• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 18 |OT| It's in the Switch

Quasar Jones

Neo Member
I just got the game on XBox One and have been noticing some framerate drops. Primarily when play gets into the box, or during long crosses. I experienced this with my EA Access copy of FIFA 17 too. Is this a common issue, or more likely a problem with my XBox?

Zasa

Do FUT players find the SBC worthwhile? I'm looking at the Mane one, and even if you had to buy all the cards, it's probably going to be a fraction of the cost of actually buying a Mane card. For the others, I'm not so sure. I guess it would work out a bit cheaper to buy cards to fulfill an SBC and get a good pack than just to buy the pack outright with coins, but I suppose it's still kind of close to buying cards, which everyone says you shouldn't do.
For sure. A lot of the league specific SBC’s are overpriced because they require rare bronze or silver players. Definitely not worth it at this stage unless you really want Quaresma/Gignac.

But the advanced SBCs (league & nation, etc) are the most profitable or safest in the game, by far. You can get 50k packs for a team worth 5k coins, & the group rewards give a big safety net as well. Don’t think you’ll find many who’ll tell you they aren’t worth it. Just build around the players in your club or find the general gist of the SBC on Futbin

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Yes, but if you play the weekend league and are good or mostly good you'll get plenty of coins and players to trade for better ones.

FUT is a time and money consuming endeavour. xD

And more importantly, it's terribly unfair.

Yes, but it still isn't worth spending all those hundreds of thousands of coins to get the reward player from an sbc

Turkoop

Banned
Feeling so lucky!
DLJLbzqXUAE9KSp.jpg:large

Carbonox

I used to be against SBC, then I went on Futhead and found myself spending most of my time with SBC stuff. Sites like those with squad recommendations (though time-sensitive as a bunch of players cheap and useful one day are way more expensive the next) are a great help in opening up modes for me I would otherwise ignore.

I now pretty much exclusively spend my time between Squad Challenges and SBC.

I always make a profit even if I don't get any players I like/want so it's a good shout. Stuff like Mane's SBC though I'll avoid. I find the reqs a bit too much for me at this moment in time. Stuff that give you big/rare packs are worth it though.

jts

...hate me...
Got to division 5 in Seasons (Switch) and I’m already 69 in the ranking lol

A couple of more promotions and I’ll be what, top 10?

jts

...hate me...
Yeah, I'm now #23 but just realising that the "global" leaderboard is actually, maybe, per country? Press ZR and check "overall", you will see everyone with the same flag. At least I do.

Lowest ranked friend I have is about #25000 - 0 points too. He has played 1 single game and lost. I wonder if people with no games played don't even get ranked? In any case, 25000 wouldn't be bad for a single country (Portugal). Probably not though. But I'm pretty sure I'm #23 of Portugal, not worldwide.

Zeus7

Can someone please settle an argument with my friends:

About 12 of us play a tournament every year and some argue that having the difficulty of the games set to semi-pro changes how good our players keepers are compared to legendary, or it could change how well our team mates position themselves when on the ball. Some say it makes no difference and it's only there to set the computer difficulty which doesn't apply in our case.

How do you defend? I feel like I have no control over the outcome of taking away the ball from the CPU

(Xbox controls, change as appropriate)

Jockey with LT to block off their path and hold them up, then use RB to call in pressure from a 2nd defender. If you feel like you can then make the tackle, hit B (standing tackle) or X (slide tackle)

Yeah, I'm now #23 but just realising that the "global" leaderboard is actually, maybe, per country? Press ZR and check "overall", you will see everyone with the same flag. At least I do.

Lowest ranked friend I have is about #25000 - 0 points too. He has played 1 single game and lost. I wonder if people with no games played don't even get ranked? In any case, 25000 wouldn't be bad for a single country (Portugal). Probably not though. But I'm pretty sure I'm #23 of Portugal, not worldwide.
25,000 per country would be a pretty good result, I reckon. If that's the sales for UK and Portugal, then you can probably expect 40k each for France and Germany, too.

I wonder if EA would be happy with, say, 500k lifetime worldwide.

(Xbox controls, change as appropriate)

Jockey with LT to block off their path and hold them up, then use RB to call in pressure from a 2nd defender. If you feel like you can then make the tackle, hit B (standing tackle) or X (slide tackle)

Thanks, will try this out tonight. My first FIFA game so it's all new to me right now

Thanks, will try this out tonight. My first FIFA game so it's all new to me right now
Yeah it's all about positioning really. Using the left trigger is absolutely crucial. It's all about closing them down, limiting their options, blocking off any escape routes/passes putting them under pressure and then nicking the ball away with a well-timed tackle when the opportunity presents itself.

