• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

avaya

-viper- said:
Yep, that is the one.

Is the FF supposed to be this strong?

I don't have the X1, I remember the F2007, generally with a formula cars you will feel every bump conceivable on the track.

So yeah even on the straight the FF should be quite strong.

GodofWine

Captain Pants said:
Any tips for tuning? I have to brake or downshift on the corners and all of the other cars seem to be able to maintain speed. I got my ass handed to me.

I took multiple attempts to get the RM ZR1 to win the indy Like the Wind event....thought GAF pulled a joke on me since I was getting killed by the other cars.

Soft Race tires, drop rear down force as far as you can, raise the front up about 10 (I forget the numbers), add some camber to front and rear, stiffen the suspension....

I went from only being able to get around the turns at about 170mph to maintaining 190+ which allows you to stay far enough ahead that those monsters don't quite pass you on the straights.

Now, I just need to learn to drive better to win the daytona road course one...also, I need to figure out a good setup.

Ristlager

Here is a tip for those with kids needing a good base for the wheel and dont have a good table. The trip trap chair for children is perfect for mounting the wheel on. Just take off the safety band (if its on) and put the wheel on the top shelf. Then take out or put the lower shelf on the bottom and put the gas/break/clutch-base on the other side and put you feet through it. Use a regular tablechair to sitt on.

Don't know how well known these chairs are so here is a picture:

http://www.stokke.com/~/media/8BEBDFD8AED04012B7E0BD7ABDAE2A63.ashx?mw=759

offshore

Manticore said:
Hey guys, what's the best race to level up B-Spec driver? need it for Signature Edition competition :D
It really sucks that you need B-Spec for that competition. If I'd have bought the SE, I've have been spitting feathers.

You would have thought it would be based on actual driving skill.

Victarion

offshore said:
It really sucks that you need B-Spec for that competition. If I'd have bought the SE, I've have been spitting feathers.

Yeah that sucks, but I've been in another competition for GT5 in Middle East, sadly I came in fifth place :( the guy on the first place won a trip to Stuttgart for watching DTM race and other stuff, second guy won a 3D TV and PS3.

Wow the ZR-1 with RM and all the upgrades is a MONSTER, it took Like the Wind and ripped it to pieces, awesome! Used it for the Laguna Seca "All America" event too, a good solid win there.

With my new shiny Toyota Minolta, is that good to go for the GT All Stars? It looks like it should.

brentech

KennyLinder said:
Wow the ZR-1 with RM and all the upgrades is a MONSTER, it took Like the Wind and ripped it to pieces, awesome! Used it for the Laguna Seca "All America" event too, a good solid win there.

With my new shiny Toyota Minolta, is that good to go for the GT All Stars? It looks like it should.
That's what I ended up golding it with.

avaya

KennyLinder said:

Minolta will destroy all before you in All Stars

X-Frame

I hope that the next Seasonal Bonus races take into account each car's maximum HP after an initial oil-change and break-in period.

offshore

Okay, I've decided what the next GT5 update needs; the ability to set and lock the time of day and weather for time change and weather enabled tracks in Arcade/Practice mode.

It's really frustrating when you want to drive the Ring at night and in the rain, but the game decides it's going to be sunny and in the morning.

avaya said:
Minolta will destroy all before you in All Stars

Awesome. I also need to get my hands on a touring car for the Extreme Touring Car event. I saw that that super juicy Lexus Concept can be used, but as there is no spec I am not sure it would be as quick as the others in the field. It's a lovely looking car, so might buy it anyway, it certainly looks quick!

Anyone used said Lexus? Or should I hunt down the Audi or BMW? I think they are in the GT Online Dealer.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
offshore said:
Okay, I've decided what the next GT5 update needs; the ability to set and lock the time of day and weather for time change and weather enabled tracks in Arcade/Practice mode.

It's really frustrating when you want to drive the Ring at night and in the rain, but the game decides it's going to be sunny and in the morning.

"Time of Day"
"Weather" (Fixed) <--Click this.

offshore

TheSeks said:
"Time of Day"
"Weather" (Fixed) <--Click this.
Yeah, but that's just (some) course maker tracks though. I meant for the Ring, Sarthe, etc.

