• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

How do I delete Tsukuba from my GT?

After 9 hours (in one day, stupid I know) and 541 laps, I'm done with that track forever.

---

And that Polyphony video is so funny hahaha Some were clearly not used to the D layout with that curve to the right instead of going forward :p

Got back to the game during the weekend. Worked my way to complete the expert tier of A spec races, leveled up to 26 and finally scraped enough money to buy a Formula Gran Turismo. Holy crap is this car insane. Now I'll move forward through the extreme tier, from which I already have a couple events done.
Edit: Damn, wrong thread.

Angst

Dash Kappei said:
Why are people still posting in the old thread?
Is there a specific reason?
I think there's an argument that "a patch thread can't be an OT" so they stubbornly posts here in the "real" OT. I'd prefer everyone to stick to the Spec 2 OT on the gaming side, but to each their own.

amar212

Dash Kappei said:
Why are people still posting in the old thread?
Is there a specific reason?

We have a subconscious entitlement to push this thread into OP3 in the Community section while keeping the real news going into the Spec 2 thread :)

It seems like i´m missing all the fun, but once i´m settled on my new place i will rejoin you guys. I bought the DLC but couldn´t play. Had to move, had to solve a YLOD situation and in the end i´m still waiting to try the new features.

After a few weeks, how good was the new option to tone down slipstreaming?

amar212

seattle6418 said:
After a few weeks, how good was the new option to tone down slipstreaming?

Perfect, period.

I race regular weekend races within my community and it works as it should. We never came back to "strong".

New lobby options are good, "Visual Damage OFF" being most useful for preventing small lagging and hickups, while "Slipstream Weak" and "Prohibited Tuning" giving most for the actual gameplay.

We did a small internal survey within my closest racing-buddies and agreed how only MP-related options we'd like to get extra are:

- ability to force-restrict ABS OFF
- ability to force-restrict cockpit/bumper view (prevention of usage of hood-cam is really a must now when all cars have cockpits)
- have "Tire Wear" optional as "Normal/Fast" (as in GT4 LAN for instance)

I would appreciate if i could save settings for the lobby just from perspective of regular annoyance with making game "serous" form default "casual". Another thing would be option of server displaying actual connection-quality for each driver in the lobby so we can finally detect who messes our races most :)

Also, putting tracks into some queue so game automatically loads them would be great, but it not so important really. Game advances with every update and I can predict how GT5 in 2012 will be even greater experience than it is today.

Dead Man

amar212 said:
Perfect, period.

I race regular weekend races within my community and it works as it should. We never came back to "strong".

New lobby options are good, "Visual Damage OFF" being most useful for preventing small lagging and hickups, while "Slipstream Weak" and "Prohibited Tuning" giving most for the actual gameplay.

We did a small internal survey within my closest racing-buddies and agreed how only MP-related options we'd like to get extra are:

- ability to force-restrict ABS OFF
- ability to force-restrict cockpit/bumper view (prevention of usage of hood-cam is really a must now when all cars have cockpits)
- have "Tire Wear" optional as "Normal/Fast" (as in GT4 LAN for instance)

I would appreciate if i could save settings for the lobby just from perspective of regular annoyance with making game "serous" form default "casual". Another thing would be option of server displaying actual connection-quality for each driver in the lobby so we can finally detect who messes our races most :)

Also, putting tracks into some queue so game automatically loads them would be great, but it not so important really. Game advances with every update and I can predict how GT5 in 2012 will be even greater experience than it is today.
Why the bold?

amar212

Dead Man said:
Why the bold?

Because roof-cam view offers too much advantage to the player who uses it. Camera offers greater filed-view and judging a situations is much easier.

Also, actual driving is easier because of the specific position of the camera which than translates to the physics sensation ond actual driving-performance. With roof-cam point of physics is on the middle of the car and there is no "side" handicap as in cockpit cam.

Because of the unique combination of both above, drivers who drive with roof-cam are often engaging in "too brave" driving, especially when they subconsciously approach to someone's duel in front.