Do you watch a lot of real football?

heringer

Gotta say, I feel like FUT is a pointless grind, but I'm hopelessly addicted to it. Kinda feels like a RPG. Though I probably look like this while playing:

fa5.jpg

Haven't even touched career yet, which was always my go to mode (never touched FUT before).

Just scored an absolute worldy with Pjanic. I'll never ever forever score one as sweet as that... ever. And it infinitely feels better on manual.

Also, the ref randomly decided to ghost run through the advertisement boards, the stands and out of the stadium after giving me a penalty for handball. Flasbacks of FIFA Soccer 94.

Yeah it's all about positioning really. Using the left trigger is absolutely crucial. It's all about closing them down, limiting their options, blocking off any escape routes/passes putting them under pressure and then nicking the ball away with a well-timed tackle when the opportunity presents itself.

Do you watch a lot of real football?

I’d say I watch it regularly

Robso

I notice my Pro Clubs player hasn't carried over to 18. It's not showing me the screen to create a pro from scratch. Is this normal? It carried over in last year's game.

25,000 per country would be a pretty good result, I reckon. If that's the sales for UK and Portugal, then you can probably expect 40k each for France and Germany, too.

I wonder if EA would be happy with, say, 500k lifetime worldwide.

Definitely not per country. There probably aren't even 10 Switch owners in my country and last I checked, the figure was several thousand. And everyone's flag is the same as my flag too, which is clearly a glitch.

Bought this on Switch after like 5 years of no FIFA and I'm addicted. Missing features and all, it's been a worthwhile purchase for me. FUT is the real deal. It's legit making me want to buy it on PS4 now.

Hopefully sales are up enough for them to make more. Don't give up on Nintendo, EA.

Now I remember one of the reason I stop buying FIFA

It's glitchly as hell. Game has frozen multiple times on me during goal celebrations and The ball disappered once, amusingly.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
So, I've never played a FIFA game...

I picked career over this FUT thing.

What's FUT about? I always thought it was like a career mode? But perhaps not...

greelay

Is there a way to turn off rain and snow in career mode? One of the two effects have been in like 75% of my games. Is that how people in the UK live? Just constant precipitation?

GrinWithoutaKat

Neo Member
So, I've never played a FIFA game...

I picked career over this FUT thing.

What's FUT about? I always thought it was like a career mode? But perhaps not...

It's a cross between a career and collecting sports cards/stickers. You earn coins through playing games, and can use those coins to buy packs which contain random players. There are consumables too, like each player has a number of games they are contracted for, and you can top up with contract cards.

I've only just started playing it for the first time so I'm a complete noob myself, but it's very addictive. Some good early advice I've been given is to not actually spend your coins on packs. It's a thrill opening one up and hoping to get that amazing player, but it's more cost effective to go into the transfer market and buy players you want with the coins. There are daily and weekly objectives which can be things like 'score a goal with a player from France' or 'score from a cross', and they can give out coins or packs as rewards.

The Squad Battles are something new this year but I'm making a lot of use out of them. You can play against 4 random squads a day (this number increases to 12 on weekends), and you get coins for completing games, but you also get squad battle points for them. At the end of the week, you will be ranked against everyone else and can get some good coins and cool packs as rewards depending on what bracket you came in (top 1%, top 9% etc).

Also, if you're going to play, use the companion app/web app. You can use it to check the daily objectives, to look through your squad, and eventually you unlock the ability to use the transfer market through it. Right now there are daily rewards such as packs or coins for logging in to it each day.

Robso

Is there a way to turn off rain and snow in career mode? One of the two effects have been in like 75% of my games. Is that how people in the UK live? Just constant precipitation?

Rain yes, snow no. In prior years if you go into the settings at the match screen you could choose time of day and the weather conditions. I assume that it's the same in 18.

Strax

So me and my friends buy FIFA every 3rd year and we were planning on getting FIFA 18. Problem is that two of my friends moved abroad in the time since we last bought FIFA. I've been doing some googling and is it right that you still can't play 2 vs. 2 online?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
It's a cross between a career and collecting sports cards/stickers. You earn coins through playing games, and can use those coins to buy packs which contain random

t. Right now there are daily rewards such as packs or coins for logging in to it each day.

