• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective |OT| Spoiler: The Main Character Dies

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Zerokku said:
Stuck on Chapter 10

Can't for the life of me figure out how to get the medicine bottle back to the justice minister

Only thing thats stumped me so far.

Can anyone help with this?

NTom64

Zerokku said:

If I recall correctly, this is how I did it.

Go over to the right side, make the globe knock the yellow jar onto the floor.

Go back to the left side, then go to the top. Undo the left part of the picture.

Go back to the right side, then go to the top. Undo the right part of the picture, and it will drop the the floor.

Manipulate the Globe and roll it onto the see-saw.

Go back to the left side, and make the melon knock over the black jar. It'll hit the see-saw and send the globe flyng on to the sword of the suit of armour on the left.

Manipulate the sword and the bottle will go flying over to the Minister.

Done!

Jintor

Zerokku said:

You need to get
the melon onto the sword.

To do this, you need to somehow get the melon from one side of the mantlepiece to the other.

Oh screw it Tom already said it > >

/edit This chapter select thing is boss, I can go just straight up and rewatch the ending if I feel like it. Awesome!

LiK

dream said:
That panic dance is so amazingly wacky.

i made a previous post about it but i've seen that dance in an old Hong Kong 80's movie. i dunno how it ended up in the game. guess the animators remembered it subconsciously XD

I'd be totally playing this game right this second if any store within a billion mile radius had it for sale.

The shipment to Canada must of been hella low.

dream

LiK said:
i made a previous post about it but i've seen that dance in an old Hong Kong 80's movie. i dunno how it ended up in the game. guess the animators remembered it subconsciously XD

Do you remember which movie it was? I'd love to see actual humans do that.

(especially if it's Leslie Cheung or Chow Yun Fat)

LiK

dream said:
Do you remember which movie it was? I'd love to see actual humans do that.

(especially if it's Leslie Cheung or Chow Yun Fat)

the one that comes to mind is Mr. Vampire, i think. it was hugely popular back in the day and helped propel the popularity of those Chinese ghosts/vampire movies. i haven't watched it since i was a kid but i swear there's a scene that had that dance in it. it was after one of the main characters is bitten and needs to dance on some rice to get rid of the curse. (yea, totally ridiculous movie) ;)

i need to rewatch it someday to confirm if i'm right.

taoofjord

I've played about an hour of it and am absolutely LOVING it. The game and the story is pure fun, even if the writing isn't all that special. This is the type of japanese adventure game I can get behind 100%.

dream

suzu said:
I pretty much loved all the antics by those two guards lol.

The way the non dancing guard spins around in his chair is so fabulously dramatic.

I love how all the characters are so quirky. They're like walking Phoenix Wright cross-examinations.

Wizpig

Is the Christmas Demo still on the Nintendo channel?

I think it's all original content that is not in the full game, soo...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
this has barely been on my mind, and I never dream about video games, but bizarrely all I can remember of a dream I had last night is looking on a store shelf and being surprised that they were selling the Japanese version of Ghost Trick.

Weird.

LiK

Looks like rotoscope because of how smooth it animates but I think it's 3D models made to look like sprites. Similar to KOF12 and 13.

Jintor

I noticed that the animation in the game is of a very high quality, There are lots of unique animations with no repetition. For example, in the opening scene, a lady backs up against a fence and quickly glances back at it. Why devote so much effort to the animation, and how are you creating it?

First of all, in terms of how we made the motions, we did not use any motion capturing whatsoever. So the modeler actually went in there and made everything from scratch with polygons and from the ground up. We were able to put in a lot of those little nuances, a lot of those little details, because we were in full control of the actual motions and animations of the characters. One of the reasons we did that is -- not to disparage Western games or anything -- but a lot of the motions in Western games are very broad, and Japanese people are a little bit more sensitive to nuances and to little details. And so we paid really close attention to details, because that's what they find appealing about the characters, about the motions and being able to express that, and just as a user being able to view that kind of detailed, nuanced motion.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/07/02/interview-ghost-trick-and-ace-attorney-director-shu-takumi/

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
just started this game and just wow. With 999 and now this I'm back in love with my DS (and it was only neglected in the first place because there was an overwhelming number of good games).

Just a few questions, I'm gonna vaguely talk about the game tutorial/first 10 minutes so I'm not gonna use spoiler tags:

Is it like Phoenix Wright in that there's only one path through the game? How linear is it?

I'm not sure what the best way is to see everything first time through. For example when time is moving you can't always see what's going on. I kinda wish I could the action cos it oozes personality and bits of story might unfold and so on. The reactions are also amazing.

But because of the gameplay mechanics, I find myself rushing to do my part and I either don't see what happens at all or I cut them off before everything plays out.

How have you guys been approaching it?

Jintor

Ultra linear.

While time is moving just scroll the screen. If action is taking place during the four-minute-ago world it's something you've already watched anyway. If it changes the scene then your attention will be drawn to it.

epmode

kaizoku said:
Is it like Phoenix Wright in that there's only one path through the game? How linear is it?
99% linear. You can often go to areas which don't have anything to do with the main story at the time but all it will amount to is a tiny bit of unique text.

In fact, your next stop is obvious throughout the entire game. No wandering around at all.

GhaleonQ

Okay. Graphic adventure games are the only ones where I turn my critical brain off when 1st playing them. Now, to a 2nd playthrough and actual analysis!

(I will say that I was very disappointed with the soundtrack when it was 1st released, but I relistened to it this year and have now played the game. Both helped totally reverse my opinion. It's still not spectacular, but it's quite excellent.)