If you want to race the Ring at night in the rain for example, you have to wait for the game to decide that it's going to be those conditions. It needs an option so you can set it never to stop raining or go into sunlight. (or indeed vice versa)

TheSeks

offshore said:
Yeah, but that's just (some) course maker tracks though. I meant for the Ring, Sarthe, etc.

If you want to race the Ring at night in the rain for example, you have to wait for the game to decide that it's going to be those conditions. It needs an option so you can set it never to stop raining or go into sunlight. (or indeed vice versa)

No you don't. At least on online mode you don't.

Pick the course, then pick the time of day. Fix it. Then set the weather to rain and fix that. Then start the race.

test_account

XP-39C²
offshore said:

At least with B-Spec more people have a chance to win :) If it was based on actual racing, i think that only a handful of people would have a chance of winning. I think that a raffle would be the most fair thing (i actually thought that it was going to be a raffle when i first heard about the competition).

KennyLinder said:
Awesome. I also need to get my hands on a touring car for the Extreme Touring Car event. I saw that that super juicy Lexus Concept can be used, but as there is no spec I am not sure it would be as quick as the others in the field. It's a lovely looking car, so might buy it anyway, it certainly looks quick!

Anyone used said Lexus? Or should I hunt down the Audi or BMW? I think they are in the GT Online Dealer.

I used it, works great. I probably tuned it up a bit first.

brentech

Nothing like giving a level 9 driver a Formula GT to use in the extreme Japanese supercar event...telling him to pace down and walking away while he easily wins a 30 lap race....in the rain no less
lol
Nice that I can just not worry about it, but also just a glaring flaw with the point of B-Spec

TheSeks

brentech said:
Nice that I can just not worry about it, but also just a glaring flaw with the point of B-Spec

What flaw? Using an overpowered car to let a dumbass AI overpower the other dumbass AI?

brentech

TheSeks said:
What flaw? Using an overpowered car to let a dumbass AI overpower the other dumbass AI?
Yeah. While I could simply use a similar car to keep them close and make it interesting, it just goes to show that their progression model is based on nothing.

If you're going to have a long leveling process (a or b spec), they should of at least tried to make it more interesting. I really don't know what the fix would be myself, but they clearly didn't have much vision for it either.

In the end, I'm just grinding through it to fill my completionist needs, so once I'm done I'll just continue loving the driving and get more into online play. But yea..

the point of b-spec is getting to a level high enough where you can just walk away and let driver bob do his thing. the micro management is necessary to get to that point, once you get above level 30 to the endurance races, monitoring bob isnt necessary.

Goldrusher said:
Bronze in the Vettel challenges should have been at least 10s slower.
I can do Monza, but Nurburgring g/p is a fucking bastard. I dont have the reflexes to do it on a pad, the car is too touchy, even with aids on. I havnt even bothered with Suzuka, everyone says it's harder than the ring, so I assume it's a nightmare.

-viper-

Banned
theignoramus said:
I can do Monza, but Nurburgring g/p is a fucking bastard. I dont have the reflexes to do it on a pad, the car is too touchy, even with aids on. I havnt even bothered with Suzuka, everyone says it's harder than the ring, so I assume it's a nightmare.
Nurburgring GP and Suzuka. The two tracks in the game I suck the most at.

:\

The double apex corners in Suzuka simply murder me.

-viper- said:
Fucking hell. The X1 is impossible to keep under control in straights. My best lap on Monza is 1.02 but I'm sure I could probably cut down a second or two if the FF was at least controllable. Every other time I go on it, I end up doing 1 minute 10 seconds because of the crazy FF. The wheel shakes like a mad motherfucker. There is this particular corner which always gets me. It's the one after the second S chicane.

that's the downforce bug giving you crazy ff

it pushes the wheels through the track:
rome_1py7r.jpg

they need to update their bridgestone texture too :sick

Melfice7

-viper- said:

Did bronze at Suzuka just now -.- fuck gold

edit: and bronze at 'ring gp

got almost 2 levels :lol and the x1 is mine!

Dibbz

A few of us over in the Super GT league are going to be racing tonight at 9pm GMT. If anyone wants some fun races tonight let me know, I'll be setting a room up.

You don't need Super GT cars, I don't mind using road cars or any others. Got any ideas for types of races you want to do let me know.

brentech

theignoramus said:
the point of b-spec is getting to a level high enough where you can just walk away and let driver bob do his thing. the micro management is necessary to get to that point, once you get above level 30 to the endurance races, monitoring bob isnt necessary.
So you're saying the point is to turn the game on and then not do anything? Riveting!
See my point?
I like the visuals and all, but there isn't much enjoyment to be had considering it's part of the games completion percent. So if you care about that, you gotta do it (at least you earn credits and cars), but wouldn't you rather be playing the game yourself?

I really don't want to come off as if I don't like the game because I absolutely love it. I was just trying to say that B-Spec is fairly silly as is. Could of used some sprucing up to make it more intriguing. I just thought there would be more for me to do as a team owner. That's it.

brentech said:
So you're saying the point is to turn the game on and then not do anything? Riveting!
See my point?
I like the visuals and all, but there isn't much enjoyment to be had considering it's part of the games completion percent. So if you care about that, you gotta do it (at least you earn credits and cars), but wouldn't you rather be playing the game yourself?

I really don't want to come off as if I don't like the game because I absolutely love it. I was just trying to say that B-Spec is fairly silly as is. Could of used some sprucing up to make it more intriguing. I just thought there would be more for me to do as a team owner. That's it.
not, it's to turn the game on, then do something else like sleep, go out, or bang your wife.:D:lol

avaya

brentech said:
See my point?

You are not wrong, making B-spec mandatory is shocking. B-spec is complete madness. There is a reason why racing management games don't seem to sell because such a tiny minority enjoy them. Kaz was on some serious crack when he did this. B-spec should be as it was in GT4, an alternative method of completing the game. Not a mandatory mode. My guys are just doing the Super GT series now, 50mins per race, very little xp and credits. 50mins of doing absolutely nothing.

expy

Banned
Melfice7 said:
Did bronze at Suzuka just now -.- fuck gold

edit: and bronze at 'ring gp

got almost 2 levels :lol and the x1 is mine!
Welcome to the club! I think I can silver 2 of the tracks, I'll go back and try them later.

Firewire

Banned
-viper- said:

Suzuka is one of my favorite tracks. It really isn't that hard to master with practice, don't worry about times just learn the lines for the corners and remember slow in and fast out. After awhile you will freak at the fast lap times you will achieve.

-viper-

Banned
I tried going for the gold on IC-10... yeah.. fuck that. I'm happy with my silver.

In fact, a lot of the challenges in IC are difficult. I can't gold the 1000m stopping test, the Indianapolis Speedway double S corner, the Deep Forest one and the Charmonix one. Only silver here.

avaya

-viper- said:
I tried going for the gold on IC-10... yeah.. fuck that. I'm happy with my silver.

In fact, a lot of the challenges in IC are difficult. I can't gold the 1000m stopping test, the Indianapolis Speedway double S corner, the Deep Forest one and the Charmonix one. Only silver here.

IC-10 is an order of magnitude harder than all other license tests. S-license is a complete joke.

-viper-

Banned
Gloomfire said:
Most people use a LMP, Group C car or the ZR-1 RM.

Have you already got the Zonda R? Try it out to see if you're able to get first place in the events. There are some tunes on the GTP forum to help provide better grip with the car too. The Zonda R is a difficult car to drive I feel :p

-viper-

Banned
I wish the first corner has damage disabled. Every time I play online, retards always ram your ass into the barriers. It's awful in city tracks.

Dibbz

In 2 hours I'll make a GT5 room for some gaffers and I. I'll post the room details when I make it.

Anyone up for it let me know.

alterego

There's an article in the new iPad only magazine "Project”.

The first issue is free now so I hope there's no problem with posting it here.
Thought it might be interesting to some.

Top Bottom