• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is This Really Worth The Price NeoGAF Is Paying? A Call for Reason

c0de

NeoGaf.com is just a domain name. If what makes it great moves to a new domain then nothing of value is lost.

It's not. It has a name that's well known, a database full of recent gaming history, awesome quotes and threads and had a somehow established "society" that doesn't come from nothing but evolves over years. This is of course also influenced by mods that take care of the society.
A new forum with new mods and a different user base will never be the same, for better or worse.
But seeing that several news sites already talk about resetera, they know how to do pr right at least.
We'll see how it turns out in the end.

I'm not sure it's fair to say people are leaving over the most recent allegation that served as the catalyst for all of this. Some may have, but I think most were disgusted with the way he responded. A lot were also not familiar with the past examples of behavior showing a certain personality and that these allegations are not the first time being involved in unsavory activities. Then you have the fact that effectively half of the forums were killed. Half of GAF's identity and a huge part of what defined it. GAF hadn't been just about video games for the better part of the last decade. Evilore himself and the mods he chose encouraged this. To simply delete it all and ban any discourse about things that matter to a great many people in the community is madness to the say the least.

Agreed. The handling of the situation has been very ill judged and doesn't paint Evilore in a flattering light. It also goes to show that ultimatey he owns the balance of power, which I am not particularly comfortable with.

Usobuko

Banned
It's not. It has a name that's well known, a database full of recent gaming history, awesome quotes and threads and had a somehow established "society" that doesn't come from nothing but evolves over years. This is of course also influenced by mods that take care of the society.
A new forum with new mods and a different user base will never be the same, for better or worse.
But seeing that several news sites already talk about resetera, they know how to do pr right at least.

Have you seen the state of some of the OT?

Especially retro gaf?

All these years of work attracting like-minded gamers are disappearing.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Which is exactly why nuking OT is just inexcusable.

Apath

I don't know what a community is without its core members.

c0de

I don't know what a community is without its core members.

Depends on what you think core members are. I already saw some leave and thought "thanks for leaving". But this is of course completely subjective and it's also completely unknown if the new home will be anything like neogaf. But at the same time, it doesn't have to be, of course. There are way too many variables to the whole situation to infer anything right now.

People saying they are going to try and save their favorite message board..er there is nothing to save. What exactly do you think is going to happen the next time something sketchy goes down? EL has already shown he is willing to at the very least destroy whatever community he wants to save his own ass. Why invest in something one selfish person can easily destroy

Ombra

People saying they are going to try and save their favorite message board..er there is nothing to save. What exactly do you think is going to happen the next time something sketchy goes down? EL has already shown he is willing to at the very least destroy whatever community he wants to save his own ass. Why invest in something one selfish person can easily destroy
You are still here. That is a start.

c0de

The forum is certainly new but the mods and userbase are core Gaf members and mods who left.

Again, who defines core? Matt being a mod is, let's say, "interesting" while Durante is a good choice, in my opinion. Then you have people like zhuge and shinobi running the site which is quite important but at the same time I can already see an interest from both that mainly benefits themselves.
As someone who has almost never posted in OT, there are more members I never heard of than members I know so the "core" definition is completely subjective.

Ichabod

Banned
NeoGAF just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about edge-lord suicide posts (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is on Reddit where you can become successful by copying other peoples' memes until you make it to the frontpage. If you screw the community over on NeoGAF, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance. 

What this means is the GAF community, after seeing all the super edgy suicide posts, won't keep their sock puppet accounts around anymore, nor will they whitelist the site on adblock when they eventually comeback. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but NeoGAF has alienated an entire market with recent actions.

NeoGAF, publicly apologize and cancel the cancellation of the OT or you can kiss your business goodbye.

cilonen

Again, who defines core? Matt being a mod is, let's say, "interesting" while Durante is a good choice, in my opinion. Then you have people like zhuge and shinobi running the site which is quite important but at the same time I can already see an interest from both that mainly benefits themselves.
As someone who has almost never posted in OT, there are more members I never heard of than members I know so the "core" definition is completely subjective.

So this super welcoming alternative is being run by the lady who was wrong (making stuff up?) about the Switch leaks, someone I’ve never heard of, and the dude who got paid to positively influence word of mouth on Mass Effect Andromeda. Seems legit.

c0de

So this super welcoming alternative is being run by the lady who was wrong (making stuff up?) about the Switch leaks, someone I’ve never heard of, and the dude who got paid to positively influence word of mouth on Mass Effect Andromeda. Seems legit.

I didn't follow the Switch drama, who is this lady?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
ahh yes, getting up and leaving my friends/family/home to protest a president i didn't vote for is the same as finding a new video game website.

I think he is saying that in the end we take up a moral stance only when the cost is really low. See real boycotts for news organisations, Internet and tech companies, media companies, etc...

cilonen

I didn't follow the Switch drama, who is this lady?

