D side-scrolling gameplay? Jesus.

NateDrake

I feel like the problem is that people are trying to play Cuphead as if it were a Mario game. They should be playing like a Contra or Metal Slug.

Dusk Golem

Last minute giant pit plant death, oh my.

I feel like the problem is that people are trying to play Cuphead as if it were a Mario game. They should be playing like a Contra or Metal Slug.

Hopefully get into the mindset, they did even say earlier they at first try jumping on the enemies heads, which... Yeah doesn't work.

Game looks fantastic, but I'm not wondering if I'll really like it. Not cancelling my pre-order either way, but damn. I'd probably do worse than the person playing at the moment.

Dusk Golem

I somehow had forgotten you can change your abilities from things you buy/earn to change your Cuphead's shooting, parry, special, etc, ability. That should make some different runs interesting.

Dusk Golem

A shame they prioritized attractive women over gamers who are into these type of games.

Hey, get that shit out of here. They even mentioned in the office she was one of the best players and finds it addicting, being a woman has nothing to do with what type of games are for you.

And a lot of press have honestly not been great at the game, it's not a gender thing.

There's gotta be some sort of Faustian bargain when you become a games journalist that you just lose your ability to play games very well.

You look at people like WitWix and Trihex then you see your average reviewer play platformers and you just can't help but sigh.

Game looks ace though.

Finaika

A shame they prioritized attractive women over ppl who are into this type of game.

giphy.gif

ghibli99

Terrible skills on display, but damn, this game looks so good. Pretty sure I'm going to enjoy it. Not worried anymore. :)

Herbspiceguy just threw a grenade into the thread, lol.

Yeah, I don't think we can question the enjoyment someone gets from a game by their looks. That's crazy fucking talk.

robotrock

Banned
Herbspiceguy just threw a grenade into the thread, lol.

Yeah, I don't think we can question the enjoyment someone gets from a game by their looks. That's crazy fucking talk.

Why does Cuphead always bring out the most insane posts? Not talking about your post, but stuff like Herbspiceguy's or the whole thing about the tutorial the other week.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
This is frustrating to watch, hah.

Their gender isn't the problem. Seems like gaming journalists not being able to play games is a running theme these days.

There's gotta be some sort of Faustian bargain when you become a games journalist that you just lose your ability to play games very well.

You look at people like WitWix and Trihex then you see your average reviewer play platformers and you just can't help but sigh.

Game looks ace though.

1) You're watching someone learn how to play a game live. Besides a few minutes at E3 or other trade shows, this is the first time these players have booted up the game.

2) Say it with me now: It's really hard to talk / be entertaining / interact and play a game at the same time. Especially for a game like this. Your attention is split, so one of the two has to give: your gameplay or your commentary.

3) People edit their own memories of playing a game. When you play Cuphead you're going to die dozens and dozens of times, but afterward you'll remember the times you pulled off something amazing and will "edit out" your own shitty, embarrassing deaths.

Recall

Seems like gaming journalists not being able to play games is a running theme these days.

These days?

To be a "video game journalist" being able to play a game is secondary. You're just an extension of the publishers marketing department so as long as you can sell up a game, say the right words and give the right scores then you too can be a journalist. Oooh, here is your press kit and if you say anything bad about us we won't send you free games anymore, and you wouldn't want that, would ya?

Right?

I like it when others are not very good at games in a live setting, it means I get to learn what to do and what not to do when I play the games myself. Everyone is bad until they've played for a few hours.

Dusk Golem

The Frog Bros boss I already know I'll have some bumps with, but I like the actual fight and look of the stage for the boss.

Love how the flies are cheering you on to take out their frog oppressors.

Game looks ace though.

I wonder what happens. Maybe they get so involved with games as a work that they don't feel like playing anymore? Then loose some skills?

But Cuphead seems a hard game for anyone apparently, so there is this as well. I'm sure I will struggle with it.

Edit: there it is, improving with time. First time is indeed hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom