• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN Plays Cuphead Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

gfxtwin

This won't be popular opinion, but I think it looks weird at 60 fps and takes away from the authenticity of the 30's cartoons they're going for. I'm sure it enhances gameplay a bit, but I hope there's a 30 or 40 fps option too.

A shame they prioritized attractive women over ppl who are into this type of game.

I mean, first off a LOT of journalists are not super good at this game, so it probably says something about how challenging it is at this point. Also, this might be a thing that happens sometimes (out of your staff choosing to put attractive women on screen over men to get more viewers) but from what I've noticed in general, most female game writers are good enough writers to carry their own weight, not just hired because of sex appeal. Even Jessica Chobot, who was seemingly hired for little more reason than producing a photo of simulating fellatio on a PSP, ended up being talented enough to not only write for IGN but develop a decent game.

1) You're watching someone learn how to play a game live. Besides a few minutes at E3 or other trade shows, this is the first time these players have booted up the game.

2) Say it with me now: It's really hard to talk / be entertaining / interact and play a game at the same time. Especially for a game like this. Your attention is split, so one of the two has to give: your gameplay or your commentary.

3) People edit their own memories of playing a game. When you play Cuphead you're going to die dozens and dozens of times, but afterward you'll remember the times you pulled off something amazing and will "edit out" your own shitty, embarrassing deaths.

I understand all of that. It's frustrating to me because I get the itch to grab the controller to give it a try myself when I see someone struggling. I could do just as terribly, but until I try it myself, it's a feeling I can't shake.

MikeBison

Yeah everyone who's played this game says it's brutal hard. And Alanah seems like a good egg from coverage and reviews of other games I've seen. So stop being a dick, guy.

Also, must be really hard to play, concentrate and talk to your co-host/answer questions.

Anyway, saw a couple of minutes. Didn't really need to, knew I'd get this game the absolute first second I saw it. Most impressive art style I have ever seen. Really my jam.

1) You're watching someone learn how to play a game live. Besides a few minutes at E3 or other trade shows, this is the first time these players have booted up the game.

2) Say it with me now: It's really hard to talk / be entertaining / interact and play a game at the same time. Especially for a game like this. Your attention is split, so one of the two has to give: your gameplay or your commentary.

3) People edit their own memories of playing a game. When you play Cuphead you're going to die dozens and dozens of times, but afterward you'll remember the times you pulled off something amazing and will "edit out" your own shitty, embarrassing deaths.

Damn... This pretty much knocks it out of the park. It's a shame this logic won't shine through for some people.

Artanisix

i can't believe this thread right now lmao

just turned on the stream and these girls are PERFECTLY FINE at the game. are they freakin' gods? no. are contra-likes normally popular with mainstream audience? no. can someone who is "bad" at the game enjoy it and learn on the fly without people flaming the shit out of them?

I'm amazed by the numbers of Cuphead pros in here.

You dont need to be a Cuphead Pro, it's honestly really not hard to be competent. I have 1000 hours in each Souls game which should be the bare minimum for any journalist who considers themselves respectable. Those are true games and conquering them should be requisite initiation into the field of professional games reporting and reviewing. If you cant be bothered to put in the effort why should I care about your opinion on a game like Cuphead. Sick of casuals trying to pose like they care. Stick to Minecraft

poodaddy

This won't be popular opinion, but I think it looks weird at 60 fps and takes away from the authenticity of the 30's cartoons they're going for. I'm sure it enhances gameplay a bit, but I hope there's a 30 or 40 fps option too.

If memory serves the only thing refreshing at 60 hz is the game logic, all the animations are 24 fps. I'm pretty sure that's what I read. The only thing running the game logic at 30 would do is literally halve the responsiveness of the game and make it feel vastly worse.

You dont need to be a Cuphead Pro, it's honestly really not hard to be competent. I have 1000 hours in each Souls game which should be the bare minimum for any journalist who considers themselves respectable. Those are true games and conquering them should be requisite initiation into the field of professional games reporting and reviewing. If you cant be bothered to put in the effort why should I care about your opinion on a game like Cuphead. Sick of casuals trying to pose like they care. Stick to Minecraft

Oh my 🤣

This thread has it all!

Off to Minecraft I go....

Watch out guys its a female playing. The world that we live in today if you criticize her gaming skills you might be called a sexist or anti feminist.