She wrote a series of tweets and articles in the months leading up to the launch of the Switch with supposed leaks consisting of stuff anyone could work out about the system from PR sources mixed in with clickbaity stuff that turned out to be false such as Zelda having a gender choice option for the player character and Pokemon coming in the first year. She doesn’t have a great track record on Nintendo rumours.

https://www.racingjunky.com/nintendo-switch-leaks-emily-rodgers-appear-mostly-false-now/

c0de

She wrote a series of tweets and articles in the months leading up to the launch of the Switch with supposed leaks consisting of stuff anyone could work out about the system from PR sources mixed in with clickbaity stuff that turned out to be false such as Zelda having a gender choice option for the player character and Pokemon coming in the first year. She doesn't have a great track record on Nintendo rumours.

https://www.racingjunky.com/nintendo-switch-leaks-emily-rodgers-appear-mostly-false-now/

Sounds like a "good" start for a new community.

Edit:
screenshotat2017-10-228uko.png
Good sign for objectivity.

GobFather

Agreed.

Edit:
Why is PSgermany responding? Curious

NeoGAF just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about edge-lord suicide posts (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is on Reddit where you can become successful by copying other peoples' memes until you make it to the frontpage. If you screw the community over on NeoGAF, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance. 

What this means is the GAF community, after seeing all the super edgy suicide posts, won't keep their sock puppet accounts around anymore, nor will they whitelist the site on adblock when they eventually comeback. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but NeoGAF has alienated an entire market with recent actions.

NeoGAF, publicly apologize and cancel the cancellation of the OT or you can kiss your business goodbye.
Well played sir, well played.

E-phonk

Banned
She wrote a series of tweets and articles in the months leading up to the launch of the Switch with supposed leaks consisting of stuff anyone could work out about the system from PR sources mixed in with clickbaity stuff that turned out to be false such as Zelda having a gender choice option for the player character and Pokemon coming in the first year. She doesn’t have a great track record on Nintendo rumours.

That article links to a polygon article as source, that doesn't mention about Emily Rogers anywhere.

She also had a lot of stuff right way before anybody else did.

Besides that she wrote some great articles.
http://www.dromble.com/2014/01/07/dolphin-tale-story-of-gamecube/

fuzaco

What's with all the negativity for Resetera? Nobody wins if it fails, the old gaf communities will fall apart, and noone is going to come back here anyway. I hope it succeeds.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
What's with all the negativity for Resetera? Nobody wins if it fails, the old gaf communities will fall apart, and noone is going to come back here anyway. I hope it succeeds.

I hope it does well. I do think some people left with genuine issues with GAF, I also think a lot left by jumping to conclusions about a situation they don’t know enough about to judge.

Just feels a bit strange to me.

To my understanding, Evillore profits from our discussions here. I can see why people object to that if they don't align with him morally.

Personally, I don't believe the accusations. I think the burden of proof is on the person making the accusation, and we've not seen anything that comes even close to that, thus far. It's all to easy to make a post on facebook and watch the villagers burn down that guys life, and I'm just not willing to be part of that.

To clarify, I think sexual harassment is absolutely wrong, but I just don't think the accounts provided in recent events add up to that. I also don't think these cases are as black and white as people like to pretend.

FunkyMonk

To my understanding, Evillore profits from our discussions here. I can see why people object to that if they don't align with him morally.

Personally, I don't believe the accusations. I think the burden of proof is on the person making the accusation, and we've not seen anything that comes even close to that, thus far. It's all to easy to make a post on facebook and watch the villagers burn down that guys life, and I'm just not willing to be part of that.

To clarify, I think sexual harassment is absolutely wrong, but I just don't think the accounts provided in recent events add up to that. I also don't think these cases are as black and white as people like to pretend.

You are aware that EL hasn't denied following her into the shower naked right? Instead he went for the 'bitches be crazy' defense, span the mods a fantastical yarn involving a scientology spin off cult drugging and trying to rape him then blamed OT and nuked the site for the weekend. All of them actions are pretty telling as far as I'm concerned.

TTOOLL

I doubt people apply these standards in real life. You wouldn't be friends with anybody, you wouldn't buy in a lot of places because they sure have done some questionable things in life, as has anybody else.

Anyway, to people saying "I don't wanna be a part of this situation". YOU ARE NOT. It changes nothing in your lives. Leave the internet for a while, that's not how life works.

Dacon

Banned
If people don't feel comfortable posting on this board they should definitely leave.

Being allowed to post on a message board isn't a right after all. If the people in charge do things you don't approve of the best course of action is to leave, after all they aren't obligated to bend over backwards to appease any segment of the community. Especially after it has been proven that a significant amount of people will continue to reside in said community despite the fuss.

It's a better alternative to everyone just tearing into each other over whatever defined or perceived ideological biases and misdeeds. You're not going to agree on everything and everyone isn't going to get along in some communities, and if you can't accept that you can always find another community more accommodating.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Edit:

This kinda bitter pushback of you and others is likely some kind of coping mechanism. It's natural, many feel absolutely torn on potentially losing their favorite forum.
When all hell broke loose last weekend, no-one was happy to see the community burn. I mean, a lot of us have been on this site for years even decades.