Thanks heaps for this! Sounds different enough that I may indeed give it a go

The_Lump

Banned
Cross posting from other Switch thread.

I have to say I'm a little disappointed with the Switch version. I was really hyped for it and the first couple reviews, although highlighting some concerns, made it sound better than it actually is.

It' difficult to describe, but it feels like I'm playing a much older version of FIFA, just with a nicer skin on it. The physics and AI are just....off.

At first I though that's maybe because I'm coming from FIFA 17 on PS4, so naturally they would feel less refined and a bit more arcadey given it isn't using the same engine. But having plugged in FIFA 16 to compare it feels like some of the physics and AI in FIFA Switch aren't just outdated, they are just downright glitchy. Players aren't where they should be, so the game doesn't flow like a natural game (something I feel the last few FIFA games have gotten better at). Ball physics just don't feel realistic at all, same can be said for the physics of the players themselves (some of the impact animations during tackles are comically bad).

On the plus side the whole experience still feels like a full FIFA game and not many features are missing (although curiously I can't find the usual in-game contrast/brightness sliders?). Maybe I'll get used to the mechanics etc and I just need to give it more time. But first impressions are that it looks way better than last gen, but the game underneath feels way too arcady and more like a mobile version.

Any one else feel like its just a bit....off?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Yes, I already commented about it in this thread. I wouldn't say that it is as bad as you feel it is. But playing in parallel the PC and the Switch version makes me very aware how much better in terms of gameplay the PC version is. The Switch version is actually pretty close to FIFA 17, which also means that it has most of the issues FIFA 17 had: input lag due to animations running several frames after pressing a button, much more scripted defence AI )(which means that you can get away sometimes with being lazy in defence but also that the AI teams are sometimes unrealistically good at anticipating your moves), less active attacking AI. So you have to adapt to this style.

I think this says more about how good the PC version in fact. The changes in the gameplay compared to 17 are really great.

Been working on those SBC and completed a couple. Cant wait for the dissapointment when I open the mega ones after totw update.. opened 2 big packs yesterday and they were terrible.

Is there known if packs got some kind of bad luck protection?

Rogan

Banned
Literally everyone on PC has a mic and I can hear them eating and shit.

I can't find some easy way to mute everyone, I fucking hate this.

Edit: it's in the game settings. Before you press play, you need to uncheck the voice chat box in the audio tab. Now I can enjoy my music.

heringer

I have to say I'm a little disappointed with the Switch version. I was really hyped for it and the first couple reviews, although highlighting some concerns, made it sound better than it actually is.

It' difficult to describe, but it feels like I'm playing a much older version of FIFA, just with a nicer skin on it. The physics and AI are just....off.

At first I though that's maybe because I'm coming from FIFA 17 on PS4, so naturally they would feel less refined and a bit more arcadey given it isn't using the same engine. But having plugged in FIFA 16 to compare it feels like some of the physics and AI in FIFA Switch aren't just outdated, they are just downright glitchy. Players aren't where they should be, so the game doesn't flow like a natural game (something I feel the last few FIFA games have gotten better at). Ball physics just don't feel realistic at all, same can be said for the physics of the players themselves (some of the impact animations during tackles are comically bad).

On the plus side the whole experience still feels like a full FIFA game and not many features are missing (although curiously I can't find the usual in-game contrast/brightness sliders?). Maybe I'll get used to the mechanics etc and I just need to give it more time. But first impressions are that it looks way better than last gen, but the game underneath feels way too arcady and more like a mobile version.

Can't say I'm having the same experience. It's definitely different than the PC version, and inferior in most ways, but I still quite enjoy the physics and collisions. I also don't quite agree that it feels more arcade. If anything it feels less arcadey than PC version, simply because the movement and animation of the players have a greater impact on your passes and strikes. A few pages back somebody posted a video of a bunch of ping pong goals in the PC version that are not as easy to pull of with Switch version. That being said, crosses are much better on PC, and the game also feels smoother, closer to PES.

The_Lump

Banned
Yes, I already commented about it in this thread. I wouldn't say that it is as bad as you feel it is. But playing in parallel the PC and the Switch version makes me very aware how much better in terms of gameplay the PC version is. The Switch version is actually pretty close to FIFA 17, which also means that it has most of the issues FIFA 17 had: input lag due to animations running several frames after pressing a button, much more scripted defence AI )(which means that you can get away sometimes with being lazy in defence but also that the AI teams are sometimes unrealistically good at anticipating your moves), less active attacking AI. So you have to adapt to this style.

