• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA 18 |OT| It's in the Switch

giphy.gif

I play professional and WC

Try Legendary against a full chem team that has high rated players and weep :p

Seriously, I commend people who can regularly get 2500+ from Squad Battles matches. The AI are ruthless.

Chessr

I have not played a FIFA game in 20 years.
I guess beginner is for people who dont know what football/soccer is because i easy win 10+ -0 in fut. Amateur my record atm is 7-0
Then i for fun played a kick off match as Manchester United against Real Madrid on Legendary and only lost 0-4
I suspected a much bigger loss.
Switch version.

Which is yet another complete bullshit move by EA.

SURELY if there was one thing easy and time-conscious to implement, it must have been UI overlays what the fuck EA
The real bullshit move was their complete non-answer when asked why you can't play online against friends in the Switch version.

Si2k78

Digital foundry has their analysis of the switch version up.

https://youtu.be/G3Xktb4makM

Nothing too surprising, really. The core of the game is based on the last gen tech, but is enhanced to take advantage of the switch hardware. Devs introduces effects to improve image quality, the game holds up well to the ps4 version due to the 60fps/1080p presentation. Not bad.

TLZ

Banned
Digital foundry has their analysis of the switch version up.

https://youtu.be/G3Xktb4makM

Nothing too surprising, really. The core of the game is based on the last gen tech, but is enhanced to take advantage of the switch hardware. Devs introduces effects to improve image quality, the game holds up well to the ps4 version due to the 60fps/1080p presentation. Not bad.
It can't be compared to PS4. It's like saying 360 fifa 18 holds up well to PS4 because it's 1080p60. That's nonsense. It neither looks nor plays the same.

pbsapeer

Banned
Pbsapeer said:
The switch version definitely has some old gen feeling to it :
Not being able to fix an injury for this game only is a glaring one. Giving the responsibility to the assistant manager is from fifa from years ago.
Lack of linesmen.
Old style offside replays.
Also players pulling up injured in nearly every game. Holy shit that's such an old feature how is it still in this one?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
AI in squad battles have been such bullshit today

so cheap and cheaty, literally scoring with their only shot etc, wasn't like this earlier in the week either

pbsapeer

Banned
Like just a knock or bad enough to need subbing off?
Just a player "pulling up" so not able to pass to or anything. The commentators then state how someone has pulled up. It's something that I remember from the ps3 versions of FIFA but can't remember seeing it since ps4 although happy to be proven / told I'm wrong haha

Si2k78

It can't be compared to PS4. It's like saying 360 fifa 18 holds up well to PS4 because it's 1080p60. That's nonsense. It neither looks nor plays the same.

Actually, it can. A lot of the post processing and depth of field effects hold up well. No one is saying it’s the same. But for someone who picks up the switch version, they are still getting a full fat console experience with the ability to take it on the go if you need.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Found another bug in the Switch version. I bought some squad fitness items from the transfer market and they just don't appear in the apply squad training items screen. Bought both via buy now and bid and sent them to club. This is shitty.

I will just abandon the Switch version until it gets a patch (if ever) and play just the PC one.

Same bug. Played FIFA and left for work (Switch in Standby mode). When I came back home to play again the Switch was unresponsive. Black screen. Had to do a hard reset. Sucks.

Nintendo should fix this issue where a game can break the WHOLE system!

LOL. Nintendo is at fault? How?

Some people, blaming Nintendo when EA is the one who made a mess in some ways...

pbsapeer

Banned
Oh man. Playing FUT for the first time in switch. First game was set to beginner. Won 17-0. Boring AF. Managed to find the difficulty change screen at the beginning of the match and made it professional. Won 3-1 and it was a good game. Did loads of transfers and stuff to get the switch kit and I'm playing Burnley. 5-0 after 25 minutes. Where is the difficult change screen that is permanently changed?? Gahhhhhh

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

so cheap and cheaty, literally scoring with their only shot etc, wasn't like this earlier in the week either

The AI in squad battles is ridiculous. I'm playing now against TOTW after playing 2 squad battles against teams with worse players and the difference is unbelievable. On the same difficulty level. Playing against TOTW is a joy compared to that army of perfect robots that squad battle teams are.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
360 fifa doesn’t have the new gameplay moves of FIFA 18, that’s why they call it a legacy edition. The Switch version plays very close to the PS4 version.

A friend who has both says it’s easier to defend on Switch, but the PS4 patch now makes goalies far less useless than on the Switch version against long shots.

Oh man. Playing FUT for the first time in switch. First game was set to beginner. Won 17-0. Boring AF. Managed to find the difficulty change screen at the beginning of the match and made it professional. Won 3-1 and it was a good game. Did loads of transfers and stuff to get the switch kit and I'm playing Burnley. 5-0 after 25 minutes. Where is the difficult change screen that is permanently changed?? Gahhhhhh

What game mode are you playing? SP seasons are difficulty by tournament, Squad Battles you can pick it before each game.

DagsJT

Is FUT locked to normal or fast speed? It feels absolutely ridiculous and it's certainly not the slow speed I've set the main settings to.

TAD

Is FUT locked to normal or fast speed? It feels absolutely ridiculous and it's certainly not the slow speed I've set the main settings to.
Pretty sure it's locked to fast.