Being on the inside, ResetEra has seen overwhelmingly positive responses so far. It will undoubtedly have it's own hurdles and quirks, but the level of discourse and sheer positivity on display in the various discords and subcommunities makes me confident that this might just be the best thing to ever happen to the GAF community.

I mean, it's good to remain critical. No-one knows exactly how it'll all pan out.
And without actually being in the discord and seeing who's there and what's happening it's kinda hard to imagine ResetEra as a positive thing and not just some angry ex-posters looking to usurp the throne.
But I assure you that everything going on behind the scenes at RE is long past the stages of resentment. It's sheer excitement about starting fresh without all this baggage from the current owner.

It's a specific attitude that I don't have, but I respect people's right to have.

Not wanting to support something that in turn supports someone who has committed actions they don't agree with

There was a large number of people saying they'd boycott A Hat In Time because it had Jon Tron in. Their treatment of GAF is no different. Its also admirable that despite being so important to their lives, they are still willing to give up GAF to stand up for something.

For me it's as you say. I don't believe we have enough information, and I don't believe it's my place to judge. But I respect those that have taken this stand.

This is what NeoGAF has always been doing for gaming personalities. Just now we've heavily discussed all the recent sexual harassment scandals relating to Naughty Dog. Would it not be biased to ignore the founder of this very website? What freedom of speech, what self-criticism, what self-respect is there if we criticize others but not the people in power of our very own community?

Two good and complementary post. I personally just want to ResetEra starts.

Dacon

Banned
Serious question - as no one knows who the mods are. How do you get your account deleted?

Wouldn't this happen regardless if you just stopped using it? Why do people need to ask to be banned when they can just leave? Some sort of affirmation?

Considering at the very least on the OT side the majority of main posters in
TVGaf, Movie & BoxOffice Gaf, ComicGaf, FigureGaf, AnimeGaf and many more are gone.
So even if the OT returns there goes like 90% of that interest and chunk of the community.

And thats not even counting the gaming side communities.

Gaf was amazing because of the community and how it was an excellent hub for many different things.
Any branch being shaken hurts Gaf as a whole.
Yeah some OT guys never came to the gaming side but this is mainly a gaming forum.
those people not constantly hanging around is going to slow news and discussion down considerably.

Wouldn't this happen regardless if you just stopped using it? Why do people need to ask to be banned when they can just leave? Some sort of affirmation?

I don't want my account to be left active here. I want it to be deleted if possible. If banning is the closest thing to that and it's all that's available then that'll have to do.

I've made my points, there's no point carrying on repeating the same things over and over.

numble

Because they want to terminate the royalty-free license to exploit their content.

tci

I don't want my account to be left active here. I want it to be deleted if possible. If banning is the closest thing to that and it's all that's available then that'll have to do.

I've made my points, there's no point carrying on repeating the same things over and over.
Deleting accounts on forums is a silly thing to do, since it messes up the entire post history. That only should be done with spam accounts.

If you want out, log off. It is very simple.

Dacon

Banned

It doesn't matter if it is active or not, if you're not using it the account has no meaning, from what I understand it gets deleted without use over time.

Because they want to terminate the royalty-free license to exploit their content.

I'm going to need some context on this. I don't think anyone publishes user posts for profits.

LordRaptor

Depends on what you think core members are. I already saw some leave and thought "thanks for leaving".

Haha. Indeed.

Particularly some of the "Anyone left here is a terrible person, now excuse me while I post goatse" types.

I think he is saying that in the end we take up a moral stance only when the cost is really low. See real boycotts for news organisations, Internet and tech companies, media companies, etc...

Yes, but thats always been true.
"I believe in free speech... unless its something I don't want to hear"
"I believe in innocent until proven guilty.... but I don't like that guy so fuck that guy"

"Having principles" doesn't amount to much as an abstract concept, its the application of principles when confronted with ethical dilemmas.

e:
And to be clear, I entirely respect those who are following their conscience and leaving.
I'm less respectful of those clearly bandwaggoning and making a big visible deal about how they are bandwaggoning

numble

It doesn't matter if it is active or not, if you're not using it the account has no meaning, from what I understand it gets deleted without use over time.

I'm going to need some context on this. I don't think anyone publishes user posts for profits.
Read the terms of service. You grant NeoGAF the right to exploit your posts and private messages for profit. Your post is being published right now for profit. If someone looks at a page with your old post, it is being published for profit.

Read the terms of service. You grant NeoGAF the right to exploit your posts and private messages for profit. Your post is being published right now for profit. If someone looks at a page with your old post, it is being published for profit.

No one is going to be interested in my old posts.

So, now I get why those other people are posting crap/spam. That's literally the only way to get blocked?

No named mods so they can't even confirm that, if you don't post for x amount of time it's deleted.

Top Bottom