I personally have the somewhat similar sentiment to bumper-cam driving, but since many players does not have big-screen TV's and cockpit driving makes them uncomfortable, I can live with that. At least, their perspective of relative distance and height is not crazy as in roof-cam view.

I have nothing against anybody using whatever camera he likes in Public Lobbies or his private races, but once it comes to private-held competitive multiplayer, I love to be 100% sure that everyone races under same conditions.

Dead Man

amar212 said:
Because roof-cam view offers too much advantage to the player who uses it. Camera offers greater filed-view and judging a situations is much easier.

Also, actual driving is easier because of the specific position of the camera which than translates to the physics sensation ond actual driving-performance. With roof-cam point of physics is on the middle of the car and there is no "side" handicap as in cockpit cam.

Because of the unique combination of both above, drivers who drive with roof-cam are often engaging in "too brave" driving, especially when they subconsciously approach to someone's duel in front.

I personally have the somewhat similar sentiment to bumper-cam driving, but since many players does not have big-screen TV's and cockpit driving makes them uncomfortable, I can live with that. At least, their perspective of relative distance and height is not crazy as in roof-cam view.

I have nothing against anybody using whatever camera he likes in Public Lobbies or his private races, but once it comes to private-held competitive multiplayer, I love to be 100% sure that everyone races under same conditions.
Fair enough. Thanks.

amar212 said:

I know I am considerably slower in cockpit camera and yes, I can (and do) get much closer to the car in front when I use roof cam. Being able to restrict the cameras would be a good option. We all know it sucks when it rains or in certain cars but... it would be more fun.

offshore

Doing online NASCAR races in cockpit view is just unbelievably intense, so much so, that I often have to use chase cam because I'm so fearful of causing accidents, and because it is just too hard to gauge where cars relevant to your surroundings are when you're in cockpit view.

The problem with cockpit view is that peripheral vision is not wide enough. When in a real car on a motorway say, you can see in your outside gaze that a car is overtaking on your passenger side; in GT5 - and to be fair, pretty much every racer ever created - you can't see that, and have to move the camera around, which then means you're not looking at the road. We also have no option to tailor seat/height/mirror settings to our taste, something which should really be an option.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, what is the new "Like the Wind-Indy" for grinding cash?

Also any good tips for Nascar Extreme series in the A-spec campaign?

Polyphony

I do the B-Spec seasonal at Rome. 5 Laps race easily won with a stock RUF CTR Yellowbird (lowered engine power). 340,000 credits if you have a 200% multiplier done in 7 minutes. You also get a new suit every time.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Polyphony said:
I do the B-Spec seasonal at Rome. 5 Laps race easily won with a stock RUF CTR Yellowbird (lowered engine power). 340,000 credits if you have a 200% multiplier done in 7 minutes. You also get a new suit every time.

Hmm... may do that. I saw they nerfed Like the Wind Indy with this update or sometime between like 1.06-1.08 to Spec 2.

6for8

The Ferrari A-Spec seasonal at la Sarthe has a nice reward. $336,000 and 28,000 exp in 3.5 minutes with the 200% boost.

justin.au

So I learnt about the suspend race/auto-drive bug today.

In quite a bad way.

That'll teach me for thinking that things will work as they should.

offshore said:
The problem with cockpit view is that peripheral vision is not wide enough. When in a real car on a motorway say, you can see in your outside gaze that a car is overtaking on your passenger side; in GT5 - and to be fair, pretty much every racer ever created - you can't see that, and have to move the camera around, which then means you're not looking at the road. We also have no option to tailor seat/height/mirror settings to our taste, something which should really be an option.

No, to me the biggest problem is that it shakes so much that it becomes impossible for me to use it.

It hurts my eyes and i think my eyeballs are going to fall off. I hated the change a la Need for Speed. It was good enough in Prologue.