I think this says more about how good the PC version in fact. The changes in the gameplay compared to 17 are really great.

Can't say I'm having the same experience. It's definitely different than the PC version, and inferior in most ways, but I still quite enjoy the physics and collisions. I also don't quite agree that it feels more arcade. If anything it feels less arcadey than PC version, simply because the movement and animation of the players have a greater impact on your passes and strikes. A few pages back somebody posted a video of a bunch of ping pong goals in the PC version that are not as easy to pull of with Switch version. That being said, crosses are much better on PC, and the game also feels smoother, closer to PES.

Hmm. I'll stick with it and see if I get over it. Maybe I've just put too much time into the last version on PS4 and it's taking some time to adapt. its certainly enjoyable either way, and being able to play on the go is fantastic.

maxmars

Came here to say that I really like that the game is making you practice random stuff before matches, it's a non obtrusive way of keeping button layouts memorized (complete noob here). Last FIFA I played was before '10 so it may have been a thing for a while.

Lashley

Literally everyone on PC has a mic and I can hear them eating and shit.

I can't find some easy way to mute everyone, I fucking hate this.

Edit: it's in the game settings. Before you press play, you need to uncheck the voice chat box in the audio tab. Now I can enjoy my music.

Is there still loads of hackers/cheaters this year?

fut was rife with them

demonkaze

Is there many people here that play manual? I’ve always tried to play manual on fifa, even if I’m not overly great at it but it seems like most people are assisted online.

Been doing pro clubs with my brother and nephew and we’re all manual even though we get smashed a lot against assisted players.

Can you play with the pro controller on the switch in portable mode using the kickstand?
Yes.

Went back to my PC trial version, and I have to say, as good as the Switch version is, the other versions are just simply superior in every single way save for portability.

And through-balls of all varieties work much better too.

PC version feels more weighty and slow though that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Lashley

Played 20 FUT matches and no hackers. I remember FUT17 had big problems.

Trading is easy on PC btw, got my first million yesterday :D

Is it true squad battle rewards are worse than on consoles?

Reddit was saying anything less than elite 1 isn't worth it, since you get less than the equivalent on PC?

GrinWithoutaKat

Neo Member
I haven't played FIFA online in years, but the standard in any kind of online FUT seems way above what I remember the regular online games being a few years ago. I've managed a 0-0, a 2-1 win after ET and a 2-1 loss, but in each game I feel like I've been outplayed. Just qualifying for a weekend tournament is looking daunting.

When does the FUT market level out? I've had my eye on a few players all week, but their price seems to be going up quicker than I'm making coins. I imagine after a full week of squad battles and the weekend league, the amount of money the top players have by monday is going to be much higher than it is right now.

Kovacs

So the Switch version then.

I realised I was going to pay a graphical price for portability. I just didn't realise it was going to be so... dark.

V8pwka2.jpg

K7jg1zE.jpg

fBV4liR.jpg

csekSHg.jpg

96ASM4Z.jpg

These are untouched screenshots from a match I just had. This is supposed to be 3pm in the summer at Wembley. At times it's almost impossible to keep track of the ball. Did someone forget to pay the electric bill for the floodlights.

It's actually impacting my enjoyment of the game as in handheld mode there appears to be no way to adjust the brightness and as a Spurs fan I'm stuck with the accursed place as my home ground when playing a Premier League season.

I realised I was going to pay a graphical price for portability. I just didn't realise it was going to be so... dark.

V8pwka2.jpg

K7jg1zE.jpg

fBV4liR.jpg

csekSHg.jpg

96ASM4Z.jpg

These are untouched screenshots from a match I just had. This is supposed to be 3pm in the summer at Wembley. At times it's almost impossible to keep track of the ball. Did someone forget to pay the electric bill for the floodlights.

It's actually impacting my enjoyment of the game as in handheld mode there appears to be no way to adjust the brightness and as a Spurs fan I'm stuck with the accursed place as my home ground when playing a Premier League season.
Not all stadiums are like this and the sun shines brightly. Is this a thing in real life though with Wembly? Never been there

EDarkness

V8pwka2.jpg

K7jg1zE.jpg

fBV4liR.jpg

csekSHg.jpg

96ASM4Z.jpg

Looks like the shadow rolling over the stadium. Is that a thing for stadiums like that? Truth is, this is something I've been dealing with in my own game.

Top Bottom