Conan-san

giphy.gif
... goddamnit, Jim fucking Stearling son...

Zeta Oni

That slot machine fight was very fun to watch, and that win with 1hp left had me at the edge of my seat.

Cant wait for Friday.

Edit: Does anyone know the input for parrying?

robotrock

Banned
I’m into this new bananafactory

Jesus these players suck

::edit::
Watch out guys its a female playing. The world that we live in today if you criticize her gaming skills you might be called a sexist or anti feminist.
While there are plenty of shitposts like that "prioritizing attractive women" joker, I feel you're on point. If a player sucks, they suck; use their sex as neither a shield nor a target. Just call a spade a spade.

SoundLad

I see the "GAMES ARE FOR BIG BOYS ONLY" effect is already in full swing here and Twitch chat.... smh

edit: How can people criticise the streamers when none of these critics have played the game themselves?? Game looks difficult.

poodaddy

What the fuck man, that's not what people got on that other poster about, read his post it's blatantly sexist and it implies that the women playing the game were chosen to play it purely because of their sex appeal. I mean it's ludicrous. What are you on about with this post?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

nervously-drinking-water.gif

Nabs

Can you parry those question marks? I wasn't going to pre-order the game, but now I really want to play this.

Why do all the Cuphead threads have to be absolutely fucking terrible? Asking for a friend.

Just preordered the game on GMG ~20% off.

poodaddy

Well played lol. I hate to say this, but you might wanna put an /s on the end of that, just to avoid any unfortunate misunderstandings and what not.

gschmidl

What the fuck man, that's not what people got on that other poster about, read his post it's blatantly sexist and it implies that the women playing the game were chosen to play it purely because of their sex appeal. I mean it's ludicrous. What are you on about with this post?

Garbage's gonna garb.

It's a game I think will do well with the streaming crowd, I think it's probably pretty fun to watch and play.

Indeed my viewers love to watch me play
fail :p
in this type of games recently I played the Metal Slug series (I have played each game tons of times but this was the first time for my audience) and it was a blast I can't wait to play Cuphead

gfxtwin

If memory serves the only thing refreshing at 60 hz is the game logic, all the animations are 24 fps. I'm pretty sure that's what I read. The only thing running the game logic at 30 would do is literally halve the responsiveness of the game and make it feel vastly worse.

Does that basically mean the "sprite" animations of the characters and objects (a running animation, spinning animation of a projectile, etc) are like 24 fps but the speed at which they as a whole move across the screen is 60 fps? Is that what's happening (that's what it looks like to my eye but I could be wrong)?

Here's what the game looks like at 30 fps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KaXZcjQiWc

Doesn't seem at all unplayable to me. Like I said, probably not as smooth/responsive of course, but not enough to drastically effect gameplay. 40 would probably be a happy medium.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Indeed my viewers love to watch me play
fail :p
in this type of games recently I played the Metal Slug series (I have played each game tons of times but this was the first time for my audience) and it was a blast I can't wait to play Cuphead

Definitely, part of the fun (plus the game is just very animated and fun to look at in general, as well as the bosses all have a nice rhythm it's fun to see people improve at I think).

labx

Banned

tenor.gif

Troll post of the year contender right here.

I can't wait that you stream your cuphead playtrough.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Watched a bit of the hub world and the slime boss, but as much as I want to keep watching I really want to go in blind. I'm already sold!

Kaban

ah god, watching them fighting this boss is frustrating. To be fair, the game does look difficult and I probably wouldn't fare much better, but damn they need to nail down those bouncing patterns

edit: seemed they nailed it this time

edit: yay!

mcmmaster

Please stream the game on launch without having played it before and show us all your perfect skills.

I played at EGX past weekend and cleaned up around 6 or so bosses on Regular fairly quickly.

New Game + seems like it will be the game's true challenge.

God this thread sucks. I just got done watching Patrick Klepek struggle with putting over in his Golf Story stream and no one game him shit because he clearly was figuring it all out. These players are playing a tough game that demands the player internalize patterns over time, and they are doing a pretty decent job on the fly, yet ya'll just feel the need to be awful about it. Get over it.

Anyway, game looks cool, glad I got in through GMG for 12 bucks. Seems like a steal for the art and animation alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom