• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective |OT| Spoiler: The Main Character Dies

Erigu

I thought I'd explain the name puns, as they're generally Japanese-based and thus not necessarily obvious to English-speaking gamers... It might interest some of you. Then again, maybe not.

[I wouldn't advise reading the following (or anything marked as a SPOILER in this topic, really) until after the game is completed]

Pretty much all of the character names are puns related to death, death rituals or an afterlife.

Sissel
From the Japanese "shiseru", meaning "dead".

Lynne
From the Japanese "rinne", meaning "Saṃsāra".

Kuneri ["Ray" in the English translation]
From the Japanese "kuneru", meaning "to wiggle" / "to flex" / "to bend".

Jeego
From the Japanese "jigoku", meaning "hell".

Sith [the foreign commander, I don't know if they changed his name in the English translation... could someone tell me so I can edit the post accordingly?]
From the Japanese "shisu", meaning "to die".

Tengo [the second assassin, same thing as above: was the name changed?]
From the Japanese "tengoku", meaning "heaven".

Kanon ["Kamilla" in the English translation]
From "Kannon", the Japanese name of Guanyin. As a secondary pun, "kanon" is also the kana rendering of the French word "canon", meaning "cannon". Takumi thought that was a good fit, considering her duo with "Missile".
She was originally supposed to be named "Ribbon", a pun on "reborn", but they felt naming a ribbon-wearing character "Ribbon" was a bit too much.

Missile
I'm not sure what the exact origin of that name is: the police dog in Gyakuten Saiban / Ace Attorney, or Takumi Shû's own Pomeranian also named "Missile"?

Emma [the Justice Minister's wife, same thing as above: was the name changed?]
From "Enma", the Japanese name of Yama.

Eimin [the Justice Minister's daughter, same thing as above: was the name changed?]
From the Japanese "eimin", meaning "eternal sleep" as an euphemism for death.

(otchindoru) [the Justice minister, his name isn't mentioned in-game and I don't know what the proper alphabet spelling should be]
Probably from the Japanese "o' shindoru", meaning "oh! he's dead".

MacCaw [the green detective, same thing as above: was the name changed?]
From the Japanese "makkô", meaning "incense powder".

Cabanela
From the Japanese "shikabane", meaning "corpse".

Rindge [the detective with the hat, same thing as above: was the name changed?]
From the Japanese "rinjû", meaning "last moments (before death)".

Dabira [the hippie, his name isn't mentioned in-game]
From the Japanese "dabi", meaning "cremation".

Bozu ["Baily" or "Bailey" (which is it?) in the English translation]
From the Japanese "bôzu", meaning "bonze".

Jowd [Kanon/Kamilla's father, same thing as above: was the name changed?]
From the Japanese "jôdo", meaning "pure land"

Memry [the waitress/undercover cop, same thing as above: was the name changed?]
From the Latin "memento mori", meaning "remember you will die".

(aruma) [Kanon/Kamilla's mother, I don't know what the proper alphabet spelling should be nor how she's called in the English translation]
From the English "Armageddon".

Yomiel
From the Japanese "yomigaeru", meaning "to come back to life". Counterpart to "Sissel" / "shiseru".

(I included some hyperlinks, but they may not show up in spoilered text like that... check around)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Jintor said:
35af582f24d634b347fd5411514dbff1.jpg
That is a ridiculously good imitation of the PA style. I had to triple check it wasn't.

The Technomancer

Jintor said:
Actually, it is. Capcom commissioned a bunch of Ghost Trick works from a couple of Webcomc dudes.
Ohhh, okay! I was like "checked PA today and it totally was not that. Also, will be making excursions to the local Best Buy, Gamestop, etc, etc, in order to track down a copy of this tomorrow. I will not fail!

dvolovets

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I have one criticism with games like this.

Once it's over, that's it. :(

I get so into this game that I don't want the game to end! But that's a compliment to the game because it's that good!

I'm a little over half way now. Guess I have to enjoy it while it lasts. :(
Took the words right out of my mouth. :( I'm going to enjoy replaying Ghost Trick...in a couple of years. Haha.

syoaran

Jintor said:
Actually, it is. Capcom commissioned a bunch of Ghost Trick works from a couple of Webcomc dudes.

Indeed - I think pretty much every commercial gaming comic got hit up. Some more succesful than others (CAD failed, PA ruled).

Realised the postman had just left the parcel with my DS games outside my door rather than put it though the letterbox - but success I have Ghost Trick, 3xLayton and KH:recoded.

Ghost Trick is as amazing as it was demo'd, I really liked the puzzle elements and graphical style. Music as ace as always ~

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
dvolovets said:
Took the words right out of my mouth. :( I'm going to enjoy replaying Ghost Trick...in a couple of years. Haha.
Oh shit you have bad memory too? High five

I was playing Phoenix Wright 1 just a few months ago and, apart from the general story, I forgot most of it. So I enjoyed it pretty good :)

Jintor

To be honest almost all the webcomic jokes were variations on a theme of 'posess something hot/disgusting'

That's why the terrible pun comic I posted on the previous page was my favourite.

Teetris said:
Get Last Window and Hotel Dusk!!! HD first, but they are both as awesome as this game.
Played Hotel Dusk, one of the very first DS games I ever owned!

I wish Last Window wasn't so expensive. I wish I didn't have to import. Damn you NoA!!!

But all is forgiven because of Dragon Quest VI! :D

The Technomancer

syoaran said:
Indeed - I think pretty much every commercial gaming comic got hit up. Some more succesful than others (CAD failed, PA ruled).
Just...looked up the CAD one...this guy still has fans? The PvP one had a similar terrible idea, but at least passable execution.

Boney

Banned
zigg said:
Yes. But that doesn't mean you can click the spoilers.
I actually did with that one just above ;_;

completely forgot what I was doing, at least it wasn't anything big.

zigg

Boney said:
I actually did with that one just above ;_;

completely forgot what I was doing, at least it wasn't anything big.

Well, we can't have that. Will change avatar back

Datschge said:
It probably has to change again since the staff roll still includes Inafune. =P They better don't mess with him again, I want more...
That's right. Inafune is gone too! D: Was he the executive producer for Ghost Trick too? Does Capcom even have anymore executive producers left? I imagine that Jun Takeuchi got a promotion.

LiK

ninj4junpei said:
That's right. Inafune is gone too! D: Was he the executive producer for Ghost Trick too? Does Capcom even have anymore executive producers left? I imagine that Jun Takeuchi got a promotion.

the next Exec Producer will simply be the Capcom logo :D

LiK said:
the next Exec Producer will simply be the Capcom logo :D
I wouldn't be surprised. It sounds like the executive producer job at Capcom is cursed. D: More likely than naught, the business side of Capcom must be a real pain in the ass to deal with.

Totakeke

Mm, I don't want a sequel unless Shu Takumi wants it, let the man do his thing I'd say.

Though it was never explained
how the foreign lady got her ghost sensing powers.

Just got to Chapter 5 and this game is amazing! I love the art style, the animation is beautifully done (each character has their own style of movement), the characters are quirky and charming, the puzzles are well-constructed, the localization is well-written, the mystery is well set up - everything is brilliance! I'm so excited to see where things will go from here.

Jintor

Totakeke said:
Mm, I don't want a sequel unless Shu Takumi wants it, let the man do his thing I'd say.

Though it was never explained
how the foreign lady got her ghost sensing powers.

That country was doing research into Temsik, after all, so it's not implausible that she really does have a sixth sense.

Or she could've thought there was someone hiding there, or another ladybug. Who knows?

Totakeke

Jintor said:
That country was doing research into Temsik, after all, so it's not implausible that she really does have a sixth sense.

Or she could've thought there was someone hiding there, or another ladybug. Who knows?

Sure, anyone can make up any explanations so they wish, but the game didn't do it is was my point. You can make more stuffs out of that hanging plot line.

Ceebs

Anyone mind helping me out here with Chapter

I swear I have tried every combination of ramps and knocking stuff off the wall to get the medicine. I had to quit before I threw my DS at a wall.

LiK

Ceebs said:
Anyone mind helping me out here with Chapter

I swear I have tried every combination of ramps and knocking stuff off the wall to get the medicine. I had to quit before I threw my DS at a wall.

you need to get the Globe onto the left knight's sword. took me 4 tries to figure that out.

kiryogi

Banned
if I recall correctly. You want to drop the heavy vase last. So drop the one on the right first. Then drop the frame so it creates a seesaw. Then drop the globe and finally drop the heavy vase. Viola. The globe will be on the otherside giving you the reach you need to knock the medicine to the minister.

Jintor

Totakeke said:
Sure, anyone can make up any explanations so they wish, but the game didn't do it is was my point. You can make more stuffs out of that hanging plot line.

The whole other nation isn't really touched upon at all, really, and since the climax of the plot is less conspiracy theory and more emotional carthasis it's kinda irrelevant

Edit that puzzles you dudes are stuck on took me two tries. Go me. :D

Ceebs

kiryogi said:
if I recall correctly. You want to drop the heavy vase last. So drop the one on the right first. Then drop the frame so it creates a seesaw. Then drop the globe and finally drop the heavy vase. Viola. The globe will be on the otherside giving you the reach you need to knock the medicine to the minister.
Got it. thanks.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Crumpet Trumpet said:
I hope this game sells better worldwide than it did in Japan :/

How well do Ace Attorney titles usually do in NA?
Me too! This thread needs to get as much buzz as the 999 thread.

Did the first two chapters. Soooo good. And yes... I admit it... Missle is awesome.

Totakeke

Jintor said:
The whole other nation isn't really touched upon at all, really, and since the climax of the plot is less conspiracy theory and more emotional carthasis it's kinda irrelevant

Edit that puzzles you dudes are stuck on took me two tries. Go me. :D

Who says that has to be a conspiracy theory? That's just what you think. And since it wasn't touched at all, it can be touched upon. Now stop arguing for the sake of arguing. ;p

Jintor

Totakeke said:
Who says that has to be a conspiracy theory? That's just what you think. And since it wasn't touched at all, it can be touched upon. Now stop arguing for the sake of arguing. ;p

You've trapped me in an arguement vortex!

Totakeke

That's pretty cool.

I wish there was a high res image of that last painting. Could use it as a wallpaper for my portable devices.

epmode

So I think I'm on the last chapter.

This starts good and ends fuckawesome. I love it.

...but I kinda hope that Takumi
tries to script a game that doesn't revolve around a MYSTERIOUS CASE FROM TEN YEARS AGO. What is it, every single Ace Attorney game now?

Totakeke

epmode said:
So I think I'm on the last chapter.

This starts good and ends fuckawesome. I love it.

...but I kinda hope that Takumi
tries to script a game that doesn't revolve around a MYSTERIOUS CASE FROM TEN YEARS AGO. What is it, every single Ace Attorney game now?

Well you do have to admit that's his strength. Giving characters a history of their own is what distinguishes his games from others. What else would you rather him do? I can't really think of any. ;p

Just finished. Wow! I don't think I've ever played a game quite like this. Who would have though I would find my GOTY two weeks into the year. lol

Absolutely loved Sissel's "true identity", and I also cannot stop smiling at the fact that Missle turned out to be the wise jedi mastah. Awesome conclusion.

Top Bottom