Sure a real car shakes a lot when racing, but since you are inside, you are shaking with it, so vision is not that affected.

This turned out to be a huge bummer for me because i can´t use the cockpit view for more than a few minutes. It´s only bearable in slow cars. Nascar and Le Mans cars = impossible.

Would be great to force the cockpit view in online races. I loved that option in hardcore mode in Dirt 3 online. Trail Blazer with Hardcore mode....amazing.

They should just have it be one check mode - disables all assists and forces cockpit view.

Melfice7

seattle6418 said:
No, to me the biggest problem is that it shakes so much that it becomes impossible for me to use it.

It hurts my eyes and i think my eyeballs are going to fall off. I hated the change a la Need for Speed. It was good enough in Prologue.

Sure a real car shakes a lot when racing, but since you are inside, you are shaking with it, so vision is not that affected.

This turned out to be a huge bummer for me because i can´t use the cockpit view for more than a few minutes. It´s only bearable in slow cars. Nascar and Le Mans cars = impossible.

Completely agree and i can't see how PD doesn't get that, but if they wanna keep the shake so bad make it like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxxM4q8OSTo&feature=related where the camera isn't fixed to the car and we can focus on the damn road

justin.au

amar212 said:
Did you cut the pit-entry and went in with non-reduced speed and approach?
No I just did a normal pit approach. The first time I tried to pit I went in too fast and just shot off on to the track, so I tried again on the next lap at a decent speed following the road.

I didn't know about the bug so I had no idea about the risk minimisation techniques people seem to have come up with (what a disgrace that they have to).

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I'm starting to get into the game a bit more now, although I'm still terrible at driving. I got a free Nissan GT-R GT500 and found that when I tried to take it into one of the A-spec races I kept running off the track in corners.

Anyway, is there any disadvantage to buying used cars? At the moment I'm just making some money by letting a B-spec race run in the background while I'm watching TV, but it's not very much.

gillty

Banned
I'm starting to get into the game a bit more now, although I'm still terrible at driving. I got a free Nissan GT-R GT500 and found that when I tried to take it into one of the A-spec races I kept running off the track in corners.

Anyway, is there any disadvantage to buying used cars? At the moment I'm just making some money by letting a B-spec race run in the background while I'm watching TV, but it's not very much.
Gran Turismo 5 Spec 2.0 |OT| - We Love DLC!

AFAIK, they need an oil change and that is about it. Also used cars are standard models and are generally ugly so thats another negative, but for B-spec not a big deal.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Gran Turismo 5 Spec 2.0 |OT| - We Love DLC!

AFAIK, they need an oil change and that is about it. Also used cars are standard models and are generally ugly so thats another negative, but for B-spec not a big deal.

Thanks, I wasn't sure which thread was the one I was supposed to actually be posting in. The title of the other one kinda of implied it was for the DLC or whatever. I don't think I'm anywhere close to touching that yet.

Akira_83

Banned
so i havent played a GT game since GT3 and wanted to get back into the series

is GT5 a good game?

i read so many bad impressions about all this premium models stuff it really put me off the game this whole time

i dont care much about framerate or graphics, but consistency is like one of my biggest pet peeves ever

and i hate the idea that when in a race, some cars will be premium models and others wont... i just cant handle that idea... its like make them all the premium high poly models or dont do any at all

so how jarring is it? is it REALLY noticeable?

so i havent played a GT game since GT3 and wanted to get back into the series

is GT5 a good game?

i read so many bad impressions about all this premium models stuff it really put me off the game this whole time

i dont care much about framerate or graphics, but consistency is like one of my biggest pet peeves ever

and i hate the idea that when in a race, some cars will be premium models and others wont... i just cant handle that idea... its like make them all the premium high poly models or dont do any at all

so how jarring is it? is it REALLY noticeable?

It's noticeable on some cars, but not really jarring. You can just race with Premium cars if you want to.

As is GT5 a good game? Well yes, it's the best (semi)realistic racer out there.

Top Bottom