I'm sick of trying to play online UT already, I just can't do anything in this game, I've never been an amazing player but I could at least get to about division 5 in UT. This year it just feels ridiculous, every pass that's not 2 foot in front of me just goes straight to one of their players, I end up with 4 against 6 in attack every time and even though that means I have 6 men in defence the tackling is so ridiculous that I might as well have none. Every team I play against just passes the ball around me and it doesn't help that they all have fucking Henry and Ronaldo already even though I'm only in division 9.

DagsJT

Actually I'm playing a kick off game and that seems like it's playing at 100 miles per hour too. I'm wondering if slow speed is completely broken. FIFA 17 slow speed was fine, FIFA 18 on Switch feels fine, this is very much nowhere near slow.

Actually I'm playing a kick off game and that seems like it's playing at 100 miles per hour too. I'm wondering if slow speed is completely broken. FIFA 17 slow speed was fine, FIFA 18 on Switch feels fine, this is very much nowhere near slow.

It was fine before the patch on PC. Since then I had to drop the sprint speed and acceleration sliders for User and AI to 45 and now it feels more realistic. With default sliders in Career Mode after the patch it felt like every team in the Premier League was playing lightning fast counter-attack against me the entire match!

GrinWithoutaKat

Neo Member
Do we know when EA tend to release promo packs.

The normal 7.5k packs give be absolutely nothing.

There's usually a limited gold pack with more rares on the weekends.

Did the Neymar SBC last night and pulled Koscielny and Antonio who both went straight into my XI. Got Christensen from Chelsea too who's better OVR than Lovren but Lovren has the stats that seem to matter more.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Cuningas de Häme;251237708 said:
LOL. Nintendo is at fault? How?

Some people, blaming Nintendo when EA is the one who made a mess in some ways...

I wonder if this is a Switch operating system bug introduced with the latest firmware. My Switch has been flawless since launch but has black screen hard locked on me twice in the past week when trying to wake it up from sleep mode. Once with Mario Kart 8 and once with Mario X Rabbids.

Just a player "pulling up" so not able to pass to or anything. The commentators then state how someone has pulled up. It's something that I remember from the ps3 versions of FIFA but can't remember seeing it since ps4 although happy to be proven / told I'm wrong haha

Every couple of games a guy goes down from a heavy knock but gets back up (PS4). Most games someone has a cross above their player with a minor injury that usually goes away

Think it's me and my crazy hard tackling that causes most of it :p

ElGoldur

Neo Member
Can I have tournaments with the National teams? It seems the only available option is to have friendly matches between National teams.

Even if I make a custom tournament with my National team, the other teams available are clubs. This doesn't make any sense. Am I missing something ?

fl1p

Neo Member
Career Mode WARNING

If you disable the first transfer window for realism, it ALSO, stupidly disables future Summer transfer windows for expiring contract transfers and signing people outside of the transfer window.

So if you say, try to get Barkley on a free 6 months ahead in January, or organise a transfer in June, you won't see them join until the next January transfer window.

How does this pass testing?

NHale

So I'm not the only one feeling that AI on the same difficult level (World Class) is a lot different since Friday than it was before?

Seriously I was winning 90% of the games at that difficulty, some with a lot of luck due to misses of the AI but now I lose 90% of the games. I've even lost 1 game with a 20 yard out shot from the AI (that was their only shot of the game), while I've shot 15 times with a silver GK making unbelievable saves.

Scripting in FIFA is something I refuse to believe but it's so hard not to sometimes...

Squad battle is garbage.

Rewards are a joke, even if you manage to grind up to gold and elite.

Weekend league is a shitshow too, at least rewards are better (and it's actually easier getting to elite or top 40/100).

And I say this as someone who constantly gets there and has been in the world top ten (in my region? forgot how it's actually ranked) for a couple of weeks on Fifa 17 (pc).

Sometimes it's just not fun.

pbsapeer

Banned
I don't understand the point of FUT. Ive got played but they get tired so I have to pretty much rotate the squad for alternate games and then they run down contracts. Can someone explain what I'm doing.

GrinWithoutaKat

Neo Member
This game has a sick sense of humour. Three times this weekend, I've been hunting for the final player for an SBC, either taking an age or paying too much, only to end up with that same player in the pack for completing the SBC.

jorgejjvr

Hey guys, how's fifa on switch? My dad's birthday is coming up, and I'm thinking of getting it for him. Big fan of soccer

And he played the wii u version and had a ton of fun

Are there active players online. I guess that can't be worse than wii u

Carbonox

Got Kante in a Mega Pack (reward for an SBC) earlier today. First time I've ever had a big player in a UT pack. Well chuffed.

Working on the available Squad Battles matches today and I should be still in Elite 3 by the time the rewards roll out at 1am.

Cpt Lmao

Switch version of this game is pissing me off

- Players don't make attacking runs, nor do they get in the box for crosses,
- Opposing players are way to good with interceptions
- Players cannot make simple passes
- No options to change individual player behaviour in online seasons

I rarely lost in Fifa 17, yet in this game I straight up cannot win. Also seems like that Spurs' default 3-4-3 is just not viable for online play.

Switch version of this game is pissing me off

- Players don't make attacking runs, nor do they get in the box for crosses,
- Opposing players are way to good with interceptions
- Players cannot make simple passes
- No options to change individual player behaviour in online seasons

I rarely lost in Fifa 17, yet in this game I straight up cannot win. Also seems like that Spurs' default 3-4-3 is just not viable for online play.

Tbh that's probably just Spurs rather than the formation 😆

Top Bottom