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Jintor said:
Ultra linear.

While time is moving just scroll the screen. If action is taking place during the four-minute-ago world it's something you've already watched anyway. If it changes the scene then your attention will be drawn to it.

well for example when you save the girl at the start and you're using the crane etc, they're having a conversation off screen, I was tempted to let them talk some more so I could see if anything would be said, but in the end I just went for it. But I feel like I maybe missed something, even if it was just a death animation or final one liner.

Kinda made me wish they used the top screen to follow the action and kept the rest of it as small icons somewhere else.

Boney

Banned
GhaleonQ said:
Okay. Graphic adventure games are the only ones where I turn my critical brain off when 1st playing them. Now, to a 2nd playthrough and actual analysis!

(I will say that I was very disappointed with the soundtrack when it was 1st released, but I relistened to it this year and have now played the game. Both helped totally reverse my opinion. It's still not spectacular, but it's quite excellent.)
if only i could find the monocle guy with his computer pic

(laughs)

Jintor

kaizoku said:
well for example when you save the girl at the start and you're using the crane etc, they're having a conversation off screen, I was tempted to let them talk some more so I could see if anything would be said, but in the end I just went for it. But I feel like I maybe missed something, even if it was just a death animation or final one liner.

Kinda made me wish they used the top screen to follow the action and kept the rest of it as small icons somewhere else.

That conversation is just like a line or two from the four-minutes-ago rewind.

Took a look at the demo (LTTP,) and the animation was really impressive. What it reminded me the most of, however?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v559cYVKp34

Okay, that's an arcade game from 1986, but stylistically it has this "don't be stingy on the frames" feel that makes the movements feel a little slower, smoother, more...I guess the best word would be "deliberate." The redhead's arms don't shoot up in a couple of quick frames to indicate surrender, they glide up. In a game as text-heavy as this appears to be, it's nice to see they took that time to show off everything that's happening.

I haven't checked - is it available in Canada yet, finally?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hit up three local GameStops in a twenty mile radius, finally tracked a copy down. I really should just order from Amazon next time...

In the middle of...I dunno, the chapter where you first visit the prison:
Just got out of investigating prisoner D99. Its pretty obvious the reason Lynne has to solve this case is because he's on death row. He's obviously someone close to her, but how does he know both her and me, but we don't know each other? The questions about.

EDIT:
She shot me
!
Why would she shoot me?! TWEWY flashbacks!

Ruzai

Wizpig said:
Is the Christmas Demo still on the Nintendo channel?

I think it's all original content that is not in the full game, soo...

Sadly, not really. The scenario is unique to the demo, but the puzzles it surrounds are identical to what's in the game. Still worth playing though, if only for more Missile.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Boney said:
Isn't it like 3d models turned sprites?
I really hope Capcom had the foresight to keep the masters to the 3D models, and didn't just delete them when the game was done.

Jintor

The_Technomancer said:
Hit up three local GameStops in a twenty mile radius, finally tracked a copy down. I really should just order from Amazon next time...

In the middle of...I dunno, the chapter where you first visit the prison:
Just got out of investigating prisoner D99. Its pretty obvious the reason Lynne has to solve this case is because he's on death row. He's obviously someone close to her, but how does he know both her and me, but we don't know each other? The questions about.

EDIT:
She shot me
!
Why would she shoot me?! TWEWY flashbacks!

hosannainexcelsis said:
Just got to Chapter 15. A whole new level of craziness has been reached. Just - craziness.

Please keep posting your impressions. I feed on them

Datschge

Someone needs to write impressions after every single chapter on the first playthrough. Every chapter ends with a twist and a cliff hanger. Reading those impressions after completing the whole rollercoaster ride should be a lot of fun. (laughs)

Datschge said:
Someone needs to write impressions after every single chapter on the first playthrough. Every chapter ends with a twist and a cliff hanger. Reading those impressions after completing the whole rollercoaster ride should be a lot of fun. (laughs)
Aw I wish I did that....maybe next playthrough :p

zoku88

Just finished (well, just started yesterday).

Wow, I didn't think the plot would be so unpredictable. Especially the end @_@

Finished! What a wild ride!

Never in my wildest dreams would I have suspected from the setup where it actually ended up. The story was excellently paced. I especially loved how it would start strongly telegraphing the huge twists and developments a little before explicitly revealing them, letting the revelation slowly dawn on you. For instance, as soon as the idea of a "manipulator" was brought up and it was mentioned that memory is hazy when you've been manipulated, I thought that must have been what happened when Lynne shot Sissel. And when the cat showed up in the final chapter, I realized that Sissel was probably that cat.

Making Sissel the cat was a pretty neat move, I have to say. They set it up at the very beginning when the cat pops out of the box and seems to be very much alive - who would have guessed that we already had a dead spirit mucking about? It explains so much - why Sissel can't remember his past, why he can't read, and why he's unaware of basic concepts like "water pressure". Very satisfying resolution. The very last scene, where Sissel leaps from Yomiel's painting to the family photo was a perfect way to finish - a final indication of how he has broken his and everyone else's solitary fate, and created a loving future of community for them all.

I want to let it set a little, but I think this may be Takumi's best work to date. I really like Ace Attorney 3, but Ghost Trick is such a complete package between the animation, puzzles, characters, and plot.

Between this and 999, the DS has been tearing it up with awesome ADVs lately. I hope this trend continues into the next generation.

Top Bottom